Theyre first night out .i hope theyll be ok

• Thread starter DevinA95
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DevinA95

DevinA95

Honestly the best way I have found is to just keep them from your plants maybe you will have luck with something else but nothing I did really stopped them short of physically keeping them away(fence)

You have a really good attitude about this already. Everything you do can be learned from. It takes a lot of time and experience to grow the huge 10 # monster outdoor :)
I appreciate your input. I'm basically just taking this year as a trial run. Its been going way better than I expected. Next year is the serious year lol

Sparky1980

Sparky1980

This is my first grow and today I put 2 of my blueberries outside. I have no idea what to expect but its been raining here on and off for a few days and I dont want it to hurt the plants. Maybe I'm too worried but I've been reading about clay soil not having alot of drainage. I live in appalachia and thats mostly all the soil I can find. Clay and rocky. I dug about 2 feet down and filled the holes with expert gardner soil mixed with some of the clay soil i dug up. Let me tell you that it wasn't fun packing that big ass bag of dirt through the muddy, slippery hills I live around. Let alone sneaking it in. I'm just worried about there first night out. Were supposed to have a low of 63 degrees tonight. How do they look so far?View attachment 1120295View attachment 1120298View attachment 1120297
They should be fine. I've had mine outside for a month or so now and some nights have gotten into the low 40's. They can withstand a cold night - it's prolonged cold that'll kill or stunt them. They look great man!

DevinA95

DevinA95

They should be fine. I've had mine outside for a month or so now and some nights have gotten into the low 40's. They can withstand a cold night - it's prolonged cold that'll kill or stunt them. They look great man!
I appreciate it. Thankfully the days are supposed to all be in the 60s and 70s for the next 2

I appreciate it! Thankfully the days are supposed to be in the 60s and 70s for atleast the next 2 weeks. I hear bubba kush is good for my environment so I wasn't too worried about them but I was unsure of the blueberry.

DevinA95

DevinA95

20210505 083812
20210503 203855

The forecast has changed. Its been raining all night and kind of chilly. I think they may be screwed now. I'm going to try and make it to them tomorrow to see.

Rooke

Rooke

View attachment 1120747View attachment 1120748
The forecast has changed. Its been raining all night and kind of chilly. I think they may be screwed now. I'm going to try and make it to them tomorrow to see.
Heya farmer welcome to the great outdoors! One of the most important factors I’ve learned about growing outdoors is matching your sunrise and sunset times to match your indoor light schedule for your area otherwise if it’s a big change your plants may start flowering on you. What was your indoor lights on and lights off? I have a lab and dog crap deters deer and rodents from going near your plants spread it around your plants in little piles and you’re golden.

DevinA95

DevinA95

Heya farmer welcome to the great outdoors! One of the most important factors I’ve learned about growing outdoors is matching your sunrise and sunset times to match your indoor light schedule for your area otherwise if it’s a big change your plants may start flowering on you. What was your indoor lights on and lights off? I have a lab and dog crap deters deer and rodents from going near your plants spread it around your plants in little piles and you’re golden.
I started with 18/6 light but I slowly adjusted them to 14/10 before they went out. (Changed 30 minutes weekly) my girlfriend is going to cut my hair soon and I'm going to use that for deer also. I dont have a dog so I can't do that lol I'm mainly worried about the night Temps because it wasn't supposed to be that cold when I originally looked at the forecast.

Rooke

Rooke

I started with 18/6 light but I slowly adjusted them to 14/10 before they went out. (Changed 30 minutes weekly) my girlfriend is going to cut my hair soon and I'm going to use that for deer also. I dont have a dog so I can't do that lol I'm mainly worried about the night Temps because it wasn't supposed to be that cold when I originally looked at the forecast.

Rooke

Rooke

Awesome man that’s how I’ve been doing it 5 years ago I messed my times up and they went to flower on me ahhhhhh!
Try to keep them covered at night best you can do until it warms up best of luck buddy there’s lots of great growers on here willing to share quick ideas to help you I would make some poly huts out of 2x2’s or similar to keep them warm.

DevinA95

DevinA95

Try to keep them covered at night best you can do until it warms up best of luck buddy there’s lots of great growers on here willing to share quick ideas to help you I would make some poly huts out of 2x2’s or similar to keep them warm.
I will look and see what I can come up with. Maybe there is something I can leave on it for a few days? They aren't planted near my house and I work mon-fri so its a big chore to go out there before work everyday to uncover them lol

Rooke

Rooke

I will look and see what I can come up with. Maybe there is something I can leave on it for a few days? They aren't planted near my house and I work mon-fri so its a big chore to go out there before work everyday to uncover them lol
Gotcha, they should be fine!

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
From North Cali. 6 foot welded wire and t-post if you’re going to fence the entire garden. And they still might jump it. You can hang all kinds of junk off of it. Temperature doesn’t look bad but a whole full of water won’t help. Watering in holes can be a frustrating endeavor. Get a few 25 gallon AirPots in case you have to abort the holes. Then maybe when they get larger fence the individual plants with 4 foot welded wire. And it can help support them when it rains. Leave room to tend them. A small gas blower to dry them off when it rains during flower. And then there are rats and rabbits to contend with. Growing outdoors back there, you will earn your buds. Good luck my friendAnd don’t be afraid to experiment.

Ollieboy

Ollieboy

That makes me feel a little better. I appreciate it man. I'm going to try and go there today and see what I can do.

Rhubarb, garlic, hot peppers, mint & lavender are also options to help keep pests away. Both bugs & animals. Personally we planted a perimeter of hot peppers last year along with fencing & had no issues with deer or rabbits which are in no shortage on our property.

Redneck wind chimes add some noise & movement which helps keep them on edge & away but can also attract unwanted attention if that’s a concern.

DevinA95

DevinA95

Rhubarb, garlic, hot peppers, mint & lavender are also options to help keep pests away. Both bugs & animals. Personally we planted a perimeter of hot peppers last year along with fencing & had no issues with deer or rabbits which are in no shortage on our property.

Redneck wind chimes add some noise & movement which helps keep them on edge & away but can also attract unwanted attention if that’s a concern.
Thats a good idea about the peppers and definitely worth a shot. Windchimes not so much for my spot. It is a good idea if you're far enough out I'm sure but I dont think I'm far enough. I sneak in and out all the time and try to stay quiet.

Top Bottom