Whats wrong with Tap Water. Is RO necessary?

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I have seen a lot of posts about the necessity of using RO or distilled water when the tap water is anything over 100PPM. I have used tap water at around 275 for decades and never had problems, or needed to add things like Cal-Mag or other supplements, which can skew the Ph and open up a Pandora's box of issues. What are your parameters for determining when a water source isn't suitable for growing? I can see not using water that is off the charts in PPMs, Ph, or other compunds, like chlorines, Iron, and Sulfur. All are essential for growing in small amounts. How many really have a need for treating their water in some fashion, other than adding Ph up/down?

Anthem

Anthem

I have seen a lot of posts about the necessity of using RO or distilled water when the tap water is anything over 100PPM. I have used tap water at around 275 for decades and never had problems, or needed to add things like Cal-Mag or other supplements, which can skew the Ph and open up a Pandora's box of issues. What are your parameters for determining when a water source isn't suitable for growing? I can see not using water that is off the charts in PPMs, Ph, or other compunds, like chlorines, Iron, and Sulfur. All are essential for growing in small amounts. How many really have a need for treating their water in some fashion, other than adding Ph up/down?
Good Information here sir. I also use tap water as well. Comes out of the tap between 150 to 180 ppm, although I do use a filter for Chlorines. They only cost about 40 bucks and will treat 5000 gallons.

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

I use tap water with no issues. Never have measured ppm

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Will never use my tap water (municipal) to feed plants,drink or cook with. Nice to have meters to check the ppm and ph to know better.

fishbuds

fishbuds

depends on your source, 125-250 ppm without ridiculous stuff in it, just a standard hard h2o with plenty of cal and mag in it, seems to do pretty good, ph 7.0 comin out, add some nutes 6.3-6.8 viola. cal mag, what is that?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

The only real problem with even most hard 250 or more ppm is that the medium will build up calcium over time cause its like pouring extra lime in every watering.

Calcium excess blocks most everything else from uptake.

Mr.Juice

Mr.Juice

When I switched to RO it just caused nothing but problems. Then I started doing half and half, and eventually it was too much of a bother. I fill water jugs and then run a bubbler. I think people try to fuck with their grows too much and then run into issues. Keep things simple

Formallyhap

Formallyhap

I use RO because I have it for my fish tanks and someone told me nute formulas were intended for RO.
Now that I think about it the grows I did before I got the RO DI did have less random issues.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
When I switched to RO it just caused nothing but problems. Then I started doing half and half, and eventually it was too much of a bother. I fill water jugs and then run a bubbler. I think people try to fuck with their grows too much and then run into issues. Keep things simple
The slogan “keep it simple stupid” came to my head after reading this. So true though.

Mr.Juice

Mr.Juice

Don’t forget, RO systems are not the most efficient (despite what the manufacturer claims) youre looking at 4L of water used for every 1L of RO. Adds up if you need to water a lot. So your water costs are 4X and you have to buy some sort of supplement like Cal-Mag (another added cost) . I use AN cause I like not having to worry about pH but I’m still convinced most nutes are just fancy labelled bottles. Get the same results using the tub of blue crystals from crapy tire or home gardening center.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

First, in more and more municipalities are recycling water, This water contains drug residues that their methods do not remove. Beyond that whose minerals are thy buying... what quality...

Since we should all be drinking and cooking with RO water, it's a small leap to use it to mix your nutes

iSpring with a booster pump is ~ $300

hth

MercDod

MercDod

I use well water with EC of 0.0 and ph about 5.9. If mixing a small amount I sometimes use my dehumidifier water which is close to the same.

Anthem

Anthem

Ro water has some advantages and some disadvantages. Advantage is you are starting at Zero PPM and you will be adding all of the nutrients to the solution to get the PPMs to the desired amount. There is no guess work about how much Calcium or Magnesium are in the water.
Down side is cost and waste. The best units are 2 to 1 units. You get 1 gallon for every 2 gallons.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ro water has some advantages and some disadvantages. Advantage is you are starting at Zero PPM and you will be adding all of the nutrients to the solution to get the PPMs to the desired amount. There is no guess work about how much Calcium or Magnesium are in the water.
Down side is cost and waste. The best units are 2 to 1 units. You get 1 gallon for every 2 gallons.
Yeah the cheap ones can be over 5 to 1… very wasteful

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Ran tapwater hydro for 15 years no issue ppm @140

Latest posts

Top Bottom