TSD *attempts* autos indoors, winter boredom.

• Thread starter TSD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

elusiveshame

Little update, nothing spectacular to report. Today is 8 days since Gelato pushed through the soil. Yesterday I added the Marshydro, quite high until I see how she responds, seems fine so far, growing faster since I added it maybe? I managed to squish both lights in, not ideally, but good enough for this half assed grow. I also watered yesterday for the first time since planting. Probably could have watered a little sooner despite the bottom being quite moist below, because obviously her roots obviously aren't to the bottom of an almost 4 gallon pot yet. She was actually drooping a tad. 😬 I'm just so paranoid about overwatering a seedling.
Gorilla Glue isn't dead yet and I think she may actually have resumed growing, so I'm not going to off her just yet. Definitely got stunted by her ordeal, but she's only 6 days old so hopefully she'll come around. View attachment 1319112View attachment 1319113View attachment 1319114

Totally know how you feel about overwatering. What I did for the first week was used a half bottle (about 6 - 8oz) of water around the base of the seedling, then once they grew a little bit bigger than where you’re at, I started watering the whole pot, so about a week and a half to two weeks after sprouting. Idk if that helps you at all, but figured I’d toss it out there.

Aside from that, they’re looking good!

TSD

TSD

Well I suppose it's time for an update, been about a week since the last one. Been a bit of a struggle keeping humidity up, it's been very cold so we had the pellet stove going, which is dry as hell. Added another small humidifier in addition to my big one. Took out the emergency blankets and added a random mirror, hillbilly upgrade lol. Gelato is looking pretty good, she's 2 weeks old today. I say she hopefully, she has some little stigmas starting and one looks crossed-ish♀️ might bend her over soon.
20230117 090253
20230117 090319

On the 14th I lowered the Mars a little since she was not showing any signs of disliking it. On the 16th she was looking thirsty, a slight droop, but I had also lowered the light, so wasn't sure. Tested moisture levels, dry up top, still wet below... large pots after all... so I did a light watering under the assumption her roots aren't quite to the bottom of my tall pots yet. Switched pot's positions while she drank, let the runt have some good led juice. After a couple hours she was good as new and I switched them back, the runt is a class b citizen at this point. 🤣 Also gave Gorilla Glue, aka the runt, a light watering. I think she's recovered from her ordeal and is growing now. She's at 12 days since I dug her up and removed the seed casing.
20230117 090354

Here's the slightly improved digs
20230117 090650

Side by side
20230117 095529
20230117 090714

My calendar
20230117 093438

Well that's all folks.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Well I suppose it's time for an update, been about a week since the last one. Been a bit of a struggle keeping humidity up, it's been very cold so we had the pellet stove going, which is dry as hell. Added another small humidifier in addition to my big one. Took out the emergency blankets and added a random mirror, hillbilly upgrade lol. Gelato is looking pretty good, she's 2 weeks old today. I say she hopefully, she has some little stigmas starting and one looks crossed-ish♀️ might bend her over soon. View attachment 1320865View attachment 1320866
On the 14th I lowered the Mars a little since she was not showing any signs of disliking it. On the 16th she was looking thirsty, a slight droop, but I had also lowered the light, so wasn't sure. Tested moisture levels, dry up top, still wet below... large pots after all... so I did a light watering under the assumption her roots aren't quite to the bottom of my tall pots yet. Switched pot's positions while she drank, let the runt have some good led juice. After a couple hours she was good as new and I switched them back, the runt is a class b citizen at this point. 🤣 Also gave Gorilla Glue, aka the runt, a light watering. I think she's recovered from her ordeal and is growing now. She's at 12 days since I dug her up and removed the seed casing. View attachment 1320867
Here's the slightly improved digsView attachment 1320868
Side by sideView attachment 1320871View attachment 1320869
My calendarView attachment 1320870
Well that's all folks.
Hey looks good but that mirror has to go...it will burn your leaves...Google it I can't explain well enough but its a no no...white paint is better or Mylar / Panda plastic

Last edited:
NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

Hey looks good but that mirror has to go...it will burn your leaves...Google it I can't explain well enough but its a no no...white paint is better or Mylar / Panda plastic
I agree. The mirror can create hotspots of light if there are small surface imperfections. The light can get concentrated and burn leaves. The white wall is just as good at reflecting usable light in my opinion.

TSD

TSD

Well, another week's gone by, so I suppose it's time for another update... trying not to slack on the diary like I do in summer/fall. Gotta say the ladies grew quite a bit over the last week, though I suppose since they're autos they could flower soon, which seems crazy to me! They had an exciting week, as far as plants are concerned. On the 18th, I switched thier positions, moving the runt, aka Gorilla Glue under the led and Gelato under the light box. On the 21st, I switched them back. I also lowered the Mars like 2 inches. I mixed up some veg nutes at about 1/4 strength with some light mycos added too. They didn't look overly hungry, but looked like they could handle that, and they definitely grew like crazy in the days since then. It had only been 4 days since thier last drink, but that was a light watering. I'm thinking they're big enough now to go until the entire pot is almost dry, these tall pots are tricky, but the roots should be far down by now. I tried some light lst on the Gelato one that day and for 3 days, but determined she didn't really want to cooperate so we abandoned it. I usually try to do lst and feeds close together, I like to think the food helps them recover faster. Her stalk is already thick and woody, but she's short, so it's not ideal right now. Maybe tie some branches out if they grow big enough. Here is Gelato after I bent her over.
20230121 090011
I guess autos are often little bushy things anyway, and one of mine more so cause it got stunted... but Gorilla Glue is catching up nicely, has some mitten shaped leaves and is short as hell, but alive and definitely growing, looking very indica-ish. She's missing a leaf tip cause my cat stowed away and came out to cause mayhem.
20230124 190302
20230124 190202

Gelato has a bit of a lean from my short lst, but she's filling out nicely, really exploded after the feed, that Dutch Science is magic I tell ya! 🤣
20230124 190310
20230124 190136

Gorilla Glue is trying hard to catch up
20230124 190120

Yesterday we switched positions again, and today switched back. That's about all I have, storm coming my way, hoping the power stays on! Having a hard enough time maintaining the humidity without a damn power outage. Might switch heaters from infared to one of my little radiator style... less dry, but need to be here to monitor for a few days first, temperature control isn't as accurate on those. Have a good week folks!

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Well I suppose it's time for an update, been about a week since the last one. Been a bit of a struggle keeping humidity up, it's been very cold so we had the pellet stove going, which is dry as hell. Added another small humidifier in addition to my big one. Took out the emergency blankets and added a random mirror, hillbilly upgrade lol. Gelato is looking pretty good, she's 2 weeks old today. I say she hopefully, she has some little stigmas starting and one looks crossed-ish♀️ might bend her over soon. View attachment 1320865View attachment 1320866
On the 14th I lowered the Mars a little since she was not showing any signs of disliking it. On the 16th she was looking thirsty, a slight droop, but I had also lowered the light, so wasn't sure. Tested moisture levels, dry up top, still wet below... large pots after all... so I did a light watering under the assumption her roots aren't quite to the bottom of my tall pots yet. Switched pot's positions while she drank, let the runt have some good led juice. After a couple hours she was good as new and I switched them back, the runt is a class b citizen at this point. 🤣 Also gave Gorilla Glue, aka the runt, a light watering. I think she's recovered from her ordeal and is growing now. She's at 12 days since I dug her up and removed the seed casing. View attachment 1320867
Here's the slightly improved digsView attachment 1320868
Side by sideView attachment 1320871View attachment 1320869
My calendarView attachment 1320870
Well that's all folks.
I hear ya on the stoves but I have an opposite problem, RH I can handle with the huge dehu in the lung room. But when temps drop below 30f I start both the wood stoves but the basement gets cold, and of course all 3 tents are down there haha, I basically depend on the dehu heat to keep the tents warm at night

Have been contemplating running the tents on opposite 12 hour schedules but the timing to water like that sucks. For example tomorrow I get home at 7am. I have to water the 4x4, then I sleep from 9 till 2 then wake up to water the 4x8 then leave for work at 430 till 7 am the next morning lol, so it’s difficult and one of the reasons I want to switch to full coco with drip, and then full hydro, that way I can monitor but not have to spend 3 hours in tents every 2 days lol

E

elusiveshame

I hear ya on the stoves but I have an opposite problem, RH I can handle with the huge dehu in the lung room. But when temps drop below 30f I start both the wood stoves but the basement gets cold, and of course all 3 tents are down there haha, I basically depend on the dehu heat to keep the tents warm at night

Have been contemplating running the tents on opposite 12 hour schedules but the timing to water like that sucks. For example tomorrow I get home at 7am. I have to water the 4x4, then I sleep from 9 till 2 then wake up to water the 4x8 then leave for work at 430 till 7 am the next morning lol, so it’s difficult and one of the reasons I want to switch to full coco with drip, and then full hydro, that way I can monitor but not have to spend 3 hours in tents every 2 days lol
You could try the auto watering bases (or create your own). I haven’t watered from the top in 2 weeks, aside from a little bit when I upgraded the bases and changed out the wicks.

I only have to refill every few days and they do their own thing.

TSD

TSD

You could try the auto watering bases (or create your own). I haven’t watered from the top in 2 weeks, aside from a little bit when I upgraded the bases and changed out the wicks.

I only have to refill every few days and they do their own thing.
I'm leary of bottom watering myself, seems like it would be harder to monitor and easier to get root rot, and I don't see the water getting to the top of my very tall pots... I know you were talking to Mikedin but I had ti share my 2 cents lol.

E

elusiveshame

I'm leary of bottom watering myself, seems like it would be harder to monitor and easier to get root rot, and I don't see the water getting to the top of my very tall pots... I know you were talking to Mikedin but I had ti share my 2 cents lol.
Totally fair. I was a bit leery on them at first as well, but it seems to be working well for me so far.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Totally fair. I was a bit leery on them at first as well, but it seems to be working well for me so far.

Yeah I would defenitly rather water by hand unless I had a drip system with coco, without getting into full blown hydro, which I plan on doing eventually including the vegtable tent 😁. But besides that the only time I’ve ever bottom watered was to see if the roots would grow down faster after a transplant and spread out, didn’t see much difference but I only did it a few times lol

Saint1

Saint1

I have Ac Infinity self watering pot bases and use them with Ac Infinity 3 gallon fabric pots and was leery as well but i did a test, I filled one with nutrient solution and the other 2 with nothing but run off after watering, The one with the water in the base, doesn't need water and is flourishing. The other 2, needed water. I am in flower now (3rd week) and it does take a while for the roots to get to the bottom and have to have time to "search" for the water source, But they seem to be working, the way it's intended.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I have Ac Infinity self watering pot bases and use them with Ac Infinity 3 gallon fabric pots and was leery as well but i did a test, I filled one with nutrient solution and the other 2 with nothing but run off after watering, The one with the water in the base, doesn't need water and is flourishing. The other 2, needed water. I am in flower now (3rd week) and it does take a while for the roots to get to the bottom and have to have time to "search" for the water source, But they seem to be working, the way it's intended.
I thought those also had a wick line that runs up the inside the pot or maybe that was a different brand

steamroller

steamroller

This when having a moisture meter and holes drilled in buckets or stab through fabric helps you see what you can't see.
I don't always bottom feed but the plant does not always drink the same.
When she wants more I want it there when I am not there.
Not all the time, just the right time.
That is what the trays are for?? 🤣

E

elusiveshame

I thought those also had a wick line that runs up the inside the pot or maybe that was a different brand
Nope, it’s just a pair of wicks going across the riser in an X shape.

You could run a wick inside the pot, fill it with soil, then have the exposed end of the wick go in a reservoir and that would do the same thing.

TSD

TSD

This when having a moisture meter and holes drilled in buckets or stab through fabric helps you see what you can't see.
I don't always bottom feed but the plant does not always drink the same.
When she wants more I want it there when I am not there.
Not all the time, just the right time.
That is what the trays are for?? 🤣
Yeah I have a cheap analog meter, probably time for a new one, and my pots are always full of holes.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Yeah I have a cheap analog meter, probably time for a new one, and my pots are always full of holes.
Same I almost never use the meter it’s in the pouch in the tent though lol, once in awhile I do check the bottom before watering but they stay daily evenly moist in the strawberry fields even in 5 gallon buckets, I did make them look like Swiss cheese when I made them though lol

BB22

BB22

I’m a first time grower. I’m learning. I don’t think your plant is a male. I’m sure someone with more knowledge will post . Good luck. 👍

A pic of one that I’m growing.

4ADBBC9F 6AED 4868 9404 861349269EEC
Top Bottom