The Adventure Continues. 2016 Edition

• Thread starter MendoGiantZ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

I second the hortanova, works way better than fencing, is a lot easier to put up, and is cheaper. If you put it up and allow the plant to grow through it, it will save you even more time. I like to use grape stakes for the supports, and if I need to extend them up higher I use hose clamps to attach 1" metal EMT conduit.
Grape stakes?? Where can u buy them in bulk. Do u have a picture with the 1 inch hose clamp added for the extended height. (I'm a visual learner))

Blaze

Blaze

In the past Vineyard Industry Supply products in Windsor is the cheapest place to get them. You can get them in lengths from 4' to 8. The ones I use are basically just like a steel fence post, but without the fin at the bottom, so you can pull them out of the soil more easily at the end of the year. I've noticed what a lot of places call grape stakes are thin and hollow, so you might ask for fences posts without fins or something like that.

I don't have any close up pics specifically of the posts but you can see how the are set up here:

Gardne pics 063
Gardne pics 070
Stakes
MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

Nice. So I see how you wrap it around the outside. Then u do one across the center as well and just let the plants grow up through it. And if you need to add another layer then do the one inch hose clamp and the extended bamboo up?? It looks like you used thin pvc pipe.

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

Rented a uhaul today and we were able to fit 69 ten gallon pots in a 20 foot uhaul. :). We put in another 9 hour day and we are making some serious progress. We also harvested "the black" because of mold issues and I think it was over ripe. It's really hard to tell what strains are actually mature when your doing 15 new strains you have never grown before. We have a lot of work to do the next couple days and then I'm heading out for my bachelor party. I can't wait. It's a 4 day all inclusive rafting trip on the rogue river in southern Oregon with my 12 best friends. It's gonna be a blast. :).

Last edited:
Blaze

Blaze

Nice. So I see how you wrap it around the outside. Then u do one across the center as well and just let the plants grow up through it. And if you need to add another layer then do the one inch hose clamp and the extended bamboo up?? It looks like you used thin pvc pipe.

There are several layers across the center, usually one every 2-2.5 feet or so. The larger plants will end up with as many as 5-6 layers across the center. The first layer goes on as soon as the plants go in the ground then more layers keep getting added all season long as the plants grow. On the bigger plants I usually end up having to set a 2nd set of posts a few feet out from the edge of the bed and then do a 2nd wrap. When the grape stakes are no longer tall enough then I use the hose clamps to attach the 1" metal EMP conduit to extend them up as high as they need to be. I wouldn't recommend bamboo for larger plants it is too weak, I have had it break on me under the weight of the buds come fall.

juiceyjay

juiceyjay

Hey @MendoGiantZ how often do you need to water your plants and give them the veg nutes?

I realise there are many factors that change things. But I'm just curious, so I have somewhat of a reference to how often I should water/feed.

juiceyjay

juiceyjay

Also how many gallons of water do you give them each watering? I have 2 plants about the size of yours atm in the ground.

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

that's kind of a tricky question. :). So when you first transplant a plant into a bigger pot I always water it in really really good. So we put the 10 gallon grow bags into the 300 gallon smart pots the other day. We watered the 300 gallon grow bags for about ten minutes each (40 gallons or so). We spread the dirt around and made sure the whole thing was evenly watered in and totally flat. We used some mykos as well for the transplant. It's been kinda foggy and I have A feeling it's gonna take about 10 days for the smart pot to need water again. After the initial heavy watering I will use my own judgement depending on how the pot looks and how hot it is outside. For your situation when you are planting in the ground it's good to give your plant plenty of time between watering to make sure not to over water it. Then after about a month or so the plant will start boosting and it will need water every other day or even everyday depending on how how it is to live. Then as it get mature it will use a lot less water at the very end.

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

If you dig down about 6 inches or so that will give you a decent indication of what's going on below the surface. They also have water meters but after a little bit you can just use your own judgement. As far as the veg goes I give them cal mag, liquid fish and some seaweed about every ten days when they are begging in the small pots. Once they are in the big 300 gallon pots they are good for a week or two. Once I see some good new growth I will use more veg.

juiceyjay

juiceyjay

Thanks for the info. I've been doing pretty much all that and using my judgement. Just figured I'd ask to see what you do as well. Your grow speaks for itself

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

It can be tricky when you put smaller plants into massive pots.. A lot of times it seems dry on the top and maybe around the edges but down in the center can still be really wet.. Its easy to overwater when they are young.. During flowering the plants like to get a chance to kinda dry out (don't let them wilt) but overwatering can decrease yields...

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Is that a dehuey there in your drying room? I've used one but always end up crispifying everything far too quickly. Even when set at 65% and its fan on low. May I ask how you make it work for you?

Top Bottom