Surviving the 2022 super flooded market.

• Thread starter Masonsdad15
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Masonsdad15

Masonsdad15

I’m at the point where profits gone so I’ve just started teaching anyone who wants to learn I don’t care if I’ve shot my self in the foot at least some car dealer who just got in the game to make a mil isn’t going to be taking advantage of them. F it all
Could also join a large scale professional project like I am. The pay isn't the same but there is nice bonus and incentive pay structures. This is where our skills are really put to the test and if you're worth it there is plenty of money being made to earn a nice sizable chunk for yourself. On these large projects the difference between a 15% gain in yeild or loss in yeild can be as much as 50k to 100k. Also good marketing of yourself goes just a far as is does with products. People with a following can demand much more than incentive pay especially if they are in high demand. So maybe start a YouTube podcast cast, start rapping and come out with a album or two, go hang out with Wiz Khalifa and party hard in your town and post it all on IG. You can do it man. Lol.

Masonsdad15

Masonsdad15

Yea focus on what isn't suitable for large commercial growers.

Think long-term hazes and sativas that are killer smoke, but don't get pumped out because they take so long.

Going organic is another niche to occupy, but people don't usually bite on that unless it's certified.
There young I like that "focus on what isn't suitable for large grows...". Now that's what I am talking about. Smaller craft grows with unique or possibly one of a kind cultivars, maybe even start breeding. Then with the right distro and possible nitch market there is a long term future in this industry for us medium to little guys.

Masonsdad15

Masonsdad15

There young I like that "focus on what isn't suitable for large grows...". Now that's what I am talking about. Smaller craft grows with unique or possibly one of a kind cultivars, maybe even start breeding. Then with the right distro and possible nitch market there is a long term future in this industry for us medium to little guys.
There you go not **there young

shaganja

shaganja

I see no till farmers doing well on the other side. Its waay cheaper. No buying nutrients, or soil, or hydro systems. They harvest inputs from mother nature. And the product is better. Deeper buzz. Longer. Better flavor. Effects that you cant find in dispo weed. Unless the dispos start selling it. Which is already happening in michigan. There is a place in the northern area, called firehouse, that is selling a brand called aunt sparkies, organic. Sustainably grown in living soil. I tried this brand, and is hands down better than everything else in the store. You can tell at first hit. Now, if i ever wanna treat myself, this is where im going. I really dont like dispo weed. Its so boring, and kinda anxiety driven beczuse of the myth that the highest thc is the best. Now we know, its about the ensamble, or entourage effect. Even the big dogs like berner are going into the hills to find that craft smoke. And he is taking thier product to the market, because he has the funds. Seems to be the problem with craft growers. No funds for licenseing, to get in the market. So they just sell underground, if they dont have a plug like that. But it still moves, because fire always sells. The organic will be top shelf, and the corporate guys, will have to fight it out, for second place. And many will fail. They already are. But the craft farmer that loves this girl truly, will have the top shelf smoke.

Mycorr

Mycorr

I would like to see a "both and" approach where the powers that be provide a way for a small grower to make a living in addition to serving big business concerns as it is now. It drives me crazy that I can't have a booth at my local farmers market to sell. I know I'm dreaming...

Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

You have to be specialty for sure when competing with the big corporates. The people who distilled white lightning started into buisness because the government put a $1.75 a gallon tax on booze. That was real money during the depression. Why drink it if you can afford aged in the barrel whiskey with real flavors from the wood? Can you sell your product significantly cheaper and still be better? I bought a head of cabbage in the produce section for 80 cents a pound. I bet the farmer is being paid 5 cents a pound. All the others up the chain take their cut. Maybe it's a federal law, maybe State I don't know but if your doctor prescribes something on the 'watch' list such as Tramadol which is a weak pain reliever they give you drug tests. Without informing you by the way, it's thrown in with your other routine blood and urine tests. I seen a result of MMDA (ecstasy/ molly). Funny I thought I didn't buy any or take any. I smoked with a friend some weed he had shipped in. I don't know what he was planning or even if he was aware what was in it. I figure he got a great deal on it. I didn't ask. If it were an employment or judicial test, I would have had trouble. Thats what people do I suppose, with pounds of underachieving product.
I think a lot of people are changing into growing mushrooms now? Your power bill would be so small in comparison, you don't need much lights, and instead of trying to keep the humidity down so the buds don't mold your adding water to the air. Your grow tents would work great, you do need a flow hood and a pressure cooker, those are the specialty tools you need. Lots of 'official' free publicity out there with legal psychedelic treatments. The market could be ripe for 'self treatments'.
But I have always been better spending money than making money, so I don't know the market. Some one should do some research and let us know if there are greener pastures under those cow paddies.

growsince79

growsince79

This year has been one of the hardest years to stay lucrative. With more states becoming legal and ambitious new industrial growers now producing large amounts of light dep product, that's flooding the market, making even the lowest of distributors become total product snobs, how can we stay alive? The answer is, small craft grows with unique cultivars ahead of the trend, flawless product, and low overhead. We are In the second great dying off of certain parts of the market. Those that survive 2022 will have a open market for a short time before the next great dying off occurs. It's time to get serious, get smart and get fully legal. Finish your paperwork and pay your fees cause the old way is not going to be around for much longer. Thanks to all the yahoo's for example in oaklahoma producing tens of thousands of pounds of mostly just passable light dep product, but regardless of its quality it's tanking prices across the country. Is it just me or does everyone and thier mother have a friend that needs help. People getting desperate and lowering prices of thier product just to barely stay afloat. Well all those large projects with high overhead I predict will not be here in the coming months. As thier products pile up and start to deteriorate and thier bills keep coming and they keep going further and further into debt, just lowering the price isn't going to save them in the end. There is hope though for the small craft projects, producing quality products that eventually people will be very tired of all this light dep boo boo and will want to return to the premium products. How are yall surviving and what have you witnessed or experienced this last year going into 2022?
What do you mean by light dep product? You mean photo period? Because I still haven't seen autos I would consider better.

Garbage_bear

Garbage_bear

Light deprived= greenhouse growers that use light deprivation to get two harvests a year flooding the market

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I think we've seen the same here in Canada. The only ones surviving are the big farms, everyone else is struggling and because of the sheer quantity that the big farms are producing, its hard to sell all of your product. "Micro" grows as defined by Health Canada (200m2 canopy) are still million dollar or more startups and with the limited canopy, they just dont make sense. Small craft growers just dont really exist or they are struggling here, as are some of the big boys. My solution? Put them all out of business by growing my own. Which isnt really a solution for commercial growers, it amplifies the problem and Im ok with that. Canada created a legal market where only the big boys can survive and small operations cant even get started commercially without some serious capital. So, fuck em. Ill grow my own and never buy commercial weed again :)

That's kind of how I feel up here as well. Sure $100 an oz is nice, but what am I paying for? A russian roulette where I get garbage bud 95% of the time. Grown with chemicals and pesticides because all they care about is turnover and yield.

Also a HUGE problem with the industry = concentrates seem to be the horse pulling the cart. None of the big corps care about flower or the quality of flower because at the end of the day they care more and sell more of their concentrates. Blame this on new people too scared to "smoke something" but will happily fill their lungs with a synthetic cart

Choppr

Choppr

I am a small scale Craft Grower and Niche is the way -"fuck the factory" is my motto - I have a discerning group of folks who love Cannabis and they can be quite snobby - when presented with several different cultivars 7 outta 10 will pick the prettiest or most interesting nose, like wine testers, always arguing terpenes and which terps are present to their superior olfactory - The THC % has very little to do with it, I think this differs from Dispensary buyers "whats the highest THC you got crowd" - I will continue to Craft Grow for a niche market that truly is lacking. I have of late(2019) been testing Day Neutral Cannabis and have secretly jarred up some of "fast buds purple lemonade" always have enlarged color photos so they can see "proof of life" if you will, and even the snobbiest of them raved about what I conveniently renamed "Lemon Purp" - (this is maybe 22% thc)-(lol) - and still, word on the town sends the most discering my way. Learn your Craft, and know that Presentation is 90% of the Game. (pics used in the campaign)

IMG 2731
IMG 2744
IMG 2821
OLDSILVERTIP

OLDSILVERTIP

it will never, or maybe right after that, be legal here. i dont sell, i just keep up with my habit, but im willing to increase my habit to keep up with my grow!
i know the feeling ,same here @lvstealth

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I think we've seen the same here in Canada. The only ones surviving are the big farms, everyone else is struggling and because of the sheer quantity that the big farms are producing, its hard to sell all of your product. "Micro" grows as defined by Health Canada (200m2 canopy) are still million dollar or more startups and with the limited canopy, they just dont make sense. Small craft growers just dont really exist or they are struggling here, as are some of the big boys. My solution? Put them all out of business by growing my own. Which isnt really a solution for commercial growers, it amplifies the problem and Im ok with that. Canada created a legal market where only the big boys can survive and small operations cant even get started commercially without some serious capital. So, fuck em. Ill grow my own and never buy commercial weed again :)
Trudeau's plan all along was to cut out the cottage industry,along with his pseudo legalization, he doubled the penalties so the weed is in the hands of the big businesses and made the entry fee high,along with restrictions to keep out the commoners. He's doing it with everything ,his attack on small business during flu wiped out a good % of the middle class.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

I am a small scale Craft Grower and Niche is the way -"fuck the factory" is my motto - I have a discerning group of folks who love Cannabis and they can be quite snobby - when presented with several different cultivars 7 outta 10 will pick the prettiest or most interesting nose, like wine testers, always arguing terpenes and which terps are present to their superior olfactory - The THC % has very little to do with it, I think this differs from Dispensary buyers "whats the highest THC you got crowd" - I will continue to Craft Grow for a niche market that truly is lacking. I have of late(2019) been testing Day Neutral Cannabis and have secretly jarred up some of "fast buds purple lemonade" always have enlarged color photos so they can see "proof of life" if you will, and even the snobbiest of them raved about what I conveniently renamed "Lemon Purp" - (this is maybe 22% thc)-(lol) - and still, word on the town sends the most discering my way. Learn your Craft, and know that Presentation is 90% of the Game. (pics used in the campaign
Good thing they don’t know what all them 3 finger leaves mean. Lol

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Trudeau's plan all along was to cut out the cottage industry,along with his pseudo legalization, he doubled the penalties so the weed is in the hands of the big businesses and made the entry fee high,along with restrictions to keep out the commoners. He's doing it with everything ,his attack on small business during flu wiped out a good % of the middle class.
Same with most legal states here. A limited license in Alaska allows you to grow 500 square feet of canopy. By the time a guy complies with all the required crap like 24/7 live video feed showing literally every square inch of the place and along with the dumpster and yadda you’re talking easily $50K and that doesn’t include the building. Of course no landlord wants to rent because of federal law and the fact most mortgages can be called if any “illegal activities” take place on the property. It’s a frigging rich man’s game like everything else in the world.

grnmtn

grnmtn

Same with most legal states here. A limited license in Alaska allows you to grow 500 square feet of canopy. By the time a guy complies with all the required crap like 24/7 live video feed showing literally every square inch of the place and along with the dumpster and yadda you’re talking easily $50K and that doesn’t include the building. Of course no landlord wants to rent because of federal law and the fact most mortgages can be called if any “illegal activities” take place on the property. It’s a frigging rich man’s game like everything else in the world.
VT has all the same BS and for the smallest grow a $200 monthly fee taken directly out of a named cannabis business bank account! Not to mention you must meet their energy standards. They want big cannabis to take over, they just don't want to admit that is their intention.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

VT has all the same BS and for the smallest grow a $200 monthly fee taken directly out of a named cannabis business bank account! Not to mention you must meet their energy standards. They want big cannabis to take over, they just don't want to admit that is their intention.
Growers tax here $50 an ounce for flower and $15 an ounce for trim. Don’t be dumping good anything including trim in the dumpster because that might be diversion. The camera you pay for that’s focused on the dumpster will reveal you! Odor? In Anchorage they have codes inspectors go around the property. If they can smell it outside your legal boundary you’re cited.

This tax must be paid in cash in person before the grower can sell to a retail outlet.

grnmtn

grnmtn

In VT, cameras must be used in every step from seed to cure. Outside grow camera for last 30 days on. From a business point of view, it would be insane to think a small legal grower could even make a dime in VT!

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

In VT, cameras must be used in every step from seed to cure. Outside grow camera for last 30 days on. From a business point of view, it would be insane to think a small legal grower could even make a dime in VT!
Same here. Two licenses. Limited and unlimited. Limited is just that - limited to the lousy 500 squares of canopy. The unlimited? 20,000 acres if you want and can provide everything the law requires. It’s like racing. Yeah I can put together something for the dirt track like junkyard dog or sportsman. But let someone with deep pockets come along and they’re going to blow me into the weeds as they go past. Week after week until you’re doing it solely for the fun. You’re not going to jackpot unless you get really lucky and luck doesn’t last long.

Typical corporate America.

Top Bottom