tobh goes swimming Dutch style

• Thread starter tobh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tobh

tobh

Supporter
that's what I've read about most thai strains, they get leggy and have seemingly endless stretch. def on my list to get ahold of some though. I chose Yunnan Dragon as one of the strains which is a Chinese landrace hybrid so hoping to get into some of those nice sativa highs like the rest of you guys.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Water isn't dropping as fast, so they're slowing down drinking. pH continues to drop, but I think that's because there's not enough alkalinity in my tap water to combat the effect of the phosphoric acid over time. 200 ppm has been stable -- I didn't complete drain the res like I have been throughout the entire cycle, just been topping up with water as needed. Trichomes are all pretty much cloudy now, but still a bit of clear on the lower buds. Amber trichomes near the tops of some of the flowers with increasing presence by the day.

PXL 20210305 181417960

PXL 20210305 181427595

PXL 20210305 181451649

PXL 20210305 181505028

PXL 20210305 181518014MP

This fat flower is the only one that hasn't started retracting hairs yet. I'm kinda stumped as to why, but it just keeps putting on weight. I'm not upset about that haha
PXL 20210305 181543248

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Water isn't dropping as fast, so they're slowing down drinking. pH continues to drop, but I think that's because there's not enough alkalinity in my tap water to combat the effect of the phosphoric acid over time. 200 ppm has been stable -- I didn't complete drain the res like I have been throughout the entire cycle, just been topping up with water as needed. Trichomes are all pretty much cloudy now, but still a bit of clear on the lower buds. Amber trichomes near the tops of some of the flowers with increasing presence by the day.

View attachment 1099228
View attachment 1099229
View attachment 1099230
View attachment 1099231
View attachment 1099232

This fat flower is the only one that hasn't started retracting hairs yet. I'm kinda stumped as to why, but it just keeps putting on weight. I'm not upset about that haha
View attachment 1099233
Fat flower for the win. Looking good.

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

I've got one big 'un too that is white haired gotta let it finish

tobh

tobh

Supporter
That last pic. Not my proudest fap. I've been catching up on this thread and must have missed if you have a chop day planned yet?
Not yet, but it'll either be the 13th or 20th, so in the next couple weeks.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I've got one big 'un too that is white haired gotta let it finish
I really want to understand why though.. Pretty much the rest of both plants have retracted hairs and have significantly slowed down new hair production. But that one flower apparently didn't get the memo. There's gotta be a hormonal imbalance on that particular branch or something, maybe damage at the bract?

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Chop day came yesterday. After site one flooded again, I decided it was too late in the game to bother messing with that business, and turned off the fertigation pump, and cut the lights Thursday night.

Friday evening, I rode 200 miles south to my brother's, proceeded to ride another 500 miles Saturday, then took the 200 mile trek back north yesterday. Once I peeled off my riding gear, and donned protective gear, I commenced with cutting the ladies down.

Five hours later, I had everything hung or ready for the compost bin. That 4x4 was deceiving, there was a lot more there than I anticipated. Out of everything, only threw one branch out for suspected botrytis, which is quite impressive given just how dense everything was at screen level.

Last pic before chop

PXL 20210314 230135831

Pulled the buckets out so that I could get access to the zip ties tying the yo-yo's in the back to the screen. Just pulled the whole screen out and positioned in on my kitchen table for a portion of the remaining process
PXL 20210314 230921599

Prepped for cutting.. This is about the time I started saying "that tent was deceiving." I still didn't realize just how much work was ahead of me.
PXL 20210314 231202466

PXL 20210315 000301301

PXL 20210315 001029580

PXL 20210315 001613981

After an hour, this is what I had accomplished. Time for another beer..
PXL 20210315 002446090

This chunky bud just didn't want to mature. Unfortunately, this was an all or nothing pull. Still decent, I think.
PXL 20210315 005212430

Everything hung.
PXL 20210315 041206369

Around 1/3 will go to edibles, but everything else will be smokeable product. I'm optimistic for hitting my goal of 1.5 this round, possibly a bit more. I'll post dry weights when I have them, and root pics this evening. Those root balls are going to be a site to behold.

That being said, I have to decided what to do with the hydroton. I won't be reusing it since it's such a PITA to clean, and I don't want to be hauling it around unnecessarily.

HeathenFarmer

HeathenFarmer

🙌🙌🙌 Chop day!

Honestly I'm surprised there wasn't more mold/fungal issues with how dense that canopy was. What RH were you running?
There's nothing like being exhausted after harvesting something you've grown, cutting a bunch of fish you caught, or packing out game meat from the backcountry. Congrats and cheers!
Also smoke report in a month 😎

tobh

tobh

Supporter
🙌🙌🙌 Chop day!

Honestly I'm surprised there wasn't more mold/fungal issues with how dense that canopy was. What RH were you running?
There's nothing like being exhausted after harvesting something you've grown, cutting a bunch of fish you caught, or packing out game meat from the backcountry. Congrats and cheers!
Also smoke report in a month 😎
Thanks! 🍻

After around week five, I was sitting low, ~45% RH on average. When they really decreased transpiration I let it creep up a bit more, but the dehumidifier was working great, keeping things in check, and the genetics are known for being highly resistant to mold and fungal infections. I also have enough airflow in the tent that the air gets exchanged at least five times a minute, with plenty of circulation inside. Could rent it out as one of those vortex rides I imagine.

Honestly, the branch that I tossed may not have even been botrytis, it didn't look like every other sample I've personally seen, but it was just suspect. I'm not taking any chances as some of this is going to immune compromised patients (one with autoimmune issues, the other a late stage cancer patient). One little branch out of the bunch isn't a loss imo, just a security measure.

If it weren't for 200 miles of riding a sportbike in the rain, I probably wouldn't have been so beat afterwards. This weekend was the perfect storm of happily exhausting activities, and now it's time to relax and watch the grass dry. I'll be sure to put up a smoke report with the final numbers!

HeathenFarmer

HeathenFarmer

The branch was just a sacrifice to Ares, god of war and guardian of agriculture 😎(my avatar).

HeathenFarmer

HeathenFarmer

I have good air exchange but really struggling with high RH here in the tropics. Pretty sure a large dehumidifier is coming home this week. Probably easier to battle too low of RH than too high....
So, are you sold on the Dutch Bucket system?

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I have good air exchange but really struggling with high RH here in the tropics. Pretty sure a large dehumidifier is coming home this week. Probably easier to battle too low of RH than too high....
So, are you sold on the Dutch Bucket system?
Yeah, absolutely. Though, growing in the desert I learned low RH is a beast in of itself, albeit easier to contend with when the plants get larger.

As for being sold on the Dutch Bucket system, I'm on the fence. I love the simplicity and modularity of the design. However, and this is something that plagues all growing mediums, one MUST maintain awareness of available volume for root mass and the implications that volume has on flow rates. The smaller three gallon buckets simply are not enough volume for extended veg times. If I did a four-six week veg instead of a three month veg like I did, I imagine I wouldn't have run into the flooding issues I did.

All that being said, I have inspired my brother and a few others to give this style of system a go in their own gardens, both for cannabis and vegetable production. I feel it's a great style of hydro for anyone looking to get their feet wet to learn without the monumental upfront costs of RDWC and the accompanying complexities.

Madmax

Madmax

Just wow..i couldnt get over the sheer size and mass from just those 2 plants.you def would of gotten 2lb for sure tobh..i,see what you mean with the foxtailing.fuck,im all stiff 😆.i havnt moved layin on the couch reading near all your thread haha.i need a coffee..you still gonna go coco/perlite nxt grow..

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Just wow..i couldnt get over the sheer size and mass from just those 2 plants.you def would of gotten 2lb for sure tobh..i,see what you mean with the foxtailing.fuck,im all stiff 😆.i havnt moved layin on the couch reading near all your thread haha.i need a coffee..you still gonna go coco/perlite nxt grow..
nah, the only thing i use coco for is mother plants and starting veggie plants now. I found following Dirtbag's method with unislabs to be the cats elbows in terms of growing indoors and won't be changing things up again for a while. It's just too damn easy man. This run will hit nearer the end goal for this 4x4, though, or at least the way things are shaping up right now it should be damn close.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
seeing as i never update these things with final weights and whatnot, I ended up with just shy of 1.5 lbs of product overall. Only about 3/4 of it was remotely smokeable, the rest was binned and has been progressively being converted into edibles and salves on an as needed basis.

The initial cured smell was berry with a fuel backend, a bit of floral too, and now at the tail end of the jars we're running into straight gas. Same with the flavor of the smoke. It's smooth smoke, but could burn a bit better. I think the foxtailing really causes some microstems that just don't burn up the same as flower does. The high is almost purely cerebral, a bit racey for my liking but I think I could've probably let the girls go a bit longer to mellow out that trait. Either that or it's just outright potent -- i suffer the same kind of racey feeling any time I smoke a high percentage flower, so that's likely just my experience and YMMV.

Definitely gonna be running love stash again, not just because I have a shit ton of beans still but because it's a crowd pleaser and produces well. If I can't fuck it up, anyone else could easily achieve great results with it.

Madmax

Madmax

Yeah i get that feeling also..near cracking whiteys every couple minutes till it passes after roughly 10-15 mins..i agree with letting it go longer .ive been taking all grows last couple decades to bout 20% amber to take that edge off regardless what strain it is..

Thats right ive forgotten you have another thread going .i might consider trying out the slabs once i get more experience up ..the growth ive seen on yours and dirtbags is explosive...

tobh

tobh

Supporter
i actually haven't started a thread yet. my plan is to drop a post-mortem thread of the entire run after harvest and then let all the haters eat it up haha

Latest posts

Top Bottom