TSD *attempts* autos indoors, winter boredom.

• Thread starter TSD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TSD

TSD

Well, two things I've never done in one shebang... growing an auto and flowering indoors. Was going to wait a bit to start this diary because I'm not confident they won't die immediately, but I'm bored and impatient and on a tolerance break so I need something. 🤪
I don't have very high expectations here, mostly doing it out of boredom, and I've been feeling a bit blah lately, so perhaps this will improve my mood.
Strains are Gelato Auto and Gorilla Glue Auto.
Sticking with my hillbilly setup because I don't have money for a proper setup currently. They are in a closet in my spare room. Closet door will stay open, humidifier and heater in the room. Nursery pots with many holes all over, I think they are about 3.5 gallon pots, I'll check tomorrow. Currently have them under my light therapy fluorescent, I'll add my marshydro 600 when they're a couple weeks, assuming they make it that far. They're on 16 hours right now, mostly because it's a small closet... might change that at some point. Using FFOF soil (with a bit of extra perlite) because it's cheapish if you don't need a lot and available locally, not much is this time of year. They are also on a warming mat currently. These were freebies that I've had in my stash for a while that I got with my photo seed orders over the last few years. I saturated the soil with water with a bit of mycos and let the pots get warm in the room while the seeds were soaking. Put them in to soak on December 30th, they had both popped by 1/1 so I put them in the soil and lightly watered them in. Today, 1/3, the Gelato has just poked through, no sign of the Gorilla Glue yet. Wish me luck farm fam, probably gonna need it!😆
Tsd attempts autos indoors winter boredom 3
Tsd attempts autos indoors winter boredom 4
Tsd attempts autos indoors winter boredom 3

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

You say "hillbilly" but i think its pretty clean and neat!
This was my "hillbilly" set up for the fall before last because it was so dark and wet every day, and needed to finish these late season autos. Inside my shed with a ts1000, hardwood floor underlayment as a reflector, a box fan wire tied to the ceiling, and my kids sand box on the other side to keep shit from crushing the plants🤣🤣
Screenshot 20230104 075323 Gallery

With the stuff weve seen from you outdoors, im pretty certain youll do quite well with these autos.

TSD

TSD

you got this! lets see what kinda foooood ya fixxx
Well I am a pretty good cook, I make a mean chicken Marsala 🤓
As far as the ladies are concerned, I'll be using the same stuff I use outside, Dutch Science... I'll grab some screen shots since I put it in jars for storage.
Since I'm using Ocean Forest, I won't start any nutes for a few weeks at least. Usually I put a little pocket of lighter soil for the seeds, I did not do that, so hopefully they're hardy enough to not burn.
Screenshot 20230104 081016 Chrome
Screenshot 20230104 081024 Chrome
Screenshot 20230104 081130 Chrome
Screenshot 20230104 081136 Chrome

Question for the auto growers... how do you know when to a switch from veg to flower nutes? When you see pistils?
Here's the mycos I added, also taking suggestions on other myco products that you love, I know there's a plethora of different little guys you can inoculate the soil with and just as many products... and FFOF comes with some too. Probably not a necessity, but I do like to try different things.
20230104 081319

Still no sign from Gorilla Glue... it was popped, so I'm not losing all hope yet.

TSD

TSD

I let them run in just thw soil until buds start stacking up. With the short veg time the soil usually has enough in it to get you to flower too.
I was wondering that, since they're so fast... I'll go by how they look as usual. Maybe one dose of each if they look like they can take it, mostly because I firmly believe Dutch Science is close to magic lol. I did a little test on some of my potted flowers last summer, wish I would have taken pics. I used some petunias and a fuchsia, and then had another of each that I just left alone in plain organic potting mix. I did one dose of veg when I planted them and one of bloom when they started making flowers (I always pick the smaller flowers from the nursery that aren't blooming yet because they take transplant far better in my experience.) The ones that got the DS nutes went nuts, way bigger, way more flowers, way more vigorous... they were almost immortal I swear, they lived through like 5 frosts and a snow before they finally died.... well the petunias anyway, fuchsia are far more delicate overall and don't tolerate cold well. So I don't think I'll ever use any other brand as long as they're in business.

steamroller

steamroller

I grew autos last year outdoors.
First one showed pistils on day 21!
I felt like I never had time to even get started with ferts, and then seeing it is time to switch!
They grew well regardless, but I feel I had no control.
Won't do autos again probably. 🤷‍♂️
I documented most of the grow in my thread.

TSD

TSD

I grew autos last year outdoors.
First one showed pistils on day 21!
I felt like I never had time to even get started with ferts, and then seeing it is time to switch!
They grew well regardless, but I feel I had no control.
Won't do autos again probably. 🤷‍♂️
I documented most of the grow in my thread.
Yeah honestly I wouldn't intentionally buy autos I don't think, but you know how the freebie seed selections usually are... autos all the way and maybe one reg of a strain no one wants, so here we are, will be something to do to combat the seasonal affective disorder anyway. 🤣 Plus my closet is small and we lose power at least a few times every winter and my generator can only run like... my fridge and a lamp lol, so autos won't be much bothered if that happens.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

White walls are fine. They reflect just about as much light as mylar grow tent walls would. I don't know anything about your Mars light. I've always stayed away from them due to quality issues, although I have heard that their newer stuff is much better.

Maybe one of our sponsors will gift you one of their grow lights so you can take it for a test drive?

P.S. Vitamin D seems to be doing a pretty good job warding off the January Blahs ... that and probably the time I have spent in the grow rooms.

TSD

TSD

White walls are fine. They reflect just about as much light as mylar grow tent walls would. I don't know anything about your Mars light. I've always stayed away from them due to quality issues, although I have heard that their newer stuff is much better.

Maybe one of our sponsors will gift you one of their grow lights so you can take it for a test drive?

P.S. Vitamin D seems to be doing a pretty good job warding off the January Blahs ... that and probably the time I have spent in the grow rooms.
Yeah I've heard that about the Marshydros, haven't had any issues yet, got it a couple years back, but it doesn't get vigorous use since I only use it for a couple months per year to start my ladies.
A gift from a sponsor would make my little stoner heart happy lol... I've entered a few of the giveaways but no luck yet. I would definitely do my best to do a grow diary to make them proud! Hey whatever happened to SunshineSuperGirl... didn't they win one they were supposed to do a diary with? I can't tag them, so I assume they left the forum.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Yeah I've heard that about the Marshydros, haven't had any issues yet, got it a couple years back, but it doesn't get vigorous use since I only use it for a couple months per year to start my ladies.
A gift from a sponsor would make my little stoner heart happy lol... I've entered a few of the giveaways but no luck yet. I would definitely do my best to do a grow diary to make them proud! Hey whatever happened to SunshineSuperGirl... didn't they win one they were supposed to do a diary with? I can't tag them, so I assume they left the forum.
It's possible she's gone. I'm not sure.

TSD

TSD

Well, impatience got the best of me and I rutted around in the dirt in search of the Gorilla Glue seed, and I'm kind of glad I did. She was definitely stuck, root all twisted up in a ball and fully wearing her helmet still with her first leaves already starting to form trapped inside. I (hopefully) gently removed the casing and her leaves popped right out in relief. Hopefully my touching her in this delicate phase didn't stunt her. It's up to her to live now lol. Hoping her stalk pushes her up over the next couple days, like I said it was all balled up, so this was the best I could manage.
20230105 171854

Gelato is making her first leaves, looks a little leggy already so I lowered the light a tad, not ready to add the led just yet.
20230105 172553

We had a nice little mini ice storm last night. Woke up at midnight to pee and the power was out. I breathed some warm breath into a Mason jar and put it over Gelato hoping she wouldn't freeze. Power was back on by 4 am, so I adjusted the timer and removed her jar once the room was warm again. Figured we'd experience a power outage at some point, but day 2 of life really isn't the best time. My poor Mama maple is confused by this crazy weather and is pushing buds, hopefully it won't affect her growth... though I'm sure she's over 100 years old, so this isn't her first crazy winter.
20230105 120918

Oh and side note, checked the sticker and the pots are 3.76 gallon.

Also a question for those with experience growing autos, is gentle LST ok? I see some folks do it and some say avoid it at all costs. I'm just talking a light bend over to have a more even canopy, since my lights aren't the best. I did plant them off to one side with this in mind, like one good pull over maybe? If I don't do it I'm confident the roots will find thier way around the pot regardless of being off center. Thanks for any advice!

Top Bottom