What line up for coco?

• Thread starter LexLuthor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GreenTnT

GreenTnT

I use H&G coco nutrients but I'm not very happy with them, want to use different formula for veg and flower...

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

^^^^Thats what I wanna know because I have always heard good things about H&G.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I use H&G coco nutrients but I'm not very happy with them, want to use different formula for veg and flower...

If you like H&G run the Aqua Flakes.

Coco coir just isn't like other media. It has a lot of unique physical and chemical properties that might actually make typical hydroponic nutrients less than ideal. Most hydroponic products assume that you will use something like rockwool, perlite, clay pebbles, air, or water as a medium, and design their nutrient balance around these kinds of media deliver nutrients. But because coconut fiber is unique, it might actually retain certain nutrients while releasing others at a faster rate. This means that your plants might suffer from a nutrient deficiency even if the nutrients appear to be perfectly balanced in your reservoir. Rinse with Freshwater Before Use - One of primary concerns of using coconut coir as a hydroponic medium is salt content. Coconut husks have a naturally high amount of salt, and that might negatively affect your conductivity and cause salt buildup. Most of the higher quality coconut coir is thoroughly rinsed before it is sold, but much of the cheaper coconut fiber you find usually contains high levels of salt. If you can, opt for the higher quality, pre rinsed medium. But either way, you should rinse it with fresh, pH balanced water before placing it in your growing trays or buckets.

If the nutrients you're using are not designed to be coco coir safe, you'll not only be missing out on the gigantic yields you could be getting using coco coir... you run the risk poisoning or starving your plants. Only the highest quality, chelated forms of magnesium and calcium are able to succeed in a growing environment that uses coco coir.

Besides being a quote from Advanced you have a lot of experience in this right? Because I can say that's a bunch of bullshit. Coco doesn't need special nutes. Maybe it needs special water also? lol.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

If you like H&G run the Aqua Flakes.

Besides being a quote from Advanced you have a lot of experience in this right? Because I can say that's a bunch of bullshit. Coco doesn't need special nutes. Maybe it needs special water also? lol.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he meant they need "special" nutrients. Most of the big nutrient manufacturers make specific lines of products for certain substrates i.e., Canna Coco, H&G Coco, ect., so these companies make nutrients specifically for coco coir and they also make nutes for soil and recirc. systems. I don't know if he got that from Advanced Nutrients but either way he is right, if you have plants growing in coco and you feed them something designed for soil your gonna end up with deficiencies because coco coir absorbs and releases nutrients differently then soil, same goes with recirc. systems. I don't know, maybe you misunderstood what he said, but what did he say that's such bullshit????

GreenTnT

GreenTnT

What dont you like about H&G.I ve thought about switchig to them.
they are good no doubt, all their products are very strong, but I want go grow with different formula on basic nutrient for veg and for flowering, I saw that H&G have coco nutrients for vega and for flores too, may be they are only for UK, don't know... anyone use them?

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he meant they need "special" nutrients. Most of the big nutrient manufacturers make specific lines of products for certain substrates i.e., Canna Coco, H&G Coco, ect., so these companies make nutrients specifically for coco coir and they also make nutes for soil and recirc. systems. I don't know if he got that from Advanced Nutrients but either way he is right,

Are there rockwool nutes? How bout hydroton nutes? Have you tried this? Point being it's a gimick. I have fed soil nutes on my tables. I have fed hydro nutes to my soil plants. Have never once used coco nutes in the 4 or 5 years I've been growing in coco. Talk about real world experience not what is "supposed to happen." Look at GH 3 part. Works for everything. Blows most shit out of the water. Why? because a grower can tweak the formula to do what they want. Not buy a whole bunch of different bottles for different mediums. Don't get me wrong I to was once that way. I still try a lot of things. In the end most all big name nutes are good. Work very well in almost all mediums. I chalk grower error up to most bashing then the actual nutes themselves.

if you have plants growing in coco and you feed them something designed for soil your gonna end up with deficiencies because coco coir absorbs and releases nutrients differently then soil, same goes with recirc. systems. I don't know, maybe you misunderstood what he said, but what did he say that's such bullshit????

It's weird how someone like Botanicare has their coco nutes, soil nutes, and hydro nutes all in the same bottle for PBP.
PureBlendProGrow_GallonBottle.jpg

or their soil and coco nutes for CNS17 Veg and Bloom, which BTW you are also supposed use for hydro.

CN17CocoGrow_GallonBottle.jpg

CN17CocoBloom_GallonBottle.jpg

They prob do that so you get deficiencies.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I didn't say they have nutes for every specific media, everybody knows coco is alot different then soil. Why would you need nutes for rockwool or hydroton when that is considered hydro and they make nutes for that?? I understand what you meant, you were trying to make a point and being sarcastic but rockwool and hydroton don't absorb nutes like coco does. Not everyone wants to tweak there own formulas or have time to do so. A nute line specifically designed for coco is great so somebody thats new to the media could just use a basic 2 part and get great results with that.

Alot of those lines like PBP that you said is made for all mediums end up needing you to add supplements when growing in coco, but Fox Farm trio I'm using in soil right now with no deficiencies at all. Now if I use FF in coco I bet I end up with deficiencies because the ratios are different then lines formulated for coco and I'm sure they don't have enough CaMg.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I didn't say they have nutes for every specific media, everybody knows coco is alot different then soil. Why would you need nutes for rockwool or hydroton when that is considered hydro and they make nutes for that?? I understand what you meant, you were trying to make a point and being sarcastic but rockwool and hydroton don't absorb nutes like coco does. Not everyone wants to tweak there own formulas or have time to do so. A nute line specifically designed for coco is great so somebody thats new to the media could just use a basic 2 part and get great results with that.

Alot of those lines like PBP that you said is made for all mediums end up needing you to add supplements when growing in coco, but Fox Farm trio I'm using in soil right now with no deficiencies at all. Now if I use FF in coco I bet I end up with deficiencies because the ratios are different then lines formulated for coco and I'm sure they don't have enough CaMg.

You really haven't used any of these nutes have you? CNS17 has tons of Calmg in it as do most nutes. A lot of Calmg issues are related to PH swings from unexperienced growers. I haven't used calmg in a while except in foliar spray at the beginning for flower. Coco is a soilless hydroponic medium. Just like rockwool and hydroton. Believe what you want but most of what has been said is false or hype. If you want to buy into that that go for it. Just don't discount stuff about coco and don't believe a lot of what is quoted because it is simply not true. As far as GH 3 part you dont have to tweak the formula. You can if you want to. Plenty of charts and feed schedules. I use CNS17 for veg and FNB for flower. Why because they are one part and I dont have time to spend 8 hrs a day in my rooms. I also don't have to add anything else if I don''t want to.

Again take it for what you will. Coco nutes are a joke. Just buy regular nutes and save your money and time.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

You really haven't used any of these nutes have you? CNS17 has tons of Calmg in it as do most nutes. A lot of Calmg issues are related to PH swings from unexperienced growers. I haven't used calmg in a while except in foliar spray at the beginning for flower. Coco is a soilless hydroponic medium. Just like rockwool and hydroton. Believe what you want but most of what has been said is false or hype. If you want to buy into that that go for it. Just don't discount stuff about coco and don't believe a lot of what is quoted because it is simply not true. As far as GH 3 part you dont have to tweak the formula. You can if you want to. Plenty of charts and feed schedules. I use CNS17 for veg and FNB for flower. Why because they are one part and I dont have time to spend 8 hrs a day in my rooms. I also don't have to add anything else if I don''t want to.

Again take it for what you will. Coco nutes are a joke. Just buy regular nutes and save your money and time.

Ok, I know exactly what you are saying and I'm sure alot of companies purposely make all these different types of nutes just to make more money, your right about that. AN for example has over 20 (maybe more) different bottles of stuff which IMO is totally unnecessary, but, it's really not a big deal if you buy nutes specific for coco because they cost the same as there soil or recirc. counterparts. So if I'm growing 10 plants in coco and I have the choice between Canna Coco A+B or Canna Vega+Flores why not get the coco formula?? The price is the same and the Coco has slightly different ingrediants that better suits coco coir. Even if I got the Vega and Flores they cost the same but it doesn't have as much CalMag compared to Coco A+B, right??

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Ok, I know exactly what you are saying and I'm sure alot of companies purposely make all these different types of nutes just to make more money, your right about that. AN for example has over 20 (maybe more) different bottles of stuff which IMO is totally unnecessary, but, it's really not a big deal if you buy nutes specific for coco because they cost the same as there soil or recirc. counterparts. So if I'm growing 10 plants in coco and I have the choice between Canna Coco A+B or Canna Vega+Flores why not get the coco formula?? The price is the same and the Coco has slightly different ingrediants that better suits coco coir. Even if I got the Vega and Flores they cost the same but it doesn't have as much CalMag compared to Coco A+B, right??

No idea. Never ran anything from canna except their loose coco. Too expensive. Does it list Ca? If you have to add it then you need better nutes.

The Terra and the Aqua are almost the same:

Terra Vega = 7 - 3 - 8.5
Terra Flores = 5 - 4.5 - 9.5

Aqua Vega = 6 - 2 - 8
Aqua Flores = 5 - 3 - 10

Coco = 5 - 3 - 4

Coco has less K. That would account for coco locking up and releasing K as it breaks down. That's great but I don't reuse my coco as a lot of people I know don't so that has never really been a problem or an issue. Again coco nutes work not saying they dont but you dont need coco specific nutes to grow non nute deficient dank in coco. After seeing those numbers I would prob only use the coco for everything (soil, hydro, and coco). I agree with you there on the Advanced.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

No idea. Never ran anything from canna except their loose coco. Too expensive. Does it list Ca? If you have to add it then you need better nutes.

The Terra and the Aqua are almost the same:

Terra Vega = 7 - 3 - 8.5
Terra Flores = 5 - 4.5 - 9.5

Aqua Vega = 6 - 2 - 8
Aqua Flores = 5 - 3 - 10

Coco = 5 - 3 - 4

Coco has less K. That would account for coco locking up and releasing K as it breaks down. That's great but I don't reuse my coco as a lot of people I know don't so that has never really been a problem or an issue. Again coco nutes work not saying they dont but you dont need coco specific nutes to grow non nute deficient dank in coco. After seeing those numbers I would prob only use the coco for everything (soil, hydro, and coco). I agree with you there on the Advanced.

Yeah they are very similar but I thought there were other ingredients then NPK that effect the coco, IDK. Everybody should just use what works for there plants. I started this thread because I never used coco coir before and just wanted peoples opinions on whats one of the best 1 or 2 part nutrient line for coco because I have Fox Farm I use in soil and I don't think that would be very effective compared to Canna Coco, PBP, CNS17 or H&G Coco.

ogtealover420

ogtealover420

Well my understanding with the whole Cal/Mag thing and coco is.... when it comes to coco the coco has a different Cation Exchange Capacity or CEC than soil or potting mixes.. The coco has a greater capacity as well as a special need for a touch extra of Cal/Mag and it is needed for uptake purposes I beleive ...... I prefer a mix 60/40 coco and perilite with 1-2 Tbs. of lime per gal. of coco.
I use peruvian seabird guano and bat guano in my A.C.T.'s . I use all types of goodies-Humic acid, Fulvic acid, mollasses, blue agave nectar, organic sugar, plant success(at planting and as a amendment for teas), stevia, EWC are great addition as well! I like to make the botton of a large "final container" really "hot" by adding extra guano to my usual mix which is a standard 1-2 TBS per gallon of mix. So I add up to 2-5 Tbs. guano plus 1 Tbs. extra of lime per gal of already mixed coir&ammendments. Never burns em and the Peruvian guano is 10-10-2 ! Only thing I add besides the ACT's would be 1/16th or a low ppm bloom booster with high P/K I get a delicous fade every time. Also coco is bomb for cuttings .

turbo14

turbo14

Sensi A + B
Cal Mag+
Silica Blast
Hydroplex
Moab
Carbo-load

Dripped every 4 hours for a minute with the lights on. I'm at the end of the 2nd week and shit is looking off the meter. I have 70 gallon rez's that are changed every 10 days.

I also have been testing Botanicare's CNS17 Bloom on some 10 Gallon Pure Cyco Coco plants.For these I have been supplementing the yellow bottle supplements.

I fucking love Coco

turbo..

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I still haven't started my coco grow yet, I put 5 of my Blueberry seeds in Ocean Forest instead because I didn't wanna fuck up my Blueberry seeds. I still have 5 seeds of BB and I got 5 other seeds of The Doctor feminised, so once I'm done with my BB grow I'm DEFINATELY going with coco. I'm using GH KoolBloom as a PK boost for the 1st time with my Big Bang thats flowering right now and I like it, so I might take your advice southernstyle and go with GH Flora micro and bloom. I'll update this thread once I start my coco run in a couple months, sorry about the delay guys :(

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Bump

Hahaa, I bumped my own thread.

I made this almost a year ago and I still never used coco LOL. I got GH CocoTek bricks and the seeds are germing right now. Took me forever to finally go with coco but I kept changing my mind. I'm gonna use GH Micro/Bloom, 6/9 Heads Formula, with Epsom. I'm mixing the coco with perlite about 60/40, I don't really need advice I'm just letting ya'll know what I'm doing now because it was suppose to be a long time ago.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

GH had some serious salt content in my coco. just given u a heads up, used hygrozyme to help. I switched to h&g aqua flakes (recommended instead of thier cocos mix) had better results. Seen dutch master do good things too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom