Strain names.

• Thread starter BigCube
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BakAlleyKush

Ive been growing a couple of years and i always get some seeds in my harvest. It may just be 8 seeds or 20 seeds per pound but i dont know where the heck the pollens coming from. I called my first seeds Back Alley Kush because it looks like kush and grew in my backyard near the Back Alley...is it kush...idk...does it matter...not really...because i smoke and give away my flowers. No profit or genes that i need to protect just growing the best dank i possibly can.

B

BakAlleyKush

You guys are lucky though...access to name brand weed in the 90s...ja. In the 90s i had 3 types of weed i could get...(1) Stress or Schwagg which was 5 bucks a bag and typically had like 10 seeds per bag, (2) Indo or Pretendo which was 10 bucks a bag and typically had 2 or no seeds, and (3) Chronic or Kush which was 20 bucks a gram bag and had no seeds or you were lucky if you found a seed. There was none of this Sativa Indicka Dominant BS. People didnt develop these opinions until dispensaries started popping up, before it was just low/mid/high in South Los Angeles.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Wow, I remember in 1997-05, weed dealers in Surrey BC were nearly as well stocked with top shelf pot as most modern dispensaries.

When I moved to Surrey my first dealer was a 6'6" dude named stretch that sold weed out of a warehouse on King George. First visit I had my choice of about 12 different strains, I remember skunk, double 0, Northern lights, Blueberry, shishkaberry, Champagne and the purps, but he had a bunch of others, a whole shelf of kill. I bought a half oz each of skunk and shiskaberry for $80 Cdn each and left with a free, ridiculously strong pot cookie lol. I'll never forget stinking up the city bus like a roadkill skunk just high af when I left lol.

BigCube, I think we just had it really good back then man and people who didnt experience it don't understand. I remember visiting family in washington state and their weed was literal garbage compared to what we had in BC at the time. It didnt even compare. And I'm sure my family there also thinks weed has gotten a lot better and stronger. For them it has. But I'm actually finding a slight decline in overall quality over the last 10-15 years. A lot of the hyped modern strains dont taste or smell as good as a lot of the good pot used to.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Wow, I remember in 1997-05, weed dealers in Surrey BC were nearly as well stocked with top shelf pot as most modern dispensaries.

When I moved to Surrey my first dealer was a 6'6" dude named stretch that sold weed out of a warehouse on King George. First visit I had my choice of about 12 different strains, I remember skunk, double 0, Northern lights, Blueberry, shishkaberry, Champagne and the purps, but he had a bunch of others, a whole shelf of kill. I bought a half oz each of skunk and shiskaberry for $80 Cdn each and left with a free, ridiculously strong pot cookie lol. I'll never forget stinking up the city bus like a roadkill skunk just high af when I left lol.

BigCube, I think we just had it really good back then man and people who didnt experience it don't understand. I remember visiting family in washington state and their weed was literal garbage compared to what we had in BC at the time. It didnt even compare. And I'm sure my family there also thinks weed has gotten a lot better and stronger. For them it has. But I'm actually finding a slight decline in overall quality over the last 10-15 years. A lot of the hyped modern strains dont taste or smell as good as a lot of the good pot used to.

I agree about the decline in quality. It was different in the states obviously but if you worked with eatablished growers there was great weed.

Ak47, trainwreck, white widow and skunk were some I had the pleasure of. There were many more over the years. But the growers grew one cut usually and as much of it as they could. Many grows were temporary and mobile after the rounds.

I was referred to new spots often.

And i managed at car dealerships for my regular job.

Different life now for sure.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Awesome! Nice to hear there are others out there growing their stuff! I’d love to see how your gals are growing / turning out!

At the moment I'm growing Kubanskiy Ubiyza, Katyusha, and Moscow Blueberry outside (BC), and Lavanda Cream and AK Kush inside. All have been great in veg and have cloned ridiculously easily (like, top a lady and put the top straight into dirt watered with willow water and it's essentially as good as a new plant easy), and have responded well to stem crushing, supercropping, defoliation, and LST. I snapped a branch of the Kubanskiy almost all the way off and just kinda braced it there with a zip tie, expecting to lose it, and came out the next day to the branch growing free of the zip tie. Just some silly "fuck you" kinda growth.

I'm planning on running the Black Babushka, Purple Mazar Auto, and Blue Acid Auto to start next season. I know it's nerdy as shit but I'm excited to be working with stuff so close to a landrace Ruderalis.

The only other company I've used with equal results in germination and plant virility has been HSO.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'm on the island, shoot me a message if you're ever around. Just moved here, so I'm still getting my feet wet, but goddamn BC is beautiful.

Right on, I'm on a small island in the broken coast off eastern Vancouver island myself.

Paradise man.

MooseFarts

MooseFarts

At the moment I'm growing Kubanskiy Ubiyza, Katyusha, and Moscow Blueberry outside (BC), and Lavanda Cream and AK Kush inside. All have been great in veg and have cloned ridiculously easily (like, top a lady and put the top straight into dirt watered with willow water and it's essentially as good as a new plant easy), and have responded well to stem crushing, supercropping, defoliation, and LST. I snapped a branch of the Kubanskiy almost all the way off and just kinda braced it there with a zip tie, expecting to lose it, and came out the next day to the branch growing free of the zip tie. Just some silly "fuck you" kinda growth.

I'm planning on running the Black Babushka, Purple Mazar Auto, and Blue Acid Auto to start next season. I know it's nerdy as shit but I'm excited to be working with stuff so close to a landrace Ruderalis.

The only other company I've used with equal results in germination and plant virility has been HSO.

Oh man if you ever get a chance please do share pics of them. Id love to see. But in regards to the plants' response to stress mine are amazing! rebound after many toppings, stem crushing, pruning, super cropping, and a shit ton of LST. The Kubanskiy Ubiyza is used to breed the Kalashnikov Express, which is one plant from them I am growing. My dog stomped it right on the base to snap roots, it poured rain on it and drowned and it still lived and is still a decent sized plant. I bet it will still yield well.

I know I wanna run strains from the same company, but Im not sure which ones yet since they all look so good! I hate to jump so off topic on the thread so if you want to see check out my grow diary to see the express strains im growing plus one white widow 47

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Well something kind of funny going on the whole naming scheme that got some people in trouble. Take Hells Angels OG aka Biker Kush now. From what I heard some people got talked to for using their name in shops that they didn't approve of.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Got to disagree with ya Big. I know for a fact that some of the new strains coming out are crazy high in potency. 25 years ago the thc levels were much lower than today’s cannabis. Plus the genetics are changing, high bred, cross strain, the development of cannabis is increasing daily. And trust me I know what TOP shelf cannabis is .

How surprised would you be to know 90% of all those "new" strains are old Sensi, Positronics, SSSC stuff from the 80's and 90's? They are just hybrids of hybrids. But somewhere in the linage you are going to run up on 1 or quite a bit more of those strains. They aren't new at all. You can't just keep crossing og x cookies. You will hit a dead end at some point. I'll also bet if you are crossing og x cookies both of them have 1 or more of those older strains in them each at some point.

I think that brings up the point you all were talking about comparing new to old. With legal weed, hype, social media, and companies that are no longer underground you are seeing the shift kind of like you see in music when people say "older music was much better." It's not that newer music is worse. It's just there is no gate keeper anymore and anyone with a phone can push it so you have a lot more bad sprinkled in with the good. I run a lot of older stuff from the 90's and 2000's. It's the shit I like. The new stuff I have run def has been good so can't say it has gotten worse. Just you are dealing with the marketing and hype now so it's harder to find the stand out stuff that is gonna be different from one breeder to the next when they are all trying to use the same clones.

I think also the decline as you all stated is when weed was underground qual would make or break you. Some mediocre shit and see ya wouldn't want to be ya. Now with all the cartridges and distillate I don't think qual has to be at the top of the game or even the #1 concern anymore since even in shops they can just slash the prices and turn a buck or run all of it.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Oh man if you ever get a chance please do share pics of them. Id love to see. But in regards to the plants' response to stress mine are amazing! rebound after many toppings, stem crushing, pruning, super cropping, and a shit ton of LST. The Kubanskiy Ubiyza is used to breed the Kalashnikov Express, which is one plant from them I am growing. My dog stomped it right on the base to snap roots, it poured rain on it and drowned and it still lived and is still a decent sized plant. I bet it will still yield well.

I know I wanna run strains from the same company, but Im not sure which ones yet since they all look so good! I hate to jump so off topic on the thread so if you want to see check out my grow diary to see the express strains im growing plus one white widow 47

Awww damn! My dog knocked over a tray of clones once, but she's so worth the mayhem she causes.

I got started so late this year that they're roughly the size now as when yours transplanted. 😄 I actually just topped and cloned the Lavanda Cream (which is an awesome strain name in my book) today- that's been the most finicky of their strains that I've worked with, but there was, uh, some user error on the first germed seed. Looks like they've got another month or two of veg for this climate, so I'm hoping for a decent return around Thanksgiving. I'll take some pics in the next few days!

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Got to disagree with ya Big. I know for a fact that some of the new strains coming out are crazy high in potency. 25 years ago the thc levels were much lower than today’s cannabis. Plus the genetics are changing, high bred, cross strain, the development of cannabis is increasing daily. And trust me I know what TOP shelf cannabis is .

Also to note we had some of the stuff from the 90's/2000's tested and it was up there at the same level with the new stuff. Take that for what it is if you actually put faith in THC level tests which I don't.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Also to note we had some of the stuff from the 90's/2000's tested and it was up there at the same level with the new stuff. Take that for what it is if you actually put faith in THC level tests which I don't.

I know a dude who sent samples of the same crop to 3 different labs and got 3 wildly different results.

BigCube

BigCube

Yeah, I'll trust those tests when there is a single regulated body with government oversight that does the testing.

Too many stories of paying the lab more and getting higher numbers. Or sending the same same sample to different labs and getting way different numbers.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

What if they came out with a strain you absolutely luv, 37% thc, high yield, right up your alley, your telling me you would not smoke or grow beacuse some person named HIS strain baby shit gold, your telling me you would not have anything to do with it? Why? Who cares what people call there strains if I luv it and they just happen to call it dog shit who cares? But I do agree there are some stupid names.

Latest posts

Top Bottom