The Car & Bike Lover's Thread

• Thread starter Junk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tobh

tobh

Supporter
Eww, the 4.0L Jeep motors are trash. (sorry to offend any purists, they are absolute shit.) Terrible gas mileage, no torque and shitty power production.

Reading about that STI is sounding a lot like my Datsun @Junk. I'm not making nearly that kind of power and it's only an OEM clutch but with the suspension work I have done to it anyone that rides in it thinks that I fucked it up. I disagree, taking corners at 100+ MPH is an awesome feeling. You move in the seat, but the car stays put. 140+ is a dream, car sucks down and holds the pavement like she was meant to move that fast all the time. Speaking of not making decent power, I need to go do some work on her.

@DemonTrich those are some serious cars you have the pleasure of being around! Would love to have consistent access to physically hear and touch those super cars. Never would own one personally, too much damn maintenance. Read one time that a Ferrari will spend more time in the shop than on the road because every time you take it out for a cruise it has to go back in and have the valves adjusted and get a full tune up. Ridiculous. Doesn't change the fact they're gorgeous automobiles and do have a place in our world of speed.

doublejj

doublejj

Shelby 427 Cobra CSX4795
My last hotrod...
FolsomCobraOct06 015

Colfax08 18 07 008

Fast Standing Still

Whining020

FolsomCobraOct06 069

P.S. No radio, no AC, no power steering, no cup holders. No TOP...she did have 5point racing harness & fire suppression system....

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Heres a pic of Momma Blue. Still own her and she hasnt lost her intrigue especially at WOT....... Not sure who the midget is in the drivers seat. LOL My girl just whacked me hard with that comment. :p

Shelby

Now this is the car I really want but I think its a bit out of my budget range. :rolleyes: But a man can dream right??

Ford Detroit 2015 NAS 0921

Ford GT Motion 101 876x535

Heres a link to the specs http://www.caranddriver.com/ford/gt

tobh

tobh

Supporter
@doublejj was that Shelby a kit car or original built by the man himself? Maybe not the man himself, but an original body/chassis?

doublejj

doublejj

@doublejj was that Shelby a kit car or original built by the man himself? Maybe not the man himself, but an original body/chassis?
Genuine Shelby CSX4795. Made by Shelby himself. Aluminum body by AC. "Continuation" brand new Cobra, built in 2005 in Las Vegas...

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Random question that may derail this thread for a bit, but thought I'd ask some fellow gear heads what their take on my current predicament is.

Car is a 1982 Datsun 280zx Naturally Aspirated 2.8L L28E. Inline six, Bosch L-Jetronic EFI. Aftermarket fuel rail, adjustable fpr, 195 gph fuel pump. Car will rev just fine up to 7k+ without load, so in neutral. Under load the car pulls to 5k then like hits a block, won't pull any further without starting to sound like it's struggling and all torque goes away. Happens in all gears.

When I bought the car in Oregon I had to be careful about going WOT without paying attention because this motor will rap itself up so high it throws it's valve train all out of whack (I did it on accident, knocks the rocker adjustments loose and have to readjust all the valves). When moving back to the southwest, around SLC it started dying on me as we were going along, hit Dove Creek, CO and swapped out spark plugs thinking that was the issue, thought maybe they had fouled out. Ran a hair better but not much. Point still remains, the car is not the same car it was in Oregon. I was thinking maybe altitude has something to do with it? This car spent the first 30 years of it's life around sea level, maybe 1000ft above at some points. Here the lowest I go is around 5000ft above sea level.

Checked the plugs, they look alright, maybe a little lean on a couple cylinders and rich on a couple others. I also have an Air-Fuel Ratio gauge that at idle indicates a range of 13.8 to 14.9 AFR. At WOT, the gauge will dump straight to 10.0 and even starts flashing as it won't read any more of a rich condition than that or the controller can't process it at least. It's a wide band o2 running the data to the controller then out to the ECM and and the gauge.

What would you all think about this? I know I'm leaving out a bunch more details and not having much info on that specific model (not expecting anyone to be as in love with these cars a I am), figure some of you old schooler's may have experience with vane-type AFM's and archaic fuel injection. No I will not swap to carbs lol love me fuel injection way too much. I'm just running out of ideas here. All sensors test out ok, haven't done any thorough tests on the AFM yet though. Thoughts on such a predicament? Where would you all start diagnosing once you've ran through the basics? Compression Ok, Fuel pressure OK, no known vacuum leaks, timing OK...

Saerimmner

Saerimmner

My mechanical skills are only limited but.....

Has it got big enough injectors in it so you are not underfuelling at a certain point onwards etc? Also have they all been tested an working correctly/same pressures etc

Would a different map help or been tried?

Spark breaking down under load?

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Injectors are stock, they ohm out properly so the windings are in operational shape. Considered the underfueling concept but my AFR gauge would indicate a lean condition, not super rich.

Can't do a different fuel map yet, it's a 33 year old ECU with no ability to reprogram it. Will move to a standalone fuel and spark management system when funds can accommodate it.

Spark breaking down under load, potentially. Considered this as the coil may be dying but I'm not familiar with a way of verifying the coil's health while driving the car.

Latest posts

Top Bottom