Tired of Seeing Breeders Only Offering Fem Seeds

• Thread starter kolah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kolah

Damn man, I'm shopping for a nice strain to find some good males for breeding purposes and seeing way too many breeders only offering fem seeds..what da hell??? Every strain I want to go with only offers them in fem seeds. C'mon breeders...give us growers some options and put out some regular seeds.

just blowing off some steam.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I feel the same way, I want regular seeds. That said, there ARE those, you just have to remember which breeders are doing regs only (BOG is one who's stated publicly he will not offer feminized seeds), and then I believe that the stuff Loran works on offered through Motarebel would be regs. I was also able to snag some REALLY good regs from Connoisseur Genetics here, this year I'm growing out their Chemwreck and she's starting to really thicken up. Canklewreck may be more like it! Regular seeds on those.

ALL that said, they're offering feminized beans because a lot of growers want that, demand it in fact.

symbiote420

symbiote420

The reason you're/we're seeing so many fems now is not the breeders fault, the main reason is our fellow seed buyer(s)!! Too many folks have limited space & time but surprisingly some peeps just for the life of it don't know how to sex plants and figures fem beans are the "easier" way to assure they get females!!

Oh yeah and some peeps buy em because they believe they will get the same plant as the mom but that's not the case, there's alot of variation in fems too!

Last edited:
derkaderk

derkaderk

I've been searching for next year's beans, and I'm running into the same problem.

Maybe I'm totally wrong, but doesn't this start to paint marijuana cultivation into a corner? Won't the genocide of male mmj plants eventually lead to extinction of stains and eventually the species?

Ok, I'm ripped...haha :happy:

I think the seed companies are doing it for various reasons though. The most nefarious of which would be(imo) male hoarding so they are the only ones with access to pollen for seed creation. This makes the grower continually patronize each year, or anytime they want a new strain.

It's a brilliant business tactic, but detrimental to home growers/breeders....and I think that's the point. With mmj laws becoming more lax, it's only a matter of time before legalization is inevitable. This would create a new influx of gardeners/breeders....for this reason I feel they are trying to corner the maket early.

I have zero evidence, other than seeing the trend in seed distributors available auctions.

WITH ALL THAT SAID....
There are still very reputable breeders and seed companies, just gotta dig

Good Lord I sound like a conspiracy nut:bag:
Btw I realize this is pretty much totally illogical. My fire OG got me on a good one this am.
Derka

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

What cha looking fir in a male? I window shop plenty and stay away from most fems .....and any websites or companies you stay away from? I got about 50packs on my dream window shopping list ;)

symbiote420

symbiote420

I used to think that too but it became apparent to me that businesses have to compete with each other. Fem sales have skyrocketed over the years to the point there's a demand for em!

$$$$$ to be made best to believe somebody's gonna try to make it!! I personally don't dig or make fem seeds myself but they do have their purpose in the community ....a shame about the dual edged sword that comes with them! I have grown plenty before and have had about a 60% success to 40% failure rate with em, solid fems come from solid moms ....we all know most breeders aren't even testing their beans it's just mesh n go nowadays that is hurting things more than fems are!

Last edited:
K

kolah

I think y'all raise good points as to why fem seeds are becoming more available and regs becoming less (supply/demand, protection of the strain, space and time limitations, etc)

One of the main reasons I am now starting to get into the breeding/pollenchucking aspects is because I am wanting to create my own seedbank should regular seeds start becoming harder and harder to acquire. My entire lifestyle is one of self sufficiency so it's only a progression for me to start creating my own seed bank.

I am fine with breeders creating fem seeds but I just wish they would continue to make regs available.

Now excuse me while I go out and hand pollinate some Big Bud x DubKing pollen on a GSC Forum x BB/DK female. Also gonna knock up a BB x DK female with the same BB x DK. ;)

Last edited:
K

kolah

What cha looking fir in a male? I window shop plenty and stay away from most fems .....and any websites or companies you stay away from? I got about 50packs on my dream window shopping list ;)

I am getting some Humbolt Blue Dream seeds and want to breed it out and tone it down with a heavy leaning indica. I was searching for a purp but fuckin a...all the ones I want are either fem only or impossible to acquire (out of stock or out of production)

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I'll hit you up when I find a chingon company that offers purple afghani regs, I been searching for those intensely!

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Plant counts also have driven up the use of fems,sometimes you have to bust alot of beans to get the number of females your looking for and like sym says for some its just the easy way out.
I think I agree ....I need more experience with gems before I say that there's the same struggle just different set of challenges leaving you or us with the same limited females to choose from....just my opinion

K

kolah

as far as fem seeds go, I don't care for some of the methods used to produce them. I think getting fem seeds "au naturale" is quite safe ( by letting a flowering plant go past it's peak which forces it into self preservation and production of female pollen and female seeds) And quite possibly it's OK using colloidal silver (although from what I've read this has risks as well). But some of the other chemicals used to induce fem seeds I highly question. OTOH I do have have enough knowledge about fem seed techniques and chemicals used to back my opinion.

K

kolah

Well you (I) probably don't want a male from the majority of the latest and greatest strains. I'd look at genetics from the late 90's to the early 2000's for breeding stock.

You may be right. I grew out Sensi Seed's Afghani #1 a few years back (which still comes in reg seeds) ...it was 100% indica, grew well up here in the cold temps and high elevation, finished in 50 days and produced huge yields. But I guess I am looking for something a bit more exotic ...which may be a challenge.

V

VEGBLOOMWSUP

because working a stable male female line takes a few generations, and its a lot easier to spray a plant and reverse a 4x4 tent, end up with 10 thousand beans easily if done right.

who would work two extra years? people are buying the untested fems all day why would someone stop? rake in that cash.

K

kolah

good points.... and yeah like any other business some guys are in it solely for the money.....yet I'd like to believe there are some who are diehard passionate about putting out a topnotch product. Because in the longrun it's quite possible they'll get top dollar for their years of hard work ( ie DJ Short) This is not to say that I personally think DJ's gear is the greatest but he is just one of the breeders whose name gets praised quite a bit...and gets a good return on his seeds. OTOH a lot of youngblooders are coming into the scene and getting the big bucks as well. The seed market is a hot one and continues to thrive.

side note: I have grown a couple of DJ's strains, his Blueberry and his Vanilluna (aka) Vanilla Moon and thought they were very good. Worth the extra bucks? dunno. Exotic? Yes....especially the VM.

Last edited:
Plasma

Plasma

They're probably sick of people complaining about getting males! Still you think they could offer both and that would negate any complaining...

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
alot of the clone only strains dont have males so if you want a certain strain it would take a few years to make it available. but with fem crosses its pretty easy to give a decent replica with just a few sprays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom