TC2's Main Thread / Garden Updates

• Thread starter tomatoesarecooltoo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Just lost a second branch to the caterpillars. Any salvageable flower from that branch went into my coffee this morning. Saw the birds checking that branch afterwards, too little too late birdies, but I appreciate the effort.

Not a big deal, just happy I topped it into so many smaller kolas. Minimal loss when each time this happens.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Update on the indoor room, some improvements based on the first test.

Update on the outdoor, showing which branches were lost

The white specs are from the ash, its not mildew

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I have an idea about aerated teas... that a significant and overlooked reason why aerated teas are so beneficial is dissolved atmospheric nitrogen causing an explosion in the activity and population size of nitrogen fixing bacteria.

Part of this idea is the observation of rapid growth after rains, compared to regular watering. Rain collects dissolved gases as it falls, including nitrogen. Since most native soil is relatively hard and nonporous, it doesn't seem like there would be much direct gas exchange from the air into the soil, so nitrogen fixers would rely on rain to transport atmospheric nitrogen into the ground.

Any thoughts?

Yea, I think this is actually happening to some degree even before the "drops" themselves are actually formed even, while it's a vapor in the clouds.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

I was worried with the smoke nobody would be out to see the tomato starts I left out. But, out of a dozen or so starts only 1 was not taken. Just threw it in the native soil plot.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

I don't even care much about weeds in the garden, but I HATE FIELD BIND WEED. This stuff climbs your plants with barbs, pulls them to the ground and strangles them, you can't get rid of it with weeding, tillage or mulching over it, because it has tubers in the ground UP TO 20 feet, AND it catches and spreads powdery mildew! I haven't been weeding much the last week because of the fires and in that time a huge patch formed, and it was covered in powdery mildew. The air quality was finally good enough today to get out their and rip it out (temporarily until it comes back). After kicking up all those spores ripping it out, I sprayed with a garlic oil based mildew preventative, which I wanted to be done doing by now, but I felt that I had to 😡

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Thanks man, I am pretty excited. I want to upgrade the lights after few runs.

Currently leaning towards this

but the compact metal halides also are catching my eye

Hey @Aqua Man any thoughts on the long skinny hlg 320 vs 3 of the hlg 100s or even just replacing the two leds with hlg and keeping the hps 150 in the center?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@tomatoesarecooltoo I dont think HLG makes a v3. I could be wrong but I don't see it.

Madmax

Madmax

I would try a mulch t0 prevent that bind weed and see what happens.

Did you pinch that air clearner off your car 😃

I get small grubs here every now and then from the white moth in summer time they bore into the top buds and stem..they are bout 20mm long..real hard to pick up apart from seeing them and seeing a little bit of dead bud..never seen em take a branch out.obviously you got bigger ones lol..

Your plants look great bro

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Versus three.

Edit: or do you mean the 320 part.
I dont think HLG make a version 3. From all I can find its the Chinese knock offs.

@tomatoesarecooltoo if you can link the specific lights I can give you a better opinion

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

I dont think HLG make a version 3. From all I can find its the Chinese knock offs.

@tomatoesarecooltoo if you can link the specific lights I can give you a better opinion

I never said version 3. 3 is referring to the number of lights I would need.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

I would try a mulch t0 prevent that bind weed and see what happens.

Did you pinch that air clearner off your car 😃

I get small grubs here every now and then from the white moth in summer time they bore into the top buds and stem..they are bout 20mm long..real hard to pick up apart from seeing them and seeing a little bit of dead bud..never seen em take a branch out.obviously you got bigger ones lol..

Your plants look great bro

The filter is off amazon.

They are the small cabbage moth caterpillars, maybe I am being over zealous with how much of the branch I am removing.

I have had success mulching over basically all other weeds. The tuberous ones like bind weed and thistle can take years to smother.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

No problem
5ft x 2.5ft
If they cost the same 320 fits that foot print well and will run at 340w max power off 1 driver.

The 100's will cover that also but all 3 would top out at 285w and run 3 drivers.

Ideal would be about 375w spread evenly which they both will do.

I think the 320 wins hands down here and puts you pretty close to ideal.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

If they cost the same 320 fits that foot print well and will run at 340w max power off 1 driver.

The 100's will cover that also but all 3 would top out at 285w and run 3 drivers.

Ideal would be about 375w spread evenly which they both will do.

I think the 320 wins hands down here and puts you pretty close to ideal.

Ok thanks a lot!

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Not sure it's at all obvious. In fact, I would lean heavily to the three light option if you plan to fill the room.

Here is the ppfd map for the light.
Screenshot 20200915 103714

At the edge of a four by four you're at 340 max. At a 5x2.5? Idk, not great on either side. You really want to be around 500-700 for flower iirc (no co2). Much below that is not enough light.

Here is the map for the 100w.
Screenshot 20200915 103644

At twelve inches, with three side by side but evenly apart, you will have a little overlap that could easily push those edge numbers up significantly. I think you can get good coverage that way. Plus it's less energy.

Edit: just realized these are tent vs open air. So the edge coverage on the 320 is surely better in a reflective environment. Not sure how much.

Btw those are from https://www.ledgrowlightsdepot.com/...tt-quantum-board-3000k-diy-led-grow-light-kit

And

respectively.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Not sure it's at all obvious. In fact, I would lean heavily to the three light option if you plan to fill the room.

Here is the ppfd map for the light.
View attachment 1031025
At the edge of a four by four you're at 340 max. At a 5x2.5? Idk, not great on either side. You really want to be around 500-700 for flower iirc (no co2). Much below that is not enough light.

Here is the map for the 100w.
View attachment 1031026
At twelve inches, with three side by side but evenly apart, you will have a little overlap that could easily push those edge numbers up significantly. I think you can get good coverage that way. Plus it's less energy.

Btw those are from https://www.ledgrowlightsdepot.com/...tt-quantum-board-3000k-diy-led-grow-light-kit

And

respectively.
No this is wrong. And comparing a reflective tent to open air. You can't get more light out of less watts with the same boards. The hlg 100 runs no heat sink and therefore less watts. The boards are the same. Spacing will be almost identical for most even coverage

Last edited:
Top Bottom