The History of OG Kush

• Thread starter Green Dot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
soopy

soopy

Todd, mad respect for your sacrifices and troubles...we're all better off for it.

The mansion sounds insane! How would you compare the A5 or other old classic clone onlys to OG or Chems? Do you see any relation to strains of then to now?

Thanks for taking such good care of our plant...

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

If your only purpose in this thread is perpetuating drama, PLEASE stop - Nobody cares. We're incredibly fortunate to have a cannabis legend like Todd in our midst, and if you neanderthals could shut up for two seconds we might actually get to hear what he has to say.

M

mrtokez2

He pretty much answered most peoples burning question anyway..OG kush was first put on the map in LA so there's a good chance it originated here. Even the name is city specific. Unless anybody can prove they are the ones who got this man and the other small group of growers the original og..anything before that is speculation. And as for all these clone onlys there are only a few that even come close on potency to the original and a good number of them are overrated.

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

Just to clarify, Todd wrote : "There was a small group of growers in Los Angeles who were growing OG and I was fortunate enough to be given a plant and brought into their circle. The story back then [before Todd received it] was that it came from a brother who brought it in from Florida. " That is what he heard from the circle, let's leave it at that per his request.

@HEMPxxx @sanvanalona asked: Do you still smoke flower? Do you have any knowledge on Rene boje? Was she connected to this? And if so I would have a plethora of questions about bc strains that I used to smoke when she worked in van.

@soopy asked a good question: "The mansion sounds insane! How would you compare the A5 or other old classic clone onlys to OG or Chems? Do you see any relation to strains of then to now?"

@HEMPxxx ... I really hope you have not abandoned ship. Probably a dumb question, but did you smoke the Hindu Kush IBL from sensi in the 90's? Does OG KUSH taste very similar to Hindu-Kush to you? I know the internodal spacing is not Hindu-Kush looking at all, but the buds retain a nearly identical high and flavor profile to pure IBL Hindu-Kush from sensi. IMO it seem like (sativa? x indica?) x Hindu Kush. Hindu-Kush IBL is one of my ATF smokes.

@HEMPxxx .... even if you were to speculate, what do you think the ancestry is of OG KUSH?

@HEMPxxx in the multiple instances where your seeds were stolen from you by the police, did the police destroy this "evidence?" Or is it still somewhere in evidence lockers? Is your lawyer working on trying to get that ascertained?

Thank you :)

Last edited:
M

mrtokez2

Just to clarify, Todd wrote : "There was a small group of growers in Los Angeles who were growing OG and I was fortunate enough to be given a plant and brought into their circle. The story back then [before Todd received it] was that it came from a brother who brought it in from Florida. " That is what he heard from the circle, let's leave it at that per his request.

@HEMPxxx @sanvanalona asked: Do you still smoke flower? Do you have any knowledge on Rene boje? Was she connected to this? And if so I would have a plethora of questions about bc strains that I used to smoke when she worked in van.

@soopy asked a good question: "The mansion sounds insane! How would you compare the A5 or other old classic clone onlys to OG or Chems? Do you see any relation to strains of then to now?"

@HEMPxxx ... I really hope you have not abandoned ship. Probably a dumb question, but did you smoke the Hindu Kush IBL from sensi in the 90's? Does OG KUSH taste very similar to Hindu-Kush to you? I know the internodal spacing is not Hindu-Kush looking at all, but the buds retain a nearly identical high and flavor profile to pure IBL Hindu-Kush from sensi. IMO it seem like (sativa? x indica?) x Hindu Kush. Hindu-Kush IBL is one of my ATF smokes.

@hempxx .... even if you were to speculate, what do you think the ancestry is of OG KUSH?

Thank you :)

Lol exactly that was the story back then as well..unverified even then but still people are so quick to jump to conclusions. This is the reason shit is so fucked up today because nobody understands the goddamn scientific method anymore. Origins are still up in the air. Nothing has been verified

HEMPxxx

HEMPxxx

I'm really not that good at describing all the different nuances of Cannabis – but as we all know, OG is very unique. I was at a NCIA - (national cannabis industries association) meeting in Los Angeles a few years back and a gentleman who has been doing terpene research wanted to ask me some questions because he also thought that I had something to do with OG because he thought it came from my house. He was just as disappointed to find out that I knew so little about the cutting other than the fact that I was told that the person who wanted me to have it brought it over to Los Angeles from Florida. He told me that the terpene analysis he had been doing showed that OG was unique in that it had the most amount of terpenes present from all the samples he had tested; he likened that with an artist having a box of 64 Crayola crayons – after coloring with a complete set of colors, a box of 8 or 16 would not seem as appealing. He also speculated that OG became so famous not because it had the highest THC, but because of this full terpene spectrum appealing to so many people.

Grow medicine cover
M

mrtokez2

I'm really not that good at describing all the different nuances of Cannabis – but as we all know, OG is very unique. I was at a NCIA - (national cannabis industries association) meeting in Los Angeles a few years back and a gentleman who has been doing terpene research wanted to ask me some questions because he also thought that I had something to do with OG because he thought it came from my house. He was just as disappointed to find out that I knew so little about the cutting other than the fact that I was told that the person who wanted me to have it brought it over to Los Angeles from Florida. He told me that the terpene analysis he had been doing showed that OG was unique in that it had the most amount of terpenes present from all the samples he had tested; he likened that with an artist having a box of 64 Crayola crayons – after coloring with a complete set of colors, a box of 8 or 16 would not seem as appealing. He also speculated that OG became so famous not because it had the highest THC, but because of this full terpene spectrum appealing to so many people.

Hm. So basically if you took away the pinesol profile terps you could essentially end up with something purple smelling? Or fruity? I'm sure combinations have an effect but this could be a possibility?

dogznova

dogznova

@HEMPxxx From a farmer like myself, you sir are a legend. I have read some of your work and will continue to seek your work and knowledge.

I knew when I read the description of the Jack Herer 'bud' you posted a few pages back, you where the real deal. You just can't read some stuff on the net and nail the description of a flower the way you have, especially a flower that hasn't been around in some time.

I know this is an OG thread.. But did you by chance grow the clone only blueberry from the early 90's? This clone only blueberry bleed actual 'RED' blood as I called it when cutting where taken. So far it's the only strain i've had do this. Very distinct trait.

Again, thanks for your time and all you have done to further this great plant we all love.

Thank you

HEMPxxx

HEMPxxx

@dogznova unfortunately, no – but I have smoked some pretty amazing blueberry that came out of Oregon – or so I thought in the 90s.

And just as a notation because I know you are all so keen on the details – the cover of my book is actually a Train Wreck cross from Northern California and not OG.

@MrBelvedere - thank you for the breakdown!

@sanvanalona - yes – I smoke a lot actually, I really enjoyed the taste and scent of fresh or I should say, perfectly cured Cannabis every morning. I find it to be a nice way to wake up in comparison to going straight to dabs - which often happens. Although, I had a realization with much of the "dabs" that are generally available, are narcotic because they are made with varieties which are quick flowering: which was similar to the realization I had when I got to Amsterdam in 94, and realized HAZE would wake me up like a morning coffee, as up to the point I only had access to seeds from bags of (supposedly) greenhouse grown buds from Vermont in the early 80s - I spent the 80s growing something that resembles the stink of a skunk.

And of course I know Renée - she was like the opposite of Dave Richards, she wouldn't cooperate and faced prison as opposed to being part of the prosecution against me and Peter. I cannot speak about any of the strains in Vancouver during the years that she was up there, which is 98 on - I was living in California and fighting the prosecution, I self surrendered to prison January 3, 2000, and was only in touch with my friends mostly through mail, although obviously some did visit.

I would also like to point out that the Skunk is a North American animal and not native to the Netherlands - which is probably why the variety of Cannabis that they call "Skunk", smells sweet and so unlike the varieties that we call skunk in North America, which are more putrid and skunk-like. If you're reading this and you have lived in North America, then the chances are you know what it smells like to smell a skunk, it is very difficult to describe, but it is also very reminiscent to certain North American strains of Cannabis.

@soopy - I have grown Chemdog 91 and it is close to OG and I have always thought the were related somewhere along the line: and although Chem has a better yield, OG is brighter in scent and when smoking, and also has better resin development. I get bored of toking Chem and would rather have OG. Attached is a photo of Chem that I took and grew from a cutting going around California.

@MrBelvedere I have grown the Hindu Kush from Sensi Seeds as we had a nice sample at Positronics, although I only watched it flower through 2 or 3 cycles. I was fortunate enough to grow a lot of the Dutch varieties when I was there in 96, as I was working at Posi that entire year with Ol' Ed Holloway (who turned 80 in 1996 - he was credited with teaching Wernard how to grow seedless back in the early 70s and came back as a guest in 96). And I would like to point out that the Hindu Kush in the Dutch gene pool shure does not smell like what we call OG Kush in California - as Hindu Kush sold in Europe often smells sweet - and not piney like the Hindu Kush samples that I have grown/seen in Mendocino in 94' - which I would like to also point out, also does not smell like what we call OG Kush.

My friend was just over visiting and I asked him to describe OG Kush, he also lived in LA in the 90's, and has smoked a lot of OG, he called the taste of OG Kush "Umami". I had to look it up, but I think he hit it dead on:

From Wikipedia: Umami/uːˈmɑːmi/, a savory taste, is one of the five basic tastes (together with sweet, sour, bitter and salty).

So in my opinion:
Hindu Kush - from Amsterdam is sweet almost early Skunk #1-ish
Hindu Kush - from Mendocino, California is more Piney
OG. Kush is Umami - or like a combination of all tastes, it is thick and flavorful.

I have also moved away from describing varieties with the old taxonomy of Sativa & Indica - as Rob Clarke and Mark Merlin lay out the best argument I have read in Cannabis: Evolution and Ethnobotany, and that is that nobody smokes SATIVA - it is simply a Latin suffix used to describe useful plants, there is a Lettuce Sativa L. and nobody smokes that either. The Latin suffix was attached to plants that they were finding most useful or using industrially, ya know - HEMP, so Sativa was describing industrial-use varieties being identified by farmers in Europe.

Whereas INDICA - simply means; of or like India, in fact, many items that originate from India are called "Indica". And because India was the - dare I say it - OG Cannabis capital the world - all of the drug varieties were Indica, in comparison to all of the industrial varieties being tagged with the suffix SATIVA.

Now what are we really trying to describe with the two words is more describable by how North or South the plant originated, such as a very Northern Afghan variety that flowers fast, we call INDICA, and rightly so, because India was once that entire area of the Hindu Kush Mountains and into what is now Pakistan. But if we travel South towards Goa and encountered varieties at the southernmost tip of India, they would have narrow leaves and flower for (one could say countless) weeks because they were equatorial - or simply put, acclimated closer to the equator. But it would all be INDICA, from the southernmost tip of India where Cannabis flowers in as long as 16 weeks (or forever if you are watching it) to the Hindu Kush Mountains where we find some of the shortest flowing varieties of Cannabis in the world. So all drug varieties are basically INDICA.

I would also make the argument that during the 50s and 60s, and much of the 70s, most of America was smoking equatorial varieties of Cannabis: Acapulco Gold, Thai Stick - Vietnam, Mexican, Hawaiian, Jamaican, - all high-energy Ganja, and then in the late 70s and 80s, when breeders started mixing Afghan into pretty much everything they could get their hands on, the Cannabis smoking experience became very (dear I say) polluted with Afghan genetics that produced narcotic like effects and "couch lock" became a term to describe how you felt when you smoked really strong herb. Why? Because growers were looking for the fastest, fattest flowers they could grow. Quick, high yield indoor Cannabis was definitely a product of prohibition, and now that we are seeing quasi-legalization, I would just like to make the argument that people should start looking at setting up perpetual flowering systems and growing flowers that take longer than 8 to 10 weeks to flower. There is a whole new world to be found in Cannabis in some of these later flowering varieties, but the market has to be open-minded and start judging Cannabis not on what it looks like, but instead on how it feels.

I also think that we should start judging cannabis more upon its cannabinoid and terpene ratios and less upon it's flowering time and yield. As some of my favorite varieties are equatorial and will never deliver the same yield of more commercial cannabis, but I really don't care either. I would rather have the high-energy, complexity of an equatorial variety than almost any Northern, quick flowering variety.

@MrBelvedere Unfortunately I have never had my Cannabis returned after a raid and sadly I have lost genetics that are irreplaceable. I will attach a before and after photo of my old mother room, it just sucks and that is why I really recommend people share their genetics with their friends so that if something bad happens to your garden, you can go back around to your friends and gather up your favorite genetics and dust yourself off and start all over.

I hope I got everybody's questions – thank you everybody for the kindness and happy gardening!

OG KUSH
OGK
AFTER
BEFORE
Chem 91 001
sanvanalona

sanvanalona

@HEMPxxx : hell yes, thank you for that awesome advice. I have a way to finish 16-24 week sativa a in an awesome greenhouse environment and am curious if you have any suggestions for real strains that would fit your description I'd love to give them a crack, I completely agree there is a world of treasure to be found in those and I'd like to do some digging.

If you ever get a chance, try the co cut of flo if you haven't already tried. There is something unique and euphoric in her.

Speaking of roadkill skunk it seems to me that people in the states are desiring that trait from diesel and og, do you know of a true roadkill skunk alive?

Stoked to hear that Renee stood tall , I always thought she was a nice person and she had some amazing herb every time I saw her and her crew up there.

I hope your case gets dismissed and you can focus on other cannabis related activities!
Was the Jack you were referencing the cut we call "j1" in the bay?

Top Bottom