Terpenes Mysteries ?

• Thread starter Titoon_29
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Titoon_29

Hey BH, L33t,

thanks for the link l33t, so that must mean that lime oil is smokable, at least at small dosage, so i tried some on joint... it s quite tasty, but if you put it straight on the paper i must say it s a little bit too lemony sometimes, but still ok.
I didn t really notice any big difference in the high, but i must try it again, for a wake and bake session it can be not really acurate ^^ with ECSD...

BH maybe mixing with oil some cannabis oil would be interesting.. seems some research have been made by others...I don t have any oil in my possession, and i don t have a lot of stash atm, so i cant do the oil test, nor the eating taste.... but i will... i ll think about everything...

Indeed vaporizing is the best solution in my mind, we just put the oil straight on the buds...
i m still looking for the vaporization temperature of the terpens (myrcen,pinen,etc..) could be really interesting too see if a vaporizer is able to isolate some.

Medical Marijuana said:
"Also, Robert Connel Clarke's book on hash covers all the terpenes very well. Rosenthal's next book out early next year has 3 chapters devoted to terpenes. Rosenthal does very little re grow thse days, and has been doing research with the chinese on terpenes. I talked about this with him at Mardi Grass this year."
need to find this book...

"One thing Ed told me that fascinated me, is that he is looking into 'value adding', whereby selected terpenes are somehow added to buds post harvest, to improve the quality of the high. At first I thought this a bit dubious, thinking along the lines of watering down whiskey, but then I realised that this immediately gave scope to allow users to tailor buds to personal tastes."

"I am trialling a cannabis tincture with added Myrcene, and have noticed some profound benefits.
The base tincture I use is a tinc made from a strain called Clever Man. It is great for pain, hunger, and dream suppression, but lacks a bit in mood lift. When I add 1ml of Myrcene to 125ml of tinc, the new tinc takes on a much better mood-lifting quality. It is very noticeable! Myrcene is known to be a powereful analgesic, anti-inflammatory, mood modulator. It has been used in the perfume industry for years, as well as aromatherapy applications.

Myrcene is a sticky clear amber coloured resin, not unlike the resin on a Cannabis plant."

"The skunk aroma is a combination of many terpenes, dominated by it's Afghan input in the genetics. It is very high in Myrcene, which comes from the sativa side of parentage. I think all up there are 67 main terpenes, so Skunk aroma will be a mix."

Well, first up is to make sure that you ALWAYS inhale the aromas and perfumes PRIOR to smoking or vaping. You do this by breaking up, or chopping up your bud prior to consumption. This releases the volatile terpenes in the bud when you rupture the resin glands. If you then inhale deeply through your nose and wait at least 5 minutes, you will maximise the benefits from that bud.
To show how this works in practice, all of you will have seen reports from police that their officers have gotten 'high' when seizing ripe cannabis in large quantities from a grow room. The police are not actually high, but they are in fact affected by the terpenes released into the air as they handle the cannabis. The two most prevalent terpenes giving this reaction are Myrcene and Geraniol. The police are relaxed and somewhat sedated, but they are NOT high. You will also notice this effect when manicuring your cannabis at harvest time.
I know a lot of purists will nay say about breaking a bud up prior to smoking, but I can assure you that they would get a better benefit if the chopped and inhaled first.

I'm gonna pm jack from gh to see if he can come with some answers, and if greenhouse breeders are ready to share more knowledge with some fellow smokers ^^ Cause they know a lot. I now will try to their method to smell the bud and break it before smoking. i always do spend time on smelling it prior to any smoke, but never noticed if it can affect the high and how much...

Reeferman, if you re still around, i wonder what were your main conclusions in your experimentations in terpens.. do you have any smell you could describe the high ? For exemple can you link the high to some tastes/smell in the l33t posted chart

++ Hope you all readers enjoy the geeks ^^ lol

Dr CandyMan

Dr CandyMan

Breeder
Supporter
awesome thread u guys keep it coming. Reef u are very blessed to have experienced that study. i'm sure it was invaluable knowledge learned.

T

Titoon_29

Hey PeePeePete, thanks for your post,

i was actually thinking about making a small database, which could be access from internet, to put some data of the smoke report template.
but it s getting complicating when i m starting looking at building a mysql database, along with some php, and i ve never done that. but still this is the best way.

Here is what we could enter from the smoke report template, in the database :

Optional:
(Use an X to indicate the colors that are present in the trichome heads under magnification or list the percentages of each color for a more precise report.

Clear [ ] Cloudy [ ] Amber [ ] Dark [ ])
depend on how precise do we want to be, but it still take just a second per question so why not ?

4. Mark with X the colors that are present in the buds or for a more detailed color analysis rate presence on a scale 1-9 light-dark.

Brown [ ] Green [ ] Gold [ ] Blue [ ] Grey [ ] White [ ] Red [ ] Rust [ ] Orange [ ] Purple [ ] Black [ ]
IMO the best is to say you can pick up 3 colors max, to simplify graphs and everything. Yu have 9 points to put on these three colors, but you can choose only one

6. Use numbers 1-9 on descriptors that apply to the aroma of freshly broken bud where a one indicates a subtle presence and 9 indicates a pronounced presence. Delete the existing space when marking a descriptor in order to maintain the columns in alignment.

Ammonia [ ] Earthy [ ] Licorice [ ] Peach [ ] Berry [ ] Floral [ ] Mango [ ] Pepper [ ] Blueberry [ ] Fruit [ ] Meat [ ] Petroleum [ ] Bubblegum [ ] Grape [ ] Melon [ ] Pine [ ] Cedar [ ] Grapefruit [ ] Menthol [ ]
Pineapple [ ] Cherry [ ] Grass/Hay [ ] Mint [ ] Rotten [ ] Chocolate [ ] Hash [ ] Mold [ ] Skunk [ ] Citrus [ ] Iron/Rust [ ] Musk [ ] Spice [ ] Coconut [ ] Leather [ ] Nutmeg [ ] Strawberry [ ] Coffee [ ] Lemon [ ] Orange [ ] Vanilla [ ]
Again, lets stay on the 3 main smells, .

7. Aroma [ ] Rate the aroma from 1-10 repulsive-delightful. Use freshly crumbled bud for best results.

etc... with the high part too...

Than with that data with graphs comparing some smell and taste with some effects, and even more... i will continue working on this...

P

PeePeePete

Yea, Titoon, i think you are totally right on with your ideas.

I don't know anything about programming, but if i can help at all please ask.

Y

yoko

The Volcano, or any other vaporizer with an accurate temperature display would be helpful in isolating some of the specific oils and effects

true grit

true grit

This is very interesting. So this attraction to smell is from terpenes? As a biological defense and responder to environmental stress (great links btw-thanks) maybe these terpenes coincide with the cannabinoids to trigger us to consume the plants as cannabinoids are implementary in cellular regulation in living organisms. I know I'm attracted to scents of plants much like many animals and these plants provide cannabinoids that are beneficial to healthy survival and evolution. Interesting how complex these plant systems are and how beneficial they will be once we can research them more.

T

Titoon_29

Hello all ! Long time i haven t been looking at this thread !!!:smiley_joint:

Finally i started looking for this database project, but it looks way to big for me to handle, i m not good at programming, and don t have much time to learn a new language :animal0048:... Anyway i m working on a personal project just with my data...

yoko, i just get a volcano, and waiting for my current grow to finish, and have a lot of different terpens profile, from cheese to sugar haze, australian, amnesia, nl, i ll be able to start vaporizing for comparisons.... :anim_30:

Vaporizer should give an incredible accuracy for smoke report, in taste and high. It s possible to vaporize at different temperatures, THC : 157 degrees C, CBD: 188..

fractionating cannabinoids

true grit your point is very interesting too ! We were talking about it a few months ago with moonunit, another farmer and friend the way cannabis interact with us :anim_30:, and how it could be a part of his survival mecanism....
cannabinoids seems to have a special place in the nature :tmi ... i have to search about this...

Now next step is my database based on the smoke report up here... i m gonna start to fill it...

If anybody has some info on terpens that would be great to share ! ;-)

Some flavours to come... from my grow
...where i m also doing some flowering additives testing, to check if there is any difference on the final product, with or without, with clones from 5 strains.
http://img193.invalid.com/img193/3109/17may19.jpg
http://img35.invalid.com/img35/1721/17may17.jpg
http://img199.invalid.com/img199/7442/17may9.jpg

H

HappyHybridS

Really good one titoon!

I too think that terpenes do influence the high... imho there is something like a sativa-smell, and also something like an indica-smell, in generall which then may divide up further into certain terpenes... but about those 2 categories i'm quite sure (of course both can occur in one plant, also one could argue that there are more than only 2 seperate categories)

but the point is: flavour does affect the high! (on the one side of course psychologically because a certain smell does activate certain emotions and expectations in the subject's brain) but i think there is more, this could be the terpenes being at work in the high...

this is a really highly interesting field of studies, and it really is a shame that serious research is hardly done because of the legal situation :puke

also very good point you're making on the different tastes from inhale to exhale titoon, i find your approach of applying techniques from wine sampling to to weed sampling highly apealing - i think i'll have to read a book about winetasting...

but on the vaporizer thing i tend to disagree... imho (espacially the volcano) gives nearly all buds a generic kind of taste - i can differentiate much more when smoking than when vaping... sad side is as you mentioned that smoking in general kills gustative nerve...
but taste is such a difficult, subjective matter - i know quite a few people who tell me i'm insane for stating that vaporizers do create a same (generic) taste in all buds... i even mix with tobaco because it tastes better to me than in pure form - another point where you can argue all day about...

i'll try to use my volcano on a low level on buds before smoking them to see wether i can detect differences in the high... and i'm thinking about first letting another person inhale the vapour made with under 150° and then smoking the buds myself... so there should be 2 levels of detecting a difference: 1st the person who vaporizes, 2nd the person who smoke the vaporized buds... that takes the subjectivity a little more into account...

greetz

saldiado

saldiado

This has some interesting info on limonene.
This has been a real dope thread to read through, and I have thought for years that the smell, and flavor was a direct indication of what the high is gonna be like, and a perfect example of that is some OG, or chemdog. when you smell either of these you can smell the high burning through your nostrels, and when you smoke it the same effect only on your whole body, and mind.....dammm ill be back ha , sal

T

Titoon_29

Thanks for you comment punkadc... glad you like this thread !!!!

HappyHybridS, always good to see you around, with all your knowledge !!!

I too think that terpenes do influence the high... imho there is something like a sativa-smell, and also something like an indica-smell, in generall which then may divide up further into certain terpenes... but about those 2 categories i'm quite sure (of course both can occur in one plant, also one could argue that there are more than only 2 seperate categories)
i was thinking about indica/sativa smell, compare to the structure... i m still on my way to get some data using smoke reports to get some statistics about the effect of the structure of buds on the high, but also on the structure of buds on the smell, there is definetly something there !

but the point is: flavour does affect the high! (on the one side of course psychologically because a certain smell does activate certain emotions and expectations in the subject's brain) but i think there is more, this could be the terpenes being at work in the high...
I totally agree... indeed, i m always amazed how some smells reminds me of some herb (or other things, or moment), and put me in a good (or bad but rarely) mood.... so i guess terpens have some influence, and more than just reminding me of some situations...

this is a really highly interesting field of studies, and it really is a shame that serious research is hardly done because of the legal situation
Hell yeah, what a shame...

also very good point you're making on the different tastes from inhale to exhale titoon, i find your approach of applying techniques from wine sampling to to weed sampling highly apealing - i think i'll have to read a book about winetasting...
Yep i think using knowledge from other field is always interesting, instead of starting from the basics, especially for personal projects.... the wine tasting has definetly given me some nice ideas, about the taste, but also how my smoke report should be done carefully, and that i have still enormous improvements to do before getting to some very accurate reports... Still judging herb is totally another thing, at least for tasting...

but on the vaporizer thing i tend to disagree... imho (espacially the volcano) gives nearly all buds a generic kind of taste - i can differentiate much more when smoking than when vaping... sad side is as you mentioned that smoking in general kills gustative nerve...
but taste is such a difficult, subjective matter - i know quite a few people who tell me i'm insane for stating that vaporizers do create a same (generic) taste in all buds... i even mix with tobaco because it tastes better to me than in pure form - another point where you can argue all day about...

Well again i agree...From my very first impressions with my volcano, i have to say that i have an hard time differencing herbs from one to another, while a lot of people told me that taste is a lot more precise on a volcano...

indeed, smoke kills your taste slowly, but stopping to smoke for a few make me unable to taste buds when i go back to smoke (i m not smoking cigarettes, but put some tobacco in my joints).. i also mix with tobacco, not much, but sometimes feel like something is missing without it... but i recently find out that smoking pure work better, it s just that i m so used to put tobacco i can t imagine smoking without.

i'll try to use my volcano on a low level on buds before smoking them to see wether i can detect differences in the high... and i'm thinking about first letting another person inhale the vapour made with under 150° and then smoking the buds myself... so there should be 2 levels of detecting a difference: 1st the person who vaporizes, 2nd the person who smoke the vaporized buds... that takes the subjectivity a little more into account...
very good point ! and also i would try to start a day with some already-vaped-at-low-temperatures vaped or smoked buds... i think this would give us at first an idea of how we can isolate cannabinoids and terpens using different temperatures...
i have to look for more informations on vaporizing terpens and cannabinoids, and establish a process for isolation...

also i ll consider adding essential oil to the buds to check out for differences...

my only problem is for this kind of test, i can t smoke a lot like i usually enjoy to...

saldiado>thanks for your link... that would be really interesting to know if terpens are assimilated in the good way by smoking to have their anti cancer action.. i ll dig some info on that tooo...

So thanks all for your posts !!! HappyHybridS let us know about your volcano tests....

and me, i m waiting for my crop to be able to start .... from now i ll be trying to establish the most accurate smoke report using Volcano + smoking, and a smoke report which can be used for statistics (meaning numbers, no words..)

+++

M

MIZZ ELVIS

Taken from Ed Rosenthals Big Book of Buds 3
Chemically speaking, terpenes are composed of repeating units of isoprene, which is a five carbon unit chain or ring with eight hydrogen atoms attached(C5H8). Terpenes use the simple isoprene units as blocks to build 10, 15, 20 and 30 carbon units(these are called, respectively, the C10-monoterpenoid, C15 sesquiterpenoid, C20-diterpenoid, C30- triterpenoid) and can twist and turn the molecular structure to form simple chains or three-dimensional (polycyclic) structures. In addition, terpenes can form bonds with other molecules, which affect how animals and plants react to them. Depending on how they stack against each other, they form different aromatic compounds.

Most of the aromas that we associate with plants are the results of terpenes and flavonoids. Humans can smell and taste these compounds, but that is not the only ways that they affect us. Aromatherapy uses inhaled essential oils to regulate mood, sleep paterns, acuity and the healing process. Lavender oil is a soothing agent and relaxant; rosemary is used to focus attention and provide a sense of satisfaction. These effects are a result of the combination of terpenes and other chemicals found in the oils of these plants. While terpenes affect the brain in their own way, they also modify the effect of THC within the brain, adding subtleties to the high.

Some terpenes may affect the high in this way because they lock into receptor sites in the brain and modify its chemical output. A few, such as thujone, one of the main terpenes in wormwood(used to make absinthe), bind weakly to the CB1 receptor. Others may alter the permeability of cell membranes or the blood brain-barrier, and allow in either more or less THC. Others affect serotonin and dopamine chemistry (neurotransmitters) by shutting off their production, affecting their movement, binding to their receptor sites, or slowing their natural destruction.
Dopamine and serotonin, two of the main regulators of mood and attitude are affected by some terpenes.

By tempoarily altering brain function, terpenes can affect mood, sensitivity, and perception of the senses as well as bodily perceptions such as balance and pain. When terpenes are mixed as they are in natural plant oils, they each play a rolein affecting brain function. Some combinations may work synergystically and others antagonistically, but each "recipe" affects moods and feelings in its own way.

Over 100 terpenes have been identified in marijuana. Ther are actually many more when one considersmultiple variations of each terpene. For instance, the characteristic citrus odor found in fruit rinds differ by type and even variety of fruit- oranges and lemons have different odors, and their terpenes called -limonenes- are mirror versions of each other. Even different varieties of oranges differ in their distinct odor. This is due to slight differences in the amounts of or form of limonene, as well as other compounds that have citrus elements.

About 10-29 percent of marijuana smoke resin is composed of terpenes. Some terpenes present in marijuana appear only occasionaly in samples while others are found all the time. The percentage of terpenes and the ratios in which they are found vary by plant variety. You can experience this yourself as different varieties have different smells, indicating a different essential oil makeup.

Age, maturation and time of day of harvest can affect the amount and perhaps ratios of terpenes. As plants mature, their odor gets more intense and often changes as they ripen. Climate and weather also affect terpene and flavonoid production. The same variety(even genotype) produces different quantities and perhaps different oils when grown in different soils or with different fertilizers.

Terpenes are constantly being produced but they evaporate under pressure from sunlight and rising temperatures. Plants have more terpenes at the end of the dark period than after a full day of light.(just one of the reasons its better to harvest early morning after a full nights darkness) You can test this yourself. Check a plants odor early in the morning and at the end of a sunny day. You will find more pungency early in the morning.

Hops and both grouos of cannabis lowTHC hemp and marijuana, contain similar complements of terpenes. One researcher found that the oil of common black pepper(piper nigrum) has a similar group of terpenes as Cannabis. Terpenes are produced in the trichomes, the same glands where THC is produced. They comprise between 10 and 20 percent of the total oils produced by the glands.

The most abundant terpenes in marijuana are described below in general order of abundance. Individual samples may differ widely, both in total percentages of terpenes and in their ratios.

Myrcene is the most prevalent terpene found in most varieties of marijuana but not found in hemp. It is also present in high amounts in hops, lemon grass, East Indian bay tree, verbena and the plant from which it derives its name mercia. Myrcene appears in small amounts in the essential oils of many other plants.

Its odor is variously described as clove like, earthy, green-vegatative, citrus, fruity with tropical mango and minty nuances(In fact, myrcene is found in large qauntities in cavalo, rosa, espada, and paulista mangos). The various odors are the result of slight differences in the overall esential oil makeup. All of these flavors and odors are commonly used to describe Cannabis.

Myrcene is a potent analgesic, anti-inflammatory and antibiotic. It blocks the actions of cytochrome, aflatoxin B and other pro-mutagens that are implicated in carcinogenesis. It is present in small amounts in many essential oils associated with anti-depressive and uplifting behavior.

Myrcene is probably a synergist of THC: A combination of the two molecules creates a stronger experience than THC alone. Myrcene probably affects the permiability of the cell membranes, thus it may allow more THC to reach brain cells.

LIMONENE is found in the rinds of citrus and many other fruits and flowers. It is the second, third or fourth most prevalent terpene in cannabis resins. Everyone is familiar with the odor of citrus resins. They explode into the air when a fruit is peeled. The exact order is determined by the structure of the terpene.

Limonene has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti cancer activities. It inhibits the ras cancer gene cascade, which promotes tumor growth. It is used to synergistically promote the absorbtion of other terpenes by penetrating cell membranes. Limonene sprays are also used to treat depression.

Since Limonene is such a potent anti-fungal and anti-cancer agent, it is thought to protect against aspergillus fungi and carcinogens found in cannabis smoke streams
Plants use Limonene to repulse predators. For instance, flies have a group of receptors similar in function to the taste buds on our tongues. One of them detects noxious chemicals, and responds to Limonene as if it were toxic. This is hard wired into the flies brain.

In humans, Limonene's design facilitates a direct response by quickly permeating the blood-brain barrier. The result is increased systolic blood pressure. One test, reported subjective alertness and restlessness. Various Limonene analogs can cue the brain to sexuality, buoyancy, or focused attention.

Caryophylene is a major terpene found in black pepper(15-25%), clove(10-20%) and cotton(15-25%). It is found in smaller %'s in many other herbs, and spices. It has a sweet, woody and dry clove odor and tastes pepper spicy with camphor and astringent citrus backgrounds. It contributes to black pepper's spiciness. The oil is used industrially to enhance tobacco flavor.

Caryophylene, given in high amounts, is a calcium and potassium ion channel blocker. As a result, it impedes the pressure excerted by heart muscles. As a topical it is analgesic and is one of the active constituents that makes clove oil, a preferred treatment for toothache.
It does not seam to be involved in mood change.

Pinene is the familiar odor associated with pine trees and their resins. It is the major component in turpentine and is found in many other plant essential oils in noticeable amounts including rosemary, sage, and eucalyptus. Many additional plant oils contain pinene.

Pinene is used medically as an expectorant, and topical antiseptic. It easily crosses the blood-brain barrier where it acts as a acetylcholinesterase inhibitor; that is, it inhibits activity of a chemical that destroys an information transfer molecule. This results in better memory. Largely due to the presence of pinene, rosemary and sage are both considered "memory plants."
Concoctions made from their leaves have been used for thousands of years in traditional medicine to retain and restore memory.

Pinene probably gives true skunk varieties, the ones that stink like the animal, much of their odor. It is also a bronchodilator. The smoke seems to expand in your lungs and the high comes on very quickly since a high percentage of the substance will pass into the bloodstream and brain. It also increases focus, self satisfaction and energy, which seems counterintuitive, but for the presence of terpineol.

TERPINEOL has a lilac, citrus or apple blossom/lime odor. It is a minor constituent of many plant essential oils. It is used in perfumes and soaps for fragrance.

Terpineol is obtained commercially from processing other turpines. It reduces motillity- the capability for movement- by 45% in lab rat tests. This may account for the couchlock effects of some cannabis although that odor is not usually associated with body highs. However, Terpineol is often found in cannabis with high pinene levels. Its odor would be masked by the pungent woodsy aromas of pinene.

BORNEOL smells much like the menthol aroma of camphor and is easily converted into it. It is found in small quantities in many essential oils. Comercially it is derived from artemisia plants such as wormwood and some species of cinnamon.

It is considered a "calming sedative" in chinese medicine. It is directed for fatigue, recovery from illness and stress.

The camphor like overtones of Silver Haze varieties are unmistakable. The high does have a calming effect as well as its psychedelic aspects. This probably means there is a large amounts of borneol present.

DELTA 3-CARENE has a sweet pungent odor. It is a constituent of pine and cedar resin but is found in many other plants including rosemary. In aroma therapy, cypress oil, high in D-3-carene, is used to dry excess fluids, tears, running noses, excess menstrual flow and perspiration. It may contribute to the dry eye and mouth experienced by some marijuana users.

LINALOOL has a floral scent reminiscent of spring flowers such as lily of the valley, but with spicy overtones. It is refined from lavender, neroli, and other essential oils. Humans can detect its odor at rates as low as one part per million in the air.

Linalool is being tested now for treatment of several types of cancer. It is also a component of several sedating essential oils. In tests on humans who inhaled it, it caused severe sedation. In tests on lab rats it reduced there activity by almost 75%.

PULEGONE has a minty-camphor odor and flavor that is used in the candy industry. It is implicated in liver damage in very high dosages. It is found in tiny quantities in marijuana.

Pulegone is an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor. That is, it stops the action of the protein that destroys acetylcholine, which is used by the brain to store memories. It may counteract THC's activity, which leads to low acetylcholine levels. The result is you would forget more on THC alone than THC accompanied by pulegone.

1,8-CINEOLE is the main ingredient in oil of eucalyptus. It has camphor-minty odor. It is also found in other fragrant plants and in minor amounts in marijuana. It is used to increase circulation, pain relief and has other topical uses.

Cineole easily crosses the blood-brain-barrier and triggers a fast olfactory reaction. Eucalyptus oil is considered centering, balancing and stimulating. It is probably the stimulating and thought provoking part of the cannabis smoke stream.

Terpenes and their interactions with each other and resultant effect on brain activities is fascinating teritory, and another level of exploration and creativity for seed breeders. By learning the odors of the terpenes you may be able to predict the mind altering properties each lends to a bud.

V

v0ssman

fantastic thread, and really great last post. Im interested in finding specific strains with specific terpenes to help patients, mentally and physically. If theres anymore to read on more Terpenes by all means give us more :smiley_joint:

Most people dont associate terpenes to anything but cannabis, or just the opposite. Its cool to see everything producing its own type of terpene with its own effects.

Dalonewolf

Dalonewolf

TERPENES

Terpenes (isoprenoids) are small molecules that consist of repeating units of a compound called isoprene. Terpenes play many important roles in the plant kingdom from deterring insect predation, protection from environmental stresses and as chemical raw materials for more complex molecules, like cannabinoids. Many plant terpenes act synergistically with other terpenes and some serve to either catalyze or inhibit formation of other compounds within a plant. Understanding the role of certain terpenes will allow scientists to manipulate cannabinoids to desired ratios, for example.

isoprene

Isoprene is classified as an alkene. Alkenes are molecules with double bonds. Isoprene has 2.

Terpenes are made by many types of plants and are often the components of "essential oils". They are often times the building blocks to make more complex plant molecules, such as in certain hormones, vitamins (Vitamin A), pigments, sterols and cannabinoids. Others terpenes have antimicrobial properties, including some found in cannabis. Many of terpenes act as natural defense mechanisms against insects as resins are often sticky (i.e. amber, sap), while other terpenes such as limonene induce 'relaxation' and have their own unique pharmacology. Because of this diversity in the many functions of terpenes, whole cannabis (a.k.a. poly-pharmaceutical cannabis) has a higher therapeutic index than single-component THC (Marinol). This means, and medical marjuana patients affirm, that raw cannabis is superior in treating various ailments versus THC alone.

There are over 120 kinds of terpenes in cannabis, some only in trace amounts with others in double-digit percentage. Being able to measure these volatile compounds before and after a breeding experiment will offer the cannabis scientist endless opportunities for developing new flavors by basing breeding decisions on real analytical data.

More on Terpenes: Glossary and here.

CITRAL A & B Geranial/Neral/Lemonal. These are terpenoid compounds that contribute lemony scents to sinse. Check out wiki's definition w/ molecular structure.
CANNABIS TAXONOMY

The cannabis scientist should not only consider the genus Cannabis, but the entire botanical family Cannabaceae (aka Cannabidacea), which also contains the genus Humulus that includes the vine called hops. Understanding the terpene profile and biosynthesis in Humulus may provide cannabis breeders with insight regarding flavor/aroma profile manipulation.

Humulus (Hops, as in Hoppy India Pale Ale) is the only other genus besides Cannabis that is found in the family Cannabaceae; the two are genetically similar. Go to your local Homebrew Supplier and get an ounce of hops. A skunky variety such as Saaz will do. Compare the smell and physical similarities of the two Cannabaceae products. Smell familiar? Both have glandular trichomes that exude terpenoid-rich resin. Many of these resins not only add flavor to beer, but their orginal intent was to prevent spoilage via antimicrobial activity. Side-by-side the GC chromatograms from each plant would have many similarities (peaks).

Cannabis and Hops each contain some of the same essential oils. For example, each has significant amounts of oils called myrcene and caryophyllene which contribute to their characteristic smells. They are both aromatic terpenes that contribute to the spicy smell in both flowers. Limonene, also present in Cannabaceae, is an oil with citrusy notes, and it happens to also be found in citrus fruits. Perhaps there lies utility in this genetic similarity for developing new flavor/aroma lineage. Attempts to cross-breed and graft the two species have failed. But today, cannabis scientists can influence the biosynthesis of certain compounds with advanced genetic technology. Understanding how the Humulus vine is influenced may provide insight into the nature of cannabis, and vice versa.

B

Blowmonkey

Great thread. Haven't been online for a long time and this is the first time I've seen those Greenhouse results. Great to know that people are spending time on this..

I got into an argument with Sam on OG 5 years ago on this subject, first time I heard that claim being made and I asked for references to back it up. I believe he forwarded me one, searched for more but didn't really find much. Was convinced from there-on though, it's only logical if you think about it. The small variance in cannabinoid profiles amongst the multitude of strains doesn't really account for the differences in highs. Nonetheless, unlike B_H says, CBD, CBN, THCV, etc, they do affect the high, they're just not always around in big enough quantities to really play a significant role. Add the terpenoids and flavonoids (which are abundant & different in just about any pot you get) to the mix and you already have a far broader spectrum to work with.

ramble ramble, here's some ancient links I have on the subject, felt like adding them here:

http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v09n3/09320gie.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15234473?dopt=Abstract

7rayos

Please allow a silly question from a total ignorant on these subjects: As i read i come to the raw conclusion that terpenes' influence on strength could be manipulated by combining the right ones. Does it mean that, if say you've got two different types of average or low strength strains and you skin up a proletarian spliff with a mixture of both, potentially would be a good combo of terpenes and improve the thing? :icon_dizzy:

Dalonewolf

Dalonewolf

Advanced Nutrients has a very very long description on the ingredients that make sweet leaf work and the science behind it. It is a good read and what i do, is take each and every claim they make and look for the science behind the claim. I don't use sweet leaf and this is not an endorsement.

I would like to hear from any users of this product chime in with their observations.

P

pinkus

thanks

very interesting thread. thanks Bhempire...and probably others.....need my 10 posts to BUY :bong-hits:

H

HappyHybridS

thanks for the posts MizzElvis and dalonewolf :) really good read!

greetz

p.s. haven't managed to do the vapo-test by now, but will do it soon and then report...

Top Bottom