the beach house

• Thread starter Beachwalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Too many bottles of nutes is not new. What did you use 25 years ago?

Im guessing the colorado nute conpany that tested flushing wont tell us the truth about bloom nutes.
Going back more than 25 years mid-80s through mid 90s. First thing was Miracle Grow and then Peters and then there was a 2 part called ecogro and ecobloom which was terrible stuff, and then it was Alaskan fish which I liked and at some point I went back to Peters tomato formula

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

First thing was Miracle Grow and then Peters and then there was a 2 part called ecogro and ecobloom which was terrible stuff, and then it was Alaskan fish which I liked and at some point I went back to Peters tomato formula

Thats about what i expected. The guys in the 80’s and 90’s i knew used peters.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I really like the cloth pots, my biggest issue is not letting them get too dry.
That's my biggest issue with them took me forever to dry out the saucers and I have a bad back and I can't be schlepping this shit more than I need to, a rag & a couple changes of saucers with the hard pots and they're dry already

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Going back more than 25 years mid-80s through mid 90s. First thing was Miracle Grow and then Peters and then there was a 2 part called ecogro and ecobloom which was terrible stuff, and then it was Alaskan fish which I liked and at some point I went back to Peters tomato formula
Bales of peat mixes have been around for ever, at least back between the70 - 80's. ProMix just became the go to brand for pot growers. I started seeing ProMix around 2000 if grey matter is right.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Bales of peat mixes have been around for ever, at least back between the70 - 80's. ProMix just became the go to brand for pot growers. I started seeing ProMix around 2000 if grey matter is right.
That's another thing, I'm not in love with the promix either, I'm going back to either ffof or a 50/50 foxfarm and Pro mix blend, with the appropriate perlite added of course

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That's another thing, I'm not in love with the promix either, I'm going back to either ffof or a 50/50 foxfarm and Pro mix blend, with the appropriate perlite added of course

Yeah the retail store promix is not the same quality or formulation as the professional bales.

They even use 2 kinds of lime. Dolomite for short term buffering and mag and calcitic for long term buffering.

But only dolomite in the home depot stuff.

They say the grade of peat is better in the big pro bales too.

But a lot of growers like happy frog and that is fox farms budget mix. I compared it to ocean forest direct and 50/50 and of alone was better every time.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Yeah the retail store promix is not the same quality or formulation as the professional bales.

They even use 2 kinds of lime. Dolomite for short term buffering and mag and calcitic for long term buffering.

But only dolomite in the home depot stuff.

They say the grade of peat is better in the big pro bales too.

But a lot of growers like happy frog and that is fox farms budget mix. I compared it to ocean forest direct and 50/50 and of alone was better every time.
I like the ffof and I like those nice fresh bags that new grow store has for $18.50 too!

I'm not sure what to do with the Pro mix, do I run a wet/dry cycle or do I keep it moist..? (I still don't know?) I'm going back to the fox farm or a 50/50 mix, I had good luck with the 50/50 mix, I treat it like soil

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

It's all we had, & I would say it's still arguably the best, although I use Master Blend its not a big difference, liked the five pound MB option better than the 25 lb of Peters, but I've got some Peters out there now too
Talk about making a point LOL just came across this, he's a brand-new grower & these are the newts he has..! 🤦‍♂
20200213 162645

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Talk about making a point LOL just came across this, he's a brand-new grower & these are the newts he has..! 🤦‍♂️
View attachment 940744
When a newbie walks in with bright eyes and says to the grow store workers What do I need to grow pot? Wellllll says the worker I have just what you need (lol) with a deal on it today just for you everything you need.😀

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I like the ffof and I like those nice fresh bags that new grow store has for $18.50 too!

I'm not sure what to do with the Pro mix, do I run a wet/dry cycle or do I keep it moist..? (I still don't know?) I'm going back to the fox farm or a 50/50 mix, I had good luck with the 50/50 mix, I treat it like soil

Pro mix recommends wet dry cycle. They mention some growers just wait until the surface color goes light.

I had good results with pro mix hp 25-35% perlite included with 2-3 days between watering ar peak flower.

Jamie73

Jamie73

Funny thing is. I use to buy this for my outdoor planters. At 9 bucks a bag. Now lots of people use it for indoor grows it's gone way up. I only bought it for the price. Never liked it. Never tried on my plants always used coast of Maine with my added perlite. My 2 cents. This grow I'm going with Coco. Never used it in a grow. Only for my kids iguana tank.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Funny thing is. I use to buy this for my outdoor planters. At 9 bucks a bag. Now lots of people use it for indoor grows it's gone way up. I only bought it for the price. Never liked it. Never tried on my plants always used coast of Maine with my added perlite. My 2 cents. This grow I'm going with Coco. Never used it in a grow. Only for my kids iguana tank.

Only coco here is a wisk broom. I never swept up and thought maybe i should try growing plants in this. ;-)

Jamie73

Jamie73

Talk about making a point LOL just came across this, he's a brand-new grower & these are the newts he has..! 🤦‍♂️
View attachment 940744
When I started. I said less is more. Watch your plant and it tells you what it needs. Soil grows. Then one day I was mixing four part nutrients to a gallon of water. At the end it wasn't close to past grows using organic fish fertilizer and for flower epsonna bloom. Trying a new 2 part veg and a bloom. Super crop for veg and matching flowering. Can't think of it off top of my head right now.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Thats about what i expected. The guys in the 80’s and 90’s i knew used peters.
I started growing in a flower bed in the late 70's and then went inside with basic potting mix with a handfull of dirt in 5 gal nursery pots and still grew some tasty bud, way better than the smoke that came with the baggie of seeds I bought.

For me that coco that I pay $1.99 for 8 quart bags, 12.5lbs of MasterBlend $35, 10 1 gal fiber pots $12 and
20200213 161642

In the cold, 2 month veg and all I'm really doing is mixing nutes and watering them 2-3 x's a day.
CM200212 161439009

I'm really curious how these would do in 5 gal cloth pots in coco, vegged for 4-5 months in the so cal sun? If all goes well I plan on finding out. Trees? I would think. Maybe a few GDP's and a few GK Genetics as well. This may be my last year here so I gotta take full advantage.😉

Moshmen

Moshmen

Is that u mention it I used peters outdoors as well , the memory isn’t what it should be! Lol

Jamie73

Jamie73

I started growing in a flower bed in the late 70's and then went inside with basic potting mix with a handfull of dirt in 5 gal nursery pots and still grew some tasty bud, way better than the smoke that came with the baggie of seeds I bought.

For me that coco that I pay $1.99 for 8 quart bags, 12.5lbs of MasterBlend $35, 10 1 gal fiber pots $12 and
View attachment 940777
In the cold, 2 month veg and all I'm really doing is mixing nutes and watering them 2-3 x's a day.
View attachment 940780
I'm really curious how these would do in 5 gal cloth pots in coco, vegged for 4-5 months in the so cal sun? If all goes well I plan on finding out. Trees? I would think. Maybe a few GDP's and a few GK Genetics as well. This may be my last year here so I gotta take full advantage.😉
Wish I had something like yours. Weather on the other coast especially in north east. We would have to heat it and put tons of lights up.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

View attachment 940777
View attachment 940780

I am aware how much you like coco. I was just jesting. :-)

But watering 3x per day. Screw that. Im getting 2 oz per gallon of potting soil now with water/feed a week apart in veg and 3 days in peak flower on average.

Latest posts

Top Bottom