The Crystal Palace is back, now with a Spiderfarmer SE5000.

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moshmen

Moshmen

I’ve looked before I ask - there’s just so much info in ur threads bro! Lol great info
You and aqua should write a book !

my question is seeds in the rock wool ? How ya starting them? I’ve had a couple failures! But I’m that soil guy that soaks and drops right into dirt! Lol , can’t do that with wool can ya? And if ya can would ya charge the blocks? I mean that seedling shouldn’t need anything fir a week or so

I’m practicing right now with some f1’s - I figure I got a learning curve for sure and I’m a little slow, or garden challenged .

Casimpi

Casimpi

I’ve looked before I ask - there’s just so much info in ur threads bro! Lol great info

my question is seeds in the rock wool ? How ya starting them? I’ve had a couple failures! But I’m that soil guy that soaks and drops right into dirt! Lol , can’t do that with wool can ya? And if ya can would ya charge the blocks? I mean that seedling shouldn’t need anything fir a week or so

I’m practicing right now with some f1’s - I figure I got a learning curve for sure and I’m a little slow, or garden challenged .
I will let dirt answer as he knows more. I will just say this, my current round I popped 6 seeds 3 in rockwool and 3 in those root riots and was 6/6. I simply let the beans soak in RO water for 48 hours to pop tap roots and then transplanted into the aforementioned prepped mediums. I covered up the seeds a little and within 3-4 days all 6 had made it above ground.

Moshmen

Moshmen

I will let dirt answer as he knows more. I will just say this, my current round I popped 6 seeds 3 in rockwool and 3 in those root riots and was 6/6. I simply let the beans soak in RO water for 48 hours to pop tap roots and then transplanted into the aforementioned prepped mediums. I covered up the seeds a little and within 3-4 days all 6 had made it above ground.
You just stick the seed in the root riot? Just damp, not wet riots? What exactly is “prepped”

BudGoodman

BudGoodman

Supporter
I've had good luck just putting seeds in the rooters, covering, and sticking them in a warm spot... No pre soak.
When they pop(ped), I put them into soil... Taproot is/was usually sticking out the bottom. Leave a little room to add more soil to the cup/pot incase they get leggy.
Ez Pz 🍋 Sqeezee

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

I almost never start from seed honestly. And when I do I ALWAYS use rapid rooters. I don't sprout them first either, I just soak the seeds for about 12-16hrs in water then stick them in the rooter about 1/4" deep. But as BudGoodman mentioned with rooters you don't even need to presoak the seeds. I just do it out of habit.

If you're having trouble getting the seeds to root out fully, it could be your starters are too wet. Which is common with rockwool. Next time before planting the seed, give the wool starters a bit of a shake or place them on paper towels to remove some excess water.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Ok, quick update.. these things are shamelessly skarfin' back the nutrients. Going in at 1.5ec 4x per day. Runoff is coming out at 0.7-0.8ec and the blocks syringe test around 1.0-1.3. Those hungry little piggies.

This is so new to me, I love it. When I grew weed on a much bigger scale back in the day I wasnt nearly this refined in my approach. I grew in promix only, and just fed based on what we knew to work. It wasn't until I built my shed that I really started experimenting with more new things, like rockwool for example. Being at this point where I have a monocrop of a AAAA strain and a way to somewhat accurately measure light intensity, accurately measure what's going on in the rootzone, and properly balancing everything within the plants environment to optimize growth based on the latest crop science.. this to me is incredibly satisfying to witness. Because I'm seeing these plants perform at a level I have personally never experienced. Switching to rockwool was an absolute game changer, and further to that, adding these extra LED lights has changed the game yet again. I am full of nervous anticipation for this flower cycle. I think it has the potential to be an absolute showstopper if things continue down the path its on.
🤞

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
20211127 181244

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
To my old eyes, the 2 rows on the left for the win.
So far, the plants under the MH are a slight bit bigger indeed. Which is odd to me since the LED appears visually brighter to my eye, and they're eating a little more food too. But no doubt, so far the HID has a slight edge in growth rate. But not by a lot.
Im also burning 2kw over those 2 left benches whereas the LED at 65% are only putting out about 700w total, so with a difference of nearly 1300w I'm not all that surprised the plants under HID are bigger. But I AM surprised that there isn't an even bigger size difference to be honest.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
Ok, quick update.. these things are shamelessly skarfin' back the nutrients. Going in at 1.5ec 4x per day. Runoff is coming out at 0.7-0.8ec and the blocks syringe test around 1.0-1.3. Those hungry little piggies.

This is so new to me, I love it. When I grew weed on a much bigger scale back in the day I wasnt nearly this refined in my approach. I grew in promix only, and just fed based on what we knew to work. It wasn't until I built my shed that I really started experimenting with more new things, like rockwool for example. Being at this point where I have a monocrop of a AAAA strain and a way to somewhat accurately measure light intensity, accurately measure what's going on in the rootzone, and properly balancing everything within the plants environment to optimize growth based on the latest crop science.. this to me is incredibly satisfying to witness. Because I'm seeing these plants perform at a level I have personally never experienced. Switching to rockwool was an absolute game changer, and further to that, adding these extra LED lights has changed the game yet again. I am full of nervous anticipation for this flower cycle. I think it has the potential to be an absolute showstopper if things continue down the path its on.
🤞
just wondering why check runoff since you have a block syringe that can show you how many ec is available to the roots.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
just wondering why check runoff since you have a block syringe that can show you how many ec is available to the roots.
I only very occasionally check the blocks with the syringe. Normally once every other week or so, or when I'm going to adjust the feed rate or ratio I'll do the syringe test. Also a week or so after transition.
My usual method of testing is with runoff, and I check that every day.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
I only very occasionally check the blocks with the syringe. Normally once every other week or so, or when I'm going to adjust the feed rate or ratio I'll do the syringe test. Also a week or so after transition.
My usual method of testing is with runoff, and I check that every day.
so you just fill the syringe with the liquid that's held to the rockwool and then test it?

Top Bottom