Update, new brownish/grey colors, looks bad.

• Thread starter Psyko694
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dan789

Dan789

"Wont win many followers/sympathizers" - I am not here to win "followers and sympathizers". I was asking for opinions from educated folks who also have multiple grows under their belt, and not simply someone who grows without knowing the actual biological needs/biological structure/various pathogens/various teks and tips.

"To go off with this blanket statement" - Considering i live in the country.. have a family of farmers... have dug many cedars in buttfuck nowhere towns.. harvested veggies in many fields.. have spoken to many old school people from towns that feel like you are time traveling when you enter the area (as well as the mentality of most of the people there).. i feel entirely safe to say that yes, the majority of them are not tech savy and in fact dont really like technology all that much, as they get their kids to do any work involving the use of technology.

That is not to say that there arent any exceptions, because there most definitely is, but you also cant sit there and use yourself (one person, small numbers) to represent the whole. Im not saying all old farmers are the same, im describing the typical old farmer archetype which is fairly widespread, and of which my buddy happens to fall into when he says things like "pfff yeah reading and research, thats nothing, bla bla bla".

As for what ive learnt.. many things. By no means an adept student, but ive studied various deficiencies and their resulting effects, what happens when one over-feeds, a few different types of mites, a few other critters, different kinds of fungi/bacterial infections, what compounds are safe for a plant/which arent, stuff like that.

And when my buddy tells me im the one over-watering.. while HIS plants are the ones displaying swollen leaves/droopyness/inward curling of tips.. i hope you understand why ive turned to this site? I grow mushrooms but decided to try my hand at weed. Reading/studying goes a loooong way.

Not trying to argue, as yes, i understand that generalizations go both ways (representing the few using the many, representing the many using the few), but one cannot simply deny archetypes either and how people tend to fall into these patterns.
So prove my suspicions wrong...look up and figure out what causing your own problem...good luck.

P

Psyko694

I don't think its bugs at all. Looks more like a PH issue.
Are you watering with tap water?
If so what is the PH of your tap water?

Are you PH'ing the water before feeding?

I'm not seeing symptoms of them being root bound but you will want to move those girls to a bigger pot sooner than later.
Considering there is 30 plants, all watered with the same water, yet only two are showing symptoms, is it still likely that its PH? Could it be that these two strains are simply more sensitive? As they are different than the rest.

P

Psyko694

So prove my suspicions wrong...look up and figure out what causing your own problem...good luck.
Well.. i have. It could be many things. Which is why i am asking people with more experience AND knowledge. I have the theory, but im missing the experience. At this point, i couldnt tell you. Originally, i figured i had fucked it up with my tap water, but then i saw the beetle bugs, as well as having mentioned in an earlier comment that one of my buddies plants had grey mildew on the top layer of soil. So you see.. ;p its not that simple for me. Trying to narrow it down using abductive reasoning paired with the experience of others.

P

Psyko694

I don't think its bugs at all. Looks more like a PH issue.
Are you watering with tap water?
If so what is the PH of your tap water?

Are you PH'ing the water before feeding?

I'm not seeing symptoms of them being root bound but you will want to move those girls to a bigger pot sooner than later.
Bloody fucking hell. That is it. Thank you. I figured perhaps my original water, but not this one. Had read that it was ok, but i completely forgot to factor in that different sources = potentially different pH, like an idiot. Grey county ontario natural spring water.. read the report, pH of 7.7 -_- fucking brutal. Going to buy R/O water now. Should i add anything else to lower the acidity a bit? Anything i can add over the counter, such as a bit of baking soda? Ill look into it now.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Considering there is 30 plants, all watered with the same water, yet only two are showing symptoms, is it still likely that its PH? Could it be that these two strains are simply more sensitive? As they are different than the rest.
Were they clone or seed? Its possible they might be just a bit more sensitive.

Have you transplanted yet?

You won't see any improvement in the leaves that are damaged only the new growth. So if the old leaves are not getting worse I would just sit tight and pay attention to the new growth. But I would transplant and change to R/O.

Can you take a pic of the roots if you have not transplanted yet?

P

Psyko694

You won't see any improvement in the leaves that are damaged only the new growth. So if the old leaves are not getting worse I would just sit tight and pay attention to the new growth. But I would transplant and change to R/O.

Headed to store for R/O then i will take pics of plants/roots/pots i bought in town today for the first transplant.

P

Psyko694

And they were seeds sorry.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Bloody fucking hell. That is it. Thank you. I figured perhaps my original water, but not this one. Had read that it was ok, but i completely forgot to factor in that different sources = potentially different pH, like an idiot. Grey county ontario natural spring water.. read the report, pH of 7.7 -_- fucking brutal. Going to buy R/O water now. Should i add anything else to lower the acidity a bit? Anything i can add over the counter, such as a bit of baking soda? Ill look into it now.
Just add 1/4 nutes at most for now. R/O should have a PH around 6 so you will not have to PH depending on the nutes you use. It has a low buffering capacity but most nutes are meant to be used with R/O. Also get those ladies into a bigger pot

P

Psyko694

Just add 1/4 nutes at most for now. R/O should have a PH around 6 so you will not have to PH depending on the nutes you use. It has a low buffering capacity but most nutes are meant to be used with R/O. Also get those ladies into a bigger pot
Should i wait a bit before transplanting? Soil isnt completely dry (an inch or do down). Also.. is it alright to start with soil but then transplant into promix. I was stuck getting aquafina reverse osmosis. Walmart didnt carry any, so the dollar store it was. Cheap enough. 1 dollar per 1,5L. Checked online, the aquafina reverse osmosis tests around 6 so i should be good.

P

Psyko694

Alright.

The first row of plants are mine.

The three pics of roots involve my biggest plant having the most roots (this is an afflicted one), as well as the second biggest (also afflicted). The third is my smallest plant with no where near as many roots.

And then these are the pots i got. Drilled holes in the bottom and along the bottom of the sides.

Im going to transplant today. Not dry dry, but not really wet. Just a bit humid. Hopefully its alright to go from soil to pro-mix however. No choice aha.

20190514 150656
20190514 150731
20190514 150750
20190514 150817
20190514 151038
20190514 151100
P

Psyko694

Final product. How much water should i water them (at 1/4 feed dosage). Whole pot saturated till run off like ive been doing?

20190514 155047
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Final product. How much water should i water them (at 1/4 feed dosage). Whole pot saturated till run off like ive been doing?
I'm a hydro grower and never grown indoor dirt so I would wait for the dirt guys to answer that. Several have posted in here already so hopefully they chime in. But i would assume you do not want to water to the point of runoff yet with them being so young.

P

Psyko694

I'm a hydro grower and never grown indoor dirt so I would wait for the dirt guys to answer that. Several have posted in here already so hopefully they chime in. But i would assume you do not want to water to the point of runoff yet with them being so young.
Alright thank you. The one gentleman suggested never more than 50 grams of water. Perhaps ill just scale some water out LOL and go from there i suppose. Thank you for the help man.. i really appreciate it.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I use containers about that size, I would water them with about a cup and a half, wait & observe the runoff, there should be some although not a copious amount. I then let it completely dry before I water again, takes about 2 to 3 days depending on growing conditions, good luck

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Should i wait a bit before transplanting? Soil isnt completely dry (an inch or do down). Also.. is it alright to start with soil but then transplant into promix. I was stuck getting aquafina reverse osmosis. Walmart didnt carry any, so the dollar store it was. Cheap enough. 1 dollar per 1,5L. Checked online, the aquafina reverse osmosis tests around 6 so i should be good.
Also imo you want your pH at 6.5 in soil and when you add nutes it's going to drop that 6.0 even lower so make sure you check your pH for best results

mancorn

mancorn

Psyko694 do you have a jewelers loupe to inspect your plants? I would say almost assuredly this is insect damage - either thrips (which are a super common insect) or mites, neither of which you will see with your naked eye. The young thrips are very small and clear and hard to see even with a loupe. (When they get older and dark they're much easier to see.) Both leave silver gray patches on the leaves when they pierce the plant tissue. Just do a google search on "thrip damage" and then search by images.

P

Psyko694

Psyko694 do you have a jewelers loupe to inspect your plants? I would say almost assuredly this is insect damage - either thrips (which are a super common insect) or mites, neither of which you will see with your naked eye. The young thrips are very small and clear and hard to see even with a loupe. (When they get older and dark they're much easier to see.) Both leave silver gray patches on the leaves when they pierce the plant tissue. Just do a google search on "thrip damage" and then search by images.
The thrip damage seems to be more sporadic, i dont know. What i have starts within the middle of the rib on the leaf and spreads out. Its very ordered. Im paranoid as fuck that i have bugs regardless. Did everything else i had to do, probably going to do iso/water just ti be safe.

mancorn

mancorn

Well grab a bottle of neem and give em a spray. As long as you do it at lights out there's no downside. As I said they actual sell the stuff as a "leaf polish" just to make your house plants look nice, so not like you're using some nasty chemical, but it will knock down a host of bugs. Most growers use it as a preventative for bugs and mildew. I sprayed this girl earlier today and it makes her all pretty.

IMG 1414

P

Psyko694

Another thing to co
Well grab a bottle of neem and give em a spray. As long as you do it at lights out there's no downside. As I said they actual sell the stuff as a "leaf polish" just to make your house plants look nice, so not like you're using some nasty chemical, but it will knock down a host of bugs. Most growers use it as a preventative for bugs and mildew. I sprayed this girl earlier today and it makes her all pretty.

View attachment 870600
I cant afford neem at the moment. Is iso/water fine? Ive even heard of hydrogen peroxide. Either of these fine?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm just gonna say it... Don't use treatment for anything until you confirm that its a problem. Just my opinion and not trying to start an argument

Top Bottom