Tea Recipe

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
squiggly

squiggly

The meters work by measuring the charge through a reference electrode. The membranes on these devices actually attract ions to them, and when this happens the flow of charge which arises is measured. The membrane attracts these ions more or less strongly according to their concentration.

There are some problems though:

1. The instrument has a fairly high detection limit.

2. The instrument can become saturated along it's membrane, and give a measurement that is lower than what should be found.

3. Some ions will not interact with some membranes. The best method to use here are ion specific meters (to detect fluorine concentration, or sodium concentration--for instance).

4. The kinetics of attraction (the number of ions which will be attracted) are severely affected by different solution compositions. For instance. A solution of only one ion will give more accurate readings than one with, two, three, or four. When you get beyond 4 the kinetic picture is so hard to predict that the meter becomes basically useless.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I am also moving toward making my medium a safe haven for bennies as opposed to relying on tea. Right now I am mixing in alfalfa meal, EWC, and minerals in to the medium, and then I water in with a little molasses and bennies. So far my plants are looking the best ever.

By minerals do you mean the clay that you have been using?

I have thought about amending my coco with things, just never been sure what rates to amend with.

Fresh Starts

Fresh Starts

The meters work by measuring the charge through a reference electrode. The membranes on these devices actually attract ions to them, and when this happens the flow of charge which arises is measured. The membrane attracts these ions more or less strongly according to their concentration.

There are some problems though:

1. The instrument has a fairly high detection limit.

2. The instrument can become saturated along it's membrane, and give a measurement that is lower than what should be found.

3. Some ions will not interact with some membranes. The best method to use here are ion specific meters (to detect fluorine concentration, or sodium concentration--for instance).

4. The kinetics of attraction (the number of ions which will be attracted) are severely affected by different solution compositions. For instance. A solution of only one ion will give more accurate readings than one with, two, three, or four. When you get beyond 4 the kinetic picture is so hard to predict that the meter becomes basically useless.

I was making another batch of tea and I have found that 300ml of Botanicares' "Strapped" molasses product mixed into 16 gallons of water will read 500 ppms. So it was the sugar in the water that made it spike- I didn't even know sugar would read on a ppm pen.

Thanks for the breakdown squiggly

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Thats why you dont pay attention to the ppms of your tea.

squiggly

squiggly

I was making another batch of tea and I have found that 300ml of Botanicares' "Strapped" molasses product mixed into 16 gallons of water will read 500 ppms. So it was the sugar in the water that made it spike- I didn't even know sugar would read on a ppm pen.

Thanks for the breakdown squiggly

Anything charged will read on a ppm pen. It just won't read accurately is all.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

@Capulator ...would you mind sharing your source on the pyrophyllic clay.

Also what ratio's of ewc, alfalfa, pyrophyllic clay, to coco are you using?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
CaliShark

CaliShark

Glad I saw this post about pyrophyllite clay, I've been looking for a way to add silica to my plant instead of using potassium silica. As I feel the extra addition of K was not needed.

Cap do you have a link to a thread where I can read more info on pyrophyllite clay...?

CaliShark

CaliShark

I've read about it online, I just was wondering if you all had a discussion about it here on the farm, but I guess not.

Back to tea recipe...

salmonslammer

salmonslammer

Well cali the farm has a great library of past threads that you can RESEARCH use the search engine and it will expose a wealth of past knowledge lol just my 2 cents :D

R

Ronnie88

Look up azomite rock dust or Gaia green glacial rock dust. Supplies many more minerals than just silica.

I'm brewing a tea using ewc, bat guano, molasses, glacial rock dust, foliar pack, root pack.

Ladyv

Ladyv

http://www.vitalityherbsandclay.com...art&page=shop.browse&category_id=13&Itemid=53

Thanks to @salmonslammer

25% perlite
50% sunshine #4 or tupur
25% EWC
A couple handlfuls of both alfalfa and pyrophyllite clay to top dress.
1/4 cup each root and nute pack to top dress (12 gallon container)

Hey Cap, my local shop ran out of the Nute Pack and I couldn't wait to transplant my girls. I was going to water in the Nute Pack when it arrived, but think now I'll just top dress with it after seeing this. I'm in 2 gal smart pots with coco/perlite, soooo I'm assuming 1-2 Tbsp per plant and then water in with reg nutes after applying???

I also just ordered some of the pyrophyllite clay & their Liquid Gold product - thanks for the link!!

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Hey Cap, my local shop ran out of the Nute Pack and I couldn't wait to transplant my girls. I was going to water in the Nute Pack when it arrived, but think now I'll just top dress with it after seeing this. I'm in 2 gal smart pots with coco/perlite, soooo I'm assuming 1-2 Tbsp per plant and then water in with reg nutes after applying???

I also just ordered some of the pyrophyllite clay & their Liquid Gold product - thanks for the link!!

You can top dress with it!

THriveSeeds

THriveSeeds

awesome info.. Im ordering some packs asap to try out..
thanks to all that have posted...:jimlad:

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

@Capulator, do you know if there is a big difference between mealworm castings and earthworm castings? There is a worm farm close to me...but they only do mealworms.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
@Capulator, do you know if there is a big difference between mealworm castings and earthworm castings? There is a worm farm close to me...but they only do mealworms.

No idea. Seems to me that worm shit is worm shit you should ask the supplier I am sure they would know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom