the coffee shop

• Thread starter boo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cort

Cort

Something like that? Bobcat. Have read of them being raised from kittens and turned into housepets. Good luck.
Bobcat

Kitsune Nyx

Kitsune Nyx

That's a no go around here.
Plus I've seen people killed for a lot less. A war round here could actually turn into a real war Lol
Not to say there isn't any asshole neighbors but they do know their place for the most part

That's no joke.
The last time I really got vengeful, someone ended up with all their car seals & window panes covered in Fox urine... mid summer.
*twirl*

Kitsune Nyx

Kitsune Nyx

Thinking of a few rabbit cages before a pig. The manure from rabbits is some of the best stuff for the garden! I like a good rabbit stew once in a while also! I`d like to learn to cure the fur from them and make buttoned on outer fur covers for down throws and bed covers with the furs.

Rabbits are wonderfully easy to raise! Get a nice BIG set up & a nice pair of Jersey Giants... & you'll never go hungry again.

And it does sound like Cort is spot on...
Bobcat Alert! Don't let them get used to crossing your space. Grampa used to soak rat traps in blood & lay them around the outer land around the garden. If one got too close, it was a nice way of warning them. Second warnings came with a bit of... calibration.

Cort

Cort

As a kid, we used to eat rabbit on Easter. Taught us the value of not trespassing anyways. Twisted family.

Dont know how some of yall do it. I feel overwhelmed with the project list I have + work + keeping a stable enough relationship to get laid. Add to that livestock care Id go nuts!

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
The smaller cats around here are smaller than a house cat a little and have big bushy ringed tails. Not sure they are even a cat!

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I get you! When the wife was still around I spent 18+ hours a day in bed on my days off but only got three hours of sleep! Well until the kids started popping out anyway!

Kitsune Nyx

Kitsune Nyx

Yep that`s the bob cat we have around here!

I was thinking Plymouth Rock for the chicken breed for my flock. Not sure how many to start out with.

Great breed!
They make decent meat & lay very consistently. They forage a bit heavy, so give them lots of roaming room.
Typically, if you plan to have them breed, you'll want no less than 5-8 hens per roo. More hens is always better.
So, let's say there are 4 of you at the homestead...
1 roo & 5 hens is a small but easy flock. If you don't want to breed them, leave out the roo.

Oh & this is helpful, too...
Google a feed calculator. It will help you to learn how much food you're going to expect to go through for your flock.

Kitsune Nyx

Kitsune Nyx

Cort, I am very fortunate. My mate retired me at 42.
(sounds like he put me out to pasture. *LOL*)
Now I have time to grow & focus on the things that I feel improve our life...
Snowboarding vacations, non gmo organic garden foods, happy plants, eggs with yolks so orange it gives ya goosebumps, happy pets, happy me... ect.

I live an old fashioned life. When I see people in traffic, I feel sad for them. I don't even drive & my happy ratings are off the charts(when the neighbour doesn't butt in).
*life is good*

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Considering how someone is ALWAYS getting schtooped in the bushes, I say give the roo 8 girls to schtoop or he'll be too rough on the birds he has access to.
How do those ameracaunas eat sea?You can probably stew anything but i know Cman says certain breeds are better eaters,layers etc.Freakin awesome looking bird though,my wife has a platter passed down to her that has a bird on it that looks just like it in her china cabinet.
Pute,This weather has me wanting to fish!70's and perfect here.
I don't know yet, but my hope is that they taste like chicken and aren't too terribly tough. They're a smaller bird than the Wyandottes, but they tolerate the weather *very* well. No wattles, short fat combs, seems like they're better for colder areas rather than warm to me, but they did just fine during the heat of the summer as long as they were able to go where they liked.

I do believe, though, that this will be @pinegrovedave's first experience slaughtering animals.
Seamaiden and I have been discussing getting a pig. Maybe for next season.
Mangalitza breed is what's caught my eye, or the Kunekune (sp? lemme double check those breeds).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangalitsa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunekune

Both are hairy breeds. That's pretty wild.

@markscastle, what altitude? I don't think you're much higher than we are, and all my breeds are doing just fine. We've got Rhode Island Reds (friendliest, and best egg layers, started first and are ALWAYS daily layers, good big eggs, too), Silver-laced Wyandottes (the STUPIDEST birds I've ever dealt with), and then the Ameracaunas, of which the rooster is a purebred bird who's already sired good chicks. If you build a predator-proof coop & run, and get a good roo to oversee the girls, you could let them free range during the day and coop at night. The eggs are smaller and it does take them some time to be diligent about laying in the nests where you can find them, but just like chickenman told me, they figure it out once they're a bit older. In fact, EVERYTHING chickenman has told me to do is completely spot on.

Kitsune Nyx

Kitsune Nyx

I love an Ameracauna (Easter eggers, too)...
they're like the handiest of farm birds & EVERY feed n seed shop seems to sell them every year. The first blue or green egg always gets a smile.
Rose combs are my heartthrob birds & yes, they're evolved to tolerate cold well... not to mention they're just so darned cute. LOL!
*girlie moment*

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Considering how someone is ALWAYS getting schtooped in the bushes, I say give the roo 8 girls to schtoop or he'll be too rough on the birds he has access to.

I don't know yet, but my hope is that they taste like chicken and aren't too terribly tough. They're a smaller bird than the Wyandottes, but they tolerate the weather *very* well. No wattles, short fat combs, seems like they're better for colder areas rather than warm to me, but they did just fine during the heat of the summer as long as they were able to go where they liked.

I do believe, though, that this will be @pinegrovedave's first experience slaughtering animals.

Mangalitza breed is what's caught my eye, or the Kunekune (sp? lemme double check those breeds).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangalitsa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunekune

Both are hairy breeds. That's pretty wild.

@markscastle, what altitude? I don't think you're much higher than we are, and all my breeds are doing just fine. We've got Rhode Island Reds (friendliest, and best egg layers, started first and are ALWAYS daily layers, good big eggs, too), Silver-laced Wyandottes (the STUPIDEST birds I've ever dealt with), and then the Ameracaunas, of which the rooster is a purebred bird who's already sired good chicks. If you build a predator-proof coop & run, and get a good roo to oversee the girls, you could let them free range during the day and coop at night. The eggs are smaller and it does take them some time to be diligent about laying in the nests where you can find them, but just like chickenman told me, they figure it out once they're a bit older. In fact, EVERYTHING chickenman has told me to do is completely spot on.

When you add light chickens will produce eggs due to a optical nerve that stimulates ovulation . The longer the daylight up to 15 hours is about right for maximum ovualtions.
A hen will produce a certain amount of eggs during it's lifetime. get them sooner by adding light or string them out over time..
Don't get me started bout chickens..
Farming and fishing....Addicted....

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Seamaiden I think I`m a little above 4000 ft. But I often get snow when it`s set to drop as low as 5000 ft.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Dont know how some of yall do it. I feel overwhelmed with the project list I have + work + keeping a stable enough relationship to get laid. Add to that livestock care Id go nuts!
Im overwhelmed all the time! :dead:
We just moved our goats to a bigger area . they have about 1 acre to run and eat now..
Pippin(the dog) is much happyer too.
Goatsjumping
Goatsrunning
Mebuddyandpippin
Newarea

Top Bottom