Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
yooper420

yooper420

Curmudgeonlander
Supporter
Out of the 3 DS 300`s that I have, only 1 is fully functional, 1 has some LED`s out and the third is inop. My biggest problem was the response that I got Advanced LED`s. It`s outta warranty, it`s obsolete, no repair parts available. They just want to sell me another light. Want to make 1 light out of the 2 broken ones. Time is my problem, as I have too many projects started and not finished as it is. Most due to money, or lack there of.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Out of the 3 DS 300`s that I have, only 1 is fully functional, 1 has some LED`s out and the third is inop. My biggest problem was the response that I got Advanced LED`s. It`s outta warranty, it`s obsolete, no repair parts available. They just want to sell me another light. Want to make 1 light out of the 2 broken ones. Time is my problem, as I have too many projects started and not finished as it is. Most due to money, or lack there of.

That's what I had in mind. Make 1 out of 2. Or canibalise both and put some serious chips/cobs and drivers in there.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Your electronic skills way exceed mine bro.

What do you mean? You just put a light together. Should give you enough self confidence to work on those two units. There are leds and drivers in there. You just need to have a look how many drivers are there and which are functional and go from there. Use whatewer is still functional and not prone to failure (heatsinks, switches, sockets, connectors,..) And replace the rest with some better parts. You could make real 300W lights out of those with some active cooling .

Sell one to cover the costs and keep the other one.

yooper420

yooper420

Curmudgeonlander
Supporter
@yooper420 nice job. How is it working out and does it get hot?

It seems to be kicking ass and as far as heat goes, virtually none. Putting my hand on top of the "pin cushion style" heat sink and can honestly say that it is barely warm to the touch. So far, so good. Putting it another way, I be getting together the funds to buy 3 more kits to replace the LED`s I am using now.

peta1111

peta1111

That's great. I think I am going to pull the trigger on a Timber Grow kit too. Just trying to decide if I should do that or do a bit more work and go w/a MAUI5 kit. Appreciate the feedback on yours.

Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey

Premium Member
Supporter
That's great. I think I am going to pull the trigger on a Timber Grow kit too. Just trying to decide if I should do that or do a bit more work and go w/a MAUI5 kit. Appreciate the feedback on yours.

I just put my mau5 unit together everything top quality. However 2 cobs failed. Maybe just luck of the draw I won't throw them under the bus, great customer service. So hopefully they will replace. Just my experience bro.

IMG 1350
IMG 1344
peta1111

peta1111

I just put my mau5 unit together everything top quality. However 2 cobs failed. Maybe just luck of the draw I won't throw them under the bus, great customer service. So hopefully they will replace. Just my experience bro.

I hope they take care of you. Let us know.

Anyone have an opinion on the Citizen CLU048 Cobs? Is it worth paying the extra for the Cree's?

sixstring

sixstring

I hope they take care of you. Let us know.

Anyone have an opinion on the Citizen CLU048 Cobs? Is it worth paying the extra for the Cree's?

The citi cobs themselves are top notch,its just a matter of what type of holders and or heatsinks your using.theres just more options for the "other stuff" with cree chips.as far as lumens per watt cree vero and citizen are all very close now

Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey

Premium Member
Supporter
Are you sure its not wired wrong or the cob holders are not touching the right spot on the cobs? I have never heard or 2 cree out of 5 being bad.its usually a wiring issue probably 98% of the time

It's wired correctly bro. I double checked every connection during trouble shooting. I have ohm out each wire. Some how they just don't work. I even wore gloves when handling. I emailed the company waiting for a response.

sixstring

sixstring

I would try moving one of the bad cobs to a working position and aee if it lights up.arebyou using ideal chip holders? Current might not be hitting pad on the cobbitswlf even though wire has power

sixstring

sixstring

Man this phones auto correct is retarded lol.anyhow, you could also check to see if the plus (positive ) mark on the cob is lined up with the plus on the cob holder.i have done this wrong myself before haha.
I.just find it hard to believe 2 out of 5 are bad.i have 54 cobs in service from multiple vendors and not a bad one yet so idk what to think.

Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey

Premium Member
Supporter
@sixstring lol it's cool bro believe me I've tried everything u suggested. And I will continue to try to make them work while talking with company. While leds are new to me, wiring and trouble shooting are not. I tracked my power drops to those 2 cobs. They were the first in series so that made it easy. I can take pictures for you, anything u need I however don't wanna high jack this thread. You, Avid, real style are the guys I've been reading from trying to learn so I value all of your opinions. I will never rule out something I've done as this is new tech for me. I was just meaning I took every precaution I knew to take.

Top Bottom