Transplant before mainline training?

• Thread starter StalkerAF
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mothman

Mothman

No you want to leave the four outer colas because those are your main colas, it's the two closest to your vertical stem that I would remove. Remember you have four main callers now I like the corners of a dice
Not to complicate things, but on the other hand…😂

If you leave those 4 inner branches instead of cutting them, you save each plant the stress of 8 cuts/toppings, yet you end up with 8 growth tips. Not as much of a tabletop canopy, but way less stress on our hermie-prone friends.

Here is my Shiskaberry fem photo from Barney’s using the modified manifold method described above.
Before and after her chop yesterday.

IMG 3803
lankster0240

lankster0240

I don't know what you mean by dry top dressing nutrients. If you mean like, peat moss, manure, worm castings, blood meal....it's hard to add those to soil after transplanting, you can slowly add little bits and let them work their way down over time, but you have limited space on top to do this, you don't want to bury the stems deeper and deeper.....but when you're first building your soil, a certain amount of all of these things mixed in......plus perlite, vermiculite, coco coir......compost if you have it....will build a very nice, rich soil that won't require feeding for quite some time.

If you mean solid or liquid nutrients, I wouldn't mix that in with your soil, it could be too much when plants are young, it could burn them.

After the plants are bigger and they use a lot of the nutrients from the soil itself, you can start slowly feeding........better to underdo it at first. You can always add more, you can't add less....

In veg, that usually means pale, yellowing leaves starting at the bottom. Feed higher nitrogen. In flowering you want to reduce the nitrogen and increase Phosphorus and Calcium, as well as secondary nutrients, Magnesium, etc.

Too much food can be toxic, and throw the Ph off. Let the plants guide you.
Hey sorry to jump in but u can top dress your plants an grow incredible beautiful ladies but it's jus take longer being your growing jas as nature intended... Think outside plants get all there stuff from top ground then into soil witch is top dressing... You won't bury your stem trust me cause every water is going to push down on soil n etc n before u kno it u need lil soil but top dressing is a great way to organically feed plants after the planted don't always need liquid... Or u can mix it up use both synthetic n organics .. but anyway jus wanted to tell ya top dressing plants
is awesome

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Hey sorry to jump in but u can top dress your plants an grow incredible beautiful ladies but it's jus take longer being your growing jas as nature intended... Think outside plants get all there stuff from top ground then into soil witch is top dressing... You won't bury your stem trust me cause every water is going to push down on soil n etc n before u kno it u need lil soil but top dressing is a great way to organically feed plants after the planted don't always need liquid... Or u can mix it up use both synthetic n organics .. but anyway jus wanted to tell ya top dressing plants
is awesome
Yeah I'm down for doing it. I guess the richer, more compact whatever it is......what kinds of things would make for good top dressings? I'm very curious about fish emulsion......I just don't want my basement smelling like rotting fish. How about composted manure? Worm castings? Blood meal? I've always wanted to use bat guano...

I have a basic flower/bloom formula plant food. I might use a small amount once a week for the next 8 weeks (I'm flipping to flower today) but I'd much rather use something natural and let it slowly work its way down. It's better all around.

StalkerAF

StalkerAF

is awesome
Thanks lankster, I am having great luck with top dressing as needed and I definitely prefer that method over the liquid so far.

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

Ok on I am not doing a "mainline" but this is what I do for my out door plants. I only remove the bottom 2 branches for clones 😉. Then from now until the weekend of the 4th of July I stop topping. I am trying to accomplish 2 goals. Create a flat even canopy and keep them under 6' tall.
20230530 110326
20230530 110342

StalkerAF

StalkerAF

Yeah I'm down for doing it. I guess the richer, more compact whatever it is......what kinds of things would make for good top dressings? I'm very curious about fish emulsion......I just don't want my basement smelling like rotting fish. How about composted manure? Worm castings? Blood meal? I've always wanted to use bat guano...

I have a basic flower/bloom formula plant food. I might use a small amount once a week for the next 8 weeks (I'm flipping to flower today) but I'd much rather use something natural and let it slowly work its way down. It's better all around.
I went with Lush Organics dry nutrients and seems to be working out just fine following their recommendations. I don’t use as much as they suggest but do keep in mind it takes several days or week for the nutrients to take effect and that’s why I follow their recommendations by the week. I’m sure I will dial it in my own way as I experiment with next couple of grows.

StalkerAF

StalkerAF

Oh and there is a smell depending on what you use but it seems to disappear over a day or two

StalkerAF

StalkerAF

Not to complicate things, but on the other hand…😂

If you leave those 4 inner branches instead of cutting them, you save each plant the stress of 8 cuts/toppings, yet you end up with 8 growth tips. Not as much of a tabletop canopy, but way less stress on our hermie-prone friends.

Here is my Shiskaberry fem photo from Barney’s using the modified manifold method described above.
Before and after her chop yesterday.
Not complicating things at all. After going back and forth and spending time at work not working haha…I think I will just let them continue doing their thing and focus more on the training/manipulating aspects and learn from that for the next time. They look pretty happy so why f up their environment entirely…I need to move them to the bigger room so they can stretch out some.

D

Deaner

Not complicating things at all. After going back and forth and spending time at work not working haha…I think I will just let them continue doing their thing and focus more on the training/manipulating aspects and learn from that for the next time. They look pretty happy so why f up their environment entirely…I need to move them to the bigger room so they can stretch out some.
Ya . I see your point of not stressing them out. I was following nug bucket but reading nebulous post he went ahead and left those four centers on and they do go to eight colas, so that is one step you can skip I guess. What's going on I continue to learn.
Thanks to all the other mainliners that contribute thanks all. I will try this new technique next time I main line for sure

D

Deaner

Ya . I see your point of not stressing them out. I was following nug bucket but reading nebulous post he went ahead and left those four centers on and they do go to eight colas, so that is one step you can skip I guess. What's going on I continue to learn.
Thanks to all the other mainliners that contribute thanks all. I will try this new technique next time I main line for sure
Just remember to veg and let them go vertical to half of your desired height before you flip. You'll get some stretching they might even double in height but don't flower too soon.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I went with Lush Organics dry nutrients and seems to be working out just fine following their recommendations. I don’t use as much as they suggest but do keep in mind it takes several days or week for the nutrients to take effect and that’s why I follow their recommendations by the week. I’m sure I will dial it in my own way as I experiment with next couple of grows.
Yes I'd assume that if we're going with stuff that may not (all) be instantly available for plants, but needs to break down after using, or helps break other stuff down.......activates......then we need to add time. If something takes a week to break down, we might want to use it every 10 days, and give it time to see results. Using it once and trying to judge it 3 days later isn't the way to do it. And, dry additions will probably take even longer because they need to work their way down/in to the soil.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Oh and there is a smell depending on what you use but it seems to disappear over a day or two
Ok, yeah I like the smell of rich earth......although the smell of the plants takes over. Rotting fish wouldn't be much of a hit, but if any not so good smell only lasts a couple of days that's tolerable.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Looking awesome! I’m doing a semi-mainline-kinda-seein where she goes 😂, but she’s doing awesome, not sure what my plan is for her though she’s huge and nowhere to flower her atm, flower tent just flipped 2 weeks ago she’s gunna be a full 4x8 before I can flip her lol

So she’ll be transplanted with her current training into probably a 5 gal to prepare for a 10 or 15 gal for flower under a scrog net she was just re topped all around too 😂 grabbed a few clones while she was getting trained as well

IMG 5103
IMG 5106
StalkerAF

StalkerAF

Ok
Looking awesome! I’m doing a semi-mainline-kinda-seein where she goes 😂, but she’s doing awesome, not sure what my plan is for her though she’s huge and nowhere to flower her atm, flower tent just flipped 2 weeks ago she’s gunna be a full 4x8 before I can flip her lol

So she’ll be transplanted with her current training into probably a 5 gal to prepare for a 10 or 15 gal for flower under a scrog net she was just re topped all around too 😂 grabbed a few clones while she was getting trained as well
That’s looking beautiful! I like how you made you trellis which looks easy to remove.

StalkerAF

StalkerAF

Quick update. I decided to make one last node trim today and I am overall pretty happy with the way the coals are growing. All plants are similar and decently symmetrical for the most park so hopefully it’s curse control from here on minus and bending to keep them levelish. All plants are in my final room and adjusting well to the environment change. Definitely adding way more time to the process but I really don’t care because I’m having fun with it!

I did add some bulletproof silica to the watering in hope of creating some beefier stems to support those buds.

I’ll update again in a few weeks

7C0CEC5C CEEB 448C 87EE 28818CDC75F0
E18694B4 15AB 43FD A1DA 050FFA3310A1
1C44704B BB73 4DA0 8607 0271977DF283
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Quick update. I decided to make one last node trim today and I am overall pretty happy with the way the coals are growing. All plants are similar and decently symmetrical for the most park so hopefully it’s curse control from here on minus and bending to keep them levelish. All plants are in my final room and adjusting well to the environment change. Definitely adding way more time to the process but I really don’t care because I’m having fun with it!

I did add some bulletproof silica to the watering in hope of creating some beefier stems to support those buds.

time is all relative, better to veg the plants to where you want them than to rush them just to save a week, in the end it’ll pay off.

Ok

That’s looking beautiful! I like how you made you trellis which looks easy to remove.
Yep just wires and loops made out of wires, could slide them all out right now if I wanted to 😁 that was a practice plant but may become a mother, I just cleaned her up in a big way lol, and took 4 (large) clones from her which are all doing pretty well now

Those shoots where cut in half before being prepped and dipped lol still biggest clones / stems I’ve ever tried cloning by far

IMG 5477
IMG 5475
D

Deaner

Wow! You're going to end up with a bumper crop. I love the way you have them spaced, now yes cruise control feeding an environment. I find it does take about an extra 3 weeks of veg time but the harvest is fully worth the wait. Good job man makes me want to do this for my next grow. 😀

D

Deaner

One other thing I found very helpful to support those heavy heavy buds. I use tomato cages it worked really well he can separate the colors slide them around to make them more even.
Following further updates I can't wait to see your finished product

StalkerAF

StalkerAF

Wow! You're going to end up with a bumper crop. I love the way you have them spaced, now yes cruise control feeding an environment. I find it does take about an extra 3 weeks of veg time but the harvest is fully worth the wait. Good job man makes me want to do this for my next grow. 😀
Yeah I’m actually pretty stoked on how they are looking for my first time trying this…second real grow honestly haha! I did get some tomato rings but after seeing how MikeDin built his on the above photos, I kind of like that method.

Definitely focusing on the environment currently in the new room and will switch it up some as I head into flower next week.

Current environment
Temp 84-87
Humid 65-70
Ppfd 750-900… can go much higher
Co2 800-1000 ppm
Ventilation on the heavy side closed loop
Small UVB light doses to help with any bacterial growth because of the high humidity and heat. In theory of course…

Latest posts

Top Bottom