Sun System® LEC™ 315 Light Emitting Ceramic Fixture

• Thread starter DAT
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
pug1010

pug1010

Hi Ivy

Just wondering what type of reflectors are being used in the welthink horizontal fixture and what height they are from the plants in the photo. Are they aluminium or steel? What height is recommended? They seem very small compared to other cmh315w systems. Also, what heat does the welthink horizontal fixture generate and lastly … does the heat generated and power used change when running at 120v or 240v?

Otherwise they look like a nice system that wouldn't take up a lot of vertical height.

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

View attachment 592347

horizontal lamp placement was designed for greenhouse, Hortilux, Gavita greenhouse style got a professional horizontal design for a best light efficience, coverage is fairly even,no hot spots or uneven growth, mostly with best 96% efficience materials, lost a little light. Horizontal get a bigger distribute angle, cover more area, it is good for big room, not suitable in grow tent small space.

vertical has a smaller angle to distribute, focus on small space, better to be used in grow tent, but mostly used a poor quality materials for hood, easy to lose 10~30% light while reflecting, no way to know difference of materials by eyes, choose a good vertical hood.

A hand held test luman is bullshit, lumen is for human eyes, little helpful for plant growing, test PAR.

a picture of welthink horizontal fixture in greenhouse showed in a magazine, seems some years ago.
What makes them any better for greenhouses when mounted horizontally? And why use mogul adapters? Because they're not purpose made for CMH? I mean come on the lamp isn't even centered.

These horizontal commercial-style reflectors simply aren't designed for the 315 lamp at all, they are for long HPS rods, not single point CMH envelopes. The wide spread you are claiming ends up only being a narrow band of light, weak where they throw it wide, and with one side underlit due to positioning of the lamp terminal (even worse with unpainted lamps blasting much of the light through the tip, making coverage very uneven).

I

IVY

What makes them any better for greenhouses when mounted horizontally? And why use mogul adapters? Because they're not purpose made for CMH? I mean come on the lamp isn't even centered..

Mounted horizontally was not better for greenhouse, because ballast will block sunlight in day time, I just wanted to explain horizontal reflector mostly used best materials and professional design to distribute light to lose a little light and get a best efficiency.

Except Philips CMH bulbs, there are some 315Watt CMH bulbs made in China with mogul adapters integrated, labeled and sold in market, if a light fixture make with a mogul adapter, they will not be able to match with those bulbs.

BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond

Ive been watching threads and posts everywhere about LEC lighting. I see very little about the 630's. I have googled the shit outta it. after a few years and some decent yields. I think I have a little grasp on the situation. Here is what I know. My 630's preform with flawless excellence. Economic to run, heat output is low in comparison to HPS. I have never used LEC's and am running both kalvin bulbs in each unit. So mixed bulbs. So far so good. Here is my Blue Dream in day 17 in flower. I really want to see or hear about other people's results, issues, yields..,.

pug1010

pug1010

What makes them any better for greenhouses when mounted horizontally? And why use mogul adapters?

I didn't notice the mogul adapters … will that make a difference? I am still researching these lights and every time I think I am getting a handle on them and getting closer to a decision … lol … something new turns up.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I didn't notice the mogul adapters … will that make a difference? I am still researching these lights and every time I think I am getting a handle on them and getting closer to a decision … lol … something new turns up.

Haven't noticed a difference at all- if you want to use the bulb in a non-mogul fixture they make some pretty beefy ceramic Edison adapters for the bulbs. As far as why they used mogul adapters, I believe this light was manufactured originally as a commercial street lamp. Now that Philips has found a market for grow lamps using the same bulb they are manufacturing a consumer model that's E39 Edison instead of mogul. I honestly like the mogul better, bulbs are way easier to remove for post-harvest wipe down.

Reactions: IVY
Herb Forester

Herb Forester

It might not be the worst thing, but not the best for lamp performance and a weak link according to my electrician. I currently use Mitronix adapters for the Gavita Hortistar, but this DIY setup is inferior to a properly made vertical reflector. If buying new fixtures today, personally I would look hardest at Hydrofarm/Phantom and Nanolux, until something better gets released. At least both these brands offer network control, and the latter has a replaceable reflector.

Haven't noticed a difference at all- if you want to use the bulb in a non-mogul fixture they make some pretty beefy ceramic Edison adapters for the bulbs. As far as why they used mogul adapters, I believe this light was manufactured originally as a commercial street lamp. Now that Philips has found a market for grow lamps using the same bulb they are manufacturing a consumer model that's E39 Edison instead of mogul. I honestly like the mogul better, bulbs are way easier to remove for post-harvest wipe down.
The only mogul 315 lamps I've seen are not open rated (no safety protection envelope). That's a deal breaker for me, and anyone getting inspected. Does Philips even make them in the Agro version? From what I can see the price is around the same as the PGZX version. I don't see at all how the mogul could be easier to install, as the 2-pin connector locks right in with barely a twist and positions the wireframe perfectly with no shadow. The whole point of the advanced connector is strength and safety above mogul designs.

Also Fyi I was warned by Dennis Yang about the current off-brand 315 lamps coming from China, he says they are relatively low quality and use inferior parts compared to Philips, and that it will be quite some time before they are able to produce anything close in performance. He didn't break confidentiality, but from our earlier conversations I suspect he's referring to the manufacturers for Nanolux, Genisis, and Solistek (and other generic products).

pug1010

pug1010

Thanks WeSolidarity and Herb … much appreciated. It's really helpful to get information from people using these systems and different versions. I will be buying a cmh315 … just not 100% sure which one yet.

The phantom does suit my budget.:)

Quantrill

Quantrill

The only mogul 315 lamps I've seen are not open rated (no safety protection envelope). That's a deal breaker for me, and anyone getting inspected. Does Philips even make them in the Agro version

The mogul version of the Philips 315 cdm lamp is open rated(protected). But is only available in the 4200 Kelvin color. And you lose some photons with it only rated at 1.82 umol/s per watt compared to 1.9 for the pgz versions.

I agree with you Herb, the pgz is a better design in many aspects and vertical orientation of the lamp in a reflector designed around the lamp is preferred. Obviously if you have to use an adapter, the reflector was not designed around the lamp.

I

IVY

The mogul version of the Philips 315 cdm lamp is open rated(protected). But is only available in the 4200 Kelvin color. And you lose some photons with it only rated at 1.82 umol/s per watt compared to 1.9 for the pgz versions.

I agree with you Herb, the pgz is a better design in many aspects and vertical orientation of the lamp in a reflector designed around the lamp is preferred. Obviously if you have to use an adapter, the reflector was not designed around the lamp.

If a light fixture designed with an adapter, it will be not compatiable to 315w lamps already get an adapter, include Philips ED 37 lamp.
ED 37

BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond

The ends of the Phillips 315 LEC are not screw in. They are quarter turn twist in and have two flat end posts.

BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond

I just got several bulbs of both kalvin output. They are not discontinued.

pug1010

pug1010

Hi WeSolidarity … just wondering which cmh light version has been discontinued. Thanks

Top Bottom