This Be How Dirbag Do...

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'm not sure I follow? Stomata close when humidity drops too low to prevent over transpiration, or exhaling too much. They also close up at night.
But they do absorb Co2 via an "inhale", so I dont see why water and nutrients cant move that way too.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

I'm not sure I follow? Stomata close when humidity drops too low to prevent over transpiration, or exhaling too much. They also close up at night.

Exactly.

I'm thinking evolutionarily.

Like if the stomata evolved to close in order to not over transpire, then that means that moisture can be pulled out of the plant by the surrounding environment if they weren't closed. Otherwise they wouldn't have that function, they'd stay open all the time.

If moisture can be pulled from the plant by its environment, then logically it should be possible to put it back into the plant the same way.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Exactly.

I'm thinking evolutionarily.

Like if the stomata evolved to close in order to not over transpire, then that means that moisture can be pulled out of the plant by the surrounding environment if they weren't closed. Otherwise they wouldn't have that function, they'd stay open all the time.

If moisture can be pulled from the plant by its environment, then logically it should be possible to put it back into the plant the same way.

Hmmmm, not really, the Relative moisture content inside the leaf is 100%. Its the principle of diffusion where the higher concentration of moisture moves toward the lower concentration, from Inside the leaf to dry air outside.

Mind you if you drench the plant then it would equalize the moisture pressure on both sides of the leaf surface, perhaps allowing the stomata to remain open and nutrients to travel freely through them.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Hmmmm, not really, the Relative moisture content inside the leaf is 100%. Its the principle of diffusion where the higher concentration of moisture moves toward the lower concentration, from Inside the leaf to dry air outside.

Mind you if you drench the plant then it would equalize the moisture pressure on both sides of the leaf surface, perhaps allowing the stomata to remain open and nutrients to travel freely through them.

So for foliar feeding to be the most effective, the environment should be humid enough for the stomata to be open beforehand and remain open throughout the feed?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
So for foliar feeding to be the most effective, the environment should be humid enough for the stomata to be open beforehand and remain open throughout the feed?

I would think so yes. But this would be a good question to ask a true Botanist, I'm not 100% on that. But it would seem to make sense anyway. But honestly once you spray them the stoma would likely open because you're immediately increasing humidity around the leaf surface. Assuming there is some light on them

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Hohohohohhooooooh damn, I think I better flip these before things get carried away. Time to break out the netting!
20200418 183914

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
coco fabrics ftw :)
Dude. Fkn right FTW. The last time I used coco was almost a decade ago, in 3 gallon plastic containers and while it was good, it wasnt like this. Not even close. The 1 gallon fabric pot and multiple waterings makes a HUGE difference. Cant see myself growing with anything else if the flower cycle goes as good as veg.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Dude. Fkn right FTW. The last time I used coco was almost a decade ago, in 3 gallon plastic containers and while it was good, it wasnt like this. Not even close. The 1 gallon fabric pot and multiple waterings makes a HUGE difference. Cant see myself growing with anything else if the flower cycle goes as good as veg.

Oh it will. 1 gals just too ez and cheap. Dropped my ppm's by a point or 2. Yield went up. Qual went up. I love me some damn wool but going the 1 gal route and just tossing the pot and using a new one Im coming out ahead with none of the drawbacks of cleaning pots or coco being everywhere. I'm hella on board like you. Thumbs up my dude. Can't wait to see this one.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

You guys got me thinking about trying out a coco-only grow! Those are some beautiful plants.

It's essentially water and nutes multiple times a day? Water pH at 6.5?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
You guys got me thinking about trying out a coco-only grow! Those are some beautiful plants.

It's essentially water and nutes multiple times a day? Water pH at 6.5?

Honestly I'm running it the same as I did rockwool pretty much. I keep a res of nutrient solution, right now set to 1.4ec 5.8ph, made up of 0.2 lakewater plus 0.1 calcium silicate, brought up to 1.1 ec with pbp grow and then 0.3 ec pbp soil/coco bloom added on top of that.

Irrigation comes on 3 times per light cycle, first time for 2 mins, second and third for 1 min. My light are on 3pm-9am, so right now they get fed at 4pm, 10pm, and 4 am.
I'll need to adjust obviously when I switch to 12/12 tomorrow. Any tips on how to transition the multiple feeds @cemchris? I'm thinking dial it back to two feeds, one two hrs after lights on, and one 4 hrs before lights out. But I'm not sure that theyll slow down the drinking that much...

Ribbit

Ribbit

Out of sheer laziness I think I might have found my favourite curing technique so far. With everything going on lately travelling to Mexico and Nova Scotia I havent had a lot of time to trim my last crop, so I left most of the crop dried on the stem, untrimmed loosely piled in rubbermaid totes for the last 3-4 weeks, with the lid tightly sealed. Im finaly getting around to trimming it and I'm absolutely blown away at how much better it all smells and tastes. I'm floored... All the strains are much smoother and more flavorful than usual. Super impressed.

Im now discovering I've made a big mistake though. I should not have tossed that forbidden zkittlez mom. Oh man what a mistake. When I tried it after a couple weeks drying and a week or so curing I was thoroughly unimpressed. It wasnt very good. But now after the month cure on the stem in a tote, it's nothing short of amazing. Candied fruit and berries and cotton candy flavored smoke. Similar to sin citys spiked punch but sweeter. Really really good. I guess I'll just savor this ounce lol..
I've got more seeds of it to go through so maybe I'll luck out and find it again.

Solipapbu

Solipapbu

You should check out this short doc made about them, it's very well done. Their grow is basically a large scale version of how you grow. They're a great bunch of dudes.
Kevin is a frickin plant wizard. Lots of knowledge dropped in this vid too

dude i just want to say ive spent the last hour or so reading through this thread. Then i come upon this vid and now have 30 mins to watch! Hell yeah dude

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Honestly I'm running it the same as I did rockwool pretty much. I keep a res of nutrient solution, right now set to 1.4ec 5.8ph, made up of 0.2 lakewater plus 0.1 calcium silicate, brought up to 1.1 ec with pbp grow and then 0.3 ec pbp soil/coco bloom added on top of that.

Irrigation comes on 3 times per light cycle, first time for 2 mins, second and third for 1 min. My light are on 3pm-9am, so right now they get fed at 4pm, 10pm, and 4 am.
I'll need to adjust obviously when I switch to 12/12 tomorrow. Any tips on how to transition the multiple feeds @cemchris? I'm thinking dial it back to two feeds, one two hrs after lights on, and one 4 hrs before lights out. But I'm not sure that theyll slow down the drinking that much...

Currently I'm running 3 feed's in 12/12. 25-28 secs (17 plants). 20 mins after lights on. 4 hrs in. then 6 hrs after that. That gives me enough wiggle room for the dryback during lights off without going too dry. I basically tune it for just wet enough till the lights come on almost borderline dry. You can play with that last feed to adjust the lights off dryback. Dropping the feed in the middle will work. first 2 weeks I drop the middle feed. After about week 4-5 I get too much dryback if I drop the middle feed and things start getting crispy for me with my setup/enviro.

The timing is basically right when i see runnoff. I would say I get about 5% first feed and then to 10-20% after that on the following 2 feeds. This is with about a 3-4 week veg time. Bigger plants or ones that sat in veg too long (aka seed runs) I will bump them up to 4. I will split the difference. 20 mins after lights on. 3 hrs after. 4 hrs after. 3 hrs after. I will get quite a bit of runnoff but plants dig it, and as cheap as my nutes are, its easier for me to do this instead of reprogramming my timers for each run (can setup 20 indy cycles in my timers). This way I have all the feeds setup in the timer and I can just turn them on/off depending on what I want to do. Also helps if I'm out of town for a stint and I need someone like my wife to adjust a feed for example. This is also because I run separate rez/timer for each room instead of a central big unit.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Perfect.. that helps a lot actually. I should pick up a more accurate timer someday, mine only does 1 min intervals and I dial it down with a ball valve to get the right amount of flow. Seems to be working out well enough now though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom