The History of OG Kush

• Thread starter Green Dot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SpiderK

SpiderK

u brought up northern lights after i said ortega so who needs the lesson ...

i was cleaning up your mess so this thread does not get filled with more double speak.

& i understand history read all these pages before bringing up oregon kid. u started this crap, the video is run by a marketing crew. all the guys talking about that show or market crap are after an agenda ....

thats the point of my 12 pages of history in this thread. most of the stories are crap. & i fully understand that haze, northern lights built most everything today. but getting really specific, ortega and the original northern light #5 off the island are not related.

& baba built his new haze (ssh) / lines ( male ) ect off nevils 89 northern light#5 / haze line as did nevil himself in the early 90's......

Last edited:
oahno

oahno

i brought up what the lineage of ortega is, and how it is likely very similar to og, which was a skunkxnlxmystery sativa. all good weed in the us in the 80s is a result of pnw breeding, and yes neville acquiring those seeds and breeding them as well. his major influence is haze however. all of the elites that aren't based on haze are likely a direct result of original pnw skunk/nl genetics.

edit:: dude, you're just misinformed and ignorant to a lot of facts. whatever your opinion of the show being bs/marketing/whatever which i agree most stuff on the internet is. if you don't listen to the interview specifically with dave richards/dave mann you just don't have the whole picture.

i had long held beliefs about neville and them being the roots of it all, but after hearing that interview, you will forget everything you thought you knew about cannabis i promise you.

Last edited:
B

bigwavedave

@oahno...the crack kush had nothing to do with green crack. they called it crack kush because people were feinding for it like it was crack. calling the dealer over and over, just showing up etc because it was so good you had to have it and only it. that type of thing. had absolutely nothing to do with the green crack strain. and as far as the variations of og, there is definitely two distinct flavor/smell profiles that are noticeable when taking in og flowers. the "lemony, citrus" group and the "soap, skunk" group. if you listen to the podcast, dave mann actually references a brand of bleach that the og reminds him of. with that comment i know instantly which branch of the tree he is describing. if you go to any collective or any grower who is producing og you will more than likely find the "lemony, citrus" line, i find the "soap, skunk" leaning varieties on a much rarer frequency. they are both og as you can smell that fuel(my descriptor) essence in both of them, the separator is whether the nose goes high pitched with the lemon or low pitch with the soap. the tahoe,ghost,sfv,larry cut in my opinion is the same cut with different names and are of the lemony branch....the only soap heavy variety that i know of that can commonly be either found as a flower or clone is the louis. they are absolutely closely related but also are absolutely different in their terpene profile. this isn't opinion, its fact. whether an individual has the pallet to understand this is questionable. after smoking this small family of genetics for almost 15 years now, i can say without a doubt that the og "family" has at least two different direct chemotypes

oahno

oahno

just because someone crossed the real og with something else, or there was s1s spit out somewhere, and it smells different, doesn't mean i'm wrong. proper, original, legit og kush (tahoe, ghost, whatever you wanna call it), does not. and it sounds like you agree with this so i dont know what else to say. legitimate og kush does not have a lemony or citrus smell. it's more of a woodsy/caramely with a distinct smell you can't quite put your finger on. i would imagine the kind of bleach he described is the smell i'm looking for. there are many terpenes in weed which don't have a real world analog, which is why you get so much confusion between smell descriptions amongst different peoples noses.

you can say it smells like fuel, but both dave and adam from that interview confirmed it doesn't. the fuel name had absolutely nothing to do with the smell at any point along the way. people just latched on to it because of the word "diesel", which like your crack, had nothing to do with the smell or taste of the strain.

green crack was originally called green cush. so you can see why i may have assumed they might be related? properly grown, it would easily induce the crack like customers you describe. probably the most resinous plant you can grow outside of an afgoo.

M

mrtokez2

it seems you have a bug up your butt about oregonkid, and a bone to pick. his place in the history of og kush is very minimal, but very important. the cut didn't really exist outside of florida before him.

Orgnkid has nothing to do with og kush in LA. Didn't exist outside of Florida before him? What? LA been dominating the og game before internet was even crackin. Please I'm sure many Floridians think they started og cuz of the tk and now apparently delusional Hawaiians think they started it. But let's be real everybody knows what city og is associated with..especially before the internet came around and people started making shit up.

M

mrtokez2

Og smells like soapy chemical pine Sol. That's it. Lemony profiles come from weak phenos/s1s or shitty drying. Or it's not og.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Og smells like soapy chemical pine Sol. That's it. Lemony profiles come from weak phenos/s1s or shitty drying. Or it's not og.
Lol funny you say that because I've always thought poorly dried og smells like bounty dry sheets.....don't mind me though please carry on.....I doubt that would happen with a real cut though

Last edited:
M

mrtokez2

Lol funny you say that because I've always thought poorly dried og smells like bounty dry sheets.....don't mind me though please carry on.....I doubt that would happen with a real cut though

Pretty sure all strains smell like that if dried shittily enough lol

oahno

oahno

you can say la was "dominating the game" but around 1991 when chemdog found those seeds, la was just a consumer like everyone else. the real breeding/growing was not taking place in major metropolitan cities. if you can find reference to an og kush in la before 95/96 i'd love to read it. and please don't mention other strains like ortega or whatever and say they're og, because any similarities are due to similar blood lines and not rebranding.

def dig the soapy, chemically pine sol description. feel like theres woody/caramely undertones as well but thats pretty spot on. and ya if it smells anything at all like lemon or citrus idk wtf you just grew but it aint og.

B

bigwavedave

@oahno...the terpene limonene...ever heard of it? pinene? high percentages are a trademark in the og lineage. i know this as I've been actually getting product tested, product i know lineage of, product i raised. not some shit i read and listened to. limonene smells like lemon, lemon peel. pinene? well I'm sure you get the point. different descriptors from different noses and vocabularies. so far as DIESELEY, KEROSENE, FUELY, PINE SOL....those all describe the unique taste and flavor that og has that wasn't around in anybody's nose or mouth until its creation/discovery...point being there is absolutely two different closely related og chemotypes with the soapy/bleach/acrid/skunk leaning side being one and the other being a more high pitched lemon scent. ever grown a common LA club clone only og cut like TAHOE? SFV? LARRY? not a seed that has an afghan father bred out of it...how bout FIRE, HELLS ANGEL, 100 DOLLAR, 91, HIGH OCTANE, FACE OFF.... @ oahno the description of lemon doesn't ring a bell? theres no citrus profile in og? i would have to say i strongly disagree. as far as s1 generation what does it matter? if that were the case would it change the fact that when a connoisseur palate tastes different examples of og;s there are only going to be two distinct flavor profiles. not 10, not 20, theres not a different flavor profile for every different og "cut". there is two. soap or citrus. @oahno LA has been growing and breeding on a major level since the early 80s. thats a fact. norcal folk, pnw folk, they are mostly la transplants as well. la was dominating the game as it housed the best strains, best grows, and best growers circa late 1980s through current day. la is not considered a consumer city anymore than any other metro area, the distinction is that la is a producer. an origin of trafficking. big difference between the two classifications. i know exactly what i grew cuz, and its og, and its fire, AND my citrus sweet enhances the natural limonene heavy profile the genetics are pre dispositioned to exhibit and its available to qualified patients in LA.

M

mrtokez2

@oahno...the terpene limonene...ever heard of it? pinene? high percentages are a trademark in the og lineage. i know this as I've been actually getting product tested, product i know lineage of, product i raised. not some shit i read and listened to. limonene smells like lemon, lemon peel. pinene? well I'm sure you get the point. different descriptors from different noses and vocabularies. so far as DIESELEY, KEROSENE, FUELY, PINE SOL....those all describe the unique taste and flavor that og has that wasn't around in anybody's nose or mouth until its creation/discovery...point being there is absolutely two different closely related og chemotypes with the soapy/bleach/acrid/skunk leaning side being one and the other being a more high pitched lemon scent. ever grown a common LA club clone only og cut like TAHOE? SFV? LARRY? not a seed that has an afghan father bred out of it...how bout FIRE, HELLS ANGEL, 100 DOLLAR, 91, HIGH OCTANE, FACE OFF.... @ oahno the description of lemon doesn't ring a bell? theres no citrus profile in og? i would have to say i strongly disagree. as far as s1 generation what does it matter? if that were the case would it change the fact that when a connoisseur palate tastes different examples of og;s there are only going to be two distinct flavor profiles. not 10, not 20, theres not a different flavor profile for every different og "cut". there is two. soap or citrus. @oahno LA has been growing and breeding on a major level since the early 80s. thats a fact. norcal folk, pnw folk, they are mostly la transplants as well. la was dominating the game as it housed the best strains, best grows, and best growers circa late 1980s through current day. la is not considered a consumer city anymore than any other metro area, the distinction is that la is a producer. an origin of trafficking. big difference between the two classifications. i know exactly what i grew cuz, and its og, and its fire, AND my citrus sweet enhances the natural limonene heavy profile the genetics are pre dispositioned to exhibit and its available to qualified patients in LA.

Thank you..someone who actually knows how it really went down.

oahno

oahno

there is one og cut, you can't prove the origins of any of the supposed different cuts you blurt out, other than to scream "LA" as often as possible. Unless you can produce an actual piece of evidence other than some long rambling diatribe, there's really nothing else to say on the subject.

when was the first time you saw "OG Kush" in LA? What month, what year?

are you telling me that original "OG Kush" and tahoe "OG Kush" are different cuts? And if so how can you PROVE it.

Tahoe, Ghost, Original are all the same cut. Hell's Angels just popped up recently but it's the same as well. And all those are soapy in nature, not lemony. Throw around buzz terpene names all you want. Fact is, if your "OG Kush" smells like lemons, it's an S1 or a cross of some sort.

Last edited:
M

mrtokez2

there is one og cut, you can't prove the origins of any of the supposed different cuts you blurt out, other than to scream "LA" as often as possible. Unless you can produce an actual piece of evidence other than some long rambling diatribe, there's really nothing else to say on the subject.

when was the first time you saw "OG Kush" in LA? What month, what year?

are you telling me that original "OG Kush" and tahoe "OG Kush" are different cuts? And if so how can you PROVE it.

Tahoe, Ghost, Original are all the same cut. Hell's Angels just popped up recently but it's the same as well. And all those are soapy in nature, not lemony. Throw around buzz terpene names all you want. Fact is, if your "OG Kush" smells like lemons, it's an S1 or a cross of some sort.

I can tell you that Tahoe is definitely on the more sativa side of things as far as og goes..but most cuts are a combo of both. I've grown many of the ogeez and I can say that Tahoe is definitely different. I can see Tahoe n Skywalker being the same. I agree that if grown and dried properly..all ogeez should have the same soapy pinesol smell. Its the effects that prove to me that there are definitely a few distinct og cuts. Not many..but a few. I think like three or four max.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

In the word citrus alone ther are more than a handful of chemotypes. To say there are only two and citrus being one of them that's an oxymoron! Within the word citrus there's a fucking a ton of different smells......og smells and taste have been tainted by crosses, I'm only familiar with OG because potency stuck with crosses but aloud foreign oil profile to infiltrate the reputable smell and taste.....if your busy thinking and analyzing smell and taste from the OG you just smoked, it's not Og potency....

B

bigwavedave

if there was one "original" version of "og" at some particular point in time (late 90's) and early on (before there was dozens, hundreds, thousands) of people growing it, somebody either purposely crossed or had an s1. the s1 or new paternal line may be where the 2nd flavor profile came into play. my point is that when you smoke an og. when you smell an og. when you go to a club that has 20 different ogs. when you go to a grow and there are 30 different og labels on the hugos. regardless of how many of these you taste and smell, you will only find two distinct terpene profiles. i have grown and smoked many versions of lets say TAHOE(since this is one of the more popular versions of og that we are all familiar with). and when i say versions, i mean that i have bought and been given cuts that were labeled or known as TAHOE. and i have bought and been given flowers that were labeled or known as TAHOE. even with the noticeable differences within the cuts of that supposed one strain, and even with the difference in the different flowers I've had under that banner (TAHOE) i have never tasted a TAHOE flower that gave me a strong soap flavor. and i have for instance never smoked a LOUIS XIII that gave me a strong citrus flavor. they both have slight elements of each other within the profile, but, one is bleach/soap/skunk heavy and one is citrus/lemon heavy like a lemon head, lemonish candy...the words I'm using to describe these aromas are subjective. my nose says citrus, lemon peel. maybe others opinion is not going to be labeled lemon, citrus. i would also describe the soap/bleach versions as having the heavier pine influence and the lemon/citrus versions as more of the fuel influence. regardless of any opinions, i know what i know and I've seen and tasted what I've seen and tasted. in 2001-2002 i came across both the soap and the citrus. common undertone was the fuelish, gasoline thing that we all say is that "indescribable" quality within the og chemotype.

@oahno i would say that between summer of 2001 and end of 2002 is when i had the 3 different "kushes" that have at one point or another been hanging around LA. i addressed that in an earlier post. one being the bubba-ish thing that i wish i could taste again as i saw it around for a year and never saw it again(maybe this is the strain that bubba speaks of in his podcast interview. the low yielder that he scrapped) and then the soap(2nd strain called kush i tasted) and the citrus(3rd strain called kush i tasted) we never had the hindu kush or master kush back then so that word "kush" even though i had read it in seed catalogs, this was the first weed we were smoking in la that was called "kush" and people would have any of the 3 in their possession and when it came out of their pocket people would call it either "kush" "og" or "og kush" and it would be one of those three basic profiles. bubba-ish, soap, citrus. after the bubba-ish thing went dark you were left with soap or citrus, and its always been like that. this isn't about proof. we aren't scientists in labs with verified versions of anything. there is no way short of the adam dunn genome project to distinctly determine what is made of what and what is the oldest in the line. I'm here to add something to the story as i am a head from the area that witnessed the timeline as it occurred both as a consumer and producer. everyone should be chiming in with their info. the point of this is to sort out the stories and along with some help from adams project determine some real fact(if thats adams true intent) i just hope it doesn't turn into a way of determining that there is one"original" og and its called (x og) and one collective has it and if you don't have it you aren't keeping that real deal so run on over to x collective and get it while it lasts. please guys(adam) don't turn this into a circus show. we all want to know the deal not some marketing bullshit.

B

bigwavedave

@caveman if you can't think clearly while examining samples, you must be a hobbyist. my job is to take in samples and make decisions based on trained opinion. and yes within the word "citrus" many detailed fragrances exist. grapefruit different than orange different than tangerine different than lime etc...i describe it as lemon/citrus as its not a purely lemon smell and has the family of citrus in there. i don't describe it as orangey or tangish or grapefruity. its lemon heavy/citrus family. i have been smoking ogs, og kief and scissor hash for a decade plus bro, potency in a flower is not a disruptor, nor are concentrates...edibles? thats a disruptor for me. I'm not here to go back and forth with people. if you want to carry an opinion that og kush has no citrus undertones to it thats fine. makes no impact on my purpose. carry on.

Top Bottom