The OG and Kush genetics

• Thread starter Lunchables
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Amber

Amber

Hey there everyone and cheers from Tejas! I have a couple simple questions and I apologize if its a repost; I searched and searched but could not find a definite answer.

What are the original OG strains?

Does anyone know what made them (original OG) so "powerful" and can the effects be mimicked in a pure sativa?

Kush: What qualifies a strain to be a "kush" strain? I thought it was pure indica's but I am seeing ind/sat hybrids and would love some clarification.

Thank you in advance,

Lunchables:D
Kush is a mountain region

johnursery

johnursery

I believe chems mother was from massachusets super skunk genes if i remember correctly

green punk

green punk

I also believe that "the" OG came from tahoe. In around 03 or 04 is when I first got a hold of it. Now is that the same as the Tahoe that is ran in multiple crosses? Not sure. JJ just put out Tahoe OG x Tres Dawg. Should be interesting to see what comes from those packs.

Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
If you have ever grown both the original mass super skunk and the real 91 Chemdog they look like they could Def be related. Id actually be shocked if Chemdog didn't have mass super skunk in it or Atleast similar back genetics.

Gotta remember just because chemdog the person traded the 91 chem for the mass super skunk (so the story goes) doesn't mean chemdog made the strain Chemdog. In fact, we all know the story he found it in buds he bought so he didn't create the strain. for all anyone knows the mother of Chemdog could be the mass super skunk.

As far as what I believe(just my thoughts) about og kush. I dont think it has any chem in it at all. Not sure what I really think is in it or what or wjere it comes from. All I do know is from growing many og cuts and almost every Chemdog cut, ill say the og kushes seem to be more stable and Def less likely to herm. So that just makes me think they have nothing to do with one another. Just both real strong nice herbs.

Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
Original mass super skunk (on left). 91 Chemdog skunkva (on right)
IMAG0714

soserthc1

soserthc1

Original mass super skunk (on left). 91 Chemdog skunkva (on right)
View attachment 274599
Damn , SMF is there any strains you don't have any I would concur with you, on both and all chem did was pull some s1 seeds or cross pollinated seeds from a oz of weed that someone else grew , would really put a end to this linage if the person who grew the weed chem dog bought was known huh...

Amber

Amber

All though I'm gonna stand by the mountain range is Kush's orgin I thought I would share a story I heard once about how OG came about. So it was told that when who ever first smoked the OG he took a rip and cough...cough...then afterwards looks up and says, "oh geese" and there you have it og's. Kinda funny theory I thought. I was always told ocean grown was the "truth". Steve Tuck has a little video on seedmine.com explaining that theory.

Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
There are lots of stories about the og kush background.....I don't rule out any of them and like to hear what others have heard always. Makes it somewhat exciting....especially when no one is fighting about it lol..

Here is a mind blower to add to the whole equation....

Chem said when he popped the original seeds he found in the bag of "Chem" he found a male and tossed it as he was young and didn't think to make f2 or do any breeding with it. If infact those seeds he found were from a herm.....they would all be females. No male would be possible to be found in that stock. So my belief is there was a male around and pollen carried to the original strain of buds that chem had bought or that there is someone out there that actual worked the chem line....

Over the years iv stressed a few plants (moving, light leaks ext ext) and got beans from the plant throwing out an occasional nanner. Iv popped tons of these seeds to see what the outcome is and iv yet to ever find a single male.

Just some food for thought....like I always say, I don't know everything and there are tons who know more than I. I just like to share stuff I think about or results I find. ~Smf~

Chobble

Chobble

How do you get many strains out of a clone only plant? I mean seriously times have nothing to do with it. Og is og, that is all. If you grow it then you know it, if not then maybe you take anybody who is willing to sell you seeds at their word. Fact is a strain is a strain, there is only one og kush, if you have a variety of og because of a cross then the parents should be acknowledged. How do you know my theory is incorrect? what theory are you speaking of? the fact that og came from chem? or that there are many og's out there? Even writing that sentence does not make sense.

I've grown multiple OG's and they've been quite different phenotypes. If they where all cuts from the same plant they would be identical.

Oo and let me define theory: "Theory is a contemplative and rational type of abstract or generalizing thinking, or the results of such thinking. Depending on the context, the results might for example include generalized explanations of how nature works, or even how divine or metaphysical matters are thought to work. "

Your theory is a theory because you are saying that there is one OG Kush. It is unproven and has no evidence. A lot of people know that OG kush came from one of Chems cut; What I'm saying though is that other people have created OG Kush's from a special cut in their arsenal. It really isn't that foreign of an Idea.

I met Loompa and Ken Estes at the SF Cannabis cup. One of the questions I asked them was how they got their OG Kush's. They where found much like how Chem found his, Growing multiple seedlings and Phenotyping. The Same way GDP was created.

Chobble.

soserthc1

soserthc1

There are lots of stories about the og kush background.....I don't rule out any of them and like to hear what others have heard always. Makes it somewhat exciting....especially when no one is fighting about it lol..

Here is a mind blower to add to the whole equation....

Chem said when he popped the original seeds he found in the bag of "Chem" he found a male and tossed it as he was young and didn't think to make f2 or do any breeding with it. If infact those seeds he found were from a herm.....they would all be females. No male would be possible to be found in that stock. So my belief is there was a male around and pollen carried to the original strain of buds that chem had bought or that there is someone out there that actual worked the chem line....

Over the years iv stressed a few plants (moving, light leaks ext ext) and got beans from the plant throwing out an occasional nanner. Iv popped tons of these seeds to see what the outcome is and iv yet to ever find a single male.

Just some food for thought....like I always say, I don't know everything and there are tons who know more than I. I just like to share stuff I think about or results I find. ~Smf~
interesting theory never thought of that makes sense .... and yes we are having a discussion without arguing cant do that in a GSC thread ....lol

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

I've grown multiple OG's and they've been quite different phenotypes. If they where all cuts from the same plant they would be identical.

Oo and let me define theory: "Theory is a contemplative and rational type of abstract or generalizing thinking, or the results of such thinking. Depending on the context, the results might for example include generalized explanations of how nature works, or even how divine or metaphysical matters are thought to work. "

Your theory is a theory because you are saying that there is one OG Kush. It is unproven and has no evidence. A lot of people know that OG kush came from one of Chems cut; What I'm saying though is that other people have created OG Kush's from a special cut in their arsenal. It really isn't that foreign of an Idea.

I met Loompa and Ken Estes at the SF Cannabis cup. One of the questions I asked them was how they got their OG Kush's. They where found much like how Chem found his, Growing multiple seedlings and Phenotyping. The Same way GDP was created.

Chobble.
lets not start off on the wrong foot. I am very aware of theory, and the definition. Talking to loompa and ken estes by no means debunks my theory. The legend of og is difficult to prove. Let me ask you a few questions: Are you older than 30? How long have you been growing? Why do you think there are multiple og's, is it because of what these seed breeders are saying? Just curious. There can not be multiple og kush's, it is not a genus of cannabis but a strain.

Chobble

Chobble

lets not start off on the wrong foot. I am very aware of theory, and the definition. Talking to loompa and ken estes by no means debunks my theory. The legend of og is difficult to prove. Let me ask you a few questions: Are you older than 30? How long have you been growing? Why do you think there are multiple og's, is it because of what these seed breeders are saying? Just curious. There can not be multiple og kush's, it is not a genus of cannabis but a strain.

I'm 19. A botany student in Santa Cruz, California. I've been growing for 3 and a half years. I post my backyard grow to share experience I have with others and pick the brains of other skilled cultivators.

I publish a small "newsletter" from the collective I work for as their garden manager handling our mothers and propagation. It doesnt let me add anymore people to the current conversation but I can see about getting you on a second one. Our Master Gardener has his Masters in Botany and has been growing for 35+ Years along with that one of our Board of directors is a Botany professor who has dont so much cannabis related research its not even funny. I put more stock into the science of it. I dont post pictures as I know the owners frown on sites like this(I dont quite understand it but oh well). We only grow our small variety of hierloom strains.

Over the years of volunteering and then getting hired on. I have been educated with more information on our lovely plant then I will probably learn through the rest of my years.

Those heirloom strains beat any OG I have smoked.

I have received archives of Overgrow and read threw all the threads intensely as a lot of good knowledge was lost when the site went down.

Yes their can be more then one OG Kush. I can pick out Larrys OG Kush from Ken Este's OG. They are distinct phenotypes.

I'm just saying that other people developed strains using the OG name, whether its for marketing or not we have to accept that and move on.

Chobble

soserthc1

soserthc1

very interesting Chobble I would of never guessed you were 19 your post are very well spoken and boy would i love to be in your position 19 with 3.5 years experience growing and working in a garden that is outstanding , awesome bro , and i thought this conversation was about to just turn into an argument so i commend you and sanvanalona for not taking it there and you both are correct imho , there is 1 og kush strain just dif phenotype's that ken , loompa , etc have been able to find and name after themselves or claimed as there's .... respect soser

sky high

sky high

What I'm saying though is that other people have created OG Kush's from a special cut in their arsenal. It really isn't that foreign of an Idea.

You hit the nail on the head. THE reason that most "kush" really isn't "kush" is just as Amber correctly notes, Kush is a region where true "Kush" is sourced. It is not an "idea". Kush doesn't come from Californicastan...it comes from Afghanistan!

Most "Kush" today are polyhybrids (or poly-polyhybrids) of God knows what....as evidenced by Chobble's statement that the current practice among "breeders" is to "create" a new strain from an old one and simply call it "kush" to cash in on the current fad. Obviously, the "Oger's" tag wasn't kiddie enough to garner attention, so off we went into Toys-R-Us type naming of strains. "I like "Battlestar Gallactica Kush" myself...but the "Dune Buggy Wheelies" Kush is also very bad ass....

This is the same kinda shit that KILLED Skunk bud in the 80's. Bred completely out of the pool by inexperienced and short-sighted folks out there who were more interested in creating a "new" strain and renaming it than breeding true to the original parent to improve specific characteristics. (I use the term "breeding" lightly. Most guys today selling seeds are not breeders)

Either way....the "Kush" fad will pass. (and the cookie fad may build) Hopefully...before every strain available tastes like fuel and lemons.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

I'm 19. A botany student in Santa Cruz, California. I've been growing for 3 and a half years. I post my backyard grow to share experience I have with others and pick the brains of other skilled cultivators.

I publish a small "newsletter" from the collective I work for as their garden manager handling our mothers and propagation. It doesnt let me add anymore people to the current conversation but I can see about getting you on a second one. Our Master Gardener has his Masters in Botany and has been growing for 35+ Years along with that one of our Board of directors is a Botany professor who has dont so much cannabis related research its not even funny. I put more stock into the science of it. I dont post pictures as I know the owners frown on sites like this(I dont quite understand it but oh well). We only grow our small variety of hierloom strains.

Over the years of volunteering and then getting hired on. I have been educated with more information on our lovely plant then I will probably learn through the rest of my years.

Those heirloom strains beat any OG I have smoked.

I have received archives of Overgrow and read threw all the threads intensely as a lot of good knowledge was lost when the site went down.

Yes their can be more then one OG Kush. I can pick out Larrys OG Kush from Ken Este's OG. They are distinct phenotypes.

I'm just saying that other people developed strains using the OG name, whether its for marketing or not we have to accept that and move on.

Chobble
thanks for the honest answer and it was what i suspected, more or less. I think that in order to have different "phenos" that would mean that there was an actual cross with a mother and a father and some phenos lean mom and others lean toward the dad or outliers that would resemble lineage further back. You see og was never created this way, I live very close to Lake Tahoe and was lucky enough to start smoking og in 04. This is a very distinct strain with a very unique growing pattern. I am very aware that people have basterdized it by now, especially with the hermie seeds but I think to say there are phenotypic expressions within the og is wrong. I also would not take anyone willing to name the og after themselves too seriously, they know the truth of weather they got an s1 or an accidental cross.

heirloom strains?????????/ i am very curious please enlighten me if possible

soserthc1

soserthc1

bowing out ..... good luck i'm just gonna grow dank ass weed and call it what the seeds say for know on and let the this is that stuff alone , if it gets me blasted its good in my book ... somehow i don't believe there is a correct answer to this and by no means do I know it.... or maybe ill make soser og kush

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

This is really depended on if your in a medical state or not IMHO... i like to think i have a pretty good knowledge on MJ , grower , ton's of reading , all the good info from you peeps , and a passion for the plant, and being it is a non -medical state there are times when I need to visit the gangsters if a harvest is not ready or can't flower (was moving) and I have yet to come across any gangster who knows what they are selling , its always Kush , I got the good kush ....lol and I have to bite my tongue and hold back from saying kid you have no idea what you are selling. ex, last time i heard i got the kush it was actually a diesel strain imo......"what's a chemistry nerd doing living in the ghetto" lol.....jk
So basically new jersey gangsters have ALOT in common with cali dispensaries,brother from another mother so to speak...

Latest posts

Top Bottom