Update, new brownish/grey colors, looks bad.

• Thread starter Psyko694
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Psyko694

Before you put these into the cups, were they crowded and possibly overlapping leaves? Leaf damage usually takes a week or two to show up after the damage has already been done. Think back to what you did or sprayed a week or two ago, when they were smaller? Its sort of unusual to see leaf damage so quickly... it doesn't look like a nutrition issue and looks sort of like the damage you see from excessive Rh, with problem being seen where leaves overlap each other. More info is needed, such as growing medium, light, stuff like that. Or did I miss it somewhere? You will probably be OK once you get things in their permanent homes and let them grow without interruption. It's good to be vigilant and looking for problems, but don't go crazy over every misshapen leaves... it's all part of growing and learning. Keep up the good work!
I gave the medium in the other reply. Lights are fluorescent i got from a hydro store. I dont have all much more info than that. Was pretty much a germ and see what happens. My buddy whos done several outdoor grows doesnt use all the bells and whistles either. Real countryman who plants his plants, simply watches over them, and puts them outside when the time comes. But because hes an older guy who doesnt read and research and is actively against reading and researching (rolls eyes, old farmers for you, hate technology), i dont trust him as much. He thinks my plants were over-watered despite literally having none of the classic signs while HIS were showing droopyness/swelling/inward curled tips, and me trying to tell HIM that his were over-watered. They dont listen do they lmao. When it comes to what i did a week or two ago.. the only thing i can think of, literally, is good natural spring water while occasionally misting all of my plants.

P

Psyko694

Before you put these into the cups, were they crowded and possibly overlapping leaves? Leaf damage usually takes a week or two to show up after the damage has already been done. Think back to what you did or sprayed a week or two ago, when they were smaller? Its sort of unusual to see leaf damage so quickly... it doesn't look like a nutrition issue and looks sort of like the damage you see from excessive Rh, with problem being seen where leaves overlap each other. More info is needed, such as growing medium, light, stuff like that. Or did I miss it somewhere? You will probably be OK once you get things in their permanent homes and let them grow without interruption. It's good to be vigilant and looking for problems, but don't go crazy over every misshapen leaves... it's all part of growing and learning. Keep up the good work!
Sorry, no my leaves werent overlapping. They are starting to a bit now though. I going to get bigger pots today and transplant as soon as i can.

P

Psyko694

Wish i could be more helpful/provide more info. My first grow so im deprived of a lot of tools. The forums have given me a lot of info these past few months, as to how to properly go about things, but i was hoping i wouldnt see something like this so early. Hopefully its just really hungry/a little couped up. Ive only used a root starter feed twice, at 1/4 dosage advised (10 - 52 - 10). There are a total of 29 plants, all given the same dosage, with only 2 of my 6 plants showing symptoms. Anywho, thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply.

P

Psyko694

Well........ i just found the issue guys......... ive been checking my 6 plants, right? I havent seen a single god damned bug. But.. i have seen a tiny amount of white stripes. Never thought much of it. So i decide to thoroughly look at buddies plants, who some have a decent amount of white splotches, that made me think more of webs. What do you know...... spidermites. I can see them all on the undersides of some of his leaves. Yet ive checked my own.. and have never seen them. I very distinctly see them. Pepperish specks on the underside, and they were falling off. Im thinking this may be it.

P

Psyko694

Ive simmered a puree of fresh jalapenos, garlic, onion, and cayenne pepper then filtered the veggie matter. Gonna isolate mine from his, spray them down every couple of days for a few weeks, see what happens.

P

Psyko694

Seedlings til at least a fully developed five frond leaf as a general rule. Whats your weight difference now?
Ok all my plants have developped 5 frond leaves. I made a mixture of jalapeno/garlic/onion/cayenne, sprayed them down in case it is the spidermites (pretty darn certain i found some on buddies plants as well as white streaks, i cant seem to find em anymore lmao). Going to do that every couple of days and alternate between a hydrogen peroxide mixture aswell incase it is some sort of fungus.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Well........ i just found the issue guys......... ive been checking my 6 plants, right? I havent seen a single god damned bug. But.. i have seen a tiny amount of white stripes. Never thought much of it. So i decide to thoroughly look at buddies plants, who some have a decent amount of white splotches, that made me think more of webs. What do you know...... spidermites. I can see them all on the undersides of some of his leaves. Yet ive checked my own.. and have never seen them. I very distinctly see them. Pepperish specks on the underside, and they were falling off. Im thinking this may be it.
I was going to mention that the pattern that was seen on the leaves...not the grey stuff but the discoloration on each rib of the larger leaves... that is typical spider mite damage, I just fought them off myself and had some of the same leaf markings that you are seeing, although they took a few weeks to show up. Prior to that, the only sign was tiny red dots on the older fan leaves. They are a bitch to get rid of, although I used a pyrethrin fogger during vegging to knock them off. Here is a pic for you....

Bugs2
Bugs3
P

Psyko694

I was going to mention that the pattern that was seen on the leaves...not the grey stuff but the discoloration on each rib of the larger leaves... that is typical spider mite damage, I just fought them off myself and had some of the same leaf markings that you are seeing, although they took a few weeks to show up. Prior to that, the only sign was tiny red dots on the older fan leaves. They are a bitch to get rid of, although I used a pyrethrin fogger during vegging to knock them off. Here is a pic for you....
Weird thing is none of my plants have bugs. And i cant seem to find them on buddies plants either anymore. Saw maybe 2 since i spotted five specks this morning on the underside of his leaf. I sprayed them down with my death juice just in case (jalapeno/garlic/onion/cayenne). Gonna do a HP mix too in case its a fungus of some sorts.

P

Psyko694

Mr jimster. Do you think in safe if i switch between the HP mixture and the death juice daily? As in.. one spritz of HP mixture one day, then switch to the death juice the following day?

P

Psyko694

I did a spray of the death juice.. as it dried, ive noticed it leaves oily specks on the leaves. Is this anything to worry about? The death juice = jalapeno/onion/garlic/cayenne simmered tincture. If its an issue, ill wipe them down. Or hopefully.. with the HP spritz.. the oily shit gets washed off.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Mr jimster. Do you think in safe if i switch between the HP mixture and the death juice daily? As in.. one spritz of HP mixture one day, then switch to the death juice the following day?
I truthfully don't know if the voodoo potion will hurt anything or not. I have seen people use it but never really saw any solid info on it. I used a flea fogger for cats, and it worked great. I also used Jack;s Dead Bug or something like that, which is slightly different than Pyrethrin. Between both, they took care of the spider mites (I added the Dead Bug stuff to the water, so the roots were treated also, although I don't think it is a systemic insecticide. I wasn't in flowering yet, though. I'd be reluctant to use anything during flowering and have put up with some shitty buds from a white fly battle, years ago. The buds were covered with a sugary substance (honeydew) that burns like sugar, leaving a nasty black ash residue and making it hard to burn. Spider mites can cause similar damage...I was really surprised how badly some leaves were affected. You couldn't see the damage at 1st, it was just tiny, tiny red specks on the leaves...it almost looked normal. It took me a few days to finally spot them as they were almost too small to see... a speck of pepper is gigantic next to one of these bugs. Your plants look good currently... keep on top of those bugs to keep them looking good.

mancorn

mancorn

It's insect damage. It's not actually discoloration, but rather that the outer layer (cuticle) of the leaf is getting chomped. If you're visiting a friend who has mites, then a good chance you do also, since the mite can get on your clothes and easy to transport around. (You should swap your clothes and shower up after visiting other growers if you're growing indoors.)

If you're growing outdoors you're going to have mites (as they're basically everywhere) but it's normally not a huge problem and can be controlled with a regiment of neem oil. The neem will only kill the adults, so you need to do multiple applications. Even if you don't have mites, the neem will help protect against fungas and molds and can be used throughout veg. (Spray in the evening or early morning as sunlight/neem will burn the heck out of your plants.) Also a good idea to remove any lower leaves and branches as that's where the highest infection will be. You can also spray in early flower, but try avoiding the buds and just try and apply to the lower leaves and dirt. Don't use neem in mid or late flowering. You'll never eradicate the mites completely but it shouldn't be overwhelming as you should have naturally defenses to keep them in check.

If you're growing indoors you'll be in for a serious battle and if your plants are young, better just to trash em, bleach wash your grow room and start over as there's almost no organic way to rid yourself of them.

Freshly neemed

Last edited:
P

Psyko694

It's insect damage. It's not actually discoloration, but rather that the outer layer (cuticle) of the leaf is getting chomped. If you're visiting a friend who has mites, then a good chance you do also, since the mite can get on your clothes and easy to transport around. (You should swap your clothes and shower up after visiting other growers if you're growing indoors.)

If you're growing outdoors you're going to have mites (as they're basically everywhere) but it's normally not a huge problem and can be controlled with a regiment of neem oil. The neem will only kill the adults, so you need to do multiple applications. Even if you don't have mites, the neem will help protect against fungas and molds and can be used throughout veg. (Spray in the evening or early morning as sunlight/neem will burn the heck out of your plants.) Also a good idea to remove any lower leaves and branches as that's where the highest infection will be. You can also spray in early flower, but try avoiding the buds and just try and apply to the lower leaves and dirt. Don't use neem in mid or late flowering. You'll never eradicate the mites completely but it shouldn't be overwhelming as you should have naturally defenses to keep them in check.

If you're growing indoors you'll be in for a serious battle and if your plants are young, better just to trash em, bleach wash your grow room and start over as there's almost no organic way to rid yourself of them.

Freshly neemed
View attachment 870433View attachment 870434
My buddy works in a veggie field. Chances are that he brought them in, the son of a bitch! XD i made a death juice and sprayed them down. Was thinking of also going iso alcohol/hydrogen peroxide route. Im probably gonna move my little girls to another house free of any kind of plant/people who frequent other plants. No way in hell am i tossing these. Seeds cost me 85 bucks, and im poor as hell. Since i sprayed yesterday, the damage didnt get any worse the way it was slowly progressing day by day. Going to see what happens tomorrow. I might try neem if the other venues dont work out. Thank you!

P

Psyko694

Icant find any mites for the life of me man. A few red specks here and there, but that was the cayenne in my death juice. What i can confirm was a big beetle looking bug last week. Killed the first, then saw a second. Killed it too. No way its a mature mite, way too big. The chomps also look way bigger than what spidermites would do. The amount of damage there is would correspond to a full blown infestation when that is simply not the case. Could it be possible that there was one or two bigger bugs slowly chomping away? Either way, i got iso and peroxide (in case its a fungal issue). All my roots are fine. Nice white, no discoloration.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I don't think its bugs at all. Looks more like a PH issue.
Are you watering with tap water?
If so what is the PH of your tap water?

Are you PH'ing the water before feeding?

I'm not seeing symptoms of them being root bound but you will want to move those girls to a bigger pot sooner than later.

P

Psyko694

I don't think its bugs at all. Looks more like a PH issue.
Are you watering with tap water?
If so what is the PH of your tap water?

Are you PH'ing the water before feeding?

I'm not seeing symptoms of them being root bound but you will want to move those girls to a bigger pot sooner than later.
Cant PH. No proper tools. I used tap water to moisten the soil originally, but since then its been ozonated natural spring water (not entirely sure if the ozonated aspect is bad). I made sure to strip it of chlorine though before using by going back and forth between cups a good 20 times.

Dan789

Dan789

rolls eyes, old farmers for you, hate technology
Calling bullshit here, your buddy may not research anything but that’s not the story on this site. To go off with this type of blanket statement won’t win too many followers or sympathizers for that matter, PS what have you found out on your own? Just a curious 68 year old member...

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Cant PH. No proper tools. I used tap water to moisten the soil originally, but since then its been ozonated natural spring water (not entirely sure if the ozonated aspect is bad). I made sure to strip it of chlorine though before using by going back and forth between cups a good 20 times.

Get yourself a PH meter that comes with calibration mixes. A cheap one is better than none. Also a TDS meter and calibration mixes. These are an absolute must!!!

Spring water can have a PH over 8 way to high so switch to R/O or D/O. R/O is usually cheaper and can get it at most grocery stores or aquarium stores in 5 Gal jugs or buy an R/O unit.

Tap water usually contains chloramines and you cannot just off gas them. But its probably better at this point than spring water. Google you local water report to check the PH ranges and contents of your water. If you can post it here so we can see it.

What nutrients are you using or planning to use for feeding?

Post a pic of your setup and plants close up and whole plant and include a list of all your equipment. Your not going to get accurate info unless this is done. Several factors could be the reason you are seeing what you are seeing and if you want good advice you need to provide good info.

My best guess is PH swings or root issues at this point.

Last edited:
P

Psyko694

Calling bullshit here, your buddy may not research anything but that’s not the story on this site. To go off with this type of blanket statement won’t win too many followers or sympathizers for that matter, PS what have you found out on your own? Just a curious 68 year old member...
"Wont win many followers/sympathizers" - I am not here to win "followers and sympathizers". I was asking for opinions from educated folks who also have multiple grows under their belt, and not simply someone who grows without knowing the actual biological needs/biological structure/various pathogens/various teks and tips.

"To go off with this blanket statement" - Considering i live in the country.. have a family of farmers... have dug many cedars in buttfuck nowhere towns.. harvested veggies in many fields.. have spoken to many old school people from towns that feel like you are time traveling when you enter the area (as well as the mentality of most of the people there).. i feel entirely safe to say that yes, the majority of them are not tech savy and in fact dont really like technology all that much, as they get their kids to do any work involving the use of technology.

That is not to say that there arent any exceptions, because there most definitely is, but you also cant sit there and use yourself (one person, small numbers) to represent the whole. Im not saying all old farmers are the same, im describing the typical old farmer archetype which is fairly widespread, and of which my buddy happens to fall into when he says things like "pfff yeah reading and research, thats nothing, bla bla bla".

As for what ive learnt.. many things. By no means an adept student, but ive studied various deficiencies and their resulting effects, what happens when one over-feeds, a few different types of mites, a few other critters, different kinds of fungi/bacterial infections, what compounds are safe for a plant/which arent, stuff like that.

And when my buddy tells me im the one over-watering.. while HIS plants are the ones displaying swollen leaves/droopyness/inward curling of tips.. i hope you understand why ive turned to this site? I grow mushrooms but decided to try my hand at weed. Reading/studying goes a loooong way.

Not trying to argue, as yes, i understand that generalizations go both ways (representing the few using the many, representing the many using the few), but one cannot simply deny archetypes either and how people tend to fall into these patterns.

P

Psyko694

Get yourself a PH meter that comes with calibration mixes. A cheap one is better than none. Also a TDS meter and calibration mixes. These are an absolute must!!!

Spring water can have a PH over 8 way to high so switch to R/O or D/O. R/O is usually cheaper and can get it at most grocery stores or aquarium stores in 5 Gal jugs or buy an R/O unit.

Tap water usually contains chloramines and you cannot just off gas them. But its probably better at this point than spring water. Google you local water report to check the PH ranges and contents of your water. If you can post it here so we can see it.

What nutrients are you using or planning to use for feeding?

Post a pic of your setup and plants close up and whole plant and include a list of all your equipment. Your not going to get accurate info unless this is done. Several factors could be the reason you are seeing what you are seeing and if you want good advice you need to provide good info.

My best guess is PH swings or root issues at this point.
I wish i could be of more help, in order to receive more help XD but this is my first grow. I grow cubes but decided to do a little outdoor grow this year so i wouldnt have to buy bud all year long. Literally starting with nothing as well as no cash atm for all the bells and whistles. Im going to google the PH of my area's water as well as the PH of the company im using (provided theyve tested it and posted it online). Thanks to all of you. I wasnt expecting any accurate answer seeing as how ive omitted quite a few important details, but i was hoping for a little nudge along the right path. So many symptoms seem fairly similar too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom