Tired of trainwrecking other peoples threads? Well then, come party at the captains! Trainwreck this thread with…….trains? Anything goes here……….

• Thread starter Captspaulding
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

ILgrower

When I was a competitive swimmer.. my showers smelled like a pool for almost a year after I stopped🤣🤣
you weren't the only swimmer, I have done tournaments in Diving swimming laps and my favorite was gymnastics, I was on the Olympiad team my only regret is that I ended up quitting, but I didn't stop growing, never knew my work at tech school in horticulture would come in handy,

Bilber

Bilber

Hey Putt.....I fill a few apple juice containers with water to let them sit....I'll use them and still need to use fresh.....if a plant doesn't like it, ✂......I'm looking for plants that thrive in my atmosphere/area....if you can't handle the heat, or lack there of, get outta the grow area!

Otto Bonn

Otto Bonn

If we do any luttice it’s always a leaf variety but haven’t in 2 years, we did do some mustard greens last season but the gardens are begging for some plants 🤣, the smaller garden on the other side of the yard expanded to about 16’x16’ over by the fruit trees when I was tilling down for the year I like to sneak an extra few feet of garden expansion in without the missus knowing each year, so that may be the experimental garden this year, hopefully those trees drop some fruit this year, they should start this year or next year, we know one peach tree will fruit as it did its first fruit out last year so the others should be close as well. Wife wants some grape vines up next.

Planning to get the veggie stand up for the maters again this year so we’ll need a lot

Wife has big dreams for tons of tomatoes this year, so I’m gunna reduce how many peppers I do, never use em all haha, but tomatoes are easy to sell on the side of the road besides what we preserve, we still have zucchini bread etc frozen from last year, here’s some me of my wife’s specialties, chocolate zucchini bread, (my son thinks it’s chocolate cake it’s 100% zucchini bread with coco and chocolate chips) then apple bread both fresh outta the freezer and taste like the day they were baked lol)
Chocolate Zuke bread is fantastic!
Nice garden setup!, I can't wait for Spring to get here

MartyMcFly42oh

MartyMcFly42oh

I leave a five gallon with the lid off and I can still smell it a few days later and try to use gallon pitchers with those the next day that chlorine smell is gone.
You have to aerate the water to get the chlorine to break down, I’d suggest going to a pet store and getting an air pump, stone and hose. It might set you back about $20. It can also be used when you’re brewing any compost teas. Definitely a good investment to make, especially when growing organic. Your microbes are the ones doing all the work to break down your soil to feed your plants. Pouring chlorinated water into your soil can kill those hard working microbes.

MartyMcFly42oh

MartyMcFly42oh

I used r.o water on all of my other grows but based on the advice on this forum I switched to tap. I did use r.o in seedling and solo cup. They been on tap since. If I recall correctly the two smaller ones started getting tap in the solo cup. None of them have ever been served a cup of my public swimming pool water disguised as drinking water 😁 what I mean by that is I have always let it evap.
Tap is relative to its origin. You can have well water from the tap, municipal water from the tap, filtered and or Reverse osmosis from the tap that can be well or municipal.

Rama777

Rama777

If we do any luttice it’s always a leaf variety but haven’t in 2 years, we did do some mustard greens last season but the gardens are begging for some plants 🤣, the smaller garden on the other side of the yard expanded to about 16’x16’ over by the fruit trees when I was tilling down for the year I like to sneak an extra few feet of garden expansion in without the missus knowing each year, so that may be the experimental garden this year, hopefully those trees drop some fruit this year, they should start this year or next year, we know one peach tree will fruit as it did its first fruit out last year so the others should be close as well. Wife wants some grape vines up next.

Planning to get the veggie stand up for the maters again this year so we’ll need a lot

Wife has big dreams for tons of tomatoes this year, so I’m gunna reduce how many peppers I do, never use em all haha, but tomatoes are easy to sell on the side of the road besides what we preserve, we still have zucchini bread etc frozen from last year, here’s some me of my wife’s specialties, chocolate zucchini bread, (my son thinks it’s chocolate cake it’s 100% zucchini bread with coco and chocolate chips) then apple bread both fresh outta the freezer and taste like the day they were baked lol)
Got a question for ya’.

Mind if I make a suggestion? Everytging is contextual so please don’t think I’m telling you that you’re doing anything “wrong.”

But anyways, when you pull your summer crops out in the fall or even early winter (all things climate dependent..), you could immediately plant winter kill cover crops (turnips, one specific type of mustard, certain peas, tillage radish, etc.) and then (again climate dependent..) about 4-6 weeks before your transplant time, cover it with your mulch plastic when the ground is moist but not wet, and not dry, then pull it up, add compost if you use it, and plant right into/around your debris. Your soil biology will love you, you’ll need way less inputs over time and basically you can stop tilling. Just some ideas, not criticisms..

Another option is to source straw that has not been sprayed if you don’t want to do cover crops, cover with plastic at the proper soil moisture level, then just pull back the plastic at transplant time and plant in and around the debris.

MartyMcFly42oh

MartyMcFly42oh

When I was a competitive swimmer.. my showers smelled like a pool for almost a year after I stopped🤣🤣
My girlfriend and her kid are in a pool five to seven days a week. I’m familiar with the random swimming pool smells 🤣

MartyMcFly42oh

MartyMcFly42oh

Got a question for ya’.

Mind if I make a suggestion? Everytging is contextual so please don’t think I’m telling you that you’re doing anything “wrong.”

But anyways, when you pull your summer crops out in the fall or even early winter (all things climate dependent..), you could immediately plant winter kill cover crops (turnips, one specific type of mustard, certain peas, tillage radish, etc.) and then (again climate dependent..) about 4-6 weeks before your transplant time, cover it with your mulch plastic when the ground is moist but not wet, and not dry, then pull it up, add compost if you use it, and plant right into/around your debris. Your soil biology will love you, you’ll need way less inputs over time and basically you can stop tilling. Just some ideas, not criticisms..

Another option is to source straw that has not been sprayed if you don’t want to do cover crops, cover with plastic at the proper soil moisture level, then just pull back the plastic at transplant time and plant in and around the debris.
I run the same 12 seed cover crop in my large fabric pots inside as I do in my pallet container beds. No exposed soil, and nitrogen fixing. Keeps the soil healthy.

Rama777

Rama777

It’s that exposed soil that’ll fuck everything up. Speaking of, I totally botched the soil in my 50’ greenhouse this year. Won’t have to till but it’s gonna cost me a good bit of compost..

MartyMcFly42oh

MartyMcFly42oh

It’s that exposed soil that’ll fuck everything up. Speaking of, I totally botched the soil in my 50’ greenhouse this year. Won’t have to till but it’s gonna cost me a good bit of compost..
Have you ever used alfalfa meal or feed pellets as a soil amendment?

Rama777

Rama777

I buy 100 pounds of alfalfa meal every year :)

At every bed flip the soil gets a mix of alfalfa, kelp (until I run out and then I’m discontinuing that..), fish meal, feather meal and humic acid.

If I’m transplanting then I drop some of the mix into each hole.

If it’s a long season crop, I will direct inject the dry meal mix adjacent to the crops a couple of times through the season with an earthway seeder.

I do my best to foliar spray a rotation between fish emulsions (fast action) and organic solubles (slow action) once a week.

That’s pretty much the entirety of my fertilizing regimen, besides compost additions when and where necessary or corrective foliars of calcium and/or trace minerals.

I could get better yields by getting some of the fish emulsion into the soil as opposed to foliar, but so far I haven’t figured out how to make that efficient for myself.

I recommend getting the fish emulsions into the roots as opposed to foliar feeds if you have the time.

MartyMcFly42oh

MartyMcFly42oh

Another plant food for thought, is composted horse manure vs composted cow manure. I know a few people who use the horse shit and have great results. I heard it explained that horse shit is less refined than cow shit.

Rama777

Rama777

Another plant food for thought, is composted horse manure vs composted cow manure. I know a few people who use the horse shit and have great results. I heard it explained that horse shit is less refined than cow shit.
A couple things about horse manure. One, it will have weed seeds unless you hot compost it. Most people just age it so the weeds are still there.

Two, unless you fucking KNOW the person who you are getting it from and trust them, you should absolutely assume it is contaminated with herbicides and not even think twice about considering using it.

People’s gardens are getting ruined more and more and more and more each year by getting contaminated shit. Don’t risk it. Stay vigilant. It’s no joke.

Rama777

Rama777

Oh and one more note on the manure comparison. The best compost is the compost you can trust, followed by the price, and only then followed by any musings over what you think may or may not be better for this or that reason.

cpurola

cpurola

Oh and one more note on the manure comparison. The best compost is the compost you can trust, followed by the price, and only then followed by any musings over what you think may or may not be better for this or that reason.
I plan to dig up sod that has been untouched for 50 years, except for occasional mowing and plant my pot in it.
The plots will be 3 by 3, leaving 8 feet between them so hubby can drive the John Deere and mow the weeds every couple of weeks.
I wanted to buy local compost but I really don't trust what may be in it. Can you recommend a course of action that will improve the soil without breaking the bank?
BTW, I do not have a compost pile. Tried that years ago and I'm too lazy to go out there and turn it during the winter. And I never seem to have the correct ratio of brown and green and kitchen scraps.

Rooke

Rooke

A couple things about horse manure. One, it will have weed seeds unless you hot compost it. Most people just age it so the weeds are still there.

Two, unless you fucking KNOW the person who you are getting it from and trust them, you should absolutely assume it is contaminated with herbicides and not even think twice about considering using it.

People’s gardens are getting ruined more and more and more and more each year by getting contaminated shit. Don’t risk it. Stay vigilant. It’s no joke.
Just wondering what I should do with my horse manure it’s been 2 years since I had any horses, last year I put a spade of it into 20 litres of water let it sit for an hour then strained it and poured it on my tomato plants and they loved it I repeated it 2 weeks later and it boosted them again. O I put some on the carrots and they loved it.

Top Bottom