Tea Recipe

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I can't wait to use Cap's bennies with the subcool mix. Cap, if you're watching, drop by my diary, it should be rocking in a week or so.

outwest

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

When something fixes TOO many things it starts sounding like snake oil.

But I dont give a damn how this sounds. Its not tea either. Its letting your "tea" "brew" in the soil.

This is for a 5 gallon bucket:

Add 5 TBSP of EACH of the 3 spore packs to 5 gallons of RO or distilled water.

Add 5 tsp of molasses

Add 2 cups of EWC

Stir it every time you grab a cup full...get the castings in there.

Pour a 8 oz-1cup at the base of your plants and watch them.

I took some LST and defoliation a little too far...stressed them a touch. Hit em with this and 24 hours later....green city.

This is like a big shot of B vitamins. It just seems to improve overall plant vigor.

Shit. It costs like 10 bucks...try it...you'll like it...

just give it a couple of days for everything to wake up and start kickin ass.

You girls will thank you.

A

advanced396

Been brewing tea all week with Caps nute,foliar and roots..Ordered 2 kilos of each ..Glad I did i sent a bunch of peeps to ebay and its looks like its sold out..Doing a bunch of test with different nute products adding caps benies to the mix.. Thanks Bro...

Jack
What else do you put in your tea besides caps nute, foliar and roots?

K

kushtrees

Im currently doing

1 tbsp/ gal of root and foliar packs
2 tbsp/ gal hibrix molasses
1 oz/ gal A1 flora vino
with a stocking of EWC and alfalfa

was wondering how much kelp and humic fulvic people are adding
I want to add liquid karma, cuz i have extra, and a kelp source, im thinking either algen extract or nitrozime cuz i have that already as well. what doeses are people using for these products? and nitrozime or algen extract which would be better?

teas are definitely the best addition ive done so far plants are loving em, thanks again cap

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

I use growmore humic and kelp. Cheap and good.

tbsp/gal for kelp

the growmore humic is super concentrated, like 1oz/10gallons. And its 4.99 a quart. I just add a couple of ml or so per gallon.

C

cctt

I've been using the spores directly, but am now playing around with some teas. A couple questions-

Will this tea without EWC still be as effective at doing all the things the spores do themselves?

If I run sweeteners in the res, might I risk a big fermented mess later?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
EWC is chock full of shit (literally) thats great for plants. It also deters whitefly as far as I know. You can go without it, but you do need a food source (molasses). I have not had a problem yet since like October. You don't want to brew the tea a week, just a day.

In short, IMHO you dont need the EWC or the alfalfa or anything really but the spores and food source. I would not brew a tea without all of it though. That's just me.

KennyPowers

KennyPowers

i have brewed an alfalfa tea on and off for awhile that also included kelp meal and ewc. usually foliar sprayed but used the extra in feedings. plants love that shit. cannot wait to get some of these benes to add to the mix.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
EWC is chock full of shit (literally) thats great for plants. It also deters whitefly as far as I know. You can go without it, but you do need a food source (molasses). I have not had a problem yet since like October. You don't want to brew the tea a week, just a day.

In short, IMHO you dont need the EWC or the alfalfa or anything really but the spores and food source. I would not brew a tea without all of it though. That's just me.

imho, some peoples best bet MAY be doing the latter. going without a scope, you do not have any idea what is happening and how to adjust your tea brew.
So many factors contribute to a good tea. if you do not have the proper DO levels, all is moot as well.

Example of one brew: I used cap's tea recipe and used compost that ended up being very high in protozoa. The protozoa ate up all the bacteria, there was not any spores present either. Cap's bennies ended up being food for the protozoa. Shit ton of em along w some bacteria, spores/fungi niltch.

Going to do more tests with food sources other than molasses. Was instructed the molasses may have made the bacteria population explode, which then supplied food to the protists and then there population exploded. Molasses is not always the best food source for a balanced tea, bacteria populations can explode. listed a few different foods below

Another brew used hydrosylate and went for 36 hours before fungi appeared, but the tea was more balanced.

Do meter and scope is really needed.

Testing out more tea brews with a different food source and no compost or other inputs to see if there are better results. (under a microscope).

You can also use different food sources to encourage either fungi or bacteria or both.

few examples:
fungi food sources - fish hydrolysate, humic acid
fungi and bacteria - cottonseed meal, kelp meal
feed hay - food source for protozoa
fish emulsion - bacteria

Hope that helps,

-Lead

C

cctt

That's some great info, leadsled. I definitely notice an explosion of life both in the tea brewer and in the res with varying timing. Unfortunately I lack a proper scope and have to guess at what's going on based on the smell of the water. I bet a compost sommelier of sorts could determine a great deal this way, but I get just a general idea. A stable balance seems difficult to achieve in a hydro setting while periodically changing water, reinoculating, and adding additional food sources.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Hey Lead keep us posted on your findings. What kind of compost did you use?

I also dont bubble longer than 24 hours. I may even shorten my bubble time to 14 hours. I just want to get them out of stasis, not have an explosion. 48-72 hours IMHO seems way too long.

I'm ordering a scope today finally.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

Man Led...your post prolly made everybody want to go buy a scope.

I dont know what I think I know.

That scope is the only way.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

If you guys have been seeing me post this..

fat tbsp/gal , all 3 cappaks
tsp/gal molasses or other carb ( molasses is what I have been using
tsp/gal kelp
1 cup of EWC

I have been mixing a soup from this and pouring 8oz-1 cup at the root base.

The reason is because I KNOW that I dont have a clue REALLY what is going on in the ACT brew.

Its guess work.

My dumb hick logic tells me I would rather have the microbiology working out dominance in its natural environment (natural as an indoor grow gets),,,in the soil...

as opposed to inside a 5 gallon bucket. I thought using Cappak's and EWC and everything else was gonna cause an out of wack population. Hell...there is such a difference between fish emulsion and EWC its not even funny. The difference in bacterical and fungal.

I am getting a scope after next pull.

Because once I learn how to make the ACT produce life as I wish...then comes learning how to time them ...just like bloom boosters and other nutes.

First thing first. Without a scope...results will be unpredictable at best.

Thats why I stick with the most basic EWC recipe around. It is the most consistent ACT recipe in my book.

My results get squirrelly when I start throwing the kitchen sink into tea.

Leadsleds post explains why.

Dude...thanks again for a understandable scope explanation Leadsled.

I owe CTGuy an apology. long nuther story. He knows his shit, I will give him that all day long.

K

kushtrees

Great posts here about determining what is actually in your tea, thanks leadsled and mississippi hip. I was wondering if there's any visual determinants of what is in your tea. For example my tea brew is

Molasses
Root and foliar pack
Flora vino
EWC and kelp meal in a stocking

It always bubbled like made and had a ton of foam all over the bucket wen it brews. My last batch I added some algen extract from HG and some liquid karma and this time there was significantly less bubbles/ foam.

Is this a bad thing? Is foam a good determinant of a strong bacterial population? Is no foam even bad or Could something in the algen extract or liquid karma have eaten all the bacteria? Ive been doing teas for only a month n have little knowledge or experience with em, but I'm trying to find a way where I can gauge how good my tea is without a microscope

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
That's some great info, leadsled. I definitely notice an explosion of life both in the tea brewer and in the res with varying timing. Unfortunately I lack a proper scope and have to guess at what's going on based on the smell of the water. I bet a compost sommelier of sorts could determine a great deal this way, but I get just a general idea. A stable balance seems difficult to achieve in a hydro setting while periodically changing water, reinoculating, and adding additional food sources.

Glad it was helpful. My point is to be sure, you cant guess about microbial life. Honestly. Going my smell is not going to cut it if you want to be sure and not guess.

I recently saw first hand, When it smells bad it is not always a Anerobic. So many factors so is best not left to a guessing game. I used to drive myself nuts wondering if my tea was good or not. Well it was bad an it took me multiple tries to get a good batch of tea. The scope and do meter is just the start of learning how to identify all of the microbiology.

Hey Lead keep us posted on your findings. What kind of compost did you use?

I also dont bubble longer than 24 hours. I may even shorten my bubble time to 14 hours. I just want to get them out of stasis, not have an explosion. 48-72 hours IMHO seems way too long.

I'm ordering a scope today finally.

Will do, I use compost from a homemade compost pile. You can make your own bokashi composting bin, or worm farm if you do not have space for a compost pile.

RE: shorter brew. Good ideas, I am going to test the 12 hour brew w just your pack and sugar source to see what happens.

Congrats on the scope.

Man Led...your post prolly made everybody want to go buy a scope.

I dont know what I think I know.

That scope is the only way.
Good deal. Do not forget the DO meter. (or buy CT guys lab tested brewer with proven DO levels) You need proper dissolved oxygen levels buddy.

Leadsleds post explains why.

Dude...thanks again for a understandable scope explanation Leadsled.

I owe CTGuy an apology. long nuther story. He knows his shit, I will give him that all day long.

Yes, originally CT guy did come across as spamming. But if you been on forums for many years you would know that was NOT always the case. Hey the economy tanked and the fact is this. People running businesses got to make a living.

In my opinion, there appear to be persons that genuinely have morals, want to provide quality product at affordable prices. Vs. overhyped lies you frequently see in the hydro industry.

Good deal, after getting a scope. Then can go out and give microbeman (InTheBeginning) some business for his microbe identification DVD. It really rocks and if you do not have someone to teach you it is a priceless resource.

Better yet, buy a proven brewer (with proper DO levels) or food sources/compost from CT guy. (K.I.S. compost tea brewer).

If he was out to just make money he would have never disclosed how to make your own brewer. (years ago, and the information is still out there) That takes $$out of his pocket so IMHO CT Guy appears to be stand up guy.

Hope that helps give you a little more perspective. If you have not been online for 5+ years and have a good memory then some things would not be as apparent.

Hope that helps.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Glad it was helpful. My point is to be sure, you cant guess about microbial life. Honestly. Going my smell is not going to cut it if you want to be sure and not guess.

I recently saw first hand, When it smells bad it is not always a Anerobic. So many factors so is best not left to a guessing game. I used to drive myself nuts wondering if my tea was good or not. Well it was bad an it took me multiple tries to get a good batch of tea. The scope and do meter is just the start of learning how to identify all of the microbiology.

Will do, I use compost from a homemade compost pile. You can make your own bokashi composting bin, or worm farm if you do not have space for a compost pile.

RE: shorter brew. Good ideas, I am going to test the 12 hour brew w just your pack and sugar source to see what happens.

Congrats on the scope.

Good deal. Do not forget the DO meter. (or buy CT guys lab tested brewer with proven DO levels) You need proper dissolved oxygen levels buddy.

Yes, originally CT guy did come across as spamming. But if you been on forums for many years you would know that was NOT always the case. Hey the economy tanked and the fact is this. People running businesses got to make a living.

In my opinion, there appear to be persons that genuinely have morals, want to provide quality product at affordable prices. Vs. overhyped lies you frequently see in the hydro industry.

Good deal, after getting a scope. Then can go out and give microbeman (InTheBeginning) some business for his microbe identification DVD. It really rocks and if you do not have someone to teach you it is a priceless resource.

Better yet, buy a proven brewer (with proper DO levels) or food sources/compost from CT guy. (K.I.S. compost tea brewer).

If he was out to just make money he would have never disclosed how to make your own brewer. (years ago, and the information is still out there) That takes $$out of his pocket so IMHO CT Guy appears to be stand up guy.

Hope that helps give you a little more perspective. If you have not been online for 5+ years and have a good memory then some things would not be as apparent.

Hope that helps.

I have a identification dvd coming to me and was looking at this scope

(I know it aint a meiji but I want something to start). I was told it can be a PITA actually identifying bacteria because you have to use dyes and such.. Maybe you guys can chime in on this and we can get a crew analyzing teas here to get it down with my packs and a perfect food source. I'm loving the microbial life these days. Its super fascinating.

There is no need to explore space with the infinite universe we have right here on a microscopic level.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

What is CTGuys website addy?

Microbeman too, please sirs...

Lead...I had already been considering CT's brewer for that very reason.

Elimination of variables. One less thing to worry about.

And for the price of a dank DO meter....his brewer is cheap.

Top Bottom