Variety’s seed selecting and pollination thread

• Thread starter Trustfall
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Yea, mine were more on the last run of Frankenstein, and some of the Early Miss Auto's. Don't know why it happened, or even if it actually did. But it was brought to my attention, and I noticed I was discarding half, maybe a little more than half of the plants. I think that last run I had like 21 and only 9 of them were females. No herms, but % in male ratio's could be a real thing, I suppose. I'm certainly not discounting that possibility, but I still think it's just luck of the draw.

But some others say they had worse ratio's. Not sure what to think. Cause male traits can be caused by not doing shit correctly, stress, ect... I just figured maybe the person had some stress issues, heat, ect. It was summertime in Az, so that got me wondering. Not exactly the most hospitable environment.
Stress IMO is a huge factor. Hell the wedding cake bx1’s I had two packs and there was 15 males!!!🤣 but fak me the god damn gnats got into them as soon as they sprouted and messed everything up. Now after I plant the seeds I spray the top of the dirt with DE and they can’t mess with them anymore. 😅

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
That will make a few seeds
ya think? I kind of wonder how many pollens are actually in one of those bags.😅
I bet it's even more than what we imagine.

My guess is in nature >99%+ of that stuff ends up on the ground, or someplace it's not effective.
😁 that dude really pumped it out there lol. My grape cream cake project was very hard to get pollen off the male I chose but then the wedding cake makes mother of gawd there was so much pollen in the tent I had to wipe it down about 20 times before I could get it all out. And I’m extremely allergic to it.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Stress IMO is a huge factor. Hell the wedding cake bx1’s I had two packs and there was 15 males!!!🤣 but fak me the god damn gnats got into them as soon as they sprouted and messed everything up. Now after I plant the seeds I spray the top of the dirt with DE and they can’t mess with them anymore. 😅
Please be more specific here; your saying stress at the time of the sprouting? Or during any time....
I mean cannabis is certainly monoecious leaning; and some strains probably lean that direction more than others. ie. sativa's, and sativa leaning hybrids. So I tend to agree this is likely the case.

This is one I have a difficult time wrapping my head around what's actually happening here. How the plant is actually determining it's gender expression. ie. male; female; bi-sexual or monoecious.

I almost feel like there's 4 clear classifications here; but 2 of them are somewhat murky, and blend together, some overlap.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
ya think? I kind of wonder how many pollens are actually in one of those bags.😅

😁 that dude really pumped it out there lol. My grape cream cake project was very hard to get pollen off the male I chose but then the wedding cake makes mother of gawd there was so much pollen in the tent I had to wipe it down about 20 times before I could get it all out. And I’m extremely allergic to it.
Yea, me too. My nose starts to itch right away, and I can tell pollens anywhere. Head tells me right away. Also such a talc type feel to it. It's pretty obvious if it's there in trace amounts, or not, even if you can't see it clearly, by feel. That silky touch.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Please be more specific here; your saying stress at the time of the sprouting? Or during any time....
I mean cannabis is certainly monoecious leaning; and some strains probably lean that direction more than others. ie. sativa's, and sativa leaning hybrids. So I tend to agree this is likely the case.

This is one I have a difficult time wrapping my head around what's actually happening here. How the plant is actually determining it's gender expression. ie. male; female; bi-sexual or monoecious.

I almost feel like there's 4 clear classifications here; but 2 of them are somewhat murky, and blend together, some overlap.
As you know I’m mot the science guy frank. Only go by what I see personally. I didn’t spray the top of the soil with DE after I planted them and the gnats were out of control elsewhere in the house and they hit them very early. Was my worst ratio to date.
And on the other hand the tk x gccf2’s were 4 females 6 males😮 and they were safe from harm and at the same time the lemon tree x ibg99’s I got 7 females 3 males!😬 so it’s all over the place so far.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Yea, me too. My nose starts to itch right away, and I can tell pollens anywhere. Head tells me right away. Also such a talc type feel to it. It's pretty obvious if it's there in trace amounts, or not, even if you can't see it clearly, by feel. That silky touch.
Can taste it too lol.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
As you know I’m mot the science guy frank. Only go by what I see personally. I didn’t spray the top of the soil with DE after I planted them and the gnats were out of control elsewhere in the house and they hit them very early. Was my worst ratio to date.
And on the other hand the tk x gccf2’s were 4 females 6 males😮 and they were safe from harm and at the same time the lemon tree x ibg99’s I got 7 females 3 males!😬 so it’s all over the place so far.
Yea; it's difficult to say. Need to do widescale pops with lots of controls under varying conditions to tell for sure. Personally, I think if there skewing the ratio's it's done more on the female side and not from the actual male plant. ie. Another females skews the ratio's. That's my belief for what it's worth. The rest is totally random numbers; like throwing dice; or playing roulette.
Probability evens bet in a row

He's a little blurb I'm reading now; on a related subject.

It is predominantly dioecious, meaning a plant is either a male or a female, with estimated haploid genome sizes of 843 Mb and 818 Mb for male and female plants, respectively (Van Bakel et al., 2011). Despite the presence of defined sex chromosomes, environmental factors such as reduced photoperiod and low temperature, and foliar applications of chemicals such as silver nitrate and the ethylene hormone inhibitor silver thiosulfate induce pollen production in female flowers, leading to the production of ‘feminised seeds’ (Ram & Sett, 1982; Kaushal, 2012; Lubell & Brand, 2018). This technique has been exploited as a useful tool in cannabis breeding (for example, selfing or crossing female plants) and in generating populations for dissection of the genetic bases of important traits.

So 843mb - 818mb = 25 mb or about 2.965% of the plant DNA are written for maleness. ie. <3%

Precursor synthesis of these cannabinoids occurs from two distinct metabolic pathways; the polyketide pathway and the methylerythritol phosphate (MEP) pathway (Fig. 1) (Kovalchuk et al., 2020). These produce alkylresorcinolic acids, including olivetolic acid (OA) that is specific to cannabis, and geranyl diphosphate (GPP), respectively. CBGA (cannabigerolic acid) is then synthesized from OA and GPP to produce the acidic precursors of THC (tetrahydrocannabinolic acid; THCA) and CBD (cannabidiolic acid; CBDA)

That pathway in the yellow section there; is primarily created though microbial activity; it seems. I'm trying to read up on methods of how to increase genetic complexity, and spur the plant to evolve and differentiate itself. Not it's not a switch, but a parallel pathway. I really think cannabis is far more capable of evolving than currently understood; I would argue it's mostly driven by conditions. ie. diet, microbes, environmental stimulus.
Pathways

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
This lemon tree x ibg99 starting to terp up and look 👀 at the spread on those fans!
What the heck; lemon tree x ibg99; (lemon tree x Big bud x C99?) It looks very sativa leaning there. Those fans look almost as thin and long as the wild Thai.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
What the heck; lemon tree x ibg99; (lemon tree x Big bud x C99?) It looks very sativa leaning there. Those fans look almost as thin and long as the wild Thai.
Yo Frank! That’s the lemon tree clone x (Indiana bubblegum xc99) . I pollinated the bubblegum with c99 then found a male when I popped a few of those. Then pollinated the dudded lemon tree.
The c99 puts off pine and pine apple phenos of whatever I pollinated with out. The long finger fans come from the pineapple side of the c99😁 the pines are smaller.
here is a pick from the first page of this thread of donkey butter x c99 pineapple leaners. Some of the od xc99 had some really nice fans as well.
But back to the lemon tree x ibg99 that’s probably the best looking fans so far.

39D5314A 10F5 4EAD 84F3 71B6B865D968
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Yo Frank! That’s the lemon tree clone x (Indiana bubblegum xc99) . I pollinated the bubblegum with c99 then found a male when I popped a few of those. Then pollinated the dudded lemon tree.
The c99 puts off pine and pine apple phenos of whatever I pollinated with out. The long finger fans come from the pineapple side of the c99😁 the pines are smaller.
here is a pick from the first page of this thread of donkey butter x c99 pineapple leaners. Some of the od xc99 had some really nice fans as well.
But back to the lemon tree x ibg99 that’s probably the best looking fans so far.
Love it brother, those fine looking giraffe heads 🦒 and that frost, those pistols are looking very 💪
Looks like a vertical frost factory.🥴🥴

What ever your doing to drive this part is where your really nailing it well. Simply Amazing. What's that spray your using? You think that's a part of what's magnify your frost factor?

Last edited:
Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Love it brother, those fine looking giraffe heads 🦒 and that frost, those pistols are looking very 💪
Looks like a vertical frost factory.🥴🥴

What ever your doing to drive this part is where your really nailing it well. Simply Amazing. What's that spray your using? You think that's a part of what's magnify your frost factor?
It’s the only reason I’m still in business Frank… the looks, the terps and the high’s is why they come back. You won’t get the same at the dispensary unless your paying 3-400$ an ounce.
Heavy 16 Foilar is a fantastic product. Here’s a link to better understand what it does then I can tell you. Scroll pass the price tag for the info.
In my terms it makes the fan leaves bigger🤣. Everything else has to be going right as well to really see the benefits. They recommended spraying till day 28 of flower but I will NOT spray anything on my plants after week one.
another benefit is pest like mites and thrips really do not like it.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Tootsie everything is a bit smaller this round which sucks but the quality
Is up.
after switching from silicium to powersi the power si sunk my ph. Took a ton of up to get it back in range and I noticed after about 5-6 days the plants were getting pissed and dropped it from the lineup. Still killed a growth week 😠

0A6FEF63 AB72 48A9 AD25 B91E21FABC02
48DF8319 8972 4FB2 94B9 1044346D0EFA
E3955A52 B0D8 41A6 B47E 5B3E89625BFF
C447622F 5BF7 4F55 A504 1563A6262DC8
A19F2090 BEBA 4FDC 9530 AF82CA95BDF2
Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
This is how I collected the pollen on the lemon tree x ibg99 😁 he gave a lot.
81F3DBD6 03F6 4DD0 8669 21C35C7E1CED
27428B04 C1B7 44E4 AFE5 34FF639589B3

And this female is going to get some pollen to make f2’s and see if I can bump out the Cindy phenos or at least lower the count.
Not the best growing plant, kind of sucks like granddaddy purple but the terps are loud. Not pollinating until next round though want to smoke it to see what’s up first.

D05F0707 3F96 40CB 8FF0 A6F602A07F85
D1F86618 0788 40DD AF41 16F6F09B988D
253A6745 24F2 4D09 967F E23546C2158D
818D6D92 E05B 465D AEAD 313D6703DEED
Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Maybe these will be a little more exciting. Don’t judge them to hard as they are in the worst lighting spots in the room.
3 phenos of triangle kush x grape cream cake f2.
This looks like it will be the heaviest yielder.
C2FCA439 EB2C 4950 9184 DC9640C83C2E
C353498E D2ED 41E1 8113 1D7A2CA76278
6BA1990A 73D5 48FF B93E F43BA5E8C507

and this one is a grape leaner
8B1CEE2C 0832 4C07 B035 0635D26523F2
A1FEE297 0CEB 47B4 B6A9 43775C13AF4D
9E28212D 5579 44D1 B1E2 C05D03127FF5

And my favorite right now a triangle kush leaner
A37E367D B229 4C55 B53E FC70E0801E88
9F341996 2AAC 492E 870A 0A7373FD7862
C1D7C84A CF8F 4D30 BFAC 24ABC205D52F
82A215E8 8982 4978 B625 87C33687E752

Madmax

Madmax

This is how I collected the pollen on the lemon tree x ibg99 😁 he gave a lot.View attachment 1192059View attachment 1192060
And this female is going to get some pollen to make f2’s and see if I can bump out the Cindy phenos or at least lower the count.
Not the best growing plant, kind of sucks like granddaddy purple but the terps are loud. Not pollinating until next round though want to smoke it to see what’s up first.
LOL....howd you bend that stem without snapping it..looks kinda freaky 😃...

Top Bottom