tobh goes swimming Dutch style

• Thread starter tobh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tobh

tobh

Supporter
I just did the 3ml/gal as that seems to be general consensus for use of unstable h2o2. I read on multiple sites that up to 5ml/gal is ok, you just need to make sure the h2o2 is thoroughly mixed in your solution before running another fertigation cycle.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Another quick update. Day 32 since flip. I keep having to check myself, thinking I've got some funk that I missed when showering. Can't rule that out, but it's likely the girls. Stem rub/bud squeeze is a sweet candy type smell, but outside the tent is the classic grow funk. Res change out this evening. I dropped light schedule to 11/13 on Sunday and depending how the girls look Saturday, I may start the MOAB regimen or wait till next weekend.

PXL 20210204 003520043

PXL 20210204 003531496

PXL 20210204 003539503

PXL 20210204 003555879

PXL 20210204 003619051

PXL 20210204 003737734

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Another quick update. Damn lights turned out on me while I was doing the res change out. Thought I had time. Oh well, snagged some pics. The frost is coming on, definitely the frostiest plants I've ever grown. Hydro is the cats elbows, boys!

Also sharing some progress on the cactus collection. Seedlings movin along, despite some abuse I dished out over the past couple weeks.

PXL 20210204 025105689

PXL 20210204 025112062

PXL 20210204 025118231

PXL 20210204 025126321

PXL 20210204 025132916

PXL 20210204 025138295

PXL 20210204 025143722

PXL 20210204 025148657

PXL 20210206 003107786

PXL 20210206 003116554

PXL 20210206 003123409

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Time for another update, sorry I haven't posted much since last week. Been crazy busy with interviews, planning for purchasing some land, and work consuming my life. Anyways, did the res change out I should've done yesterday today, and based on how the girls are looking, went ahead and opted to start the MOAB a few days earlier than planned. That'll allow me to bump the ratio up more, sooner, than if I'd waited.

Instead of going full strength from the word go this time since I burned the girls a bit when I applied it earlier this run, I went ahead and went with quarter strength to start. I dropped the main two-part feed by 25% by volume as well to accommodate for the potency of MOAB.

Per the label it recommends:
5ml - 10ml (1 tsp - 2 tsp) per 5 gallons of solution.

This table is for anyone else in the future that is using this so that they're not running into the same mathing needs like I have

5ml (10ml) = 6.5 grams (13 grams) / 5 gallons
1.3 grams (2.6 grams) / gallon for full strength

As of today, I used 0.325 grams / gallon. This came out to the following feed levels to 12 gallons:

36ml h2o2
60ml Protekt
40ml Phosphoric acid
Part A 33 grams
Part B 29.7 grams
MOAB 3.9 grams
10ml Phosphoric acid
85ml Hygrozyme

Final volume: 850 ppm (1.7 EC)

There is some bleaching happening on a few of the buds, but I don't anticipate that being an issue. I'm stuck dealing with the foxtailing as well as (a) it's not a significant problem for me personally and (b) I'd rather keep the light penetration getting down lower into the canopy than have picture perfect topside flowers. It is what it is.

The frost is strong, definitely the frostiest flowers I've ever grown, the smells are on point, and they're starting to get floppy so I'm good with the trade offs.

Anyways, here's some pictures.

PXL 20210210 213401775

PXL 20210210 213431967

PXL 20210210 213440291

PXL 20210210 213451468

PXL 20210210 213508466

PXL 20210210 213524075

PXL 20210210 213616310

PXL 20210210 213626666

PXL 20210210 213635310

tobh

tobh

Supporter
@Aqua Man @1diesel1 @MIMedGrower one of you (maybe all of you) were in a thread a few months ago mentioning steering plant growth per plant growth phase by manipulating different parameters. I can't for the life of me remember where that info was though.

With the approach of week six, I'm looking to plot out the next three to four weeks for an as-successful-as-one-could-wish-for finish to my first hydro endeavor. Would any of you, or anyone else for that matter, be able to link a brotha up with some good reads? Preferably science-y content, there's plenty of garbage stoner blogs that spew a bunch of, well, garbage about the topic. I'm after empirical data, if you know what I mean.

My google searches are turning up bullshit, and apparently my keywords aren't jiving with the search here.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Aqua Man @1diesel1 @MIMedGrower one of you (maybe all of you) were in a thread a few months ago mentioning steering plant growth per plant growth phase by manipulating different parameters. I can't for the life of me remember where that info was though.

With the approach of week six, I'm looking to plot out the next three to four weeks for an as-successful-as-one-could-wish-for finish to my first hydro endeavor. Would any of you, or anyone else for that matter, be able to link a brotha up with some good reads? Preferably science-y content, there's plenty of garbage stoner blogs that spew a bunch of, well, garbage about the topic. I'm after empirical data, if you know what I mean.

My google searches are turning up bullshit, and apparently my keywords aren't jiving with the search here.
I dont have much info on crop steering. More toying with it. The info I did get came from @Dirtbag

tobh

tobh

Supporter
He's the man who you go to when you have a complicated question.
I'm 14 hours burnt on highly technical shit (day job) and three glasses deep in whisky so I tagged the smartest fuckers I could remember on here lol @Aqua Man giving me the right term to search for has been much more productive in search results. Now that I'm digging into it, it might be a "next time" thing.

Really, my main concern at this point is should I be bumping up the EC for the next couple weeks (progressively) until week 8, then progressively drop EC to 0 by harvest?

If I follow 90% of the guides, at this stage EC should be at 2.2, but that's insane to me. By week 8, it should be at 2.5, absolutely unspeakable to me. I'm thinking top out at 2.0 by week 8, then taper rapidly until week 10, then the plants will be ready for teh chop chop.

Fundamentally, what is the timing for reducing feed in late flower in RDWC for an adequate fade (flush without the snake oils) without devastating yield? How can I "steer" these plants to maximum potential within the constraints of their circumstances?

This run has predominantly been about justifying the obscene amount of money I've spent on grow gear -- I need weight and frost equally. I know these girls are going to bulk up a lot more by then, but if I can get em to weigh like they've been juicing, that'd be ideal. Arnold buds, ya know?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

Ill try and find something techy, but dont look for cannabis specific information just look for general crop steering techniques for fast growing annuals.

Some basic ones are;
-increasing phosphorus levels one week/few days before initiating flowering and keeping it slightly elevated until the plants stop stretching. After that reduce it back to vegetative rates.

-at the end of stretch reduce growroom temperature by about 5 degrees celcius during lights on and keep it there for around 3 days. At the same time, drought stress them by first giving them a good flush with a reduced ppm (50-60% of normal ec) and then letting the media dry up until its alarmingly light and almost completely dry. About to wilt, like reaaalllly hold out on watering again until its necessary. Do the drought stress in any media, Rockwool, Coco, FFOF, Promix,... doesnt matter, should work for all but obviously it will be like 2 days in a Hugo or 4 or 5 in FFOF depending on container size.
You can cold and drought stress them again around week 7. Nice if you can do them together so the reduced transpiration from the cold lets them dry a bit slower.

When you feed them after the drought go full stregth ppm like you were feeding before the drought, plus 5-10%. The difference in the ion concentrations inside the plant and outside are pretty drastic at that moment and theyll draw up a ton of nutes.

A single dose of increased Phosphorus can also be used near the end of flower to trigger senescense. Just dont keep giving it P, one dose is all it really needs and more will make it burn like shit with black ash etc.. But some well respected growers dont like the idea of prematurely ripening plants. That said, ive had a couple strains that would never seem to be done at the same time and would just keep pumping out new flowers and white stigmas. For those stubborn finishers a shot of P to the belly can sit them down.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'm 14 hours burnt on highly technical shit (day job) and three glasses deep in whisky so I tagged the smartest fuckers I could remember on here lol @Aqua Man giving me the right term to search for has been much more productive in search results. Now that I'm digging into it, it might be a "next time" thing.

Really, my main concern at this point is should I be bumping up the EC for the next couple weeks (progressively) until week 8, then progressively drop EC to 0 by harvest?

If I follow 90% of the guides, at this stage EC should be at 2.2, but that's insane to me. By week 8, it should be at 2.5, absolutely unspeakable to me. I'm thinking top out at 2.0 by week 8, then taper rapidly until week 10, then the plants will be ready for teh chop chop.

Fundamentally, what is the timing for reducing feed in late flower in RDWC for an adequate fade (flush without the snake oils) without devastating yield? How can I "steer" these plants to maximum potential within the constraints of their circumstances?

This run has predominantly been about justifying the obscene amount of money I've spent on grow gear -- I need weight and frost equally. I know these girls are going to bulk up a lot more by then, but if I can get em to weigh like they've been juicing, that'd be ideal. Arnold buds, ya know?

Calm down on the nutes, less it almost always better. By mid flower i almost NEVER go over 1.3 ec in any media. I dont use Co2.
Ill keep it at 1.2-1.3ec and monitor runoff ppm. Usually around week 6 or 7 ill notice it stops eating as much and runoff numbers climb. So ill back it off to 1.1-1.0.. and taper it to .7 or so by the end of week 8. Once the buds look like theyre mostly done, i just give them 2 or 3 feeds of plain water over the course of 10 days, give or take a few days. Less in hydro or coco, maybe a couple weeks in soil. But, that topic is still being debated even amongst the sciency types as far as I know. Im not a scientist, just a homegrower but from what little ive done to experiment Im still partial to water only finishes.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Calm down on the nutes, less it almost always better. By mid flower i almost NEVER go over 1.3 ec in any media. I dont use Co2.
Ill keep it at 1.2-1.3ec and monitor runoff ppm. Usually around week 6 or 7 ill notice it stops eating as much and runoff numbers climb. So ill back it off to 1.1-1.0.. and taper it to .7 or so by the end of week 8. Once the buds look like theyre mostly done, i just give them 2 or 3 feeds of plain water over the course of 10 days, give or take a few days. Less in hydro or coco, maybe a couple weeks in soil. But, that topic is still being debated even amongst the sciency types as far as I know. Im not a scientist, just a homegrower but from what little ive done to experiment Im still partial to water only finishes.
Awesome! Thank you for writing this out, that's exactly what I was looking for. Appreciate you sharing your knowledge, sir!

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

I keep having to check myself, thinking I've got some funk that I missed when showering. Can't rule that out, but it's likely the girls.
LMAO I have been sitting down to feed or whatever and smell that funk! I've been thinking its because I've just been working all day and need a new pair of socks!

That white might actually be a mutation with extra trichomes. i swear i saw a video of this and they tested it and it was significantly higher in thc. I just don't remember where or when i saw the video and its not in my history. Memory is fuzzy... may be the concentrate i'm vaping

tobh

tobh

Supporter
LMAO I have been sitting down to feed or whatever and smell that funk! I've been thinking its because I've just been working all day and need a new pair of socks!

That white might actually be a mutation with extra trichomes. i swear i saw a video of this and they tested it and it was significantly higher in thc. I just don't remember where or when i saw the video and its not in my history. Memory is fuzzy... may be the concentrate i'm vaping
Haha glad I'm not alone. The struggle is real, man. Like Redman said in How High, dudes got some shit on his lip. Not sure if it's my finger or the girls in the tent, but I'll deal with it either way.

When the bleaching first started (and I talked to the breeder about it) I wasn't positive I was seeing it. The trichome production is off the charts at this stage based off the last run I did with this strain. I can't seem to capture it in pics, but the buds look fuzzy in person. But as the foxtails have progressed, the bleaching is more pronounced, and the breeder confirmed it's for sure due to light intensity. He hasn't seen any albinoism in any of the lineage, though the father line was a prolific producer of foxtails. Either way, I think it'll make for some unique bag appeal come cured product stage.

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

Ok I was wrong. That's my feet. I get home from work go straight to work in my grow room and forget to change my socks. My feet fucking stink

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Snagged some pics for a brother down south, thought I'd mess around in GIMP a bit on the bud shot. I've gotta dedicate some time during my PTO next week and figure this out. Removing the shakiness from my pics (have determined that's where a lot of the fuzziness is coming from) is proving challenging, but I think if I sit down and figure out how to sharpen them up, I'll actually get to a point of being satisfied..

PXL 20210212 235942976

This is the one I edited. Hit just about every color adjustment I could, and applied a few filters to sharpen it up a bit, but that's just surface level editing. Anyone have some tips to share with a fledgling photographer?
PXL 20210212 235955549

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

Those shots look great! Especially the establishing shot. That's one that I find extremely difficult to get in detail because the camera's dynamic range is far less wide than the what the human eye can take in.

It seems that is where your camera has the advantage. Whereas my S10 gets some clean close up shots, I struggle to get a "family photo" without blowing out the whites and/ or washing out the blacks.

Some post processing could potentially recover some of this data for my shots, especially if the file is raw, but I'm not looking to spend tons of time on these. High times cover can wait.

So like I said, the wide shot - you nailed it but I think you would agree that the close up shots, while good, are missing something.

And I don't think your issue is gear.

Focus more on composition, framing. Get in tight, and fill up the frame.

Also, pay attention to the angles and make a note of the angle of light vs the sharp edges of the plant that cast shadows onto the juicy crystalline bud structure below.

One thing that makes this easier for me is zooming in to 2x which should increase the focal length of your lens . Any further on my phone and things start to get pixelated and artifacts appear because it starts to digital zoom past that I think. YMMV

When you increase the focal length you also get a really cool compression of the foreground (bud) and the background. You also get those nice pleasing out of focus backgrounds because of this and better separation of your subject.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Those shots look great! Especially the establishing shot. That's one that I find extremely difficult to get in detail because the camera's dynamic range is far less wide than the what the human eye can take in.

Yeah, that group shot is always a rough one, and still I am dissatisfied with the lack of sharpness in them. Since I've figured out by cutting the lights down to 25% that they work quite a bit better for getting more natural color photos, it's been helpful, but those group shots are blurry to me. Even at 100% (the resolution is massive on these pics) it's obvious the camera's software struggles to process everything it's seeing. I think that's where a DSLR would really shine.

So like I said, the wide shot - you nailed it but I think you would agree that the close up shots, while good, are missing something.

And I don't think your issue is gear.

Focus more on composition, framing. Get in tight, and fill up the frame.

I can definitely agree with that. The cameras on the pixels are their biggest selling points. Even the settings that can be adjusted are really impressive for nothing more than a phone camera. My biggest struggle, especially since I have chronic tremors, is getting my hands stable enough to catch the shot I'm after.

That being said, you're right, it's not the gear. It's the operator that's having issues. I used to have a clip on tripod and have caught some really impressive photos of landscapes, flowers, birds, etc, but it broke a while back and I've noticed a decline in the picture quality as a result.

Also, pay attention to the angles and make a note of the angle of light vs the sharp edges of the plant that cast shadows onto the juicy crystalline bud structure below.

One thing that makes this easier for me is zooming in to 2x which should increase the focal length of your lens . Any further on my phone and things start to get pixelated and artifacts appear because it starts to digital zoom past that I think. YMMV

When you increase the focal length you also get a really cool compression of the foreground (bud) and the background. You also get those nice pleasing out of focus backgrounds because of this and better separation of your subject.
The bud shot was done with 2x, actually. But like I said, my tremors fuck it up because when looking at the scale of a trichome, even a nanometer of movement while the shutter is doing its thing is going to blur out the detail. I'm thinking that can be overcome by doing multilayer editing, and really sharpening up the contrast with high pass filters, proper level adjustments, and generally good quality edits.

I'm really trying not to compare myself to the likes of Dooby Duck, but at the same time, I'm an artist at heart. Photographs are just an extension of painting to me, with a different kind of "heart" behind them. Cannabis makes for a great subject to hone the skills on as they're probably some of the most complex targets to shoot.

Really appreciate the input, man!

Top Bottom