Turn for the worse

• Thread starter Fr3nzy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Madbud

Madbud

To get your 20 down to dosage would be like dipping your fingertip in it at swishing in a gallon of water. The mg didn’t need any. For soil, mg makes an organic, lowes carries some promix blends. 50/50 large perlite and you should be okay. The mg potting soil is not good because its full of time release jelly beans that are heavy in nitrogen later. It works but more sugar leaves and less bud plus it gives a metallic taste, jmo

Anthem

Anthem

20-20-20, well that kind of says a lot.
Here is what I would do, replant the plants in plastic containers using the fox farms ocean forest. DO NOT amend with anything. It has perlite in it already.
Secondly I would get the new plastic pot filled so the pot will just have to be filled in the remainder of the way after you put the plant into the pot. Next I would remove the plant from the existing pot and I would carefully flush the plant with low pressure water thru the garden hose. Try to remove as much of the existing soil as possible. Transplant into the new pot with a fair watering. Next fill one extra pot with FFOF to the same level as the rest of the pots. This is going to be your security blanket for the time being. Once you have all of the plants transplanted you are done. Do not touch them or feed them. Every day check the pots for weight. Once the pots weigh the same as the pot with just soil in it, they can be WATERED. Just water, no nutrients. Continue on in this manner until the plants are at the very least 4 more weeks old and then get yourself a PPM meter. Preferable a blue labs pen. Get the combo pack with the PPM meter and the PH meter. After 4 weeks you can begin to feed the plant. Start off with a PPM of say 600 and DO NOT JACK up the nutrients. Once you get into flower you can raise the nutrients. The more you raise the nutrient level the better you have to be at understanding the issues that come with high PPMs. Meaning get a few grows under your belt before you start really feeding the plant. To quote a favorite movie, What do you have to do to win the race?
Well the first thing you have to do is finish the race.
Finish a couple of runs and learn then you can do more.

Anthem

Anthem

Foxfarm is great, but it only has a nominal amount of perlite, I always add 25 - 30% perlite for better drainage and a lighter mix
Always used it straight out of the bag with out amending. Never had any issues with it in the stock form. It drains quite well out of the bag.

Anthem

Anthem

True, but perlite is cheap fill and really essential for long bucket grows.
So you are saying the perlite is more valuable to the plant for long bucket grows than the nutrients in the soil you are displacing? Secondly, by modifying with perlite you are basically changing the properties of the media and creating a mix between a soil and soilless media. Just do not understand the reasoning. But I do add large perlite to the bottom of the pot to allow for drainage.

Anthem

Anthem

True, but perlite is cheap fill and really essential for long bucket grows.
I would never use a 5 gallon bucket for a pot. They have do not allow enough oxygen to get to the roots. Smart pots are great for oxygen getting to the roots. I can see why you would want additional perlite with buckets. But to be honest the cost of a good plastic pot or smart pot far out weights the saving from using a 5 gallon bucket that is free. 5 or 6 bucks is not worth the savings for me.

Madbud

Madbud

I would never use a 5 gallon bucket for a pot. They have do not allow enough oxygen to get to the roots. Smart pots are great for oxygen getting to the roots. I can see why you would want additional perlite with buckets. But to be honest the cost of a good plastic pot or smart pot far out weights the saving from using a 5 gallon bucket that is free. 5 or 6 bucks is not worth the savings for me.
Depends on time frame, i’ve seen pretty amazing plants in 3 gallon buckets but totally agree they are for rookies and experts.

Anthem

Anthem

Depends on time frame, i’ve seen pretty amazing plants in 3 gallon buckets but totally agree they are for rookies and experts.
I have also seen a lot of root issues like root rot in buckets. People should just invest in a pot if they are going to spend the time and money to grow out a plant. While there are some pretty amazing results in buckets there are also plenty of failures because people see others growing in them and they do the same. If you just set the bucket on the ground and it has a full lip like most then your problems are just beginning. Even if you drill holes in the bottom if the bucket is on a smooth surface the lip will cause water retention in the pot. If you must use a bucket. I would say 20 1/2" holes in the bottom and another 30 1/4" holes at a minimum in the sides up to about 5" and use 2 x 4's to allow air to flow under the bucket.

Madbud

Madbud

I have also seen a lot of root issues like root rot in buckets. People should just invest in a pot if they are going to spend the time and money to grow out a plant. While there are some pretty amazing results in buckets there are also plenty of failures because people see others growing in them and they do the same. If you just set the bucket on the ground and it has a full lip like most then your problems are just beginning. Even if you drill holes in the bottom if the bucket is on a smooth surface the lip will cause water retention in the pot. If you must use a bucket. I would say 20 1/2" holes in the bottom and another 30 1/4" holes at a minimum in the sides up to about 5" and use 2 x 4's to allow air to flow under the bucket.
And that doesnt begin to address the heat issues of outdoor buckets, been there done that

Fr3nzy

Fr3nzy

Awesome idea on dry pot for weight comparison. All the help has been awesome.

Fr3nzy

Fr3nzy

Everything repotted, ro installed, I'm assuming the burnt yellow leaves (older growth) will still die off. Even before repot new growth did look good. Thinking build up over ti.e is why old leaves was affected worse?

Fr3nzy

Fr3nzy

Looking much better, thanks all for the help. I'll post another pic in a couple days
20200429 230837
20200429 230932

Fr3nzy

Fr3nzy

Yes I slightly jumped the gun on the watering today, 75% dry on top and not very moist a knuckle deep. Still should have waited another day. I ended up using dr earths organic soil that I added slightly less then 50% perlite. The 4 bigger plants i am flowering in the room, if female(I hope) then the others are going outside start of june. I have brought a bookshelf in that's going to be converted into seedling and veg box, and hope get timing down to have ready to flower when previous is done. Going to grow my 40 bag seeds ( all same strain) try and get this figured out then invest in some seeds. Very glad I found this site. Tons of help and loads of old topics that have been great help.

Madbud

Madbud

If i can suggest a way to germinate, half inch of perlite topped with soil. Add water in a 4:1 soil:water ratio. Plant the seed nearly an inch deep, the soil pulls the seed shell off as it emerges. Cover airtight and place in a warm place, even a sunny window for 2-3 days. Won’t need water for at least a week. Works for me.

Fr3nzy

Fr3nzy

If i can suggest a way to germinate, half inch of perlite topped with soil. Add water in a 4:1 soil:water ratio. Plant the seed nearly an inch deep, the soil pulls the seed shell off as it emerges. Cover airtight and place in a warm place, even a sunny window for 2-3 days. Won’t need water for at least a week. Works for me.
I been using wetted paper towel, so far every seed I have put in has popped, but did brake one taking off the paper towel, would have been pissed if that was a $10 $15 seed lol. Wish I would of done more first time around to see what my light can do. It says a 4x4 but the edge is definitely weaker. Should have done 3 600 watt lights and not a 2k. (Led)

Top Bottom