Theyre first night out .i hope theyll be ok

• Thread starter DevinA95
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DevinA95

DevinA95

This is my first grow and today I put 2 of my blueberries outside. I have no idea what to expect but its been raining here on and off for a few days and I dont want it to hurt the plants. Maybe I'm too worried but I've been reading about clay soil not having alot of drainage. I live in appalachia and thats mostly all the soil I can find. Clay and rocky. I dug about 2 feet down and filled the holes with expert gardner soil mixed with some of the clay soil i dug up. Let me tell you that it wasn't fun packing that big ass bag of dirt through the muddy, slippery hills I live around. Let alone sneaking it in. I'm just worried about there first night out. Were supposed to have a low of 63 degrees tonight. How do they look so far?
Theyre first night out i hope theyll be ok
Theyre first night out i hope theyll be ok 3
Theyre first night out i hope theyll be ok 2

Theyre first night out i hope theyll be ok 4
Mostlymooses

Mostlymooses

May 3 might be a little early to plant outdoors. May 15 is usually when we would do it in the mountains on the west coast here and then sometimes with a little supplemental lighting to avoid early flowering.

Where I was had a heavy red clay content and I have planted before using the method you describe, removing ground soil and adding potting soil. You may consider a layer of gravel underneath your soil to aid drainage. I would also consider adding a layer of landscaping fabric for neatness, and chicken wire all the way around your hole so burrowing rodents don't eat your roots and cost you a plant.

Gnick also makes a good point about temp if it frosts your plants will likely die or suffer. Lower temps can cause slow growth and stunting as well
Considerr covering them and supplementing heat, even a cheap pvc hoop house supported on stakes and a propane heater can suffice.

Last edited:
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

May 3 might be a little early to plant outdoors. May 15 is usually when we would do it in the mountains on the west coast here and then sometimes with a little supplemental lighting to avoid early flowering.

Where I was had a heavy red clay content and I have planted before using the method you describe, removing ground soil and adding potting soil. You may consider a layer of gravel underneath your soil the aid drainage. I would also consider adding a layer of landscaping fabric for neatness, and chicken wire all the way around your hole so burrowing rodents don't eat your roots and cost you a plant.
Was curious to lighting for greenhouses. My purpose would be to save money on lights right? I have plenty of indoor space. Wonder how much money I would really save if I wanted to grow in it 24/7. I have so much land lol.. And building space. I want to grow lettuce, potatoes, possibly some corn lol.. Idk my goal is to go off grid to be honest. World's done lost their mind and I want to deal less and less with them.

Mostlymooses

Mostlymooses

The rain is another great argument for covering your ladies, keeping it off them as well as intense wind from storms will save you grief.

DevinA95

DevinA95

should be fine, growth maybe slow until it warms up.
below 55 can do real damage even kill them.
I wasn't planning on putting them out so early but they was out growing my space bucket and getting too close to the light. I put down a bunch of mothballs and a perimeter/ fence of fishing line (heard it would help keep deer out) I'm not sure when exactly the last frost is but as long as they don't die I'll be happy. I have 3 more bubba kush still left to put out. I'll wait a little longer before I put them out. I just needed more room

Mostlymooses

Mostlymooses

I forgot about deer good thinking a fence of some kind is mandatory. They will eat your plants. I've seen huge colas a week from harvest eaten in half.

Mostlymooses

Mostlymooses

You are probably safe from frost but if they are getting less than 12 hours of light they might start to flower on you.

Mostlymooses

Mostlymooses

You can keep plants in a greenhouse from flowering with a 40w incandescent house light, you might want more than that to help them grow when the sun is not shining so brightly though.
Was curious to lighting for greenhouses. My purpose would be to save money on lights right? I have plenty of indoor space. Wonder how much money I would really save if I wanted to grow in it 24/7. I have so much land lol.. And building space. I want to grow lettuce, potatoes, possibly some corn lol.. Idk my goal is to go off grid to be honest. World's done lost their mind and I want to deal less and less with them.

DevinA95

DevinA95

You are probably safe from frost but if they are getting less than 12 hours of light they might start to flower on you.
I've been hardening them off and slowly reducing the light schedule to fit outside as much as possible. This is my first grow and I started way too early. (germination February 23rd) hopefully they don't flower already but I guess I can use it as a learning experience.

DevinA95

DevinA95

I forgot about deer good thinking a fence of some kind is mandatory. They will eat your plants. I've seen huge colas a week from harvest eaten in half.
There's deer trails everywhere man.I guess thats a good sign for human activity though. I'll look into other repellents though. Mothballs don't seem like they'll last that long

Mostlymooses

Mostlymooses

Honestly the best way I have found is to just keep them from your plants maybe you will have luck with something else but nothing I did really stopped them short of physically keeping them away(fence)

You have a really good attitude about this already. Everything you do can be learned from. It takes a lot of time and experience to grow the huge 10 # monster outdoor :)

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
sprinkle human hair (get bags from the barber) around. they dont like the human smell. a well worn not washed athletic sock hung on a stake works too

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
you say appalachia, that runs down to GA and up to NY... where abouts, norther or souther or mid

DevinA95

DevinA95

sprinkle human hair (get bags from the barber) around. they dont like the human smell. a well worn not washed athletic sock hung on a stake works too
I appreciate it. Neither of those should be an issue to get so ill try that too. Also heard Irish spring soap works.

Top Bottom