the coffee shop

• Thread starter boo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
I worked with black folks a lot. One fella once told me he don't eat no possum.. Possum hang round in da graveyard.
Now a coon I eat a coon sho nuff do..
Got a long great. They told me you may be white boy but you got some coon in you somewhere...

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
It sure is a nice Spring but we could use more rain here in Norcal. And I`m afraid come summer we will be paying dearly for all the early sunny worm weather were getting now! Started some seeds last night for the outdoor grow of 2014. They should be ready to sex around mid June and of a good enough size. If I get some good females I`ll make them mom`s for cloning. the rest of the females will be planted in the garden. Got so much work to get done for planting this year!

Kitsune Nyx

Kitsune Nyx

Morning All!
I hope your day is getting off right.
:D

I worked with black folks a lot. One fella once told me he don't eat no possum.. Possum hang round in da graveyard.
Now a coon I eat a coon sho nuff do..
Got a long great. They told me you may be white boy but you got some coon in you somewhere...

Now, that sounds a lot like my people I left behind in Louisiana. LOL!

She was a nasty old creature. Coat was oily from hiding in urban places & by the time I brought her out of that tree... well, let's just say, she was a tough nag. It took a good 20 shots to get her to come down. (I shoot the used 3/4" ceramic filtration pellets from our 230 gal fish tank) She was a mess & I left her next to the compost pile(it was *ouch-am). When I went to dispose of her(after I got a bit of sleep-lol), I noticed how full she was. Babies. All dead.
*sigh*
At least she never got into my coop. THAT would have been a very different story...

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
We got koons and possums up here in michigan that love to eat off the grape vines and such.. and theres one who ALWAYS leaves a shit on my back poorch.. I dunno what the hell this coons deal is but every week theres a pile of coon shit on my porch...

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Morning All!
I hope your day is getting off right.
:D

Now, that sounds a lot like my people I left behind in Louisiana. LOL!

She was a nasty old creature. Coat was oily from hiding in urban places & by the time I brought her out of that tree... well, let's just say, she was a tough nag. It took a good 20 shots to get her to come down. (I shoot the used 3/4" ceramic filtration pellets from our 230 gal fish tank) She was a mess & I left her next to the compost pile(it was *ouch-am). When I went to dispose of her(after I got a bit of sleep-lol), I noticed how full she was. Babies. All dead.
*sigh*
At least she never got into my coop. THAT would have been a very different story...
How many birds you got?

Kitsune Nyx

Kitsune Nyx

How many birds you got?

I only have 4(they're illegal here, so they're my secret flock)...
a red shoulder Yokohama()
2 quail D'Anvers(retired breeders)
a frosted Serama(dirty white-lol)
...and I was just informed yesterday, that there will be another retired breeder, a Blue bantam project Faverolle joining me this fall.
*She's so purty.*

I'd like to see the day when I have more than a 50' X 100' space to work with. I have had my eye on some Flower hens & I'm determined to have them.

Kitsune Nyx

Kitsune Nyx

*man after my own heart*

I heard that!
The amount of good these girls do for my garden alone... well, it pays for it'self.
Miss Velvet(my Yoko) has laid at least one egg a day since she started laying, skipped a day maybe twice, laid two eggs a couple times... no joke. She's just under 2 & I could have a flock of these all by themselves!
And have you ever seen such sexy roos?

f046494b_44102_chicken_chat_006.jpeg

Kitsune Nyx

Kitsune Nyx

I've a small flock of 9 layers...some days theres a mountain or eggs, other a dozen...don't know how I'd do without my creatures...pigs is on the slate for this summer...just to piss off a n asshole neighbor...

I am, unfortunately, allergic to pork... but I would LOVE to get my hands on a pair of heritage hogs to work feral garden space! Good grief, you will NEVER have a weed! Amazing lil farmers they are.

B

boo

I'm sure I'll get into the swine but this is an act of vengeance...I've an axe to grind with a very selfish neighbor...my only one actually...he's put up enough lights in his yard that you could grow weed at night...fugger installed 12 1000K HPS on 35' tall poles out back...he's never home but the lights burn on forever...

Kitsune Nyx

Kitsune Nyx

What's he doing? Building a baseball field?
*jerk much?*

I have a neighbour like that.
I like to pop fat salt chunks over the fence just to spite him. HE'S the reason I'm having squirrel & rat issues. He thinks they're his pets & leave huge piles of crap for then to eat... then stuff my attic with later.
*grrr...

#1. Rule of good neighbour relations: Be a good neighour.

#2. Rule of good neighbour relations:
If your neighbour isn't a good neighbour, be smarter than they are.

Kitsune Nyx

Kitsune Nyx

Personally, I have an ugly ugly PMSing, red head's temper when someone messes with a loved one(home, family, pats, friends... God help 'em). Sadly, I tend to come up with torturous ways to return the favor, too.
This is why I spent a great deal of my youth learning to calm my inner heat...
only to live next to an ass who likes to lob dead animals over the fence into my yard.
*really?*

burn4me

burn4me

Personally, I have an ugly ugly PMSing, red head's temper when someone messes with a loved one(home, family, pats, friends... God help 'em). Sadly, I tend to come up with torturous ways to return the favor, too.
This is why I spent a great deal of my youth learning to calm my inner heat...
only to live next to an ass who likes to lob dead animals over the fence into my yard.
*really?*
That's a no go around here.
Plus I've seen people killed for a lot less. A war round here could actually turn into a real war Lol
Not to say there isn't any asshole neighbors but they do know their place for the most part

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I`m so glade my neighbors are not close to me and the ones nearest are cool! I`m looking into having some chickens on my farm at some point .What is the best and hardiest breed for high altitudes? How many should I have in the flock ? I use only maybe 2-3 eggs a day at most but could give the rest to my kids. I`m looking for eggs, meat and chicken manure for the garden. Thinking extra waste from the garden could help feed them in summer. If they can keep some of the bugs down of the farm that would be a plus.

I`m sure they could survive with a good coop as I have wild turkey on the property as well as duck ,goose ,quail ,etc. Lots of birds of pray around however! Also Red Fox, Possum, wolverine, skunk, Raccoon, porcupine, bob cat, mountain Lyon, Brown and black bear, and lots of dear of course ! I`m surrounded by national forest. I`m thinking a few genie hens would keep the rattle snakes down on the property. A good fence with a solar charged electric wire or two should keep the bear out and if the bottom wire is 1 inch square wire it should keep most of the rest of the animals safe(along with the help of my dog).

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Oh spotted a strange animal also! looks like a small house cat with big ears ,kind of tan and has a bushy ringed tail like a coon. They make the biggest racket off in the bushes! Not sure what they are but they like to get into peoples trash and set the dogs off all the time.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I`d love to have a pig at some point but I`d need a smoke house, think bacon and ham!

Kitsune Nyx

Kitsune Nyx

Markscastle, here's a good article to start you off (before you go investing time & $$...):

http://www.worldpoultry.net/Broilers/Housing/2012/5/Rearing-chickens-at-high-altitudes-WP010363W/

Just like growing nice greenies, always do the homework first. I can't tell you how many times I get calls about abandoned birds, sick flocks, or just health issues. High altitudes can cause issues for flocks, but it's not impossible to do.
If you want to have a flock for eggs (personally, I find it's easier not to mix eggers & meat birds, as each has different diet needs) try a small number of birds to get used to it. I only keep 4 bantam sized birds(they're the smaller sized). Their breeds will also dictate how much they eat, and how heavy they forage. Now, as you say, you live in a predator tough area. A bigger breed might be safer, but you will still need to build them a birdie Fort Nox.

Have a read & see if the idea sounds do-able...
and I'm sure a few of us can walk you through the next steps.
;)

(Chickenman, chime in... please!)

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Thinking of a few rabbit cages before a pig. The manure from rabbits is some of the best stuff for the garden! I like a good rabbit stew once in a while also! I`d like to learn to cure the fur from them and make buttoned on outer fur covers for down throws and bed covers with the furs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom