The Feds Are Looking Into Colorado’s Weed Black Market

• Thread starter SpiderK
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
SpiderK

SpiderK

SAN ANDREAS, Calaveras County (AP) — More than 27,000 marijuana plants were seized and 35 people arrested in a series of raids in a California county that is trying to crack down on illegal grows as the state prepares to become the world’s largest marijuana marketplace when recreational pot is legalized next year. The crackdown on more than a dozen farms occurred over four days in different parts of Calaveras County, southeast of Sacramento in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Sheriff Rick DiBasilio said Thursday it was the largest series of raids in county history.

“I want to tell all of the illegal growers that decide to come to Calaveras County: Don’t come, you’re not welcome and we will come for you,” DiBasilio said at a news conference.

One of the targeted farms, where more than 6,000 plants were seized, is affiliated with the same Rastafarian Church. Heidi Lepp, the leader of Sugarleaf Rastafarian Church, said the Heiser Canyon farm is part of her network of churches, which use marijuana as their sacrament. She claims the farms that grow pot for the church have a religious exemption allowing such cultivation, but state law does not provide such exceptions.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/08/04/marijuana-raid-calaveras-county-27000-plants/

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

@SpiderK - Do you view the medical and recreational market, the black/grey market, diversion, as well as caregivership, growing and selling weed to dispensaries, centers, or medical marijuana centers etc, to be the same or somewhat similar in both Colorado and California? Basically, are things the same here (Colorado for me) versus 'there' (which I assume to be California based on your links and correct me on your 20 if I'm wrong)?

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
@SpiderK - Do you view the medical and recreational market, the black/grey market, diversion, as well as caregivership, growing and selling weed to dispensaries, centers, or medical marijuana centers etc, to be the same or somewhat similar in both Colorado and California? Basically, are things the same here (Colorado for me) versus 'there' (which I assume to be California based on your links and correct me on your 20 if I'm wrong)?
Hes not on the left coast...

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Hes not on the left coast...
Like I assumed, we're comparing apples to oranges to whatever the hell grows where he is. I'll be corrected if I am wrong, but I don't think there are many large, illegal grows in Colorado anymore. Our crackdown happened starting with 1284-106 in 2012 and has gradually lost steam. I would argue that the situation @muir is seeing is not regularly happening.

@lino why did the south metro drug task force get disbanded because money if there is so much money busting pot farmers? I didn't think siezed cash went to the local jurisdiction, but there has been a lot of new guidelines from el jeffe regarding asset forfeiture.

SpiderK

SpiderK

I look at the entire upper western region opening up. But colorado was the mecca from the forums perspective.....

The not so smart move is turning local grow op into a grow op that moves then sends product into said town from colorado. A local charge becomes a federal issue .... Or making friends over time and becoming part of " group " exporting product.

Someone growing for a few friends or a few more is not really a big issue and does not have a real worry. But i suspect guys coming into colorado or just guys selling local in that region dealing with the price drop, the bug / pesticide / testing before selling issue's, utility cost, ect, ect, taxes ........ the general economy also applying stress .......Many start ratcheting up risk.

SpiderK

SpiderK

And the states really need this tax money.

So it not like normal risk in the past. Your now working in an environment with states that will gain more tax dollars the more they can shut down the black markets ..... and they have technology at disposal that can make this a very, very dangers game.

I suspect many have gone " big " as prices have cratered .... not only in colorado but that entire region. Coupled with taxes and general asset inflation over last ten years, ya, the stress IMO forced guys into a corner regarding price / profit / yield per square meter.

The risk / reward is tilted and many might not understand the possibility. Its not like the states, fed's are telling us they are desperate for money but they are and it will quicken. As jobs and industries get taken out by technology the expected tax base expectations are all very, very wrong moving forward in many states. Like illinois, the worst of the worst and this is why i could bet ten billion on the fact the entire state will go green very soon because its dead broke with union worker obligations funding ponsi assumptions that would make maddoff blush at the accounting smoke and mirror'

20170727 bad 0

20170726 IL2 1

Last edited:
SpiderK

SpiderK

Not changing the subject but everything going on around us ( macro state / u.s.a economics ) can effect things like the black market not only one's actions but also looking at the general finances of the county, state, and federal governments.

We just got slapped with a " soda / sugar " tax. 1 liter of coke was 99 cents now $1.90, tax on everything, crystal light ...

Can't tax the robots.

lino

lino

Like I assumed, we're comparing apples to oranges to whatever the hell grows where he is. I'll be corrected if I am wrong, but I don't think there are many large, illegal grows in Colorado anymore. Our crackdown happened starting with 1284-106 in 2012 and has gradually lost steam. I would argue that the situation @muir is seeing is not regularly happening.

@lino why did the south metro drug task force get disbanded because money if there is so much money busting pot farmers? I didn't think siezed cash went to the local jurisdiction, but there has been a lot of new guidelines from el jeffe regarding asset forfeiture.
im not following the money.
I see massive illegal grows in colo and surrounding states weekly. I thought Ive seen it all in colo and I ran into a cannabis city in Colo that i dont think many ppl know it exists even got there own dispense , off the roads are some serious farmer in those deep woods. I dont suggest to be going back in there. Everyone in that town has got plants and dogs. Never seen no shit like that in Colo. It reminded me of N Cali, like ft Bragg , mendo, paradise acres and some of those ol skool growers. Towns cops are called a Marshalls and they keeps an eye out for the locals ;) More on this town in one of my other threads

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

I look at the entire upper western region opening up. But colorado was the mecca from the forums perspective.....

The not so smart move is turning local grow op into a grow op that moves then sends product into said town from colorado. A local charge becomes a federal issue .... Or making friends over time and becoming part of " group " exporting product.

Someone growing for a few friends or a few more is not really a big issue and does not have a real worry. But i suspect guys coming into colorado or just guys selling local in that region dealing with the price drop, the bug / pesticide / testing before selling issue's, utility cost, ect, ect, taxes ........ the general economy also applying stress .......Many start ratcheting up risk.
You need to read up on the current situation in Colorado before you make the assumptions you've made. Our green rush is over, the time to make mobnies has come and gone with few exceptions. The cash croppers have been here and are already here, and in Colorado private growers can't sell their shit to stores, so your argument moves to slippery slope. You state the obvious that the small time guys don't have as much to worry about.

The possibility of pot moving across state lines legally won't ever happen, and it's foolish to even mention it. Cash croppers don't typically report income or pay taxes on illegal profits, the price drop only affects amateurs as top shelf flower still sells for top dollar. It is financially unfeasible for cash croppers to 'get legal' via registering their grow with the state, which invites inspections. Again, I don't know many cash croppers who registered with the state, and the caregivers who did probably don't like the idea that the state can inspect their grows at their leisure [citation needed].

I would say that the biggest issue affecting smaller growers, basement or otherwise, is having to deal with increased enforcement of the grey market, diversion, and moving product across state lines. Operation Toker Poker recently highlighted the apparent goal of targeting the largest first. Tellingly, I haven't heard of any MMC's, MIP's, or OPC's getting busted, which also confirms more targeted enforcement.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Not changing the subject but everything going on around us ( macro state / u.s.a economics ) can effect things like the black market not only one's actions but also looking at the general finances of the county, state, and federal governments.

We just got slapped with a " soda / sugar " tax. 1 liter of coke was 99 cents now $1.90, tax on everything, crystal light ...

Can't tax the robots.
lol, why is it so difficult for you to stay on topic in a thread? I would happily join you in a specific thread if you made one but yes, you are changing the subject, and it's distracting.

What does the soda tax in the upper pen have to do with the feds and the black market in Colorado? I don't think lino could even make the connection.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

And the states really need this tax money.

So it not like normal risk in the past. Your now working in an environment with states that will gain more tax dollars the more they can shut down the black markets ..... and they have technology at disposal that can make this a very, very dangers game.

I suspect many have gone " big " as prices have cratered .... not only in colorado but that entire region. Coupled with taxes and general asset inflation over last ten years, ya, the stress IMO forced guys into a corner regarding price / profit / yield per square meter.

The risk / reward is tilted and many might not understand the possibility. Its not like the states, fed's are telling us they are desperate for money but they are and it will quicken. As jobs and industries get taken out by technology the expected tax base expectations are all very, very wrong moving forward in many states. Like illinois, the worst of the worst and this is why i could bet ten billion on the fact the entire state will go green very soon because its dead broke with union worker obligations funding ponsi assumptions that would make maddoff blush at the accounting smoke and mirror'

View attachment 727611
View attachment 727610
What the eff is this? Lino ignored my question, so I'll ask you. How do states, who you state are in need of tax revenue, going to pay for all of this fancy technology you are also talking about? You've been speed posting at an alarming rate lately, are you in some kind of post padding fund raiser?

SpiderK

SpiderK

The equipment is bought and paid for.

The local government calls the u.s.a government and ask for drones ect .......

These laws passed a few years ago but only " conspiracy " nuts i guess garner the info and bypass the normal boob tube mind shaping knowledge based reality fun fest across cable t.v..... and keep tabs on the latest unfolding around us.

SpiderK

SpiderK

25 miles under surveillance 24/7, and you can tag cars within video and the computers go back in time and track said car. only in the movies. please a show of hands from anyone who knew about this technology before i just posted about it ...... pin drop.

....... the stuff of tin foil and conspiracy until it's not ..... SpiderK is a nut ..... Lol'

But don't worry, local grow says it no big deal. they are not after you ..... carry on, carry on ....

xavier7995

xavier7995

I think the "states need tax money" argument is flawed. Weed tax is like 1.5% of the total tax receipts. Not chump change mind you, but it's just not that big of a money maker. Most of the jobs created are minimum wage crap. Lazy unchecked and unsubstantiated math, but I would guess that most states could raise their lotto ticket prices a dollar and get that.

Looks like the lotto contributes about twice as much as weed for the state coffers, per the 2016 CO government annual report.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

25 miles under surveillance 24/7, and you can tag cars within video and the computers go back in time and track said car. only in the movies. please a show of hands from anyone who knew about this technology before i just posted about it ...... pin drop.

....... the stuff of tin foil and conspiracy until it's not ..... SpiderK is a nut ..... Lol'

But don't worry, local grow says it no big deal. they are not after you ..... carry on, carry on ....
I never said it's not a big deal, I am calling you out for insisting on inserting your own personal agenda in each and every post that you make, turning threads into shit posting nonsense. I'm not sure you even read what I posted, because I agree with you on a lot of the things you say. I just don't understand why you choose to do what you do when making specific threads would keep the clutter down and interest higher, keeping you engaged.

I knew about the technology too. I thought Will Smith did a good job in that movie. I don't remember when they talked about drug dealers and pot grows, though.

Please refrain from cowardly putting words in my mouth. If you have a problem with something I posted, quote it and then talk shit. Where did I say something isn't a big deal?

It's becoming more and more obvious that you don't care to have any sort of discussion about the topic of this thread, you're only interested in you. It's endearing for Lino to be Lino so he gets a pass, but your continued lack of purposeful specificity is transparent, your casual lazy insults undermine your own credibility, and the fact that you continue to post, yet refuse to engage, is also telling and transparent. That makes you lazy, not smart and in the know.

sixstring

sixstring

This is not that exciting, please dont get so excited over this topic.opinions on certain issues can be described differently by others.i just dont see why your riding spiderk's ass on any of this lol.
I for one did not know about the new spy tech and that they had been using it on Americans here.seems like a better use would be to hunt and kill that north Korean idiot haha.

SpiderK

SpiderK

some people just want this thread closed, it makes some look like morons .....

carry on with off topic banter or focus on said topic as ive tied in my assumptions.

SpiderK

SpiderK

six i've slapped around growguy many,many,many times regarding debating issues, this is pent up IQ assumptions gone wild in real-time ....

SpiderK

SpiderK

It took you 4 paragraphs to call him out? It's almost as if you enjoy the confrontation:D

i forgot more than he understands and my spelling vo cab is brutal ....

he can't handle it. every single debate he's tried with me lost, this is going on 30-40 topics now.

lino

lino

What the eff is this? Lino ignored my question, so I'll ask you. How do states, who you state are in need of tax revenue, going to pay for all of this fancy technology you are also talking about? You've been speed posting at an alarming rate lately, are you in some kind of post padding fund raiser
Ive been posting controversy. We've gotten passive, we used to have some fun fights. It was a bummer when peeps would get too mad and banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom