baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Getting ready to experiment here!
IMG 1562

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
I have a identification dvd coming to me and was looking at this scope

(I know it aint a meiji but I want something to start). I was told it can be a PITA actually identifying bacteria because you have to use dyes and such.. Maybe you guys can chime in on this and we can get a crew analyzing teas here to get it down with my packs and a perfect food source. I'm loving the microbial life these days. Its super fascinating.

There is no need to explore space with the infinite universe we have right here on a microscopic level.
That looks like it will do the job. I am told that we do not need to go to that level.

ok, I know I got bacteria, protists and a balanced tea. Then dbl check and see if I got proper DO levels and then I am good to apply.

My understanding it identification w dyes of individual bacteria and such is way more advanced than the basics of what is needed to test teas, soil and extracts. Then you can do more advanced work and do counts of different bacteria etc. To know your brewing a good tea, that is way overkill.

I agree! Compounded research on facts not guesses, is always better imho.

Microscope to Purchase

You can purchase a common binocular microscope with a under light illumination (or back lit) for analyzing your own soil samples. The microscope magnification range needs to be 40X to 400X. These objectives come standard with most microscopes. A halogen lamp and condenser lens needs to be equipped on the microscope. A foreground lit microscope will not work for this application. This type of microscope can be purchased for around $500 online. Shop around before buying one. You donā€™t need to get a super-duper one. Remember, you are looking at dirt and compost tea. Just get a decent one.
You can also buy trinocular microscopes for taking pictures of slides. They are about $100 more, but you can attach two types of cameras to the microscope. You can attach a USB camera by sticking it down the tube, or you can get a DSLR camera mount. The USB cameras can be purchased for around $250. Tube mounts for DLSR cameras range in all sorts of prices. You can also get a tube mount for a video camera.
The USB camera can also replace one of the eye pieces. It connects to your computer. Generally, the resolution is around 1000 X 1000 points. Some USB cameras come with software to help film samples.
A simple and ā€œjust as effectiveā€ way to photograph slides is to use a hand held ā€œpoint-n-shootā€ camera. Hold the camera lens up to one of the microscope 10X eye pieces and focus. The eyepiece has the same optical characters for the camera as it does for your eye. It works great. There is no need to spend a lot of money on camera tubes and mounts. It is easy to use what you have around the house.

The halogen lamp is located under the condenser lens. There is a lamp intensity controller off to the left. When using the microscope, set the condenser lens aperture to the smallest open. This gives the greatest depth-of-field for viewing.
objective. It comes with most microscopes, but we really donā€™t need that high power of magnification.

Gong off the article and what I have been told, The one you linked looks like it will do the job.

One thing I learned.
I would check if it uses LED or halogen.
For a scope with a camera, I was looking at the Labomed CxL Digital Binocular Microscope with 1.3MP Camera and Software - 9135004 - about same price as what your viewing.

for one w/o camera. labomed CXL digital led binocular, can be had on wayfair dot com for around 500. The LED is not needed but nice to have. The scope can be taken into the field and the LED doesnt heat up the samples like the halogen does. Halogen can be had for cheaper.

Hope that helps, will share more as I learn and explore.

What is CTGuys website addy?

Microbeman too, please sirs...

Lead...I had already been considering CT's brewer for that very reason.

Elimination of variables. One less thing to worry about.

And for the price of a dank DO meter....his brewer is cheap.

CT Guy
http://www.simplici-tea.com/

Can get the DVD from microbeman here:
http://www.microbeorganics.com/

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I just brewed a batch inoculating with Cap's packs alone. I used root/foliar, Floranectar, Floralicious Plus, and Diamond Nectar. There was no bubbling or foaming at all.

when I added too much liquid K just the last time, I lost all bubble and foam. With just the earthjuice, EWC, and alfalfa, I get tons of foam (see previous pic here in this thread).

Is bubble/foam even an indicator of microbial life doing its thing? I just ordered my scope.

K

kushtrees

when I added too much liquid K just the last time, I lost all bubble and foam. With just the earthjuice, EWC, and alfalfa, I get tons of foam (see previous pic here in this thread).

Is bubble/foam even an indicator of microbial life doing its thing? I just ordered my scope.

That's what I'm wondering. But it seems as though the only way to tell is with a microscope

I might have to check out those Kis brewers it would b nice to know that there's plenty of DO one less thing to worry about thanks leadsled

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

I was curious if Capulator or leadsled could comment on adding baby oatmeal to the tea. From what Ive read, its best to moisten the oatmeal and place it in a dark warm environment for 24-48 hrs until you see mycelium growing on top. It is my understanding that fungi require a little bit of a head start, so my plan was to prepare the oatmeal a day or so before I start brewing the tea and then toss it in w the EWC. Based on Cap's benne tea recipe, when brewing, how much would you add for a balanced tea and how much for a fungal dominant one? Or are the packs already "balanced"? Also, can the alfalfa meal be omitted when adding baby oatmeal, or am I incorrect in thinking the oatmeal serves the same purpose as the alfalfa?
On a side note, I mixed up some tea on friday and forgot to put it in the refrigerator to store. Trash it?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Alfalfa has tricontanol.

I am not sure about oatmeal. I would be scared to throw that in my res... Like cooked oatmeal??? What species of mycelium growing on "baby oatmeal" is beneficial for plants?

The packs have several spp of beneficial fungi already... ones that are tried and true, and compatible with the bacteria in the packs as well.

trash it. best to brew enough tea to use and not keep it.

K

kushtrees

check out leadsleds grow diary in i think its in his sig, he does something like that but its adding it to compost not straight oatmeal

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

Alfalfa has tricontanol.

I am not sure about oatmeal. I would be scared to throw that in my res... Like cooked oatmeal??? What species of mycelium growing on "baby oatmeal" is beneficial for plants?

The packs have several spp of beneficial fungi already... ones that are tried and true, and compatible with the bacteria in the packs as well.

trash it. best to brew enough tea to use and not keep it.
No, not cooked oatmeal. Prior to making your tea, dampen the oatmeal (like w a spray bottle-mist) and incubate for 24-72 hrs (warm and dark). Float mycelium covered compost w EWCs, alfalfa, etc in stocking. Ive been doing a lot of reading on teas, and I saw the baby oatmeal thing come up a couple times so I was curious if you guys were using it. Try Googling "compost tea baby oatmeal cannabis". I read of people using it "feed the compost", but didnt see how much. Im a noob to teas, microbiology, and organics in general. Learning.
check out leadsleds grow diary in i think its in his sig, he does something like that but its adding it to compost not straight oatmeal
Cool. Thanks for the heads up.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Hey cap... was wondering:

What temp to keep your bennies stored at?

What is the best temp to keep tea at when brewing?

Thanks again as I looked and could not find it as I remember you had answered it somewhere here and I forgot to right it down.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Hey cap... was wondering:

What temp to keep your bennies stored at?

What is the best temp to keep tea at when brewing?

Thanks again as I looked and could not find it as I remember you had answered it somewhere here and I forgot to right it down.

keep it under 85.

30 degrees for MAX life, but room temp is fine. Put them in the fridge if you have space. The new bags are insulating so they should be fine in most homes just on the shelf.

K

kushtrees

I am about to try n make leadsleds vortex brewer, but it is lookin like i wont be able to brew only 1-2 gallons unless i downsize it. if i make a tea with 2 gallons worth of inputs (2 tbsp caps bennies, 50ml molasses, etc), but use 4 gallons of RO water, will diulting it at 2 cups/ 5 gallons, be equivelent to making it in 2 gallons of water diluting at 1 cup/ gallon? Im new with teas and was wondering how if changing its strength and dilution would be that simple. thanks

dirk d

dirk d

"Is bubble/foam even an indicator of microbial life doing its thing? I just ordered my scope"

you need foam, that is the direct result of the microbes doing there thing. without foam i would be suspect of the tea. remember peeps, lots of people try brewing AACT's but get disappointed because they didnt brew the tea properly. you need lots of air and you must have foam. also you can tell a quality brewed tea by its smell. it will smell of intense earth. if it doesnt smell of earth then you are better off tossing the mix.

also remember are you going for more of a bacterial brew or fungal brew??

to make a fungal dominate tea you need the baby's powdered oatmeal. you set it in a dish in a dark place with your composts/ewc for about 2-3 days. the fungus will breed into a "santa claus" beard and then you can use that mix to make a fungal dominate tea. fungi do not multiply like bacteria in the tea brewers. they will get bigger but numbers will not increase unless you give the fungi a head start. also you need a heat mat for under the dish.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Wonder why the liquid karma killed my foam? I ran another batch yesterday with no LK, but a little algen. It foamed up pretty good. Just the earthjuice has gotten me the best foam though so far. Next batch Im gonna try some fish emulsion.

dirk d

dirk d

Wonder why the liquid karma killed my foam? I ran another batch yesterday with no LK, but a little algen. It foamed up pretty good. Just the earthjuice has gotten me the best foam though so far. Next batch Im gonna try some fish emulsion.

why are you adding liquid karma to your mix cap?? i believe the liquid karma will actually feed the anaerobic bacteria if you are not careful, not 100% sure but i would remove the LK from your tea recipe.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Its not in my recipe I was just experimenting. Thanks for the info. I didnt use it I threw it all out and made a new batch the regular way.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter

I'm not remotely a biologist, but as I understand it, foam is an indication of good microbial activity in a brew. One of the tea kits I've used indicated as such.

outwest

Latest posts

Top Bottom