The Crystal Palace is back, now with a Spiderfarmer SE5000.

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Okay gang, this will be the new diary.
It's been a good 6 months since I've done a proper grow in the shed and it's time to get next year's personal stash going.

Ill start this off by going over some of the recent upgrades to the growroom, aka the Crystal palace. The shed has been freshly modified with the addition of 2 of Spiderfarmer grow lights, the SF4000 and the SE5000.
It has always been somewhat underlit in here at 31w/sqft with just 2 HID. Now we have 34w/sqft under the LED drawing about 480w each, and 41w/sqft under the HID running at 750w each. That is a significant improvement.

Very excited to see how these all play together. A bit nervous about heat, but thankfully my ventilation system is pretty potent.
20211106_224823.jpg

20211106_210520.jpg
20211106_210849.jpg

All 4 lights are hung independently and can be adjusted for height from the door to the room. I suspect I'll have to play around with this a bit.
20211106_200109.jpg

One very nice feature of the SE5000 is the removable driver/dimmer. Allows me to mount it near the room entrance. Which is the reason I had to mount the SF4000 up front, so that I could reach it's dimmer once the room is full of plants. This would be an excellent choice for tent growing where heat could be kept way down, especially with the efficiently vented bar lights. But also handy for me to be able to operate when the room is so full of plants that I can't get to the lights.
20211106_205429.jpg

Where do these trippers go? I swear they just disappear. I'll need to get a replacement set before I can run the LED since they're gonna be on their own 120V intermatic timer on a dedicated 20 Amp circuit.
20211106_204712.jpg

Last edited:
KingKobi

KingKobi

Looking fwd to this.
DB, that very slight discolouration at the tip near your thumb above ^, I have that in one plant. Is it just a little excess nute?
It has happened on new growth of one of my girls after they got their first proper feed last week.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Looking fwd to this.
DB, that very slight discolouration at the tip near your thumb above ^, I have that in one plant. Is it just a little excess nute?
It has happened on new growth of one of my girls after they got their first proper feed last week.
Yeah nutes are at the limit. That was with 0.8 ec. Came on when I transplanted.. no big deal imho. It'll grow out of it.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Went for a forest walk and foraged a couple trays worth of Turkey tails. No Chantrelles this year.. ah well. The medicinal are just as fun to find.
I'll dry these out and powder them for capsules. Good for the immune system.
20211107 163248

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Went for a forest walk and foraged a couple trays worth of Turkey tails. No Chantrelles this year.. ah well. The medicinal are just as fun to find.
I'll dry these out and powder them for capsules. Good for the immune system.View attachment 1186373
if you can make it out to the coast, this is the time of year you can find azurescens growing amongst the grasses. Not sure if they're that far north, but they're the most potent cubensis and well worth the hunt.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Dammit Jim. I got on a metal kick to motivate you to do the thing and you're still lagging. SMDH.

JK, I'm one to talk. Started this run like two months ago and just barely got all the shit together, finally. all in due time. Stoked to kinda be in a race with you lol.
Hahaha yeah man my time is all scheduled lately. Today I had to do all my bookkeeping for the old business since I'm starting the company under a different corporate title.
Tomorrow I need to spend half the day getting into quickbooks for the new business and run to town to get slabs etc.. hope to finish cleaning out the shed and setting up tables on Tuesday. Should go to plan unless something comes up.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Hahaha yeah man my time is all scheduled lately. Today I had to do all my bookkeeping for the old business since I'm starting the company under a different corporate title.
Tomorrow I need to spend half the day getting into quickbooks for the new business and run to town to get slabs etc.. hope to finish cleaning out the shed and setting up tables on Tuesday. Should go to plan unless something comes up.
Not sure about up there, but I'm assuming you're setting up something similar to a LLC? Or are you just rebranding from a sole proprietor type setup?

Lemme know if you need any application dev. I would be happy to build whatever small apps might make your life easier, most of my professional work has been around business management apps and construction apps.
Don't get them up here unfortunately. I think southern Washington is as far as they get.
Ah, that sucks. Good to know though. If I make it out to the coast in the next few weeks, I'll see if I can find some and take some prints for yall Canucks. They're wood lovers so you'll have to propagate them outdoors, but it's a worthwhile effort me thinks.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Not sure about up there, but I'm assuming you're setting up something similar to a LLC? Or are you just rebranding from a sole proprietor type setup?

Lemme know if you need any application dev. I would be happy to build whatever small apps might make your life easier, most of my professional work has been around business management apps and construction apps.

Ah, that sucks. Good to know though. If I make it out to the coast in the next few weeks, I'll see if I can find some and take some prints for yall Canucks. They're wood lovers so you'll have to propagate them outdoors, but it's a worthwhile effort me thinks.
Yeah man, I was sole proprietor but I'm venturing into snow removal and wanted the added Liability protection, so we incorporated to LLC.
I'd certainly be interested in having a discussion, but ill warn you I'm dumber than a bag of wet socks when it comes to computers. I can barely use excel with my wife's help setting up the formulas. It's like I have a mental block that prevents me from even wanting to understand how they work.

It's whats driving me to try quickbooks or some other easy to understand and use program. Bookkeeping and accounting is easily the most annoying part of running my business.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Yeah man, I was sole proprietor but I'm venturing into snow removal and wanted the added Liability protection, so we incorporated to LLC.
I'd certainly be interested in having a discussion, but ill warn you I'm dumber than a bag of wet socks when it comes to computers. I can barely use excel with my wife's help setting up the formulas. It's like I have a mental block that prevents me from even wanting to understand how they work.

It's whats driving me to try quickbooks or some other easy to understand and use program. Bookkeeping and accounting is easily the most annoying part of running my business.
No worries, I don't need you to understand how it works. I just need to know where you're starting and what you're expecting to come out the other end. I'll handle everything in the middle.

I don't want to disclose who I work for, but we're in the construction lending business. We move money between developers and banks. Super complex, hard to understand shit, but our software makes it easy for inspectors, banks, and borrowers to all interact. I pride myself on being able to make shit easy for people, hence working for who I do.

Anything that makes your life easier is what matters. Integrating with quickbooks is fairly easy, though I'd heavily recommend hiring a part time book keeper to make sure everything is on the up and up. otherwise, you're liable to shit the bed and end up paying way more in taxes than you should, or worse, getting audited. An LLC will only protect you so much. Best to have a numbers cruncher give a second look and correct where the fat fingers fucked up.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
No worries, I don't need you to understand how it works. I just need to know where you're starting and what you're expecting to come out the other end. I'll handle everything in the middle.

I don't want to disclose who I work for, but we're in the construction lending business. We move money between developers and banks. Super complex, hard to understand shit, but our software makes it easy for inspectors, banks, and borrowers to all interact. I pride myself on being able to make shit easy for people, hence working for who I do.

Anything that makes your life easier is what matters. Integrating with quickbooks is fairly easy, though I'd heavily recommend hiring a part time book keeper to make sure everything is on the up and up. otherwise, you're liable to shit the bed and end up paying way more in taxes than you should, or worse, getting audited. An LLC will only protect you so much. Best to have a numbers cruncher give a second look and correct where the fat fingers fucked up.
Thanks dude, yeah I hire a bookkeeper to arrange my shit a couple times a year now and have an accountant to file the corporate tax return.
The biggest issue for me is not knowing how to make excel work. The rest is fairly straightforward as it's mostly a service business with very little purchasing. But being able to create and send invoices easier would be nice. Other than that, I just need better accounting software.

Top Bottom