TC2's Main Thread / Garden Updates

• Thread starter tomatoesarecooltoo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I would (possibly) wash it down every now and again, maybe in the early mornings or some other time (I'm thinking minimum exposure to the moisture, as it gets drier as the day wears on, maybe every day or two (or when it needs it). Either way, your at risk of accumulating (lots) of ash on the plant, or perhaps mold from the moisture (from cleaning it), it's certainly a daunting dilemma. Maybe a blower or afterwards to clean it off, dry it down as much as possible. Either way, I fear nothing is optimal. (sticky and ash don't mix well).

Maybe even try experimenting on some of the other plants in the area, and develop a game plan.

Maybe try one small branch and see if it (helps), perhaps. (Just trying to offer up possible suggestions).

Last edited:
tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

I would (possibly) wash it down every now and again, maybe in the early mornings or some other time (I'm thinking minimum exposure to the moisture, as it gets drier as the day wears on, maybe every day or two (or when it needs it). Either way, your at risk of accumulating (lots) of ash on the plant, or perhaps mold from the moisture (from cleaning it), it's certainly a daunting dilemma. Maybe a blower or afterwards to clean it off, dry it down as much as possible. Either way, I fear nothing is optimal. (sticky and ash don't mix well).

Maybe even try experimenting on some of the other plants in the area, and develop a game plan.

Maybe try one small branch and see if it (helps), perhaps. (Just trying to offer up possible suggestions).

The risk of washing it off is that it turns to lye when it gets wet and burns the plant.

The shake and blow worked pretty well the first time, just waiting for it to stop falling to do it again.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Had the first caterpillar attack of the season. Only in one bud, but their were 3 caterpillars in their. Was able to blow enough ash off with that leaf blower to feel safe spraying some BT after I cut off that bud.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Been topdressing dr earth flower girl amendment when I water teas. Today I did the last top dress of the season. The next two weeks I will still do teas, but without the Neptune's harvest, just the ffj and the frass. After that just water.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

While I did not do a side by side with and without the ffj, my impression of it is so far a big thumbs up. It provides a sugar source, a nutrient source, a microbe source, and an enzyme source for my teas. It has allowed me to stretch my Neptunes harvest and insect frass much further. The combination of the insect frass and the ffj has allowed me to squeak through flower without worm castings, which are still my all time favorite ingredient. I tried both still and aerated teas with the ffj and I see better results from aerated.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

I have an idea about aerated teas... that a significant and overlooked reason why aerated teas are so beneficial is dissolved atmospheric nitrogen causing an explosion in the activity and population size of nitrogen fixing bacteria.

Part of this idea is the observation of rapid growth after rains, compared to regular watering. Rain collects dissolved gases as it falls, including nitrogen. Since most native soil is relatively hard and nonporous, it doesn't seem like there would be much direct gas exchange from the air into the soil, so nitrogen fixers would rely on rain to transport atmospheric nitrogen into the ground.

Any thoughts?

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I have an idea about aerated teas... that a significant and overlooked reason why aerated teas are so beneficial is dissolved atmospheric nitrogen causing an explosion in the activity and population size of nitrogen fixing bacteria.

Part of this idea is the observation of rapid growth after rains, compared to regular watering. Rain collects dissolved gases as it falls, including nitrogen. Since most native soil is relatively hard and nonporous, it doesn't seem like there would be much direct gas exchange from the air into the soil, so nitrogen fixers would rely on rain to transport atmospheric nitrogen into the ground.

Any thoughts?
Based on limited research and some thinking, I believe your theory holds significant merit. Makes me wonder about employing a nitro setup ala for coffee or whatever to charge teas. We have one for coffee....I suppose I could try it, the cartridges are only a few bucks each......

Gosh now stoned Milson has something to chew on lol

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Based on limited research and some thinking, I believe your theory holds significant merit. Makes me wonder about employing a nitro setup ala for coffee or whatever to charge teas. We have one for coffee....I suppose I could try it, the cartridges are only a few bucks each......

Gosh now stoned Milson has something to chew on lol

That would be a good way to test the effects of the atmospheric nitrogen in isolation without the oxygen and co2 and stuff.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Just lost a second branch to the caterpillars. Any salvageable flower from that branch went into my coffee this morning. Saw the birds checking that branch afterwards, too little too late birdies, but I appreciate the effort.

Top Bottom