What are the best organic nutrients that I can make or buy?

• Thread starter critical
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

Udyana Peace

Couldn't you add EM to the fermentation process to eliminate most of the odor?

CT_Guy

You certainly could do that and it would definitely take care of the stench.

But that comes at a price. Since you and I last talked about FPE vs BIM (in general) I was taken to school by the scientists at BioAg and the information and links they provided me I learned the following.

1. If you're choosing a plant for its 'secondary metabolites' then you do not want to use lactobacillus or even plant enzymes (papain, et al) because in that extend process the compounds are deconstructed leaving you with the elements but they are not in the strings that you're looking for. Alginic acid and Mannitol in kelp meal is a good example.

This deconstruction comes about because of the assault of 10 or 12 specific strains in the various EM-1 versions in addition to the natural strains floating in the atmosphere - the basis of Carandang's BIM processes.

2. When you go with straight water the lacto strains floating around will inoculate the cistern but at far lower strength levels vs. the ones included in EM-1 meaning that you'll have a fermented tea long before the compounds are destroyed.

That's what I learned away at school anyway - LOL

UP

C

CT Guy

Not a problem CT :)

I was a bit of a skeptic myself lol every time I used to visit my local grow shop all the guy used bang on about was this Plant Magic stuff when I was in there asking/buying Canna.

When I first started growing (hydro) all I used was Canna Aqua range along with HydroGarden dry flower liquid gold for the first few years. I've always bought bottled nutrients because cost was never an option/problem for me as a good friend used to own a grow shop/warehouse so I would buy all my products at cost price. Now that I've started growing again I myself can see the prices of some of these products and indeed they are not cheap.

As I started doing a bit of research it seems that UK based growers where raving about it so I though I would give it a try. To give you an idea on price a 1lt bottle of old timer bloom costs £13/$22 here in the UK and I think thats very good considering.

I'm sorry that I can't provide you with any of the ingredients because I simply do not know.

I hear you about AN a complete waist of money and far to many products in the range.

I never really thought about making my own nutes, any tips?

I bumped a thread I started to give you a little more info on making your own soil mix or liquid nutrients. If this interests you I can send you a PM with some other links...

beezleb878

beezleb878

When I look/investigate/question at a nutrient I do not really pay attention to the price at that stage.

I am trying to learn about the stages of the plants develop and what it truly needs and what I can do organically/tea wise to accommodate. Just like us, we all could probably survive on potatoes and a bit of milk but who would want too so I take that view and look at it from a plant perspective.

The following is just a generically spoken view point I have on the subject, take it for what you will and I am no body brilliant nor smart so please do not look at me as anything more than someone just talking their view point.

I do not believe the all in a bottle or overly simplified systems works better than beginner level. Not talking it down. I am just saying their is only so much control you have over the grow in those types of systems generically spoken. I make it sound like this is undesirable. This is a point people strive for. To have success and once your skills enable to bring a crop in confidence with quality to the point your proud of it is what I call a defining illustration that someone is ready to go onto the next step.

Many people stop right here and are very happy with merit with the quality of their plants and have no desire nor need to change anything. Often the wisdom "dont fix it, if it aint broke" is applicable for many.

I would generically considered a grower at this level skilled but not an expert per say and if akin to vehicles i would say this type of system is akin to a automatic transmission versus a stick shift. Just because its not a complex nutrient system does not mean it is not a quality product. Many ways to get where you want to be.

Now this concept of having more control over your plants should evolve as your knowledge of what is going on matches your skill level and typically a grower will also tend to upgrade and refine the grow area over time as they evolve in skill and knowledge, generically speaking.

This is the time to perhaps check out other companies who have a wide variety of products making the issue more complex and expensive but you gain control or an manual transmission. When you know how to read the plant and understand what and when it needs things on an advanced level then this when its appropriate to step up to that level if you want. I call this the trophy magazine grower. This style can be a race car or it can be a decked chevy nova depending on the growers skills and knowledge.

My organic vision of complex nutrient lines is specialized teas and knowing what and when to brew and apply would represent an advanced organic view point from my direction. For example, instead of saying a person buying all of Advanced nutrients line (example only) a person knew how to make teas to that does those things. So perhaps altering a tea recipe depending on the growth of the plant.

For initial organics I hail SeaMaiden's suggestion of Blue Mountain Organics, it is amazing and when done as suggested via their schedule it works like magic. With organics I notice you should put some nitrogen a few times in flower at key times where as some other nutrient systems do not require that and I believe this conditioned people to not using grow nutrients during parts of the flowering. From my understanding, I believe this is why some people may have issues with some organic lines but I can only speculate as not everyone illustrates their nutrient lines.

Well all that was inspired by killing Kush, thank Sannie if it helped. Blame the internet if it didnt hehe. Likely I am also way off base as well.

I

InTheBeginning

Not a problem CT :)

I was a bit of a skeptic myself lol every time I used to visit my local grow shop all the guy used bang on about was this Plant Magic stuff when I was in there asking/buying Canna.

When I first started growing (hydro) all I used was Canna Aqua range along with HydroGarden dry flower liquid gold for the first few years. I've always bought bottled nutrients because cost was never an option/problem for me as a good friend used to own a grow shop/warehouse so I would buy all my products at cost price. Now that I've started growing again I myself can see the prices of some of these products and indeed they are not cheap.

As I started doing a bit of research it seems that UK based growers where raving about it so I though I would give it a try. To give you an idea on price a 1lt bottle of old timer bloom costs £13/$22 here in the UK and I think thats very good considering.

I'm sorry that I can't provide you with any of the ingredients because I simply do not know.

I hear you about AN a complete waist of money and far to many products in the range.

I never really thought about making my own nutes, any tips?

I would not choose to use bottled nutrients with unknown ingredients. Something 'might' be acceptable if most of the ingredients were listed with a proprietory holdback. There is too much temptation in this money world to slip some soluble chemical nutes in.

Nice looking plants can be grown using chemical nutes....right?

S

Shady Acres

bio heaven is a great product along with their grow and bloom

I

InTheBeginning

CT_Guy

You certainly could do that and it would definitely take care of the stench.

But that comes at a price. Since you and I last talked about FPE vs BIM (in general) I was taken to school by the scientists at BioAg and the information and links they provided me I learned the following.

1. If you're choosing a plant for its 'secondary metabolites' then you do not want to use lactobacillus or even plant enzymes (papain, et al) because in that extend process the compounds are deconstructed leaving you with the elements but they are not in the strings that you're looking for. Alginic acid and Mannitol in kelp meal is a good example.

This deconstruction comes about because of the assault of 10 or 12 specific strains in the various EM-1 versions in addition to the natural strains floating in the atmosphere - the basis of Carandang's BIM processes.

2. When you go with straight water the lacto strains floating around will inoculate the cistern but at far lower strength levels vs. the ones included in EM-1 meaning that you'll have a fermented tea long before the compounds are destroyed.

That's what I learned away at school anyway - LOL

UP

Hey Up wasUP? I'd be real interested in getting the nitty gritty on that which you speak. Are you able to direct me such? via links etc.

~ITB

P

Pott-er

I've had excellent results with Bio-Bizz products for the last couple years. Pulling almost 1.5 grams per watt of some of the frostiest nugs! Had Danny Danko (who is a friend of mine) from high times say its some of the best Super Lemon Haze he has had and since he picks the cannabis cup winners since 2005 I took that as a compliment. I had it lab tested and it scored a 19.1% thc. Now thats an average of 5 tests so its a little more accurate than just taking the peaks of highest test. Hope it helps!

justsomeguy

justsomeguy

everything works. just use it right. go with what feels good for whatever reason.

I

InTheBeginning

So it appears that whoever is the moderator can decide arbitrarily to move a bunch of posts that folks decided belonged in the organic soil forum just because he/she saw the word nutrients? Intelligent! Too much for me. I was trying to post here under the radar but won't be posting much more after this. It is sort of the same thing over at CW. I guess there is good reason to stick with ICMag.

Salutations,
Microbeman

M

mrbong73

So it appears that whoever is the moderator can decide arbitrarily to move a bunch of posts that folks decided belonged in the organic soil forum just because he/she saw the word nutrients? Intelligent! Too much for me. I was trying to post here under the radar but won't be posting much more after this. It is sort of the same thing over at CW. I guess there is good reason to stick with ICMag.

Salutations,
Microbeman

Hey InTheBeginning, good to see you around here.
What's strange is there are usually so many threads in the organic soil forum that do not belong there, not even close. And they end up staying in there. Not sure why this was moved but maybe it got swept out with the other crap that deserved it.
Just a thought.
mrbong

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Perhaps one of the more active moderators could explain it. I always start in my user control panel which always keeps me in subscribed threads (set in options or something similar, I believe) so it doesn't matter where the thread is moved, as long as it still exists.

Wha'd I miss? Long time no see mrbong.

C

campac medical

as alota farmers have said this is a broad question but i gota simple answer for ya, nutes to make will be something ul wanna get into once u understand organics better, organics is basically feeding the soil, the soil will feed the plant, kinda like how a momma bird feeds a baby bird the micro herd in ur soil will help break down the nutes for your plants, that being said some simple nutes to buy are, organic gem fish fertilizer, fox farm big bloom, most of the humolt nutrients products are organic, organics alive, sum earthjuice products(be sure to read label), any dr. earth products work great the all purpose 4-4-4 is great for layering your soil with as well as makin compost teas with, compost teas are ur best friend in organics my friend, jus add sum dr. earth all purpose, with sum earthworm castings and a table spoon of un-sulphured mollasses witha gallon of de-chlorinated water, bubble it for 24hrs,and it will make a bomb tea for veg. for flowering i like to make my own teas using nutes u can buy in bulk from most feed stores, bone meal, high phosphorus bird guano, kelp meal, with sum earthworm castings, un-sulphured mollasses, an fox farm big bloom and u got urself a excellent flowering tea, if u chose not to use compost teas i would use nutes from either humbolt nutrients or biothrive, both seem to have great reputation as organic nute companys,
as far as bulk nutes u can buy, bone meal, blood meal, kelp meal, fish meal, crab meal, alfalfa meal, organic rice, bird guano, bat guano, greensand, crushed oyster shells, dolomite lime, soft rock phosphate, gypsum, azomite, an earthworm casting are a few admendments u can choose from, they are all great admendments, the dolomite will help balance ph in ur soil so will oyster shellls, a major important thing to add to your mix are sum mycros, get a product such as great white shark, or humbolt mycro maximum to add to your mix, when growing organic it is major important to use de-chlorinated water, chlorine is a bacteriacide that will kill all the benificial bacteria in your mix, fox farm ocean forrest is a good soil mix to start with, also check in your local area to see if there is a worm farm in your area, worm farms are a great place to get bulk worm castings and most farms also make theyre own soil mix that u can buy thas ususally loaded with mycros an castings, i use my local farms soil mix and cut in half with fox farm ocean forrest, and cut that with a little more perlite and ive been loving the results, happy farming my friend, and remeber ud better panic when its organic cause its gonna knock you on your ass lol

C

critical

I've been reading a good bit on using human urine to fertlize, and lemme tell ya, it's making me wonder why anyone would let good pee go to waste. Works better than chemical salt fertilizers in every test and experiment I've found. In combination with wood ashes and it's even better.

thanks for highlighting this seamaiden, a very funny fact but, i recently herd the same thing from a friend of mine, do you know abit about this or could u expand on this at all?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hi critical. I only know what I've been reading, and most of that has been studies and research based on dealing with two problems in poor communities--handling septic waste and fertilizing food crops without using chemical (expensive) inputs. It began with an article in Scientific American on a study done by a couple in... Iceland I think it was, that demonstrated that a combination of wood ashes and urine out-performed chemical salt fertilizers every time. Started searching more on it and discovered that even urine alone seems to outperform chem salts.

General Google search: Human urine as fertilizer.
Google Scholar search: Human urine as fertilizer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom