Training outdoors

• Thread starter masshole61
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
masshole61

masshole61

Should I train my outdoor plants ? Indoor training to manage the canopy for even light distribution and penetration are necessary , but are there any reasons to train outdoor plants ?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hm... you train your OD plants, fish? I don't, I simply work to support them. Of course, I *am* a rather lazy grower. :o

bevin

bevin

Yeah I just added some 4ft bamboo poles to support some growth today

below frigid

below frigid

I train mine as well. I have found if I keep the canopy level as possible,( tying and pinching) all the colas think they are the top cola and I get very uniform bud size. I pretty much stop all training a week or two before flowering starts. Bamboo steaks and hortinova trellis works great for support where needed.

masshole61

masshole61

Last year late in flower everything was laying over in a big way and was a bitch to stay on top of. This year I'm making a ring around my smart pots with this 5 ft galvanized animal fence I found at home depot. I'm buying extra in case I want to wire an extension to the ring or maybe place a piece over the top like a trellis.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Last year late in flower everything was laying over in a big way and was a bitch to stay on top of. This year I'm making a ring around my smart pots with this 5 ft galvanized animal fence I found at home depot. I'm buying extra in case I want to wire an extension to the ring or maybe place a piece over the top like a trellis.

good thinking!

Blaze

Blaze

It is not as important as with indoor. Supporting and thinning them is much, much more important. Most plants when grown outdoors will naturally grow an even rounded canopy in full sunlight, though this is somewhat strain dependent. Having an even flat canopy on top like you would want with indoor will not increase yield and is fairly pointless in my experience. You really want more of a sphere shaped plant with outdoor, as the angle of light changes throughout the day and is not stationary. Topping tends to just make weak joints that are more prone to break too so keep that in mind.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
^^^ My experience, after taking in much of Blaze's, et alia's advice, says this is true, especially for my seed starts.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I top them once when they are young.
I think training does depend on the strain..
And I think plants from seed seem to be stronger and able to hold themselfs up better than clones.
I supercrop (break necks) all but the Indicas.

I topped this ewok once..and pinched tops a few dozen or more times :)|

EwokF2 64
masshole61

masshole61

Blaze said something that caught my eye. I didn't defoliate last year and I'm questioning whether I should have. Does anyone defoliate outdoors and if so , how much, when, and for how long?

Blaze

Blaze

What specifically do you mean by defoliate? Removing fan leaves during veg? During flower? Or do you mean thinking out the wispy branches and leaves in the center of the plant?

masshole61

masshole61

At any point in time is defoliation beneficial to outdoor growing?

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
> removing leaves
< "bushing" was popular in the 70's (influenced by Jamacian Rastamen)--
but I've found the plants need those leaves...
-------------------------------------------
I don't know what you folks mean when you use the term "training".
[I've been "out-of-touch" and I haven't had much time to poke around here.]
When you say "train" do you mean the same thing as when I say "prune"???
Prune

Gp

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
I just did a search on "low stress training".
Got 8 topics containing the words "low stress training"--
thanx for all your detailed help...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
And...! I have to mind my plant count, which means I am relegated back to growing big trees, which I'd honestly been moving away from for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is difficulty in tending the plant due to my size and the property slope. Also, growing fewer bigger trees means a lot less variety.

Otherwise, I've played around with the LST thing outside, but with potted plants and in that scenario it makes sense. Otherwise, if your ladies have all the room their roots will need, just let them grow into trees and support, support SUPPORT those branches!

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
In case you were being sarcastic, because I sensed a hint of snarkiness, here's the first page of my apparently far superior version of google.

Detailed, yet simple, so to avoid any confusion. Perfect for a beginner.

http://www. roll itup .org/advanced-marijuana-cultivation/369528-low-stress-training-lst-guide.html
Also the first page, my google is nailing your google.

http://howtogrow Marijuana .com/low-stress-training-lst
Dang son, my google has yours 3 - 0...

If you can't figure out how to LST with just the first link, let alone all three, then you have an illness that even Marijuana cannot aid good sir.

===========================

Well, the first link from your "apparently far superior version of google" works for me,

but it's directed at folks who use electricity...

...and your LST apparently produces secondary stems;

the exact opposite of pruning--

which produces 100% mainstems...

Danksnax

Danksnax

Howdy Geologic! The same concept applies to outdoors, Just tie down new growth for many more colas without the stress caused by topping methods. Would you mind elaborating more on "Produces secondary stems"? To my knowledge, when the plant is bent over on its side, all the secondary stems turn into main terminals. Sure there will be competition on the branches to grow taller then the other branches so that's where you can add in topping methods to even the canopy and make for a one plant sea-of-green!

I figure its all on the preference on how you want your plants to grow out, but for the sake of education on the topic, lets not turn this into a debate thread over wtf method is better. Too many strains with too many different growth patterns to assume which is better!

I'm interested in hearing a lot more about this method for outdoors. Anyone that's willing, please share!I'll try to get pics of some experiments I'm doing on the topic.

Top Bottom