Upgrading lights

• Thread starter blazinlow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
blazinlow

blazinlow

Hello all I just finished up a rdwc undercurrent grow. I'm using a 5x5 tent and have 8x qb132s at 480 Watts. The buds came out very small which I imagine is due to the lack of watts per sqf. I'm considering adding 4x qb96 v2 at 640 watts in the centre and moving the qb132s to the perimeter for the next run. Any input? Good idea or something else recommended? Thanks

SadBadGrower

SadBadGrower

Hello all I just finished up a rdwc undercurrent grow. I'm using a 5x5 tent and have 8x qb132s at 480 Watts. The buds came out very small which I imagine is due to the lack of watts per sqf. I'm considering adding 4x qb96 v2 at 640 watts in the centre and moving the qb132s to the perimeter for the next run. Any input? Good idea or something else recommended? Thanks
Not saying it was or wasn't the lights but there's a few factors that play the role of bud size.....strains and temps also determine bud sizes too.

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
The center of the canopy should have told the tale.

blazinlow

blazinlow

Thanks for the input. The buds were all pretty much equal in size and I had 2 different strains going with basically the same size buds. The top colas were all 2 grams dry. Would everyone agree that 480 watts at the wall is significantly underpowered for my 5x5 area? Does anyone have any better ideas on adding on to my current qb132s rather then the qb96s? I've added a few pictures of the last grow. Thanks

20200118 204007
20200110 180024
20191202 210132
Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Maybe I should just add 4 more 132s and spread them all evenly. I'd rather have a little more than ideal to be safe.

These!

8 27 19

basscaptain

basscaptain

I would add 1 of these

and 2 of these

basscaptain

basscaptain

your stuff looks good just needs some weight.......

BigCube

BigCube

A common formula is 35w per sq foot minimum.

5x5=25×35=875

Almost double what you have.

Munch517

Munch517

Watts are hard to figure with LED's because efficiency varies so much, those HLG lights are quite efficient and you should be able to get 1-2 grams per watt off them. If your lights were as high off the plant as they are in the pictures that's possibly part of your problem, buy a cheap digital lux meter off Amazon (maybe $30), place your lights where you're getting about 50k-60k lux at the top of the plant, if you can achieve that number somewhat evenly across the canopy then you don't need more light unless you add CO2.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Watts are hard to figure with LED's because efficiency varies so much, those HLG lights are quite efficient and you should be able to get 1-2 grams per watt off them. If your lights were as high off the plant as they are in the pictures that's possibly part of your problem, buy a cheap digital lux meter off Amazon (maybe $30), place your lights where you're getting about 50k-60k lux at the top of the plant, if you can achieve that number somewhat evenly across the canopy then you don't need more light unless you add CO2.
Unfortunately a Lux meter (or phone app) won't be accurate with an LED (It can't see some spectrums), but may be ok as a simple reference. You can get an App for free and see what you think. I have phone on my hone but never use it. I find that going by the leaves is better in my grows.

Here are a few samples. but look..there are tons of them to try

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Unfortunately a Lux meter (or phone app) won't be accurate with an LED (It can't see some spectrums), but may be ok as a simple reference. You can get an App for free and see what you think. I have phone on my hone but never use it. I find that going by the leaves is better in my grows.

LUX meters were made to measure the intensity of white light. They will not be able to determine the intensity of your blues or reds. Human eye also cannot accurately see the intensity of the blues and reds either.

A par meter would more accurately measure spectrum and it's intensity.

Munch517

Munch517

I would not depend on one of those apps. A $30 lux meter like the orange Dr. Meter one you can get on Amazon is a good alternative to a $400 Apogee par meter though. For the purposes of a homegrower placing a light, lux should be adequate, with white LEDs lux isn't even that inaccurate of a measurement.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I would not depend on one of those apps. A $30 lux meter like the orange Dr. Meter one you can get on Amazon is a good alternative to a $400 Apogee par meter though. For the purposes of a homegrower placing a light, lux should be adequate, with white LEDs lux isn't even that inaccurate of a measurement.

I'm not suggesting that people run out and buy a par meter. They aren't exactly cheap. A free LUX app is one thing ... I'm not even suggesting a person rush out and buy a LUX meter, but if a person decides to make that purchase .... I would hope they know exactly what a LUX meter was made to measure ... white light ... not full spectrum grow lights.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I bought a LUX meter to get intensity baseline.

I have one too for the same reason. There is nothing wrong with having one as long as a person knows what they are measuring. I do find it useful but I don't see it as required.

Latest posts

Top Bottom