Update, new brownish/grey colors, looks bad.

• Thread starter Psyko694
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Psyko694

I'm just gonna say it... Don't use treatment for anything until you confirm that its a problem. Just my opinion and not trying to start an argument
I feel you. Ive transplanted, fed/watered, gonna wait it out a few days and see what happens, if it continues/spreads to new leaves. Im going to blast them a single time with peroxide though, because i did confirm the grey mildew in buddies cup. Fairly close to mine as well.

mancorn

mancorn

I agree with you Agua Man, chasing an imaginary problem will normally make things worse. But most growers use neem as a preventative, so use it BEFORE there's a problem (just like you use any fertilizer).

Psyko694 I use hydrogen peroxide as a mouth wash, so it's not going to cause you any problems, but it's normally used to combat mildew or mold so not sure why you would need it. I think the R/O water suggestion was so that you could make sure your PH was in check (but unless you have a meter you won't know anything as your PH will change substantially once you add your nutrients).

mancorn

mancorn

In my neck of the woods (not far from the coast in northern CA) powered mildew, mold, and bud worms are a serious problem. If I wait until I see any of them before starting treatment, I'm screwed. As an organic grower you're limited to in what you can use and I'm not going to be spraying my flowers with anything (even if it is organic). So it certainly makes sense to prevent problem as opposed to waiting until you have a problem.

P

Psyko694

I agree with you Agua Man, chasing an imaginary problem will normally make things worse. But most growers use neem as a preventative, so use it BEFORE there's a problem (just like you use any fertilizer).

Psyko694 I use hydrogen peroxide as a mouth wash, so it's not going to cause you any problems, but it's normally used to combat mildew or mold so not sure why you would need it. I think the R/O water suggestion was so that you could make sure your PH was in check (but unless you have a meter you won't know anything as your PH will change substantially once you add your nutrients).
I did the RO but no i dont have a pH meter so im sort of gambling at the moment. A risk i had to accept. I got the peroxide exactly for mold in case what i had was some sort of mold/mildew (due to me mentioning that buddies cup had the grey mildew on the top layer of soil). I know it doesnt differentiate between good and bad microorganisms as it oxidizes all in its path, but what i was wondering was is there really much beneficial activity on the leaves themselves? Or is that mostly in the soil. Is it safe to gently mist as a preventative measure? Or would it harm too many beneficial organisms, provided they are also on leaves, doing what they are supposed to be doing. Anyway ok enough going down the rabbit hole. You guys have been a great help thank you all lol.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I feel you. Ive transplanted, fed/watered, gonna wait it out a few days and see what happens, if it continues/spreads to new leaves. Im going to blast them a single time with peroxide though, because i did confirm the grey mildew in buddies cup. Fairly close to mine as well.
Like i say i'm not an indoor soil grower but I would carefully remove the effected top layer and allow it to dry out before watering. Place a fan so you are providing indirect airflow through the plants and across the top of the soil. That should be enough to solve the mildew issue, its more than likely from soil being to wet with no airflow. Peroxide will kill off good and bad microbes so it would be a last resort for me personally.

Correct it was to attempt to correct PH or at least improve it. A PH pen is still needed but with what he has at the moment i'm hoping it gets him by until he gets one.

In my neck of the woods (not far from the coast in northern CA) powered mildew, mold, and bud worms are a serious problem. If I wait until I see any of them before starting treatment, I'm screwed. As an organic grower you're limited to in what you can use and I'm not going to be spraying my flowers with anything (even if it is organic). So it certainly makes sense to prevent problem as opposed to waiting until you have a problem.
We can agree to disagree and there are many ways to skin a cat. I'm not claiming you are wrong in acting preventatively but its just not how I do things. I feel if you have healthy plants in a good environment you don't have issues with PM, mold, bugs etc. An unhealthy plant or environment however will attract bugs, mold etc. There are lots of factors of course that can change that so I can see your point but its not for me.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Headed to store for R/O then i will take pics of plants/roots/pots i bought in town today for the first transplant.
If you are worried about the Ph of your local water (7.7), why would you consider adding sodium bicarb/baking soda? 7.7 is slightly alkaline, but not off of acidic water of 6.3 when you compare it to 7.0. When you start adding this to bring Ph up, that to bring Ph down, Neem oil for bugs, Fertilizer for deficiencies, flushes for excesses...it gets like being a kid again and taking apart a watch. No matter how carefully you worked, it ended up getting screwed up. Your plants don't look too bad, an chasing Ph and stuff like that is going to drive you crazy from the aftereffects of Ph swings, such as nutrient lock and toxicity. If this problem fell into my lap, I would treat for bugs, flush the soil out well, and see where you stand afterwards. There are a lot of variables and until some are eliminated, this is a best guess answer. I would shoot for 6.5 to 7.5 Ph and flush the potentially high levels out. Stabilize the Ph and get on a light feeding schedule and see what happens. At this point there isn't much else you can do.

Madbud

Madbud

Alright thank you. The one gentleman suggested never more than 50 grams of water. Perhaps ill just scale some water out LOL and go from there i suppose. Thank you for the help man.. i really appreciate it.
50 grams in a solo cup for a seedling. Now you have drainage you can’t really overwater them, but you have to let the soil dry out before water/feed again. Looks good.

lunarob

lunarob

I'm lunarob.... I'm an over-waterer....
I don't want to admit it but, even when I'm trying not to, I will overwater. The thing is I'm in humid central. This combo sucks. So I find out quick if overwatering is my problem by poking holes in my containers with a soldering iron...my trusted friend. If my medium drains well I can't go wrong and the difference is notable. And with seedlings in small containers I will moisten first from the bottom if i need...letting a minute of capillary action give just enough moisture to attract roots. But now I really don't water until after I see roots appearing at the bottom (I'm a liar here). A small ziploc covering the seedling and container keeps in all the moisture I need until the plant is clearly drinking. I still have watering anxiety... If you're like me... a new cultivator and spend alot of time staring at your plants(leaf meditaion's my excuse)...I basically am a hydroponic system and should think of my medium as such...just droppin a line if it helps..

P

Psyko694

50 grams in a solo cup for a seedling. Now you have drainage you can’t really overwater them, but you have to let the soil dry out before water/feed again. Looks good.
I had
I didnt water till run off yesterday. Was worried i shouldnt. Should i now in case they didnt get enough? Or wait till it all dries out a bit.

P

Psyko694

I don't want to admit it but, even when I'm trying not to, I will overwater. The thing is I'm in humid central. This combo sucks. So I find out quick if overwatering is my problem by poking holes in my containers with a soldering iron...my trusted friend. If my medium drains well I can't go wrong and the difference is notable. And with seedlings in small containers I will moisten first from the bottom if i need...letting a minute of capillary action give just enough moisture to attract roots. But now I really don't water until after I see roots appearing at the bottom (I'm a liar here). A small ziploc covering the seedling and container keeps in all the moisture I need until the plant is clearly drinking. I still have watering anxiety... If you're like me... a new cultivator and spend alot of time staring at your plants(leaf meditaion's my excuse)...I basically am a hydroponic system and should think of my medium as such...just droppin a line if it helps..
I think i underwatered this time lmao. The leaves are getting so dry and brittle the little white hairs are sticking out. I was worried they were eggs but when you rub against the grain on a leaf, you feel the spiky hairs. It looks like those are the hairs themselves and the leaf is so dehydrated.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I think i underwatered this time lmao. The leaves are getting so dry and brittle the little white hairs are sticking out. I was worried they were eggs but when you rub against the grain on a leaf, you feel the spiky hairs. It looks like those are the hairs themselves and the leaf is so dehydrated.
Pics... I doubt it's underwatered at this point. Could be several things. RH, fan placement, temp, root issue or just transplant stress. What's the RH, temps?

I would wait a few days before changing any of the above. Plants get stressed let em settle in.

P

Psyko694

Pics... I doubt it's underwatered at this point. Could be several things. RH, fan placement, temp, root issue or just transplant stress. What's the RH, temps?

I would wait a few days before changing any of the above. Plants get stressed let em settle in.
Not underwatered itself i just meant yesterday when i transplanted, i dont think i put enough water to be nice and moist all over. Well see. I was working heavily against time yesterday so i didnt moisten the pro-mix. I added water around the middle where the solo cup was buried and then around the side of it. Was worried saturating the whole pot would be an issue due to the 50g suggestion, which i scaled out, and was basically nothing. But now im thinking maybe i should have watered till run off. Maybe ill wait a few days then do it. The room heater is set at 21 celsius but i dont know humidity. Got a fan in there too though. Anywho ill keep you guys updated see what happens. What ever it is, none of the new growth is showing it (except the tiny yellow blotching/browning i showed in my first thread).

E

ehGrowGreen

I also suffer from overwatering syndrome sometime. The best thing for me is using much less water, and doing it more frequently. Less is more when you are an overwaterer

P

Psyko694

Well.. my plants definitely went through a pH swing since changing water. New growth leaves went yellow, now slowly started to regain the green with yellow splotches here and there. The dying of the lower leaves seems to have stopped at least. Well see what happens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom