• Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
SpiderK

SpiderK

Sessions’ Marijuana Crackdown May Still Be Coming
AUG. 7 2017 10:26 AM

The attorney general’s own experts recommend respecting states’ experiments

When Attorney General Jeff Sessions convened his Task Force on Crime Reduction and Public Safety in February, it was widely assumed to be the first step toward a crackdown on the state-level legalization of marijuana. Sessions stacked the task force with federal prosecutors and law enforcement officers, who were expected to endorse an assault on the cannabis industry in states that have signed off on recreational marijuana use. But on Friday, the AP got ahold of the task force’s recommendations and revealed that they weren’t draconian at all. Rather, the group suggested maintaining the current compromise between states and the feds that has allowed marijuana reform to flourish.

In the end, that surprising affirmation of the status quo probably doesn’t matter. Sessions may have failed to produce a pretext for his anti-pot crusade, but he is still preparing to target legal cannabis in at least three of the eight states that have legalized recreational weed. The attorney general has almost certainly known about the task force’s recommendations for weeks if not months, since they were provided to him on a “
rolling basis.” Yet even as these findings came in, Sessions was laying the groundwork for a strike against the legalization movement. The strategy taking shape at Sessions’ Justice Department revolves around an Obama-era policy designed to strike a balance between federal interests and state sovereignty. After Colorado and Washington state voted to legalize recreational marijuana in 2013, Deputy Attorney General James M. Cole issued the so-called Cole memo outlining the DOJ’s new approach. While cannabis is illegal under federal law, Cole directed federal prosecutors not to target individuals, growers, or sellers who comply fully with state regulations.

Instead, the Cole memo instructed prosecutors to focus their efforts “on certain enforcement priorities,” including the distribution of marijuana to minors, interstate smuggling, and “drugged driving” as well as “other adverse public health consequences.”

Since then, as more states promulgate and implement cannabis regulations, they have focused on staying “Cole compliant”—prioritizing enforcement in those areas outlined by the memo. Under the leadership of Eric Holder and Loretta Lynch, the Justice Department mostly kept its promise, allowing an increasing number of states to experiment with full legalization. Meanwhile, Congress barred the DOJ from going after medical marijuana, depriving the agency of funds to prosecute users, growers, and sellers of medicinal cannabis who comply with state law. (Twenty-nine states, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico have legalized medical marijuana.) Sessions has said that “much of” the Cole memo is “valid” and has not publicly expressed interest in rescinding it. But as Reason’s Jacob Sullum has pointed out, the memo is so elastic that it gives prosecutors leeway to target the legal cannabis industry under the pretense that states have failed to comply with Cole. Obama’s DOJ interpreted the memo to encourage a laissez-faire approach to states’ experiments with marijuana reform, so long as they crafted a stringent regulatory framework. But Sessions criticized this approach as a senator, asserting that the agency had construed Cole too leniently. His comments raised fears that, as attorney general, Sessions would reinterpret Cole, allege state noncompliance, and launch a clampdown on legal marijuana.

That’s precisely what Sessions appears to be doing. The Huffington Post’s Matt Ferner reported on Thursday that the governors of Colorado, Oregon, and Washington have sent Sessions analyses of their states’ compliance with the Cole memo, apparently to no avail. In nearly identical messages sent to the governors and attorneys general of those states, Sessions wrote that the DOJ “remains committed to enforcing” the federal ban on cannabis, a “dangerous drug.” He then pointed out that the Cole memo permits “investigation or prosecution” of the legal cannabis industry—even when it complies with Cole. (The implication here is that the DOJ’s policy is already generous, perhaps overly so.) More concerningly, Sessions attached state-specific federal reports that, he alleged, “[raise] serious questions about the efficacy of marijuana ‘regulatory structures’ in your state.”

In reality, those reports’ findings are pretty minor. While the exact statistics vary by state, they mostly demonstrate minimal impacts on public health and safety. In Washington, Sessions highlights “a 54% increase in the number of marijuana calls to the State Poison Center from 2012-2014” but cannot point to a corresponding increase in marijuana-related deaths (because there were none). He also points out that most violations of state marijuana law involve minors. It’s true that some dispensaries have illegally sold cannabis to individuals younger than 21. But the state is working to stamp out this problem, bringing the vast majority of dispensaries into compliance. And studies have found that teen pot use does not increase when states legalize.The most alarming figure Sessions cites is a surge in car crashes involving drivers who test positive for cannabinoids. But cannabis compounds, unlike alcohol, remain in the system for weeks after inhalation or ingestion. So this finding does not actually prove that more people are operating motor vehicles while stoned. Moreover, a separate study found no upswing in fatal crashes in Colorado, Oregon, and Washington. At worst, then, legalization may have led to an uptick in nonlethal crashes.

For Sessions, these statistics, however misleading, provide cover to allege a violation of Cole and commence the prosecution of growers, sellers, and users who comply with state law. Prosecutors could also attempt to derail the industry by sending minatory letters to stakeholders warning of a potential crackdown. The chilling effect of these admonitions could slow the growth of the legal cannabis market and reinvigorate the black market trade. As Tom Angell, founder of the Marijuana Majority, told me in an email, “overturning state regulatory systems that are working well will only put the marijuana market back into the hands of cartels and gangs instead of allowing regulated businesses to continue generating tax revenue and creating jobs. That would be an enormous blow to public health and safety.”

Sessions’ letters are even more disturbing in light of the task force’s recommendations, the bulk of which seem to have been forwarded to him before he sent those threatening letters. His own experts believe the current regime is working just fine, yet the attorney general is still intent on creating a confrontation between the DOJ and marijuana-legalizing states.

If a respected team of prosecutors and law enforcement officers can’t change Sessions’ mind about cannabis, it’s hard to imagine anything that could. Sessions may be an extreme outlier, one of the few remaining drug warriors with real power who yearns for a federal crackdown on marijuana. But when it comes to drugs, his opinion is the one that matters most. It’s possible that Sessions could heed his experts and allow the marijuana experiment to proceed—but there’s little evidence to suggest that his fixation on pot will soon come to an end. The man who once supported the death penalty for pot dealers is unlikely to let some task force stand in the way of his crusade against cannabis.

Mark Joseph Stern is a writer for Slate. He covers the law and LGBTQ issues.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...n_on_legal_marijuana_despite_his_experts.html

Last edited:
SpiderK

SpiderK

So in enforcing the cole memo' it shall be ..... Buckle Up.

............ Instead, the Cole memo instructed prosecutors to focus their efforts “on certain enforcement priorities,” including the distribution of marijuana to minors, interstate smuggling, and “drugged driving” as well as “other adverse public health consequences.”............

nothing to see here, please keep moving maybe stop at a bar and have some booze or buy some pills from doc' / big pharma', please, keep moving .......

sixstring

sixstring

So in enforcing the cole memo' it shall be ..... Buckle Up.

............ Instead, the Cole memo instructed prosecutors to focus their efforts “on certain enforcement priorities,” including the distribution of marijuana to minors, interstate smuggling, and “drugged driving” as well as “other adverse public health consequences.”............
imo i think once they get a grip on rounding up ms13,then wrap up their shit with the opiate crisis they keep talking about,they will spend all their time and effort on marijuana stuff.it could get ugly soon

sixstring

sixstring

not sure where i posted this but fuck it here it is again :)
Sen. Cory Booker on Wednesday introduced legislation that would legalize marijuana, expunge federal marijuana convictions and penalize states with racially-disparate arrest or incarceration rates for marijuana-related crimes. The changes are aimed at undoing some of the harm the nation's decades-long war on drugs has inflicted on poor and minority communities.

SpiderK

SpiderK

Over 50% of the black market bud has chems in it in cali, colo ect and i bet 100% has chem's from the black market guys selling it without testing ....

Karma giving uncle .gov another weapon against the black market.

And I say an official " Fuck You " to any rat bastard that sprays cancer then sells it. ..... On this, I agree with the " state " taking out the trash.

Look at the famous Schrews thread on another site / outdoor , russets come and EVERYONE saying, spray, spray, spray ..... you gotta hit um' hard''''' , nuke um', floromite, triple up on this, on of, on off, neem, chem, chem, chem then this, then that .......... blow me buddy ....

And this " community " was so hippy, so organic, so much love ....... until the rent needs paying. What a wonderful world it is in 2017'. The vaunted green rush built upon truth, love and true friendship'

Last edited:
SpiderK

SpiderK

Indeed ... indeed .......

So if 99% are corrupt what door u picking ..... This is the problem in 2017 and why this country is a fucking mess'. And if a guy spraying chem's squares it up in his head ( all the food is bad ) so be it '

Booze sold on every corner, rockefellers sitting on the board of fizer ..... pills, anyone need pills, pills .... hotdogs ........, higher taxes, no fucking change, how about an insurance tax ?????

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

So if 99% are corrupt what door u picking ..... This is the problem in 2017 and why this country is a fucking mess'

I choose to pick my own door when possible. which brings us back to the original thread title (sort of). I don't believe for a second that the feds are going to waste time/money on the individual basement growers. The black market will always be there. I honestly don't mind seeing the large illegal farms going down. Large illegal farms, just like large legal consumer companies do not have the customers best interest in mind, only profit. The small local organic vegetable farmers are doing very well because the consumer believes they are producing products in the best interest of the customer.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

i forgot more than he understands and my spelling vo cab is brutal ....

he can't handle it. every single debate he's tried with me lost, this is going on 30-40 topics now.
You can't get past the fact that we agree on most of the stuff you post. I just think it's annoying that you shit post wherever the most active thread is. What you are missing is that we agree more than we disagree, you just misunderstand my annoyance at your shitposting in random threads as me trying to start debates with you.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

imo i think once they get a grip on rounding up ms13,then wrap up their shit with the opiate crisis they keep talking about,they will spend all their time and effort on marijuana stuff.it could get ugly soon
How do you think the opiate epidemic will be addressed?

SpiderK

SpiderK

can someone tell me the difference between insurance industry / united health care / obama care and a Ponzi scheme ... ? speaking of Big Pharma drug rackets ....

Merriam-Webster -............. “An investment swindle in which early investors are paid with sums obtained from later ones in order to create the illusion of profitability.” = Ponzi definition.

and its funny how finance, insurance one of the same. illusionist. master magician's in the alchemy of creating something out of someone elses 10%. no wonder ole' warren buffet started it all off that monthly up front funding from the insurance money machine' GEICO / - 1951

so it's o.k if the upper crust run said Ponzi's , legally as long as some of the underlings can make money, make the world go round ..... a few crumbs for unwashed from the politburo'

Last edited:
SpiderK

SpiderK

So ....

the insurance companies ( upper crust 1%ers ) privatized the gains as long as possible then dumped this old ass Ponzi scheme onto the American people ...... viva those that spray corruption because those before them have done so ....

viva afghanistan opium production during the wars and wars of more wars ...... gotta keep those pill company quota'. what .... record production during a war ? A 30 year war ? U mean .gov, the anti drug dude did nothing to stop this " ugly dark monster " h / opium ... ??????? No .... how , no ....

its not a conspiracy, shit just happens they are working for the People, lets run out and vote for change, maybe the inner cities will get cleaned up in 2020 under ZUCK ... Lol' or maybe Oprah ....

I stopped voting when Ross Perot told the USA manufacturing / Nafta would be a total disaster. 1992 8.4% listened. Now how many of these fucking morons with no jobs and kids coming out of college are crying about the situation today ???? I guess they should have turned off Dynasty, stopped snorting all the coke from the union job bonuses and did some forward thinking macro growth modeling .... . JMO'

Last edited:
sixstring

sixstring

How do you think the opiate epidemic will be addressed?
they are addressing it now as we speak.people i know that get pain pills for long time problems are getting cut way back or weaned off completely.not that thats a bad thing but one of my friends wife has been getting x amount of norcos for about 10 years and now that amount has dropped by more than 50% and her doc said he needs to get her off them because of pressure from the feds.next year i can see 5 and 10 buck pain pills going for 30 to 50 bucks each because they will be very difficult to get.listen to doctors talk about how they used to be taught to prescribe 60 to 90 pills for most prceedures and now they are finding that just 10 to 15 pills is more than enough.they are going after pain clinics in southern states also.used to be easy to walk into a clinic in florida and get anything you wanted pretty much,even if you didnt live in florida.now they are watching those places like a hawk,so yeah its happening now.

SpiderK

SpiderK

my brother took 25 vik's/zanex or whatever per day. face swelled up like a balloon, would steal from his momma ......

i had no idea someone could take that much, but he told me 20 or 25. i swear its no lie

sixstring

sixstring

I believe it,i saw a guy pop 8 norco 10/325 all at once which are pretty fuckin strong.it was at a party and dude was drinking.i was like we are fuckin out of here before the ems has to come revive this dumbass.but he was fine the next day,guess he takes alot of those and has a high tolerance lol

SpiderK

SpiderK

BuzzFeed News Trained A Computer To Search For Hidden Spy Planes. This Is What We Found.

From planes tracking drug traffickers to those testing new spying technology, US airspace is buzzing with surveillance aircraft operated for law enforcement and the military.
August 07, 2017

A secret spy plane operated
by the US Marshals hunted drug cartel kingpins in Mexico. A military contractor that tracks terrorists in Africa is alsoflying surveillance aircraft over US cities. In two stories published last week, BuzzFeed News revealed the activities of aircraft that their operators didn’t want to discuss. These discoveries came not from tip-offs from anonymous sources, but by training a computer to recognize known spy planes, then setting it loose on large quantities of flight-tracking data compiled by the website Flightradar24.

Here’s how we did it.

Surveillance aircraft often keep a low profile: The FBI, for example, registers its planes to fictitious companies to mask their true identity.So BuzzFeed News trained a computer to find them by letting a machine-learning algorithm sift for planes with flight patterns that resembled those operated by the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security. Last year, we reported on aerial surveillance by these planes, mapping thousands of flights over more than four months from mid-August to the end of December 2015.First we made a series of calculations to describe the flight characteristics of almost 20,000 planes in the four months of Flightradar24 data: their turning rates, speeds and altitudes flown, the areas of rectangles drawn around each flight path, and the flights’ durations. We also included information on the manufacturer and model of each aircraft, and the four-digit squawk codes emitted by the planes’ transponders.

Then we turned to an algorithm called the “random forest,” training it to distinguish between the characteristics of two groups of planes: almost 100 previously identified FBI and DHS planes, and 500 randomly selected aircraft. The random forest algorithm makes its own decisions about which aspects of the data are most important. But not surprisingly, given that spy planes tend to fly in tight circles, it put most weight on the planes’ turning rates. We then used its model to assess all of the planes, calculating a probability that each aircraft was a match for those flown by the FBI and DHS. The algorithm was not infallible: Among other candidates, it flagged several skydiving operations that circled in a relatively small area, much like a typical surveillance aircraft. But as an initial screen for candidate spy planes, it proved very effective. In addition to aircraft operated by the US Marshals and the military contractor Acorn Growth Companies, covered in our previous stories, it highlighted a variety of planes flown by law enforcement, and by the military and its contractors. Some of these aircraft use technologies that challenge our assumptions about when and how we're being watched, tracked, or listened to. It's only by understanding when and how these technologies are used from the air that we'll be able to debate the balance between effective law enforcement, national security, and individual privacy.

Here are five of the most intriguing examples we found.

Some of the algorithm’s top matches were aircraft operated by state and local law enforcement: The top 20 candidates included aircraft registered to the cities of Mesa and Phoenix in Arizona, the sheriffs of Orange and Los Angeles counties in California, and the Ohio State Highway Patrol. In July of last year, the Ohio plane showed up above Cleveland during the Republican National Convention, where it watched for “suspicious persons in immediate proximity to secure areas,” a patrol spokesperson told BuzzFeed News at the time. The algorithm also highlighted a plane registered to a company called Five Point Aerial Survey, which seems to be a front for the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office in Florida. The fake company’s name recalls the sheriff’s badge, and the plane’s registration number, ending in the letters “RB,” is consistent with other planes registered openly by the office. The Palm Beach County Sheriff has reserved other registration numbers in the same format, giving an address for an outfit called Eagle Eye Investigations.

1. State and local cops, featuring the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s secret plane

The Five Point plane carries a surveillance camera and augmented-reality system, able to superimpose information onto live video, which is often used on law enforcement planes. But Teri Barbera, the sheriff’s director of media relations, would neither confirm nor deny that the Five Point aircraft belonged to the sheriff’s office — which denied a request for documents mentioning the plane, citing an exemption from state records law covering law enforcement surveillance and undercover personnel.

Over the past couple of years, the Five Point plane has regularly circled locations around Palm Beach and patrolled off its coast.

3. The military: Air Force Special Ops, Big Safari, and Air Cerberus

Most military aircraft don’t have civilian registrations and aren’t recorded on commercial flight-tracking websites. But a number of military spy planes nevertheless showed up in the Flightradar24 data. We were initially baffled by some of the aircraft the algorithm flagged: They included one plane that identified itself as a powered parachute, and another as a small drone owned by a photographer. The location of their circling paths, and some digging into the history of the aircraft registrations, solved the mystery. They were U-28A spy planes operated by US Air Force Special Operations Command from its base at Hurlburt Field in the Florida Panhandle. These planes are modified from civilian Pilatus PC-12 aircraft by the Sierra Nevada Corporation, a major defense contractor. Flying for the military, some were still transmitting the identifying code linked to their old civilian registration numbers, which had since been recycled.

Another aircraft in the algorithm’s haul belonged to the Air Force’s 645th Aeronautical Engineering Systems Group. Known as “Big Safari,” this secretive unit is based at the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio, and has run special operations overseas. At home, it flies a C-146AWolfhound aircraft that is a test bed for electronic surveillance equipment. We saw this plane circling over Raleigh and Fayetteville in North Carolina (near the Fort Bragg Army base), and near Denver.Widening the search to other aircraft registered to Big Safari, we spotted a Pilatus PC-12 that mostly circled near Denver. This appears to be one of18 planes prepared by the Sierra Nevada Corporation for transfer to the Afghan army’s Special Mission Wing to spy on Taliban insurgents. Big Safari declined to comment in detail on its operations. “To preserve our technical advantage over any adversary, we do not discuss specific capabilities or testing,” Emily Grabowski, a spokesperson for the US Air Force, told BuzzFeed News by email.

4. The drug cops: Silver Creek Aviation and Chaparral Air Group

After the DHS and the FBI, the largest fleet of federal law enforcement aircraft belongs to the Drug Enforcement Administration. The DEA is also the federal agency that has made the greatest effort to hide its planes from public view. According to records obtained by BuzzFeed News under a Freedom of Information Act request, in 2014 the DEA requested that the FAA remove 95 of its aircraft — mostly registered to front companies — from the feed of air traffic control data provided to commercial flight-tracking websites, including Flightradar24.

Nevertheless, a few DEA planes have slipped through the net, and two registered to the front companies Chaparral Air Group and Silver Creek Aviation Services were flagged by our algorithm in the Flightradar24 data. Other DEA aircraft still show up on ADS-B Exchange, a website that is entirely crowdsourced by aviation enthusiasts detecting aircraft transponder signals using their own antennae. ADS-B Exchange does not filter its display using the FAA’s list of blocked aircraft, and its data revealed that DEA planes and helicopters have been watching over many US cities over the past year. The DEA declined to comment on its aviation operations. “The DEA aviation section supports numerous operations that are law enforcement sensitive,” spokesperson Melvin Patterson told BuzzFeed News by email. “Sharing such information would allow criminals to use this to their advantage.”

https://www.buzzfeed.com/peteraldhous/hidden-spy-planes?utm_term=.mcodDb9L77#.jqwGMdYPWW

Last edited:
SpiderK

SpiderK

From buzzfeed article above.

Not one or two flights , thousands ...... over Denver area alone as you can see in pictures it does not go up once in a focus area....

Heat signature from generators or air conditioning units in the woods , lighting watching traffic, phones .... Lets hope people on black market doing the big stuff have real good luck moving forward, they will need it ...

Unnamed 8

Unnamed 7

Unnamed 6

Unnamed 4

Unnamed 2

Last edited:
LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

can someone tell me the difference between insurance industry / united health care / obama care and a Ponzi scheme ... ? speaking of Big Pharma drug rackets ....

Merriam-Webster -............. “An investment swindle in which early investors are paid with sums obtained from later ones in order to create the illusion of profitability.” = Ponzi definition.

and its funny how finance, insurance one of the same. illusionist. master magician's in the alchemy of creating something out of someone elses 10%. no wonder ole' warren buffet started it all off that monthly up front funding from the insurance money machine' GEICO / - 1951

so it's o.k if the upper crust run said Ponzi's , legally as long as some of the underlings can make money, make the world go round ..... a few crumbs for unwashed from the politburo'
Sure! But I need a bit of clarification.

It's impossible to explain the differences between the words you typed in the first sentence. Again, definitions matter, and a lack of clarity clouds an already confusing and complex set of issues. We should look into that.

insurance industry - Are you talking about health insurance? Group, individual, or other? Given the rest of your post I am going with group and individual health, not auto, life, p & c, homeowners, etc. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

united health care - Are you referring to the insurance carrier? Are you referring to this one specifically or health insurance carriers in general?

obama care - Are you referring to the Affordable Care Act, the actual legislation, or are you making a more general statement about moving to a single payer system and away from a privately run and regulated industry? Our healthcare industry comprises 1/5th of our economy, and when we're talking about that much of our economy involved, narrowing the scope down to one or two causes is a fools errand, but it's a factor. How much is debatable but doesn't matter.

ponzi scheme - I think we are familiar.

big pharma drug rackets - Speak more on this, because although you mention it, you don't explicitly make a connection or claim that big pharma is a ponzi scheme.

geico - This is an interesting company to use as an example for whatever you are trying to claim, and tying it to warren buffet is even more confusing. Perhaps you can clarify. Geico started out primarily doing auto insurance, is that the ponzi scheme, auto insurance? Geico offers other types of policies but they are underwritten by other companies. They were bought by berkshire in 1996.

the warren buffet comment is a bit telling, but also confusing. Buffet and Berkshire Hathaway have a much larger presence in the reinsurance industry, something that you haven't mentioned specifically, but where the big money is. More on reinsurance: https://www.economist.com/news/fina...s-largest-purchase-ever-long-tail-reinsurance

Are you making the claim that a part or whole of our healthcare system is a ponzi scheme?

Are you making the claim that health insurance is a ponzi scheme?

Are you making the claim that insurance in general is a ponzi scheme?

Last, and most important, is your last sentence that mentions 'monthly up front funding' and geico and 1951 and warren buffet. What do you mean by that term? Are you making the claim that paying insurance premiums in advance is a ponzi scheme?

Finally, do you consider social security to be a ponzi scheme as well?

edit-
I stopped voting'
In my opinion, if you don't vote than you don't get to complain, although I'm curious where you are headed with these posts. I have a feeling you aren't really looking for anyone to explain anything to you, because you already know the answer. I'm not interested in anything else you've posted, just health insurance and health care and geico and warren buffet etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom