The OG and Kush genetics

• Thread starter Lunchables
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

John Ditchweed

Ogers is what it was called when I first heard about it as well. There was mostly just Ogers and Bubba being passed on the sites then. The crosses and s1 pheno's where barely coming about.

Chobble

Chobble

Larrys OG Kush, Loompa's OG Kush (Well kept Northern California strain, I advise finding it) Then check out Rare Dankness, they all have there OG's.

In my opinion what it used to mean is nothing. What it is coming to mean for breeders is more of an "Original" feel. I consider OG's to be a particular cut (Phenotype) that has proven to be truly superior then all the others. We would all want to put our name on our winning strain, so larry and loompa just wanted a little fame for there hard work.

Now one good seedling of a Bubba Kush x Thai Sativa cross could definitely show 60/40 S/I. Which is also another way all these sativa dom hybrids are coming out as OG Kush. For example I have a cut of Larrys OG Kush, it just doesn't yield well but the smell and potency are out of this world.

Ask Ken Este's because he did too, and now he's filthy famous(and rich).

Larry's Original Kush makes some good damn sense to me, but hell, maybe Larry is an original gangster.

While I understand there's been slang for ganj probably since forever. What we need to do as the "professionals" in our industry, is not worry about slang and set basic terms. To me OG will always mean original, giving props to the guy who found the little gem.

*I also dont put a lot of chalk in OG Genetics, they generally arn't anything to special. I do say generally...

Chobble

soserthc1

soserthc1

Larrys OG Kush, Loompa's OG Kush (Well kept Northern California strain, I advise finding it) Then check out Rare Dankness, they all have there OG's.

In my opinion what it used to mean is nothing. What it is coming to mean for breeders is more of an "Original" feel. I consider OG's to be a particular cut (Phenotype) that has proven to be truly superior then all the others. We would all want to put our name on our winning strain, so larry and loompa just wanted a little fame for there hard work.

Now one good seedling of a Bubba Kush x Thai Sativa cross could definitely show 60/40 S/I. Which is also another way all these sativa dom hybrids are coming out as OG Kush. For example I have a cut of Larrys OG Kush, it just doesn't yield well but the smell and potency are out of this world.

Ask Ken Este's because he did too, and now he's filthy famous(and rich).

Larry's Original Kush makes some good damn sense to me, but hell, maybe Larry is an original gangster.

While I understand there's been slang for ganj probably since forever. What we need to do as the "professionals" in our industry, is not worry about slang and set basic terms. To me OG will always mean original, giving props to the guy who found the little gem.

*I also dont put a lot of chalk in OG Genetics, they generally arn't anything to special. I do say generally...

Chobble
very interesting take/opinion on it... was a good read ..peace soser

bongstar

bongstar

wow!!!!! love the chobbles comment! i hated the name OG untill he wrote that, the name gets tossed around frivilously. ive herd it means Ocean grown ive heard it means original ive heard its a line on its own, it was a joke to me untill i read that comment. i agree with this use for it and think this should be considerd the offcial use for it. some one call websters! a great was for a person to distinctify there best cuts! thanks chobble.

Chobble

Chobble

wow!!!!! love the chobbles comment! i hated the name OG untill he wrote that, the name gets tossed around frivilously. ive herd it means Ocean grown ive heard it means original ive heard its a line on its own, it was a joke to me untill i read that comment. i agree with this use for it and think this should be considerd the offcial use for it. some one call websters! a great was for a person to distinctify there best cuts! thanks chobble.
As breeders and growers we can make it the industry standard ;)

Jack Dupp

Jack Dupp

FWIW - My understanding of OG (Ocean Grown) Kush.

San Fernando Valley (SFV)
Fire
Larry
Tahoe
Hell's Angels

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

O.k. this has been handled here before but I will chime in with my 2 cents.

Kush- 100% Indica- they tend to grow short and squat and have huge fan leaves, like mentioned before these are some of the commercially available kushs: Bubba Kush, "so cal" master kush, afpak.......kush leaning hybrids: Purple kush, god bud, and many more.

As for og, it just became some moniker for an unknown reason heard a few different ones (original, ocean grown, other guys, organically grown)......but let me clear this up, internet message boards and disinformation aside there is only 1 og kush that came from either and s1 of chemdog or possibly was a chem x "lemon thai" although I seriously doubt the latter. Either way, og kush is amazing but not really kush at all. As for all these different "cuts" of og most are just hermed seeds from a bag of og kush or like I have seen way too much the same cut by a ton of different names. I can start the blaming there with upstart seed companies that only had og and I believe they named all these supposed cuts to make it appear to the seed buyer that they had more strains than they really did. There is so much b.s. going on about og, I just saw BOG claim that og came from a seed of his sour bubble which is obviously bull. The chem mother, "skunk", was getting grown indoors and in greenhouses up and down Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado from the mid 80's to the early 90's when the rasta crew got popped, some are still in prison serving ridiculous amounts of time.

soserthc1

soserthc1

O.k. this has been handled here before but I will chime in with my 2 cents.

Kush- 100% Indica- they tend to grow short and squat and have huge fan leaves, like mentioned before these are some of the commercially available kushs: Bubba Kush, "so cal" master kush, afpak.......kush leaning hybrids: Purple kush, god bud, and many more.

As for og, it just became some moniker for an unknown reason heard a few different ones (original, ocean grown, other guys, organically grown)......but let me clear this up, internet message boards and disinformation aside there is only 1 og kush that came from either and s1 of chemdog or possibly was a chem x "lemon thai" although I seriously doubt the latter. Either way, og kush is amazing but not really kush at all. As for all these different "cuts" of og most are just hermed seeds from a bag of og kush or like I have seen way too much the same cut by a ton of different names. I can start the blaming there with upstart seed companies that only had og and I believe they named all these supposed cuts to make it appear to the seed buyer that they had more strains than they really did. There is so much b.s. going on about og, I just saw BOG claim that og came from a seed of his sour bubble which is obviously bull. The chem mother, "skunk", was getting grown indoors and in greenhouses up and down Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado from the mid 80's to the early 90's when the rasta crew got popped, some are still in prison serving ridiculous amounts of time.
been you seem to have a handle on the og kush saga or your version - not saying you are not correct , I have asked this a few times and it has gonna unanswered - chem as the story goes got a zip , then had two more shipped to him from a joe band or wonderkid or something like that. its been in books and documented on here my tex or logic i believe well he as the story goes returned 4 seeds to the seller joe/wonder who ever so wouldn't the originator of og be the person who actually grew the weed that the above person sold to chem , has this ever been discussed ? peace soser

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

not sure what you are asking? Are you saying that the originator of og would be the one who sold the weed to chem/joebrand? If that is the question I would say yes. Joebrand was a part of a group of mountain bikers in CO. The strain I believe, and many others who were around back then and now, came from the Jamaican/rasta connection and they simply referred to it as "skunk". The Rastas happened to trust certain "deadheads" and other dreadies throughout co, wy, and mt. They got popped in 1992 or so, which then makes the timeline sensible as to why no one was on message boards and figuring out the relationship between the "skunk" and chem. This relationship was solidified in my mind when I first grew out Chemdog #4 here in cali (which I absolutely love by the way). This is why. My homie who was older than me and down with the rasta crew that went down in 92 had some of their seeds from the "skunk". Out of his seeds he grew a strain he dubbed "twice as spice" which is almost a carbon copy of Chemdog #4, proving to me that the seeds chem had got came from this original "skunk". The "skunk" was much more resembling of sour diesel in smell but og in look.....just a little lighter in color. I hope this helps. Unfortunately, my buddy passed back in 2005 in a horrible incident in MT with the police, so I can not access his seeds to find out what other gems lie inside.

soserthc1

soserthc1

not sure what you are asking? Are you saying that the originator of og would be the one who sold the weed to chem/joebrand? If that is the question I would say yes. Joebrand was a part of a group of mountain bikers in CO. The strain I believe, and many others who were around back then and now, came from the Jamaican/rasta connection and they simply referred to it as "skunk". The Rastas happened to trust certain "deadheads" and other dreadies throughout co, wy, and mt. They got popped in 1992 or so, which then makes the timeline sensible as to why no one was on message boards and figuring out the relationship between the "skunk" and chem. This relationship was solidified in my mind when I first grew out Chemdog #4 here in cali (which I absolutely love by the way). This is why. My homie who was older than me and down with the rasta crew that went down in 92 had some of their seeds from the "skunk". Out of his seeds he grew a strain he dubbed "twice as spice" which is almost a carbon copy of Chemdog #4, proving to me that the seeds chem had got came from this original "skunk". The "skunk" was much more resembling of sour diesel in smell but og in look.....just a little lighter in color. I hope this helps. Unfortunately, my buddy passed back in 2005 in a horrible incident in MT with the police, so I can not access his seeds to find out what other gems lie inside.
yes , that was my question and chem is still around correct and joebrand also , so yes i am saying that whoever grew the weed that joebrand sold to chem would be the originator , thank you for answering , feel free to detail more stories as I love reading the history of cannabis , me personal i think that all weed cane from landrace strain's crossed with other's and the pheno expression's are what make the different strain's , I mean i just grew 4 cuts of the same strain all with a different outcome granted not totally different but all four had a slight difference ... 1 was done in 56 another took 70 think its landrace skunk afgan and luck of the bean , with alot of crossing in between .....

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

yes , that was my question and chem is still around correct and joebrand also , so yes i am saying that whoever grew the weed that joebrand sold to chem would be the originator , thank you for answering , feel free to detail more stories as I love reading the history of cannabis , me personal i think that all weed cane from landrace strain's crossed with other's and the pheno expression's are what make the different strain's , I mean i just grew 4 cuts of the same strain all with a different outcome granted not totally different but all four had a slight difference ... 1 was done in 56 another took 70 think its landrace skunk afgan and luck of the bean , with alot of crossing in between .....
Yeah brother, I love cannabis history as well. It is interesting as the chem family has proven to be the top genetics in the world right now (if you got anything better I would love to try) and all of this from some bagseeds. I know that the rastas are still serving time, I can pm you many links on them if you wish, so maybe someday when they get out we may have some more light shine on us about the origins of their "skunk". As for chem and joebrand, I am not sure if they are still around, chem got on here a little while ago but he hasn't popped up for a minute. I am sure I can ask a friend who knows them.

The GSC is sure fucking with people. From what I can tell, and mind you I have only smoked very little and am growing out my first plant now, the strain is a purple og. I actually love the flavor of it and I think it will grow on me tremendously, but I must admit I think it is subpar to the chem family (sour d, og, c4). That is just my opinion though.

soserthc1

soserthc1

Yeah brother, I love cannabis history as well. It is interesting as the chem family has proven to be the top genetics in the world right now (if you got anything better I would love to try) and all of this from some bagseeds. I know that the rastas are still serving time, I can pm you many links on them if you wish, so maybe someday when they get out we may have some more light shine on us about the origins of their "skunk". As for chem and joebrand, I am not sure if they are still around, chem got on here a little while ago but he hasn't popped up for a minute. I am sure I can ask a friend who knows them.

The GSC is sure fucking with people. From what I can tell, and mind you I have only smoked very little and am growing out my first plant now, the strain is a purple og. I actually love the flavor of it and I think it will grow on me tremendously, but I must admit I think it is subpar to the chem family (sour d, og, c4). That is just my opinion though.
please do ,i can read cannabis history all day and not familiar with them ....

Chobble

Chobble

Swerve from cali connection also claims ownership of OG Kush with his Tahoe. So anyone stating chem created OG needs to get that multiple people have developed an OG Kush. Rare Dankness (If I'm correct) Have multiple OG's from a variety of growers Mrs. Dankness works with.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

Swerve from cali connection also claims ownership of OG Kush with his Tahoe. So anyone stating chem created OG needs to get that multiple people have developed an OG Kush. Rare Dankness (If I'm correct) Have multiple OG's from a variety of growers Mrs. Dankness works with.
no they don't. sorry. And Swerve did not start the og. Most likely the "og" was started in tahoe, by a s1 seed from the chem (Chemdog #4 i think). Multiple people did not create the og, but it was a very guarded cut in the mid 00's and so when people would get a bag of og with a herm seed they would then name the seed after themselves,i.e, jacks og, larry, scott, geoff and every other name you can imagine. What else happened is that these people tried to start seed companies without many different strains, and therefore for marketing purposes tried to label the same cut as many different names. this I have found to be true in my travels.......there is only 1 real og, everything else is just unregulated capitalism at its best....hahaha!

Chobble

Chobble

no they don't. sorry. And Swerve did not start the og. Most likely the "og" was started in tahoe, by a s1 seed from the chem (Chemdog #4 i think). Multiple people did not create the og, but it was a very guarded cut in the mid 00's and so when people would get a bag of og with a herm seed they would then name the seed after themselves,i.e, jacks og, larry, scott, geoff and every other name you can imagine. What else happened is that these people tried to start seed companies without many different strains, and therefore for marketing purposes tried to label the same cut as many different names. this I have found to be true in my travels.......there is only 1 real og, everything else is just unregulated capitalism at its best....hahaha!

Once upon a time there was only one real OG. Now whether you like it or not, their are many. The times change.

The genetic difference presented in a lot of OG's that are provided around the map lead me to believe you are incorrect. As I have also put a lot of time into researching whether your theory was true. While it is true, I accredit OG Kush's development to Chemdog himself I would say that we need to get out of the rut your in and let other people have their original kush.

Also I was one of the nuts trying to get an OG Herm seed. I got a bunch of them three years ago and it was delightful, They wern't mold resistant in my environment so I went and got some more chronic Heirloom varieties.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

Once upon a time there was only one real OG. Now whether you like it or not, their are many. The times change.

The genetic difference presented in a lot of OG's that are provided around the map lead me to believe you are incorrect. As I have also put a lot of time into researching whether your theory was true. While it is true, I accredit OG Kush's development to Chemdog himself I would say that we need to get out of the rut your in and let other people have their original kush.

Also I was one of the nuts trying to get an OG Herm seed. I got a bunch of them three years ago and it was delightful, They wern't mold resistant in my environment so I went and got some more chronic Heirloom varieties.
How do you get many strains out of a clone only plant? I mean seriously times have nothing to do with it. Og is og, that is all. If you grow it then you know it, if not then maybe you take anybody who is willing to sell you seeds at their word. Fact is a strain is a strain, there is only one og kush, if you have a variety of og because of a cross then the parents should be acknowledged. How do you know my theory is incorrect? what theory are you speaking of? the fact that og came from chem? or that there are many og's out there? Even writing that sentence does not make sense.

Top Bottom