TSD *attempts* autos indoors, winter boredom.

• Thread starter TSD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Well, impatience got the best of me and I rutted around in the dirt in search of the Gorilla Glue seed, and I'm kind of glad I did. She was definitely stuck, root all twisted up in a ball and fully wearing her helmet still with her first leaves already starting to form trapped inside. I (hopefully) gently removed the casing and her leaves popped right out in relief. Hopefully my touching her in this delicate phase didn't stunt her. It's up to her to live now lol. Hoping her stalk pushes her up over the next couple days, like I said it was all balled up, so this was the best I could manage. View attachment 1317047
Gelato is making her first leaves, looks a little leggy already so I lowered the light a tad, not ready to add the led just yet. View attachment 1317048
We had a nice little mini ice storm last night. Woke up at midnight to pee and the power was out. I breathed some warm breath into a Mason jar and put it over Gelato hoping she wouldn't freeze. Power was back on by 4 am, so I adjusted the timer and removed her jar once the room was warm again. Figured we'd experience a power outage at some point, but day 2 of life really isn't the best time. My poor Mama maple is confused by this crazy weather and is pushing buds, hopefully it won't affect her growth... though I'm sure she's over 100 years old, so this isn't her first crazy winter. View attachment 1317049
Oh and side note, checked the sticker and the pots are 3.76 gallon.

Also a question for those with experience growing autos, is gentle LST ok? I see some folks do it and some say avoid it at all costs. I'm just talking a light bend over to have a more even canopy, since my lights aren't the best. I did plant them off to one side with this in mind, like one good pull over maybe? If I don't do it I'm confident the roots will find thier way around the pot regardless of being off center. Thanks for any advice!
Hey, I was an auto hater too until I grew more of them, You can get some nice smoke off auto's. The thing is with them they don't have a long enough veg stage to handle shocking them. Stunt them for even 1 week and you've lost a major part of your plant. So people don't like to transplant or LST because of the shock factor. I transplant but I'm pretty good at it. there's no shock and my plants don't know they've been transplanted they just know they've more room to grow.

You can bend them some and manipulate the direction they grow in and I've topped a few before I knew that was a nono and they were smaller buds so I don't top anymore. Auto regs are good for me because the males show early and you can cull them out still in small pots. Reg photo's just piss me off...lol

Reactions: TSD
TSD

TSD

@PipeCarver I'm gonna be honest, I didn't even consider that they could be males lol. They were freebies and the label doesn't specify. That'll be dumb if they are. 😆 Guess if all else fails I can do a photo on short veg. 🤷‍♀️

TSD

TSD

I'm not a fan of regular photos either. I don't have enough space to waste all that time on some dude I'm just gonna kill... I don't know the first thing about breeding so I have no use for them.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

there are growers on this forum that swear by topping their autos and the results would seem to agree 🤷‍♂️ I suppose anything is possible if you're talented enough

TSD

TSD

there are growers on this forum that swear by topping their autos and the results would seem to agree 🤷‍♂️ I suppose anything is possible if you're talented enough
Probably depends a lot on the genetics too I would imagine. Some are probably more vigorous and bounce right back without needing much time to heal.

flowerdave

flowerdave

Here is an black domina auto i topped at 5 node. Not a real fan but it was free seed and i needed some heavy hitting indica
Black domina auto

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Yeah I would imagine, especially in a tent, unless maybe you scrog?

I have always topped indoors, but after my last grow I will also always be using a SCROG or screen of sorts. Much easier to focus the light and growth where you want it so increased yields and less larfy garbage + easier to work around and maintain.

Thing with growing indoors is at X height in your grow space you are at the "optimal" light intensity and every inch or cm below that point is getting less and less light. So us indoors plebs have to find a way to get the most green within that little sweet spot as we can lol

Reactions: TSD
E

elusiveshame

I have always topped indoors, but after my last grow I will also always be using a SCROG or screen of sorts. Much easier to focus the light and growth where you want it so increased yields and less larfy garbage + easier to work around and maintain.

Thing with growing indoors is at X height in your grow space you are at the "optimal" light intensity and every inch or cm below that point is getting less and less light. So us indoors plebs have to find a way to get the most green within that little sweet spot as we can lol

Are you topping autos or just photos? I've been wondering about this since I have 4 autos growing right now, half in their 2nd week, the other half in their 1st week. Unsure of when or if I should, or just go scrog only.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Are you topping autos or just photos? I've been wondering about this since I have 4 autos growing right now, half in their 2nd week, the other half in their 1st week. Unsure of when or if I should, or just go scrog only.

I haven't/won't grow autos so I cannot comment sorry :)

Perhaps take a look at @GNick55 grows. He gets a similar effect by just pulling over the main stem sideways.

E

elusiveshame

I haven't/won't grow autos so I cannot comment sorry :)

Perhaps take a look at @GNick55 grows. He gets a similar effect by just pulling over the main stem sideways.
Fair enough :P

When I was getting started, I thought autos were supposed to be the easiest/fastest for yield, but seems like that's not true (at least in most cases) so now I'm just trying to grow through the handful I have and focus only on photos.

steamroller

steamroller

I grew maybe 10-20 autos outdoors last season.
Some stayed around 1-2 feet tall while others were 4 feet.
It like photos all comes down to genetics IMO?
Without knowing what the strain can do advice is hap hazard IMO.
Autos are basically plug n play IMO.

TSD

TSD

Not much to report, just wanted to list the specs for my lights, the florescent light therapy one and the Marshydro. Looks like I'll have about 240 actual watts if I can get them both in there, which clearly isn't ideal, but it'll do for this half assed closet grow.
Screenshot 20230106 171045 Chrome
Screenshot 20230106 171201 Chrome
20230106 172739

Thinking I'll probably only have one plant anyway since the GG hasn't done anything since I removed it's casing. It's either a dud/mutant or I shocked it by messing with it. Gelato is doing fine, typical seedling. I'll probably add the Marshydro in another few days.

TSD

TSD

Little update, nothing spectacular to report. Today is 8 days since Gelato pushed through the soil. Yesterday I added the Marshydro, quite high until I see how she responds, seems fine so far, growing faster since I added it maybe? I managed to squish both lights in, not ideally, but good enough for this half assed grow. I also watered yesterday for the first time since planting. Probably could have watered a little sooner despite the bottom being quite moist below, because obviously her roots obviously aren't to the bottom of an almost 4 gallon pot yet. She was actually drooping a tad. 😬 I'm just so paranoid about overwatering a seedling.
Gorilla Glue isn't dead yet and I think she may actually have resumed growing, so I'm not going to off her just yet. Definitely got stunted by her ordeal, but she's only 6 days old so hopefully she'll come around.
20230111 194527
20230111 193844
20230111 193838

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I actually enjoyed growing my autos indoors did one run with 18/6 and one with 20/4 I liked the results of 18/6 through the full run seed to harvest

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Not much to report, just wanted to list the specs for my lights, the florescent light therapy one and the Marshydro. Looks like I'll have about 240 actual watts if I can get them both in there, which clearly isn't ideal, but it'll do for this half assed closet grow. View attachment 1317689View attachment 1317690View attachment 1317691
Thinking I'll probably only have one plant anyway since the GG hasn't done anything since I removed it's casing. It's either a dud/mutant or I shocked it by messing with it. Gelato is doing fine, typical seedling. I'll probably add the Marshydro in another few days.
Funny enough I like that discription for the light my wife lays in my tent to sunbathe while I tend to the plants 😂😂

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I grew autos last year outdoors.
First one showed pistils on day 21!
I felt like I never had time to even get started with ferts, and then seeing it is time to switch!
They grew well regardless, but I feel I had no control.
Won't do autos again probably. 🤷‍♂️
I documented most of the grow in my thread.
Most of mine flowered between day 20-30 about average, I started LST at 5” tall and glad I did it’s just enough to get them bushed out really nice and boom next thing you know there’s pistils everywhere lol but you do get some absolute monsters sometimes and monster buds as well

And these where all my first indoor run ever lol

92813604 32D3 4D25 9CB4 B5144D5A0F58
A38D8003 368B 4FEA AFA1 9019C25332FC
9D8C7044 4596 471B B3FA 7BFAE95C7C44

Latest posts

Top Bottom