TrainWreck Grow Log

• Thread starter FastForward
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FastForward

Met up at a mate's house tonight who is growing out some TW cuts I gave him. His do not look anything like mine, so I think I've seriously screwed up - I don't think the mother we've kept is the right pheno :( It's a total newb mistake and I'm a bit gutted....it's not definitely the wrong one - I need to take a cut and flower it to make sure, but it's not looking good. Took a couple of photos on my phone:

IMG 0127
IMG 0128
P

ProGroWannabe

Kept the wrong pheno? What, does this one yield TOO much? lol.....

That's one big ass top bud right there!

F

FastForward

His don't smell anything like mine - smoking dried TW from a friend who has just cut down his (prolly way too early, but the trichs are all cloudy, few amber...he cut down at 11 weeks) and it doesn't taste like my TW at all. No menthol. No bass component at all....I'd go so far as to say it's a totally different profile/buzz and if I didn't know better I'd say it was a totally different plant. I could have screwed up the label but I very much doubt it. I dunno...one thing is for sure...I need to keep better track of stuff....

P

ProGroWannabe

Yeah bro, I hear ya on the record-keeping. My record keeping is horrible. Something I have to remedy!

As for the plants though, they can defnitely express themselves differently in different environments. Also, there can be noticeable differences between seed plants and clone plants even though they should both be identical genetically. I'd say wait and see what BH says since this is his baby. I'm sure he knows it forward and backward.

B

British_Hempire

13590d1230084066-trainwreck-grow-log-img_0127.jpg

This looks very nice, definitely TW, but this one has a little more Afghan influence I think, which makes it a bit stouter. I had a pheno just like this, was quite piney, TW with a hint of pine.

The pheno you had looked to be a Thai leaning one, but in my experience, there isn't a huge amount of variation between them so I will put a fair bit of the difference you are seeing down to different grow styles.

So have ya only kept a cut of the tall pheno you have?

Get you friend to reveg that pheno he has, I think it looks very nice indeed, the extra lil bit of Affie influence has made her stockier and most importantly, stronger stems as she is standing upright and proud, whereas the other phenos all tend to have the floppy-ass stems of the Arcata line.

This is the mother I chose, as you can see it looks like your friends is a slightly more indica pheno as the mother was a little less chunky in the buds and with floppy stems (it's held up by bamboo, hence the dogleg in it). Your friends' has leaves that look very similar just a tad thicker blades, in short, the plant he has is TW with a little more of the Affie influence expressing, this could indeed be the keeper pheno as it will probably retain the TW taste and high but obviously has improved yield and structure as it's shorter, chunkier and stronger than the Arcata wreck.

DSCF0051
F

FastForward

The pheno you had looked to be a Thai leaning one, but in my experience, there isn't a huge amount of variation between them so I will put a fair bit of the difference you are seeing down to different grow styles.

You can be absolutely sure of that - both he and I are within 6 months of first grow/harvest, so we're both learning lots still. He's also on Canna in coco fwiw.

So have ya only kept a cut of the tall pheno you have?

That's the million dollar question!! I just don't know at this point - and we've tried to work it out on two separate occasions at our fortnightly meets. There were two mothers I kept and stupidly didn't label separately (just 'TW') - one has been flowered and the other remains a mum. Will take a cut and flower it to see what we have - but both SpanishPed and my other mate both had shorter finishing phenos that didn't look like mine, so it's looking like the mother is the non-floppy pheno but I need to confirm that. The non-floppy pheno looks to be more practical but the floppy pheno may have the extra potency. Again, we're both nubs so difficult to know - Ped swears that the trichs were all cloudy when he chopped, but there's still an enormous gulf of difference in potency and profile between his and mine. On taste and buzz alone I'd take the floppy pheno every single time, even with the additional growing issues - but without a properly grown out and smoked non-floppy pheno I really can't say. My immature TW is a better smoke than his allegedly mature TW...

There's also an apparently massive difference in yield between the two phenos, if you've got the space and light coverage/mover. Even with the floppyness, don't you think that floppy TW could out-do even the big buds and powerplants of the world in pure yield alone, let alone quality?? I've never seen colas like them...and in the hands of an experienced grower I bet these girls could easily do 10oz each plant??!

Monkfish

Monkfish

:clappingthat looks so impressive FF fek knows what your beating yourself up on man, id be throwing a backflip:rock....knows where your comming from though m8, shit ive lost threw bad lable managements hilerious:nerd

all the best mf

B

British_Hempire

Yes, I have to agree, the Afghan pheno I had was not as tasty or potent as the Arcata pheno, for this reason I discarded the Afghan pheno. The seeds you have are the result of crossing the Arcata pheno female and the orangery pheno female to the most sativa leaning male (he looked like the Arcata pheno a lot), the reason for choosing two females was that they looked almost identical but had different tastes and I couldn't decide which I like best, so I decided to preserve the variation and use both.

The yield of the floppy one is indeed impressive if you get it right, it needs to grow as a big bush with as many budsites as possible.

So I think the floppy pheno you have is the closest to true TW whereas the short chunky pheno leans towards the Afghan part of the line. The floppy pheno, if it's like the ones I had, will have a soaring, immediate 'oh my, I'm rather high' quality and the taste is very sharp and strong from the first toke, if the Afghan pheno doesn't have these qualities, discard it.

One thing else I will say, looking at that Affie pheno if yours is that it gives ya some insight into what a TW x indica woul look like, now go and look at GHS TW grows and you will see that there also looks like a TW x indica of some kind, so if theirs is pure TW I'm a monkey's father's brother me old china lol

F

FastForward

Thanks MF - not beating myself up, but if my TW turns out to be a super arcata pheno it'll suck bigtime to 'lose' it. In all truth it's not a plant that I think any of my crew will grow regularly because she's a bit of a handful for nubs, or ppl with limited growspace and time - but I'm sure there's others who would enjoy growing it because I think the smoke is gonna be un-f'kin-believable!!! :)

BH - The Affie pheno that we have has only been cured for a week or two, so it's difficult to get a proper view on taste, but I'd have expected a stronger taste by now. To my tastebuds it's a very middle of the road smoke, maybe less. The potency and taste don't represent afghan ime either....it would be a much more earthy and bassy buzz I think, and it was more treble/sativa in effect. Probably not a keeper, but I'll hold fire on making any judgement until we've smoked these ones.

And there's no way that GHS TW is pure TW, even a nublet like me can see that. I'm guessing that attempts to make Arcata TW more user friendly end up in results that don't express the original traits strongly (or at all) ?

wambam123

wambam123

just done my own trainwreck it is currently hanging upside down in my tent i grew it in with a fan blowing slowly at the bottom. it has been 3 days and my buds are drying at the bottom but still a little moist at the top.

F

FastForward

just done my own trainwreck it is currently hanging upside down in my tent i grew it in with a fan blowing slowly at the bottom. it has been 3 days and my buds are drying at the bottom but still a little moist at the top.

Keep going until the stems are brittle enough to snap when bent....then jar them, burping daily to prevent mildew and nasties. I've been putting mine in mason jars still on the stems (for the nicer top buds) as STL told me it helps with flavour...no idea if it works yet, but seems to be.

B

British_Hempire

The TW I have in veg are growing great, they look like clones but it's early days yet.

F

FastForward

Hey BH - I really want to keep this TW pheno going, and in the absence of a reliable mother/cut I'm going to reveg one of them. I don't think I can take off any limbs as they're all too developed and floppy with bud, so was wondering if I could reveg the stem and rootball post harvest, if I try to leave some kind of leaf on there? I know it could take months to revert, but I think she's going to be worth it. Any ideas?

B

British_Hempire

Just cut her back to a stump with a few little popcorn buds then flush her with a lot of water, get all those flower nutes out, then put her under 24/0 light. When you start to see new shoots coming out of the buds start feeding with something mild like Formulex, Canna Start or best of all, fish emulsion at ec 1.0 and she will eventually grow enough for you to take clones.

mace

mace

im about to harvest some clone only trainwreck. My problem is that i dont know if there is going to be amber trichs on plants grown under LED's. Im probably going to yank them on day 55 if i dont see any amber at all. It's day 52 right now. I should note that like 90% are cloudy 10% clear.

F

FastForward

Great stuff, thanks man. I've just finished smoking another lower limb of sampler over the past 24 hours and man, it's a really mad high. It's definitely sativa leaning, no question of doubt because it's really quite a racy, heady buzz. When pushed it's really disassociative...which is also v. useful....tends to sharpen things as you go further. So far they're on day 89 and flushing and trichs are still not mostly cloudy - but definitely getting there. The cured end product should be insane, by anyone's standards and I can't wait to get some other opinions on it. All I know is that she fucks me up nicely, and that normally takes some doing :)

B

British_Hempire

Mace, 55 days is early for TW, I would suggest letting her go 70. I found trichomes do turn amber under LEDs, but also that LEDs add a couple of weeks to the flowering time with all the strains I tried.

Hope you enjoy the end product FF, I was fucked the first time I smoked TW, potent buds indeed.

mace

mace

Mace, 55 days is early for TW, I would suggest letting her go 70. I found trichomes do turn amber under LEDs, but also that LEDs add a couple of weeks to the flowering time with all the strains I tried.

Hope you enjoy the end product FF, I was fucked the first time I smoked TW, potent buds indeed.

Good, i was worried that the ambering was in some way involved with UV light. I'm growing the arcata cut and from what i've read it says 55-60 days. I'll just fly by the seat of my pants and pull at 30% amber i think. I like the headier stuff !

F

FastForward

Mini update - Day 91, starting week 13

I added some Ripen into the flush a few days ago to help rid some of the nitrogen and generally help flush them a bit harder, seeing as I've been giving heavy PK supplements for a long time. But...I want to cut them down tomorrow, because I don't think they're getting any riper - I think this is it. I don't think they tops are going to turn because they're too immature from lack of light, so I'd rather chop and make sure that the middle sections are all top quality gear. There's still a good chance that the tops will be smokeable, but it deffo won't be the same quality (otherwise it's gonna be hash).

I also gave them a final water of non-pH tap water yesterday - didn't want to chop with Ripen in the system or add pH down to the flush - and if they're looking dry enough I'll chop them before lights on tomorrow. All the samples/smoketests have been great and I don't want to risk overdoing them....I want peak potency for these ladies...trichs are mostly cloudy.....

Top Bottom