Taking Cannabis To The Extreme Lets See What She's Got!!!

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
So have been working on my raised bed for some time actually 2 years now to get the herd and humus and all of the other goodies ready for an outdoor run. Strains that I am playing with for this experiment are

"Cornbread Bubba" by @Nspecta of CSI
" Jack Herer" From a dear friend absolute fire pheno
" Sour Larry Pebbles" courtesy of my family in WA state
" RBS which is some mystery bag seed my son sent me from PA

the reason I call this an experiment is, well cause it is. I have been hamstringed into thinking you could not grow good cannabis in a arid desert enviro and have always had to do outdoor grows in AZ up in the north country where the temps and enviro are more suitable for the parameters we are told we need to maintain to have superior cannabis. I am attempting to dispell all the myths that to have excellent herb it has to be done indoors and pampered.

If all goes well I will be able to start growing outdoors without the long treks up north and do so locally here in the brutal AZ desert. So far all looks like it just may work.

The beans were planted on Aug 3 they crowned the soil on 8/5 2 days all 10 beanz popped planted directly in soil outside. The temps the day they broke ground were a 98 d F humidity that day was around 20%

The following day which would be day 2 of breaking soil on 8/6 temps hit a blistering 106 however the monsoon had moved in and Rh was double at 45% . So far so good.

Day 3 the 7th temps 109
Day 4 the 8th temps 110
Today the 9th day 5 temps 97

Projected temps for the balance of August will run from highs 90's to 105, 106 110

For anyone that has ever lived here you know that the plants will be in for a hell of a ride as temps dont drop below triple digits until mid Oct.

Right now they are in solo cups as evidenced by the pics I will post at the end of the thread. The only precaution I have taken during the initial germination and sprouting is I put all the solo cups in tubs and have kept about a 1/2 " of ph adjusted water so the starts can draw water from the bottom keeping the soil wet/moist up thru the top of the soil column. I will plant them in their home in another couple of days and will use some supplemental lighting to keep them in veg for approx 6 weeks at which time I will stop the supp lights and allow the plants to begin flowering as the day length will be just about right at this time. The length of day currently is 13 hrs 33 min by the time another 6 weeks gets by us the photo-period will initiate flowering.

Some may ask why are you doing this and the answer is simple. Cost savings due to the extreme cooling bills I have in summer and I have been shutting down my grows during the summers here due to that fact. Also I think we have all been told so many times that we need to keep perfect temps, RH and all sorts of other parameters to grow quality cannabis and I am not convinced this is always true. So I am taking our beloved plant to the extreme to see the results. I hope some of you will join my on my journey as this could be a game changer for me and possibly others as well.

Here are the pics. The tub with 4 in it are the Cornbread and the tub with 6 are the 2 bagseed from my boy the 2 JH and the 2 Sour Larry Pebbles from WA. From what I am seeing this very well could be a success. But I have a lot more extreme temps and pests that may very well be my undoing. Proof of the pudding will be come harvest I guess. Thanks for checking this Cannabis Ironwoman event!!!

@rmoltis wanted to follow along so heres a shout out as he was the bagseed donor and wanted me to post up in his bagseed thread and thought I would do a separate thread and not clutter up his. All you gotta do @rmoltis is set your user panel to watch this thread and you will get an alert when I do updates.

Plants look pretty healthy considering what they are enduring. please send me good grow karma and positive energy thruout this endeavor. Will keep a journal as it goes.

Taking cannabis to the extreme lets see what shes got
Taking cannabis to the extreme lets see what shes got 2
Taking cannabis to the extreme lets see what shes got 3
Taking cannabis to the extreme lets see what shes got 4
Taking cannabis to the extreme lets see what shes got 5

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I'm ready:cool:.

Let's see if those bagseed give you something nice.

I would like if you at least post some final pics of the bagseed in the bagseed hunting thread right before harvest. I don't mind your log is over here.

I just wanna keep track of all the phenotypes local/relative to my area.

On a side note with all the high temps are you worried about the lower temp terpenes boiling off during flower?

Also that uv light exposure down coupled with low humidity there you should have some frosty ladies :)

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter

I would like if you at least post some final pics of the bagseed in the bagseed hunting thread right before harvest. I don't mind your log is over here.

On a side note with all the high temps are you worried about the lower temp terpenes boiling off during flower?

Also that uv light exposure down coupled with low humidity there you should have some frosty ladies :)
you got it. Thanks again for honoring me with your genetics. I will try to do them justice.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Comin' along for the ride! The more I'm learning about high desert gardening, the more I'm learning it's less about the heat and more about the wind. Also, the permie folks say shade the plants.
You betcha @Seamaiden I built a 1" shade struture out of PVC and solar screen type material from the garden shop. So the light will still be intense but subdued to some extent. I think it's going to work.
Look at it this way, if they were gonna keel over and wilt, I think that would have happened by now. Day 6 and looking healthy, so as long as I do my part I don't see any reason I cant pull off some respectable budz. Cause it sure is a hassle heading to the Moggollon Rim or the White Mtns to pull off a good outdoor. I aint no spring chicken anymore.

Thanks for poppin in, its always good to see you. :D

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

Looking Forward to see this i think plants can adapt rather quickly to there environment , it may not be a perfect grow but non of the less it should do well i have seen many grows where how everyone tends to think mj plants need total sunlight ???
I have done grows where plants only seen 10 hrs of direct sunlight rest reflected and shaded sunlight plants did amazing .
Only thing i can see here is plant transpiring more so less nutrients is needed which is great for cost out of your pocket and way more waterings then usual
Good luck

nazarbattu

nazarbattu

Front center with popcorn, sunflower seeds, vape pen (decarboxilated indica aged oil), Stella artois, and some green still wet sativa that somehow gets me blasted but not for long but still higher than usual, I know I'm forgetting something oh ya this blunt hand crafted, veganly grown nug and rolled in cannabis leaf too PASS around, lol, revenge of the nerds shit.....if anyone has some shroons I would be so blessed to join that trip as well but ya, Mr @jumpincactus may I suggest an epigenetical factor that may be worthy of this experiment???

nazarbattu

nazarbattu

So, after reading much of the post over the years mainly from you on soil ecology I want to bring up a captain obvious factor I don't think many have articulated...we, correct me please for any reason, believe mycroherds are host specific meaning they will not grow unless their plant of choice has living roots sharing their environment....so, a no till built soil coupled with organizing host/cutting/closely related seed/plants back into said soil...ya know like keeping track of clones and labeling them and labeling plots/raised beds etc...maybe a little extra help by always having a premature clone growing to ensure living roots to keep host specific herd happy and maybe even brewing up some tea washed off roots of any plant harvested or pulled too reinnacculate or however it's spelled back into the epigenetic soil per se I think they say that right "per sae" jajaja true story yup true story.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Can't wait to follow along this journal and it's amazing to see plants adapt to harsher conditions.:) Thanks for sharing your journey. :D

Happy Growing Friend and along for the ride if you don't mind. :)

Moto
Wouldn't have it any other way @Moto :) What will be interesting is we all know a plant can change genetically to adapt. But that typically takes seasons and time for the change to occur. All I can do at this point is due diligence and help em along to see if they make it to the finish line.:D

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Looking Forward to see this i think plants can adapt rather quickly to there environment , it may not be a perfect grow but non of the less it should do well i have seen many grows where how everyone tends to think mj plants need total sunlight ???
I have done grows where plants only seen 10 hrs of direct sunlight rest reflected and shaded sunlight plants did amazing .
Only thing i can see here is plant transpiring more so less nutrients is needed which is great for cost out of your pocket and way more waterings then usual
Good luck
Thanks man for chimin in. Yea the biggest part I agree will be keeping them hydrated enough until fall starts. Fall doesnt really start here temp wise until late Nov early Dec. Cactus will be jumpin to keep it all together.:) Hence why they call me jumpincactus. Always bite off more than I can chew. :cool: Boss has me pulling 60-65 hr weeks right now. Working 7 days a week plus chores at night. Feel like a zombie.......... Peace

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter

Actually not concerned as the temps invloved and boiling points of the typical terpenes and flavinoids are well below what the az sun will lay on them. Make sense?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Well folks it's time for an update. Today is day 20 since all strains broke the soil crown. They have been subjected to some of the worse conditions that you can imagine. Temps from day one have ranged from 100-109 deg F.

I make my 1st observation and will admit that they have really lagged in veg coping with the arid dry air here. I thought they lagged from being rootbound, but that wasnt the case as evidenced when I up potted today They are lagging due to extreme temps

However other than lagging they look healthy and I do believe they will make it. I just up potted today from solo cups to larger shoes and will veg with sunlight & supplemental lighting until about a foot high at which point they will go into the planter and after allowing for shock and let them spread their wings a bit will remove supp lighting and allow them to flower for sexing.

The pics are a group shot of each strain and then 1 shot each of each individual. In addition I am limited in image count per post so I will daisy chain the rest in additional posts hereafter.

First up

Sour Larry Pebbles

DSCN1468
DSCN1466
DSCN1467

Next up My Sons random bag seed from pa

DSCN1469

DSCN1470

DSCN1471

Next Jack Herer

DSCN1472

DSCN1473