Variety’s seed selecting and pollination thread

• Thread starter Trustfall
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Ya I still got the tootsie. It’s funny because im not interested in fems but this one I may do. The dude that helped me figure out what the flavor was told me this should be my first fem project.
and in my opinion it absolutely does not self pollinate. It was very clear to me it was the gg4 I had when I harvest a gg4 after the tootsie. I’m not sure if the one I had is the same as Buds, his seems much more dense, mine had duck feet buds that were hard as hell to trim especially on a bummer batch.
Here some tootsie for you day 19. Frost already accumulating.
These were stunting a few days ago after using powersi, it was sinking my ph the 3.9 abut I adjusted it and took a lot of ph up, started noticing issues so I scratched it now they are getting back to normal.
It's funny you say that, cause some of the best crosses I've done have been using females; certainly is much easier to line up outstanding traits, especially if you revegg a plant, or a cross that's a known, and go. That way, both sides are guaranteed to put out excellent female traits, you still get the cross effects. Just put the magic dust on the one I want to shine though the most.

Sativas, landraces are easy, Hybrids and Indica's, not so much. Rudy is probably the most difficult customer, but lends so much stability to anything.

There are some breeders who argue only females should be crossed, period. While I can't say I agree in whole heart, I do see the logic to it. I think reinfusing male lines into the fold is a good thing, if your evolving plants. I might have one or two long term projects, I'm holding onto, over time. But lots of what I find is most interesting is simply lining up the primmest stuff, on both sides and pulling the trigger.

I think generally speaking its always good to have healthy, stable male lines to work from.

growsince79

growsince79

Yea, seed is always hit and miss bro. I agree. There's got to be some better method to the madness; ensuring consistent results across the spectrum. f1's can be all over the map.

I mean, If I'm going for a shotgun effects, panning for something new; I don't mind sorting though some stuff, taking on a few that aren't quite as choice, searching. But there's wisdom in ensuring what your working with, especially if it came from a seed source.

Looks like you got quite the project going on in here right now.😍
I find my true f1 hybrids to be very consistent. The f2 are whats all over the map. I'm talking about true hybrids- not polybrids. What most people call hybrids nowadays are really polybrid.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
It's funny you say that, cause some of the best crosses I've done have been using females; certainly is much easier to line up outstanding traits, especially if you revegg a plant, or a cross that's a known, and go. That way, both sides are guaranteed to put out excellent female traits, you still get the cross effects. Just put the magic dust on the one I want to shine though the most.

Sativas, landraces are easy, Hybrids and Indica's, not so much. Rudy is probably the most difficult customer, but lends so much stability to anything.

There are some breeders who argue only females should be crossed, period. While I can't say I agree in whole heart, I do see the logic to it. I think reinfusing male lines into the fold is a good thing, if your evolving plants. I might have one or two long term projects, I'm holding onto, over time. But lots of what I find is most interesting is simply lining up the primmest stuff, on both sides and pulling the trigger.

I think generally speaking its always good to have healthy, stable male lines to work from.
Going against the grain here frank! Honestly I’m just learning and it’s great. Getting better at picking males. I’m the poly x poly guy for now but things can change.

Last edited:
Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Here ya go Frank, these are the lemon tree x (Indiana bubblegum x c99 male) three in the row first one is the small one (lemon tree leaner) second in the middle (ibg leaner) and the tall one is definitely a c99 leaner lol. We will see in a couple few weeks if I’m right. The good thing is other then the watermelon z sour and 1 or two others I’ve grown out all the parents so kinda have an idea what to look for.

5C5660C0 74C2 4523 B9AC 8D4399A44D1B
349C76E9 43C6 4B4E B0A2 6A8DEB547B53
E82B3259 CC53 4A16 A2F6 94E056E7B4EF
14D003FC 5FD1 42D6 AA68 D31D956B546C
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Going against the grain here frank! Honestly I’m just learning and it’s great. Getting better at picking males. I’m the poly x poly guy for now but things can change.
Yea, I agree.

I enjoy working with a pure line, or cuts; but I'm with you, poly x poly, I have no issues with that, whatsoever. Pure lines are lots of work and longer term projects, IMO. The real key is isolation of desired traits. I have no problems with breeding anything/everything that's really special, and that largely tends to be poly hybrids these days, although I do agree it's good to keep some lines pure; depending on the desired goal.

Pure lines have inherent value, no doubt. Also old forks could create new lines; no doubt about that one either. But that all sounds like longer term work to me. Certainly something I'm interested in also.

I also think having something modern and something original can make a great combination. Especially if the modern is pollinated into the original. I don't like to box myself in on this subject, cause you don't learn new techniques, or grow, doing the same things over and over again. I'm fine with one up's, but it's becoming more clear to me why some approaches work better than others.

I wouldn't mind popping a few of those wedding crashers you've sown; if your up for sending it out. I certainly don't mind pheno hunting anything. Or breeding it to itself and sending some of it back.

What I'd like to do next is isolate say half dozen or so notable pheno's, all females. Each different; then feminize a branch of each plant, (6 pollens) and let the pollens fly everywhere, anywhere. Creating a mass chaos. Then pheno hunt the results.

I'm just not into breeding anything seed sourced anymore, unless it's been fully vetted; in advance, and pheno hunted, ie. identified as a known entity. I can pop 7 seed from the same plant, and get 7 results. Maybe 2 or 3 good pheno, and the rest meh. I want to avoid that pitfall; when possible. I try leaving nothing to chance these days, cause these projects take far too much time and effort, resources, for the results to be average. I want to know for certain that I've got my ducks in a row.

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
@Trustfall Here's what I'm talking about; some of Pedro's offspring; They were the two stinky pheno's out of the bunch, they got feminized late, so there's pollens and flower, all in the same buds, STS induced.

They've been drying a few weeks, but should still be usable. I think I'm going to toss them in the freezer and try to use them on something here soon. Strong citrus tones; no doubt about that one. My plants I had lined up, hit the wall over here when my wife went to the hospital; so ended up culling the whole bunch.

It will take me a little time for me to get these other clones from bud vegged up, and some of the new sprouts, I did a few more glue crosses. Maybe a few more weeks, tops. They've greened up now and transpiring, they was a little stressed at first, it seems.

IMG 20211112 001331879

And the cross I made from using all females; every single bean was exceptionally stinky, and slightly different. I just can't believe the results this last time around. Tooting my horn here,🎺🎷 but really feel like I batted this ⚾ out of the park this time around. Not to mention all the beans are 🐣🐥🐥🐤

I can't wait to start using this same technique on isolated cuts. 🤪
IMG 20211112 000059

Last edited:
Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Yea, I agree.

I enjoy working with a pure line, or cuts; but I'm with you, poly x poly, I have no issues with that, whatsoever. Pure lines are lots of work and longer term projects, IMO. The real key is isolation of desired traits. I have no problems with breeding anything/everything that's really special, and that largely tends to be poly hybrids these days, although I do agree it's good to keep some lines pure; depending on the desired goal.

Pure lines have inherent value, no doubt. Also old forks could create new lines; no doubt about that one either. But that all sounds like longer term work to me. Certainly something I'm interested in also.

I also think having something modern and something original can make a great combination. Especially if the modern is pollinated into the original. I don't like to box myself in on this subject, cause you don't learn new techniques, or grow, doing the same things over and over again. I'm fine with one up's, but it's becoming more clear to me why some approaches work better than others.

I wouldn't mind popping a few of those wedding crashers you've sown; if your up for sending it out. I certainly don't mind pheno hunting anything. Or breeding it to itself and sending some of it back.

What I'd like to do next is isolate say half dozen or so notable pheno's, all females. Each different; then feminize a branch of each plant, (6 pollens) and let the pollens fly everywhere, anywhere. Creating a mass chaos. Then pheno hunt the results.

I'm just not into breeding anything seed sourced anymore, unless it's been fully vetted; in advance, and pheno hunted, ie. identified as a known entity. I can pop 7 seed from the same plant, and get 7 results. Maybe 2 or 3 good pheno, and the rest meh. I want to avoid that pitfall; when possible. I try leaving nothing to chance these days, cause these projects take far too much time and effort, resources, for the results to be average. I want to know for certain that I've got my ducks in a row.
See that pit fall you mentioned at the end I don’t have to worry about. My batches go out the door all or nothing.😁 I can let them be picky but that’s gonna raise the price big time. So for now it’s set em up knock em down. Peat and repeat.
I honestly haven’t found anything I wouldn’t smoke myself. And knock ✊🏻 on 🪵 the hermits have been few and far between. One thing I can bitch about is some stuff has been a little male heavy.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
@Trustfall Here's what I'm talking about; some of Pedro's offspring; They were the two stinky pheno's out of the bunch, they got feminized late, so there's pollens and flower, all in the same buds, STS induced.

They've been drying a few weeks, but should still be usable. I think I'm going to toss them in the freezer and try to use them on something here soon. Strong citrus tones; no doubt about that one. My plants I had lined up, hit the wall over here when my wife went to the hospital; so ended up culling the whole bunch.

It will take me a little time for me to get these other clones from bud vegged up, and some of the new sprouts, I did a few more glue crosses. Maybe a few more weeks, tops. They've greened up now and transpiring, they was a little stressed at first, it seems.

View attachment 1187802

And the cross I made from using all females; every single bean was exceptionally stinky, and slightly different. I just can't believe the results this last time around. Tooting my horn here,🎺🎷 but really feel like I batted this ⚾ out of the park this time around. Not to mention all the beans are 🐣🐥🐥🐤

I can't wait to start using this same technique on isolated cuts. 🤪
View attachment 1187803
Would you be interested in a female sk199 to pollinate? I got another one that’s a little different, never know maybe another sweet treat could pop up.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
See that pit fall you mentioned at the end I don’t have to worry about. My batches go out the door all or nothing.😁 I can let them be picky but that’s gonna raise the price big time. So for now it’s set em up knock em down. Peat and repeat.
I honestly haven’t found anything I wouldn’t smoke myself. And knock ✊🏻 on 🪵 the hermits have been few and far between. One thing I can bitch about is some stuff has been a little male heavy.
Yea, I've had complaints about male heavy also. At first, I was like, hey bub, that's luck of the draw. But after seeing that same complaint in a few batches; there certainly could be something too that.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Would you be interested in a female sk199 to pollinate? I got another one that’s a little different, never know maybe another sweet treat could pop up.
I've got c99 here in the vault; haven't run it in a few years. I'll pass for now; thanks though. She's a great plant, it's just I'm so small here, I'd like to circulate some more things I've never seen until springtime.

All this stuff I've got in the tent right now are first runs; sent from bud. Besides the landrace thai, and a few seed I popped, for backup reserves. I've been looking for the wedding crashers; wedding cake, for awhile now, just haven't got my hands on it yet. I've smoked it a few times, and it's impressive. So is C99, for that matter. A great medical strain, IMO. Fast flowering, potent. Nice citrus tones to it.

TBH, I've had my eyes on some of those big trichome strains of late. Don't really care so much about bud size, or end weight; like those various milk strains. Very impressive stuff IMO. Would like to get my hand on it, for pollen-breeding sake.

Last edited:
Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Yea, I've had complaints about male heavy also. At first, I was like, hey bub, that's luck of the draw. But after seeing that same complaint in a few batches; there certainly could be something too that.
I haven’t had any complaints because I’m pretty much the only one growing these out😅. Want something done you have to do it yourself! Highest male rate was the tk x gcc with 6 males 4 females and one female had some sacks on the lowers so I culled but the three that are female look fire. I’ve also been popping twice the beans to fill the space.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I haven’t had any complaints because I’m pretty much the only one growing these out😅. Want something done you have to do it yourself! Highest male rate was the tk x gcc with 6 males 4 females and one female had some sacks on the lowers so I culled but the three that are female look fire. I’ve also been popping twice the beans to fill the space.
Yea, mine were more on the last run of Frankenstein, and some of the Early Miss Auto's. Don't know why it happened, or even if it actually did. But it was brought to my attention, and I noticed I was discarding half, maybe a little more than half of the plants. I think that last run I had like 21 and only 9 of them were females. No herms, but % in male ratio's could be a real thing, I suppose. I'm certainly not discounting that possibility, but I still think it's just luck of the draw.

But some others say they had worse ratio's. Not sure what to think. Cause male traits can be caused by not doing shit correctly, stress, ect... I just figured maybe the person had some stress issues, heat, ect. It was summertime in Az, so that got me wondering. Not exactly the most hospitable environment.

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
That will make a few seeds
ya think? I kind of wonder how many pollens are actually in one of those bags.😅
I bet it's even more than what we imagine.

My guess is in nature >99%+ of that stuff ends up on the ground, or someplace it's not effective.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
I've got c99 here in the vault; haven't run it in a few years. I'll pass for now; thanks though. She's a great plant, it's just I'm so small here, I'd like to circulate some more things I've never seen until springtime.

All this stuff I've got in the tent right now are first runs; sent from bud. Besides the landrace thai, and a few seed I popped, for backup reserves. I've been looking for the wedding crashers; wedding cake, for awhile now, just haven't got my hands on it yet. I've smoked it a few times, and it's impressive. So is C99, for that matter. A great medical strain, IMO. Fast flowering, potent. Nice citrus tones to it.

TBH, I've had my eyes on some of those big trichome strains of late. Don't really care so much about bud size, or end weight; like those various milk strains. Very impressive stuff IMO. Would like to get my hand on it, for pollen-breeding sake.
Sorry Frank I missed this post earlier. If there’s anything I can help ya with strain wise please just let me know.

Top Bottom