What You Guys Think Of Smartpots Indoor ?

• Thread starter Panchojr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Savage Henry

Savage Henry

ugg,salt buildup,havent thought of that but doesnt flushing keep that down?
wouldnt no till run into that same issue?
what about just emptying the pots and washing them in a washing machine every 4 grows or so.wouldnt the benefits outway the minor trouble?

I wash em and sanitize em after every round, the salt buildup happens after about a month or two, and flushing doesn't help as the salt seems to migrate to the outside of the pots. And once those roots die they appear to attract gnats and pythium.

Maybe it would help if I used a watering wand but I'm on drippers, and using salts in coir, so it is what it is I suppose.

robomont

robomont

to make rock candy,sugar water is wicked onto a string and forms crystals,i wonder if the cloth is doing this and a rinse on the outside is all thats needed.
have you seen salt effects on the plants?

420Artie

420Artie

I wash em and sanitize em after every round, the salt buildup happens after about a month or two, and flushing doesn't help as the salt seems to migrate to the outside of the pots. And once those roots die they appear to attract gnats and pythium.

Maybe it would help if I used a watering wand but I'm on drippers, and using salts in coir, so it is what it is I suppose.
How do you sanitize them? after mine come out the washer I throw them in 30 gal trash can with water and about half gallon of alcohol.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

to make rock candy,sugar water is wicked onto a string and forms crystals,i wonder if the cloth is doing this and a rinse on the outside is all thats needed.
have you seen salt effects on the plants?

Excellent imagery, I beleive that's exactly what happens. I've seen some effects. I picture the salt sitting there and getting wicked into the medium and raising the overall ec. But I'm hesitant to single out the smart pot as the main cause of that, as there are ALWAYS so many mitigating factors. So, you know, eliminate one thing at a time until you find the culprit sort of thing.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

How do you sanitize them? after mine come out the washer I throw them in 30 gal trash can with water and about half gallon of alcohol.
Run a soak then full cycle in the washin machine with a bottle of h2o2, then with bleach. This is after rinsing them in the sink and a wash cycle with dish soap.

P

Panchojr

10 gal and fewer plants and got more yield.
Yea I'm upgrade on my next grow but I was thinking of just going in 3 gal and the plant like 5 plants in a 200g and grow them there for a week ,what you think ?

Cali clouds

Cali clouds

I used 5 gallon smart pots for a couple years. I don't see any yeild difference. with the proper mixed medium you can make aeration happen at whatever rate you want. Air prooning happens to all roots in all pots when they dry and the soil pulls away from the sides, you have air between the pot and the medium. You will definitely see salt build up and they hold seeds from weeds and mold spores. I would wash my pots every run in a trash can full of bleach water and as soon as the wind blows or you set one down they pick shit up. I would get alot of mushrooms and clovers growing off of them along with all kind of nasty molds were they sat on the tables. Stuff doesn't grow on plastic, simple choice for me

IIIQBIII

IIIQBIII

Do you yield more ? With the smart pots

I couldn't say. I would have to do a comparison with clones. I'm sure someone has done this. I'll try and do this randomly in one of my cycles. Not sure when I will be able to though.

I used them forever, but find myself moving away from em. Yes they increase aeration. Yes they prune the roots in the edges nicely. BUT (ime) the pots build up salt over time and end up cooking those lovely little roots poking out the sides.

That said, I still use them sometimes.

What are you using instead if you don't mind me asking? I have also noticed salt build up, but only once. They are cheap enough that I would replace them if washing them became too tedious.

I would wash my pots every run in a trash can full of bleach water and as soon as the wind blows or you set one down they pick shit up. I would get alot of mushrooms and clovers growing off of them along with all kind of nasty molds were they sat on the tables. Stuff doesn't grow on plastic, simple choice for me

Wow that is pretty extreme :D. I have never had anything like that happen at all, but the "cloth" pots I use are made of recycled plastic so it doesn't really degrade in any way. (If you believe what the website says about them). Only being a few dollars I would just replace them if I had any issues, just because its not worth upsetting the balance in the room over something that costs $4. I could see if you had a bunch of plants, it could get pricey.

Stuff definitely grows on plastic though. :eyepiece: Its not easy to keep everything perfectly disinfected.
"Many different types of mold can grow on plastic, dependent on the conditions of the surface of the plastic. The greater the moisture and oxygen present, the quicker mold will grow. This can occur both indoors and outdoors."

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

What are you using instead if you don't mind me asking? I have also noticed salt build up, but only once. They are cheap enough that I would replace them if washing them became too tedious.

Plastic nursery pots. I like the square ones that angle down slightly so the bottom has less surface area than at the top. Helps immensely in drain-to-waste. And they're super easy to clean and disinfect.

Edit: come to think of it, ime cleaning the fabric pots IS tedious and time consuming. And resource consuming since im running the washer several times.

robomont

robomont

i would think something like denim would breath better than plastic cloth.ive wonderered about the square plastic pots with beveled bottoms.i see them at home depot.im currently using 3gal cheap plastic pots with stainless screen lined in bottoms.plastic sheeting instead of drip trays.

Buddaone1

Buddaone1

I use to use 3g soft pots but now I use 5g. I have noticed a substantial increase in the stalk size. Yes I do veg them longer than most ppl do but I put 1 plant under 1 1000w and i'll get 1.5-2 out of her depending on strain. veggin normally lasts 1.5-2.5 months also depending on strain but with a perpetual grow I always have clones, veg plants, flowering, and harvesting every 1.5 weeks. How I sanitize the pots after each use is throw them away. What's $4 to get 6k without the hassle not to mention you don't have to ruin your washer filling it with all that dirt. Just like certain chemicals or lights, if the product comes out bigger or better, then it'll be money well spent.

P

Panchojr

the only downside is see with your method is you would have most lights on to veg do to size of pots. With 3,5&10 you can cram them under 1 or 2 lights while vegging.
Yea that's true but I'm planing to put them in those pots when I'm about to bloom and grow them in 3-7 gallon

P

Panchojr

I use to use 3g soft pots but now I use 5g. I have noticed a substantial increase in the stalk size. Yes I do veg them longer than most ppl do but I put 1 plant under 1 1000w and i'll get 1.5-2 out of her depending on strain. veggin normally lasts 1.5-2.5 months also depending on strain but with a perpetual grow I always have clones, veg plants, flowering, and harvesting every 1.5 weeks. How I sanitize the pots after each use is throw them away. What's $4 to get 6k without the hassle not to mention you don't have to ruin your washer filling it with all that dirt. Just like certain chemicals or lights, if the product comes out bigger or better, then it'll be money well spent.
You are scoring ?

Top Bottom