Summer Grow, Bubba Kush x Blue Moonshine

• Thread starter kolah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kolah

I ran out of edit time from the above post. This version is a bit cleaner. If a mod sees this could you delete the other one?

I am a bit west of Cripple Creek...not far from Spinney Lake and Eleven Mile Rez. I started looking for land in the year 2000. I used realtors mostly with no luck. Lots of wild goose chases to say the least. But my time wasn't wasted because I got to see a lot of regions in my searches. One day a realtor sent me to see a parcel which was on a very sloped unbuildable lot. (of course she never told me that) I went to see the lot and it was very rough terrain and basically on a mountain-side. But adjacent to it was this beautiful lot with a rolling meadow in the center, some big Ponderosa pines all around and dotted out with Aspens. It also had a killer view of Pikes Peak and Mt Piskah. And the north view was wrapped around with rock outcroppings. There were magnificent rocks everywhere that made a natural landscape to die for....and quite a few big Juniper trees as well. Behind the lot was 7000 acres of ranchland so basically there very few neighbors and it was wide open to the wild. I looked for the nearest house to see who might own the land and to see if just maybe they wanted to sell it.

I knocked on the door, a bit worried that I might taken as a trespasser but this middle aged guy answered the door wearing a High Times T-shirt, long grey hair and holding a glass of wine. I apologized to him for coming on his land and than asked him who owned the piece of land and that I would like to buy it. He stated that it was his land and that he hadn't thought about selling it but since his financial situation was tight he asked me what I was willing to pay for it. I told him$ 3000 per acres was the going rate around this area. He said the lot was 26+- acres. I told him I would give him $75,000 for it. He seemed interested but said he'd have to run it by his wife. I gave him my telephone number and we parted ways. Two days later he called and said let's deal. I suggested that he could create the note (loan) and I would give him 15,000 down and finance the other 60k with him at 7% interest. I told him I'd rather pay him the interest instead of paying bankers. We sat down and hashed out the details and I bought it. I sold one of my Harleys for the 15 down payment. (my 69 DynaWide Glide custom chopper that I had for 25 years) . We agreed to a short note, a 10 year span for the 60k and I am glad I did that as it will be paid off in 4 years.

It was a bare lot and I had to fence most of it in myself. I then put up a big deck, perched the tipi on top of that and went to work. I put up a 20x20 pole barn, corrals, the greenhouse and cut me out some roads with my ancient 1962 Case backhoe. My first few years I lived "bare bones." Candles for light, no generator for power and everything I built was cut and nailed in by a hammer and handsaw. I later started using a chainsaw for cutting but disliked the noise it made so i went back to hand-sawing. I chopped down a few trees that were dying from Beetle kill and had plenty of firewood. I cooked outdoors or on top of my woodstove that was in the center of the tipi and vented out through the smoke flaps. I hauled my water in from an artesian well down the road and showered outdoors. It was a bit rough but a great experience. I slowly made improvements as time went on and now anything I do is a luxury to me. Basically I reverted to the food, water and shelter basics of survival. It made me feel alive and finally I had the independence to be responsible and take care of myself as I saw fit....without intrusion from any one or any thing. I had no money but I did have all the time in the world. I often took odd jobs just enough to pay my land payment and then I went back to improving my landsite.

The first winter was extremely hard and there were times when I said "what the fuck am I doing?" But I stuck with it and things got easier. It's just trial and error and if you keep at it you find easier ways to do things. Everything gets refined and then it kinda becomes automatic. Hauling in my water during storms was sometimes a nightmare. My holding tank valves would freeze up,I'd often get stuck in the snow pulling it and one time my 250 gallon tanker blew wide open from the water sloshing around. Often times I'd haul in the water, fill the horse troughs (which took about 250 gallons) and in 2 days the troughs would be frozen blocks of ice. So, I'd have to break up the ice, empty it out and go get another load of water. I could go on and on but will stop there. Lots of hard lessons (and true stories) but for my first year that was to be expected. After paying my dues it's cool to look back and see how far I have come. That first year, as hard as it was still brings a smile to my face now. Because in a sense, I won the battle. I tested my willpower, pushed it to the max and came out on top. It was probably THE most personal accomplishment that I have even made. And it was the most meaningful and self-rewarding experience of my entire life.

Anyway, things are pretty easy now. I will be digging my own well this fall...old style. I'll just dig a square hole in the ground, reinforce the sides as I go down and hope to hit water. Then close it off and build me a crank and pulley system with a bucket on the end to pull up water. The going price for a machine dug well is 16 bucks per foot, another 1000 for the casing and another 1000 for a solar pump. On average folks hit water at 350 feet. That's about 10 grand and highway-fucking robbery.....so I'll keep digging! :) (btw you can hit water at 10-50 feet sometimes up here and that's what I am hoping for) I also have a gal who will water-witch it for me but I already have 2 spots I think are close to water.

I love what I am doing and each step along the way is full of adventure, laced with some heartaches, often a sore back but it gives me a wonderful sense of well-being knowing that I can live simple, take care of myself and still be happy. And be happier than I ever have been. My parents think I lost my mind. (as do many of my so-called "friends"). My parents think I am struggling and poor. I tried to tell them I have never been happier but they just can't grasp my way of living or my passion for self sufficiency. I would have to say THE most biggest challenge of this whole journey has been having to deal with people and all their negativity. That aspect of it has pushed me father away from people who do not share my interests. It's definitely a road less traveled, but it's MY road and it's not always the best route for others.

Honestly I like it that way. But I do hope more folks follow my lead as time goes on because I believe a self sufficient community is the greatest way to live long and prosper. Power is in numbers and a lone wolf doesn't last too long in the wild. We all need our "pack." (much like the community ways of the Amish or Native Indians) It's hard going it alone... but still possible. My next big step is getting rid of my truck and the entire driving legal thing. I'll go horseback when I need to travel.

BTW, if and when TSHF we all won't have a choice. Everyone will be forced into survival mode and I do not think it will be a pretty sight, especially in the big cities. And if nothing happens I will continue on anyways as my main reason for living this way was not because of a fear of Armeggedon, Mayan 2012 predictions or any end-of- the-world scenarios.

I'm just livin', man.

Mogrow

Mogrow

you are a rich man kolah, er i mean jerimah..
keep on rocking in the rockies bra
69 dyna glide, ouch....love me some shovelheads.
peace mogrow

K

kolah

you are a rich man kolah, er i mean jerimah..
keep on rocking in the rockies bra
69 dyna glide, ouch....love me some shovelheads.
peace mogrow

yeah my 69 was considered a pan bottom, shovel top, a rare motor for sure. It was my baby and I really had a hard time parting with it. Toxic Chopper (from Col Springs) bought if and got a deal.

neverbreak

neverbreak

Thanks NB, this is only my second grow so I consider myself a novice. I have learned a lot mostly from reading here on the Farm but I really do not have real-time grow experience. I've grown veggies for 30+ years and my green thumb does help me with my MMJ grow....but I have much to learn yet. I'll get there but in the meantime I have been pretty fortunate so far. Peace all!

fair call bro. still, if ya got a green thumb already and know the basics of growin' mmj, ya should be able to nail it no probs. we'll be here to support ya and help ya as ya go anyway.

neverbreak

Reactions: mal
K

kolah

Thanks NB! I did very well last year and hope to do the same this year.

Well I switched to a different nute fertilizer, from General Organics to Alaskan Fish Liquid (an old garden solution that has been around for years). My Bubbashiners really sucked it up and have come to life. This is good. I'll get some pics up. I have also tied them down and spread their branches out to stimulate some super-cropping powers and boost total yield. So far so good.

The Greenhouse is starting to get a pleasant but subtle floral smell. I can't wait until they all get to flowering but for now I want some big growth. They are all chugging along good....with exception to the one Bubbashine that I pulled out back awhile ago to examine its roots. She's really struggling but I'll give her some TLC and keep her isolated from the others. That's all, folks. It's hotter than shit here.

K

kolah

TOO FUCKIN' HOT!!!! 100 plus in the GH...jesus h!

fricken 100 in the day and high 40's at night.....damn! :mad:

Oceanside

Oceanside

That was a great read Kolah! Props to you and your style...

Peace
OC

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Amazing man, my wife put her tipi up in our front yard and 2 1/2 years later the bottom was rotting. When we took it down we had to throw the shell away. I think you said that you've got yours up on a deck, which was a good idea. You've got the right idea, I'd be eating anything that came within shooting distance. Fishing is also a good idea to put food on the table. Your place looks very beautiful, those rock outcroppings would be a nice place to burn 1. Take care and I hope all is well, we get a Mother Earth News delivered to the house

mal

K

kolah

Amazing man, my wife put her tipi up in our front yard and 2 1/2 years later the bottom was rotting. When we took it down we had to throw the shell away. I think you said that you've got yours up on a deck, which was a good idea. You've got the right idea, I'd be eating anything that came within shooting distance. Fishing is also a good idea to put food on the table. Your place looks very beautiful, those rock outcroppings would be a nice place to burn 1. Take care and I hope all is well, we get a Mother Earth News delivered to the house

mal

If you put up a tipi on the ground you need to keep the bottom of the canvas a bit above the ground to eliminate mold and rotting issues. Even with mine anchored to the deck it dies not touch it. The average canvas material for tipi's will last about 6-7 years and much less if exposed to extreme sunlight (like we have here in CO). My canvas is going on its 6th year and holding up well. I am not sure what I will do once it starts going to shit. I may just take the canvas and poles down and frame it like a small house. I could use the poles cover it in 11ml plastic and make a "tipi greenhouse." Nothing goes to waste around here. :)

My BubbaShine plants are doing well and I am still waiting for that last one to show it's sex. They really suck up my liquid fertilizers, too.

Thanks whatupdoc and Oceanside.

K

kolah

The Bubba-Shine ladies are shifting gears and starting to flower up. The entire greenhouse is kicking ass. Pics to come. I am in desperate search of a small wood stove as nights are hitting the mid 40's already. I may even make a homemade stove. If need be, I do have a small propane heater but that thing spikes my RH way the fuck up.

MitchyNugz

MitchyNugz

Wow bro so cool how you live was blown away reading this thread......sounds like one hell of a adventure your lifestyle really dig it!

awesome thread keep the pics coming im tuned in!

K

kolah

Dcp 3859
Allright, things are looking good and the ladies are starting to get horny. Step into the greenhouse folks and look around. To the far left is a DJ Short Vanilluna (ala Vanilla Moon) and to its right is a huge Super Skunk with another DJ VM behind here. That SS will easily produce 10-14 ounces...maybe more. BTW the sidewalls of my greenhouse are 6 foot high so that gives you a better idea how tall these gals are...and they are still reaching and strectching for the fricken roof! VM and the Afghanis are in the lead.

Top Bottom