What do you think my deficiency is?

• Thread starter Theknowledgeplague
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Soo question about gypsum, does it lower ph? I've been reading and it sais the opposite.
It lowers and balances the lower ph with calcium (raises ph) and sulfur(lowers ph). Gypsum lowers ph to a certain point. Looking at the amounts of calcium and sulfur in the gypsum will give you a better idea of how it will change soil ph. Higher sulfur will balance out a lower ph than one with less sulfur.

Lets say your gypsum has 18%ca 28%S. The acid part of this amendment is 10% higher. that means your ph will go lower than a different brand of gypsum with lets say 5% less Sulfur than the stated 18 28 form of gypsum.

An 18ca 23S form of gypsum wouldnt lower the ph as much as the 28% form. Still would lower and balance ph just not as low.

Sulfur is the better choice to lower soil ph. You can use straight peat moss. Coffee grounds too... I believe i read that peat ph can be as low as 3.8 ph...lol....5.5 is the norm isnt it? So if your ph was 7 and your peat was 4.8 wow. That's a 5.7 ph in however long it takes to breakdown..

Point is gypsum does lower ph with the sulfur in it. It also balances the ph with calcium...

What good is gypsum in coco? Lol!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It lowers and balances the lower ph with calcium (raises ph) and sulfur(lowers ph). Gypsum lowers ph to a certain point. Looking at the amounts of calcium and sulfur in the gypsum will give you a better idea of how it will change soil ph. Higher sulfur will balance out a lower ph than one with less sulfur.

Lets say your gypsum has 18%ca 28%S. The acid part of this amendment is 10% higher. that means your ph will go lower than a different brand of gypsum with lets say 5% less Sulfur than the stated 18 28 form of gypsum.

An 18ca 23S form of gypsum wouldnt lower the ph as much as the 28% form. Still would lower and balance ph just not as low.

Sulfur is the better choice to lower soil ph. You can use straight peat moss. Coffee grounds too... I believe i read that peat ph can be as low as 3.8 ph...lol....5.5 is the norm isnt it? So if your ph was 7 and your peat was 4.8 wow. That's a 5.7 ph in however long it takes to breakdown..

Point is gypsum does lower ph with the sulfur in it. It also balances the ph with calcium...

What good is gypsum in coco? Lol!
Just clear up gypsum is pretty much PH neutral... no calcium doesn't not raise PH

Theknowledgeplague

Theknowledgeplague

Just clear up gypsum is pretty much PH neutral... no calcium doesn't not raise PH
Basically what I thought, I will still put alittle amount on the weaker plant to test this out (will check runoff a few days after application) I kept 2 of my girls in 1gals for testing purposes only, lucky enough I can keep them in veg while the other girls go out to flower in the following weeks

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Yeah i mean rock dusts take a bit to go into action, its about the granule size in terms of break down. I think its really about putting it into your mix rather than using to correct your immediate Ph issues. But the added benefit of Ca couldn't hurt, as well as sulphur. Ca or Calcium is the main ingredient in Lime or any Liming agent. Its the primary mineral in gypsum, lime stone; or calcium carbonate. Calcium is what balances your PH. Ca is the third most common metal in earths crust and its a alkaline earth metal, actually silvery and metal in its pure form.

Theknowledgeplague

Theknowledgeplague

Yeah i mean rock dusts take a bit to go into action, its about the granule size in terms of break down. I think its really about putting it into your mix rather than using to correct your immediate Ph issues. But the added benefit of Ca couldn't hurt, as well as sulphur. Ca or Calcium is the main ingredient in Lime or any Liming agent. Its the primary mineral in gypsum, lime stone; or calcium carbonate. Calcium is what balances your PH. Ca is the third most common metal in earths crust and its a alkaline earth metal, actually silvery and metal in its pure form.
Sounds good Soo I checked my ph on them all individually and they all ready between ph 6.6-7.0 now which is alil better but meh (I received the gypsum yesterday) I only added some to one of the weaker looking girl to see its effects on the plant before giving it to all of them and suffer later I gave it 1tbsp and then water in at 5.8 I'll check up on her in a couple days and not water crazy runoff so it stays abit

Theknowledgeplague

Theknowledgeplague

I believe the yellowing tips could also maybe a potassium deficiency?

Theknowledgeplague

Theknowledgeplague

I believe the yellowing tips could also maybe a potassium deficiency?
20210217 105751

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

How doesnt calcium raise ph? We use dolomite lime to bring our ph up (raise) dont we? Dont all cations raise ph because they are positively charged?

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

i would hit em with some potassium or a nice balanced fert at this point, your looking very good could blast em with more N. A nice balanced nute used twice or thrice weekly would work great for you.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

How doesnt calcium raise ph? We use dolomite lime to bring our ph up (raise) dont we? Dont all cations raise ph because they are positively charged?
Because it's the form of calcium... calcium nitrate will lower PH. Calcium carbonate will raise PH...

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah looks like potassium to me. Are you using a high P fert?

Adding something like potassium silicate would be a good option. They will appreciate the silica also.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Because it's the form of calcium... calcium nitrate will lower PH. Calcium carbonate will raise PH...
Wonder if its because the cal gets eaten with the nitrate and through nitrification it loses its ability to react in a ph balancing role. Can ionic calcium regulate ph in anyway?

Theknowledgeplague

Theknowledgeplague

Yeah looks like potassium to me. Are you using a high P fert?

Adding something like potassium silicate would be a good option. They will appreciate the silica also.
I haven't given any supplements for potassium apart from my base nutrient that's why my belief was a lack and for the guy talking about cal/mag.. dude I fixed that issue they be getting cal/mag trust me man

Top Bottom